• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony fined €2 million by Italian antitrust for unfair business practice

Shin

Banned
Sony has received a two million euros fine by the Italian Antitrust for unfair business practice related to the sale of PlayStation 4 consoles. The news comes with the latest weekly bulletin published yesterday on the official website; you can find it on page 230 of the document.

The Antitrust found article 21 (clause 1, B and D, specifically) and article 22 of the Consumer Code to have been violated, adding that this unfair business practice is well-suited to appreciably misdirect the consumer due to the lack of information on a relevant product feature. Specifically, the need to subscribe to the PlayStation Plus service in order to play online multiplayer with the PlayStation 4 console and its PlayStation 4 games, including those purchased via the PlayStation Store.

PS4-Slim-500-GB-Silver-BOX-740x553.png

67beb1dab9.jpg

d094a1f1dd.jpg

2791e2286f.jpg

Credit: Wccftech
Italian Source: Ansa

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Do some people even know that you have to pay for Live after you sub to gamepass.......

At least many Sony games do not require plus, the biggest game online right now does not need plus on a Sony console "fortnite"..... How comes Sony was the only company targeted knowing all of this. If anything, Sony should get a break like the others received....Yet, MS is the most culpable here tbh...

ph33rknot

Banned
Do some people even know that you have to pay for Live after you sub to gamepass.......

At least many Sony games do not require plus, the biggest game online right now does not need plus on a Sony console "fortnite"..... How comes Sony was the only company targeted knowing all of this. If anything, Sony should get a break like the others received....Yet, MS is the most culpable here tbh...
Thats the problem xbox charges to play all sony only charges for some

Michele

you.
Wait, so Sony gets fined for tricking peoples, by not telling them you have to subscribe?

No, what I mean is like... You HAVE to subscribe? I can imagine it for Nintendo Switch, but Sony is another matter..

Codes 208

Wait, so Sony gets fined for tricking peoples, by not telling them you have to subscribe?

No, what I mean is like... You HAVE to subscribe? I can imagine it for Nintendo Switch, but Sony is another matter..
Nintendo was very up front about their switch to paid online. I’m fairly certain their boxes even say as much though I was under the impression Sony does too and I’m fairly certain my Xbox did.

This is a battle of technicality really.

Three

HWCnwy4.jpg

PS4 box. Not sure what the Italian box is like but the UK one has it printed that you need PS+ for online. Would be wierd if they missed it on the Italian box considering EU legislation.

Maybe it's the fact that it says multiplayer requires it but free to play games on PlayStation don't need PS+?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

This could easily apply to Xbox or even Nintendo as well.

I don't think Xbox really sells in Italy.
When I was last there (albeit a number of years ago during the 360 days) there was none around.

EDIT: Sony should include that information on the box though, silly of them not too.

Last edited:

quickwhips

On ps4 your free to play are free while paid games aren’t. It’s totally bullshit. Either it’s free or not. Ms and Nintendo is less misleading.

Three

On ps4 your free to play are free while paid games aren’t. It’s totally bullshit. Either it’s free or not. Ms and Nintendo is less misleading.

You think having to pay a monthly subscription charge to play 'free to play' games is less misleading than it being free?

I'll take the 'more misleading total bullshit' of them being free to play, thanks.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You think having to pay a monthly subscription charge to play 'free to play' games is less misleading than it being free?

I'll take the 'more misleading total bullshit' of them being free to play, thanks.
Free to play games don't need the $4/month or $20/year fee on Switch either, do they? Warframe, Fortnite, Paladins, Arena of Valor and the like?

Also they call them Free to Start games on Nintendo.com and that includes demos that can unlock the full game there alongside them it seems.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
And so is the reason for the fine. I could have sworn Sony listed that stuff on the box.
I screencapped some images of the complaint and posted it in the first post as people aren't bothering going through it.
A lot of writing also which would have to be ran through Google or a native speaker, furthermore it's a box of the Slim model.

Three

The pdf file is in the first post along with the page number, you'll see images of the Italian box.
Here, screen capped for your pleasure...or laziness :S

67beb1dab9.jpg
Thanks. Now I just have to learn Italian.

Free to play games don't need the $4/month or $20/year fee on Switch either, do they? Warframe, Fortnite, Paladins, Arena of Valor and the like?

Don't know to be honest. I don't own a Switch. Only going by what quickwhips said.

Last edited:
Top Bottom