• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony exec: Our Players Demand Single Player Games

bitbydeath

You’re goddamn right.

Buzzwords are one thing, what our players are demanding is another. There’s still a huge audience for games that offer the best in single player narrative with stunning gameplay, as witnessed by the enormous popularity of both Spider-Man and God of War in this year’s charts.

Warwick Light (Vice President & Managing Director for the UK, IE & Australasia at Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe since October 2016) was featured in an interview published on the latest MCVUK magazine

Also this tidbit about the Pro.

The mid-lifecycle upgrade of PlayStation 4 to PS4 Pro is a good example of necessary evolution. In enabling the community to upgrade mid-lifecycle it has allowed our most engaged players an even more immersive experience that compliments the latest advancements in TV technology.
We’ve found that around one in five PlayStation 4s sold has been a PS4 Pro since it launched and around 40 percent of these have been from existing players upgrading so it’s definitely having a positive impact on the industry as well as on our players.

https://wccftech.com/sony-exec-ps4-pro-necessary-evolution/

TLZ

Banned
Hell to the muthafkn yeah.

Now flood me with more turn based JRPGs :p

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Of course we do. Some people are tired of playing the same Madden game year after year.

Yeah I love this trend, I would love it even more if they broadened the genres a bit more though.

That said, both Horizon and God of War (especially GoW) had much deeper and more mechanically polished combat than I would have expected, so as long as they keep that up I wont complain too loud regarding all the third person action games.

SonGoku

Hell yeah, you keep making sp focused games and ill keep buying your consoles
No need to double down on mp when 3rd parties already got that covered
1 in 5 since Pro launch is better than I thought they'd get honestly.
Sales wise is that as good, worse or better than X numbers?

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

Seems Sony’s last attempt at a JRPG was wkc which wasn’t awful but wasn’t very good lol. Hopefully we can get some JRPG love.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck yeah!!! Single player story and narrative driven third person games baby!!! To hell with online garbage. Let the third parties handle that shit. Just one more reason why PlayStation has been my number one platform since 1995!!!

Darth

Nice to know the percentage is fairly good. I rarely play online aside from stuff like Dark Souls. I love being sucked into a good single player experience.

DonF

Yes! Remember the PS1, the ps2? Those consoles that BARELY had online functionality? Yet sold millions! There is a market for singleplayer! Good single player that is. There will always be a market for good games.

I also demand games without censorship, bullshit online requirements, loot boxes, sections cut out to be sold back as DLC, games as a service, and game breaking bugs, but I don't see Sony doing shit about that...

Zeusexy

I also demand games without censorship, bullshit online requirements, loot boxes, sections cut out to be sold back as DLC, games as a service, and game breaking bugs, but I don't see Sony doing shit about that...
No no, they're doing something. In fact they're leading the censorship movement. But hey, last of us part 50.

Vawn

Banned
As far as I'm concerned, there are two types of games worth playing:

1. Great, single-player games
2. Rocket League

BibiMaghoo

90% of my gaming is single player. I hope their is always a market for it.

The censorship criticism is fair game, but the rest of that stuff was started, and made main stream by other companies and doesn't sit at Sony's door.

The censorship criticism is fair game, but the rest of that stuff was started, and made main stream by other companies and doesn't sit at Sony's door.
So, they can be like, "anime titties be verbotten, yo" but when it comes to children gambling with loot boxes, they just shake their head solemnly and go, "there was nothing we could do"?

Javthusiast

Banned
He is damn right. I demand them. Although maybe mix things up a little. Having so many samey third person cinematic games could become a little boring in a couple years.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Honestly as someone who plays all systems I just want to say this:

Thank god for Sony.

Kagero

I'm not in the position to demand anything lol. If you build a game that's good I will be there day one regardless of SP or MP. With that said, I really do hate this trend of SP being an afterthought. Good thing we have good ol Sony to set us strait and save the children.

BibiMaghoo

So, they can be like, "anime titties be verbotten, yo" but when it comes to children gambling with loot boxes, they just shake their head solemnly and go, "there was nothing we could do"?

Censoring games is a Sony decision and problem, agree with it or not. Loot boxes are not. Sony could die tomorrow and loot crates would still exist everywhere. Why do you think they have the power to stop them?

Chiggs

Yay, Sony. Long live the single player game, and a quick (yet painful) death to battle royale garbage.

Bryank75

Banned
Horizon and GOW really set a new standard for PlayStation in terms of rich, layered and involving gameplay with a low entry barrier but a really high skill ceiling. You could count Bloodbourne and Nioh in there too even if they are third party and I think Ghost of Tsushima will also try to have a layered system with a high skill ceiling... hopefully.
However I would like to see Naughty Dog push gameplay now and see some really innovative combat and other mechanics...

quest

Not Banned from OT
Where is gran turismo 7 then instead of that mp monstrosity? I also demand to play my ps1 gsmes i bought on digitally on ps4 while we are at it.

Codes 208

Well the effort it would take to keep content flowing for a more centric game would just be redundant when they can focus on SP and let games like fortnite and cod focus on MP.
You goddamn right, single player 10-20h long sweet spot
I prefer 100+ hours. Especially if I’m paying full price. Something which is why I’ll gladly take games like MHW and Skyrim over games like Spider-Man or CoD campaigns.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
More like: We failed to make good MP games, so we focused on SP. The top played games are all MP too.

Last edited:
As long as they don't believe I play single player games because of the story as opposed to gameplay experiences that just don't translate to multiplayer(like Spiderman or Witcher 3).

Censoring games is a Sony decision and problem, agree with it or not. Loot boxes are not. Sony could die tomorrow and loot crates would still exist everywhere. Why do you think they have the power to stop them?
When you finish a game, you sent it in the get okay'd by Sony. They have a checklist of like a thousand things they will check. Stuff like making sure you don't use only colors to indicate selected menu items because color blind people might have problems with it. Or using square button for confirmation of choices instead of X. And yes, they have a long list of items for DLC and online services that games must pass (like how to fail gracefully when PSN is not available) if they want to be released. You miss even one of these things and they send the game back until you fix it. Nothing gets released on a Sony platform without Sony knowing and okaying what is in it. All it would take is one extra item on the checklist that says, "DLC content is not loot boxes". The only reason they didn't do that is because it was really successful on iOS and the first console success was Blizzard. They wanted a piece of that sweet, sweet money. If they want to take the moral high ground on anime titties, they need to worry about their contributions to gambling, in my opinion.

Top Bottom