• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2017 Conference Thread [Over]

Adam M

I don't understand why people are disappointed and expected (more) new announcements. All big Sony studios have announced their games who had no games for a while except Sucker Punch. why would they announce more while plenty are unreleased?

Sony clearly focused on their 2018 line up instead of 2017. Probably this year they will hold a conference at Gamescom which will focus on the 2017 line up.

2017 is still a good year for Sony. Horizon, Uncharted, Detroit, GT Sport are big titles

Anyways, I'm happy with the E3 games. Who cares which conference was the best, combine all and there were great games, period.

Gamescom is not far away :p And at PSX the Last of Us Part 2 demo will hopefully satisfy everyone :)

I don't understand why people are disappointed and expected (more) new announcements. All big Sony studios have announced their games who had no games for a while except Sucker Punch. why would they announce more while plenty are unreleased?

Sony clearly focused on their 2018 line up instead of 2017. Probably this year they will hold a conference at Gamescom which will focus on the 2017 line up.

2017 is still a good year for Sony. Horizon, Uncharted, Detroit, GT Sport are big titles

Anyways, I'm happy with the E3 games. Who cares which conference was the best, combine all and there were great games, period.

Gamescom is not far away :p And at PSX the Last of Us Part 2 demo will hopefully satisfy everyone :)
2017 is a great year, but Sony should have shown the rest of the 17 titles on the show. It was such a moronic marketing decision. Detroit is a 2018 title by the way. I thought this year's E3 was incredible weak. I can pick any E3 of the past 4 years from Sony and it was better than all of the conferences put together this year.

E3 is also about megatons and surprises. Monster Hunter and a PS2 remaster game are nice buffers in a show, as are more PSVR games but nothing compares as a surprise/megaton. Sony should have had something in there. Things that would have elevated the conference big time:
- actually include NNK2, GT Sport, FF D, and Knack 2 in the show.
- show some indies
- show Sucker Punch game, and one other surprise.

That would have made the show amazing alone.

paulogy

Not sure if this is thread worthy but Yoshida said in an interview that they held back game announcements for this year's E3.

He says it at around minute 10.25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eirObauHR94#t=10m25s

While this may always be the case, for this particular E3 the short conference run-time is telling. It makes me wonder if they caught wind of the Ubi BG&E2 reveal and anticipated a Scorpio blowout and decided to pick their battles elsewhere (eg TGS & PSX) where they will likely be uncontested.

I honestly think a compelling Dreams demo in the middle of the show would have been a perfect fit. A nice palate cleanser against the serious tone of the other games, and it could have brought the heart/emotion/charm that are typically a touchstone of their E3 showcases but was largely absent from this one.

Noctix

Is detriot confirmed to be this year? I must have missed the date

GT: S, Ni No Kuni and Kingdom Hearts trailers would have helped the actual show. Plus they should stop SIEE from trademarking the day of the show.

What they showed was good, but very safe and expected, so kinda boring. MHW the highlight I guess, but even that was expected due to leaks.

Also the audio problems sucked. Everything so quiet even on the loudest stream.

I like Devs talking about their games while showing them, and we got none of that.

GT: S, Ni No Kuni and Kingdom Hearts trailers would have helped the actual show. Plus they should stop SIEE from trademarking the day of the show.

Totally agree, Sony could also have shown Mattefall gameplay reveal and trailers for Hellblade, Knack 2 release date trailer. I am sure Sony could have shown three or four indies that are coming over the next 12 months.

Sony's focus on just showing games is good but I feel another couple of presenters would have helped break up the trailers. Maybe Shu coming on stage to introduce Knack 2 + Ni No Kuni

Elandyll

Banned
Wait a minute. Where was Battlefront 2?

Nothing at the presser and not even a campaign trailer reveal?

Seemed like a huge missed opportunity.
No BF2, no Far Cry 5 or RDR2 which surprised me.

It's like they were in a rush to get it over with.

We also only saw Layden, I think 3 times, for a total of maybe 6-7 minutes tops?

I mean what was there was good, when he said it's been 60minutes I was like "what?", but it felt very rushed and "incomplete" to me.

No BF2, no Far Cry 5 or RDR2 which surprised me.

It's like they were in a rush to get it over with.

We also only saw Layden, I think 3 times, for a total of maybe 6-7 minutes tops?

I mean what was there was good, when he said it's been 60minutes I was like "what?", but it felt very rushed and "incomplete" to me.

Well RDR2 was certainly not going to be there but you're right as well with FC5 and also not forgetting FIFA. The conference should have been another 30 mins in length and put some pre show stuff in there. How on Earth they left out the likes of NNK, GT sport and Knack 2 release date trailers is completely mind blowing too.

It's one of the biggest marketing opportunities of the year. Casuals know of E3 too. Yet this year was a complete miss fire. I've had to go out of my way to find such trailers. I wouldn't have needed to if it was in the main presser.

Adam M

2017 is a great year, but Sony should have shown the rest of the 17 titles on the show. It was such a moronic marketing decision. Detroit is a 2018 title by the way. I thought this year's E3 was incredible weak. I can pick any E3 of the past 4 years from Sony and it was better than all of the conferences put together this year.

E3 is also about megatons and surprises. Monster Hunter and a PS2 remaster game are nice buffers in a show, as are more PSVR games but nothing compares as a surprise/megaton. Sony should have had something in there. Things that would have elevated the conference big time:
- actually include NNK2, GT Sport, FF D, and Knack 2 in the show.
- show some indies
- show Sucker Punch game, and one other surprise.

That would have made the show amazing alone.

Is detriot confirmed to be this year? I must have missed the date

David Cage showed a big smile when they asked if the game is a 2018 title so my guess is that they don't know yet if 2017 or 2018. They will probably know in august. Motions capture and assets are done, they just need to put them together which is in progress.

Conference:
Last year they showed everything because they didn't want another conference (other than the PSX).

Last time Sony did a mediocre conference was the year when they had Gamescom/Paris. So I'm sure they will show the Sucker Punch game this year and the Last Of Us Part II demo as well.

They played safe. No promised released dates to avoid the delay announcements later. Enough games, few demos and basically no talking they just played the clips so it was not as personal maybe that was the problem for the people.

E3 is not that huge as it was before the fast online life via social media.Now you can announce anything anytime.

Also depends on your personal taste, if they show your games then you say that the conference was awesome, if not then you are disappointed so you say that it was lame.

I wanted to see a new demo of Days Gone, GoW story trailer, Uncharted trailer, Spider-Man and for bonus The Last of Us Part II demo.

The latter I knew it's a big dream to see now so I was not disappointed. GoW was more than a story trailer and the other 3 happened as expected so for me it was a good showcase :)

I already knew that they won't do any crazy announcements.

I expected much more from MS but people are happy with that conference because the new console alone impressed everyone, nobody cared about the lack of exclusives.

At EA I wanted to hear something about that story based SW game, didn't happen. At Ubisoft I wanted to see Splinter Cell with Ironside, didn't happen.

But several other games were good so overall it's not the end of the world, it was an okay E3 but none of the conferences were mind blowing

Blader

I liked the stripped down presentation of this year's show. No bullshit with on-stage demos and out-of-their-element speakers, just rolling one video after another, with Shawn popping up every now and then. I hope they keep the format for next year.

I liked the stripped down presentation of this year's show. No bullshit with on-stage demos and out-of-their-element speakers, just rolling one video after another, with Shawn popping up every now and then. I hope they keep the format for next year.

If they do that then why even bother having a conference? Just release an hour long video with all the trailers.

What bothers me about everything is that you can never please everyone. For example, Sony announced the big 3 a few years ago and everyone went nuts, but in the grand scheme of things two of those three games have an unknown release date still from what I know, and people complain. Microsoft shows CGI trailers for games and everyone complains that they are announced too early. So what does Sony and Microsoft do this year? They show an ass ton of games that are all coming out over the next year (for the most part, and games like Anthem had gameplay showing that it's moving along in production), and people complain that they aren't showing anything. Can't win.

David Cage showed a big smile when they asked if the game is a 2018 title so my guess is that they don't know yet if 2017 or 2018. They will probably know in august. Motions capture and assets are done, they just need to put them together which is in progress.

Conference:
Last year they showed everything because they didn't want another conference (other than the PSX).

Last time Sony did a mediocre conference was the year when they had Gamescom/Paris. So I'm sure they will show the Sucker Punch game this year and the Last Of Us Part II demo as well.

They played safe. No promised released dates to avoid the delay announcements later. Enough games, few demos and basically no talking they just played the clips so it was not as personal maybe that was the problem for the people.

E3 is not that huge as it was before the fast online life via social media.Now you can announce anything anytime.

Also depends on your personal taste, if they show your games then you say that the conference was awesome, if not then you are disappointed so you say that it was lame.

I wanted to see a new demo of Days Gone, GoW story trailer, Uncharted trailer, Spider-Man and for bonus The Last of Us Part II demo.

The latter I knew it's a big dream to see now so I was not disappointed. GoW was more than a story trailer and the other 3 happened as expected so for me it was a good showcase :)

I already knew that they won't do any crazy announcements.

I expected much more from MS but people are happy with that conference because the new console alone impressed everyone, nobody cared about the lack of exclusives.

At EA I wanted to hear something about that story based SW game, didn't happen. At Ubisoft I wanted to see Splinter Cell with Ironside, didn't happen.

But several other games were good so overall it's not the end of the world, it was an okay E3 but none of the conferences were mind blowing
Tbh. I thought the TLOU II can be pushed to PSX. It looks like Sony did gameplay reveal with GOW last year at E3, trailer setting reveal this time at E3 and likely PSX for boss gameplay reveal which I'm fine with. Dreams being pushed to Gamescom is also a good idea IMO.

But as I said, there was no reason to cut trailers for games they showed at the preshow other than have some arbitrary time slot they abided to. It both 1) makes the conference from a 7/10 to an 8/10 and 2) markets their own games for 2017! Just seems like such a dumb decision.

I have seen the OG Uncharted trailer and I'm done. It's already a smaller game, I don't want anything else spoiled since it'll be day 1. Opening E3 with a DLC is weak shit though, esp for Sony whose been killing it at this event for four years in a row. E3 is about something new and big, and they had none of those. That's why they failed to have a great show. Obviously they had good parts, but it could have been a lot better.

Of course SP's game and TLOU2 will be at PSX (as will Kojima's game), but they should have had something that blew me away. The only mind blowing thing was Spiderman gameplay and other than the PS2 SOTC getting remastered, there was no surprises. If you look at my list, it's not like I asked for a lot.

Adam M

Tbh. I thought the TLOU II can be pushed to PSX. It looks like Sony did gameplay reveal with GOW last year at E3, trailer setting reveal this time at E3 and likely PSX for boss gameplay reveal which I'm fine with. Dreams being pushed to Gamescom is also a good idea IMO.

But as I said, there was no reason to cut trailers for games they showed at the preshow other than have some arbitrary time slot they abided to. It both 1) makes the conference from a 7/10 to an 8/10 and 2) markets their own games for 2017! Just seems like such a dumb decision.

I have seen the OG Uncharted trailer and I'm done. It's already a smaller game, I don't want anything else spoiled since it'll be day 1. Opening E3 with a DLC is weak shit though, esp for Sony whose been killing it at this event for four years in a row. E3 is about something new and big, and they had none of those. That's why they failed to have a great show. Obviously they had good parts, but it could have been a lot better.

Of course SP's game and TLOU2 will be at PSX (as will Kojima's game), but they should have had something that blew me away. The only mind blowing thing was Spiderman gameplay and other than the PS2 SOTC getting remastered, there was no surprises. If you look at my list, it's not like I asked for a lot.

Yeah no big surprises but like I said, they want to spread the announcements this year.

The whole E3 was lacking big surprises. Maybe that Ubisoft game what people freaked out was big thing, or A way out.

I was just happy to see the already announced games again :)

The show probably would have been better received with just some shuffling of it and the pre-show's content along with a little bit more on-stage talking from Shawn Layden where he introduces the next segment. Something like:

It wouldn't have felt like a YouTube playlist, you would have had an extra cool announcement (Hidden Agenda), showed that they DO have some stuff coming in 2017 (those first four games), and the announcements would have been sprinkled through the show better. And this is without including anything that wasn't shown yesterday.

Yeah, it was okay but that's what I felt right after it ended, even just rearranging it and putting some of the pre-show stuff in there for some more separation and a longer show could have done wonders since there was a lot of good stuff in there and pre-show even if not equal to previous years. Plus like last year a couple more appearances by Layden and maybe Shuhei since House wouldn't make much sense this year to lead into each segment better and lead into or out of the couple of big reveals just a bit better and linger on that hype just a bit more.

The game order could have been much better with the new announces better sprinkled out to give more of a flow and given that they had to know they'd have a few less reveals this year make up for it by putting in some of those fan favorites one last time before they release (especially if they were getting release dates this week anyway), like Ni no Kuni 2.

NNK2 getting final dated in the conference would have been nice bonus points and a couple of others.

Totally agree, Sony could also have shown Mattefall gameplay reveal and trailers for Hellblade, Knack 2 release date trailer. I am sure Sony could have shown three or four indies that are coming over the next 12 months.

Sony's focus on just showing games is good but I feel another couple of presenters would have helped break up the trailers. Maybe Shu coming on stage to introduce Knack 2 + Ni No Kuni

Oh yeah Hellblade would have been a nice addition, for most of the public it's been gone a while.

God Wars comes out this month for PS4 (and Vita), though I may be the only one who cares ...

Two of us! Looking forward to getting my copy lol. :)

Chitown B

you really think Detroit Become Human is 2017? seriously.

aristotle

Question about one of the quests part of the Sony E3 webpage (live.playstation.com):

How the hell do I finish up the "Games" portion for the donut theme? I don't know where else to ask and the chat isn't helpful at all.

FinKL

Sorry for bumping this, but the PS E3 Experience thread was closed.

Did anyone receive their E3 Voucher goodies from the PS E3 Experience Badge yet? Been almost 2 weeks already and I remember the last few years they came instantly

OmahaG8

Sorry for bumping this, but the PS E3 Experience thread was closed.

Did anyone receive their E3 Voucher goodies from the PS E3 Experience Badge yet? Been almost 2 weeks already and I remember the last few years they came instantly

Same apology for the bump. Anyone gotten their voucher? Do we even know what it is?

Top Bottom