• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony forcing Japan only games to go through content inspections which are conducted in English

NahaNago

I was kinda figuring something like this was going to happen with all of the focus on first party western games this gen. I was really hoping that the Japanese side was going to make a come back but it seems that the west has completely taken over the playstation even though it was Japanese games that created the hardcore fandom for playstation. I wouldn't be surprised if their is a larger shift by Japanese developers away from consoles next gen seeing as how powerful cellphones are getting.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
@ A Akira1983

So you reply to my question with a question?

So before I answer your question, let me ask you mine.

Are you just as triggered and offended that the voice actor of Kratos, a Greek guy is black just as the same you are for Laura Bailey or not?

If yes, why you forgot to include Kratos in your list? Because you don't care about representation, but wishing to push agenda?

If no, why not? It's bad when YT does it, but good when a black person does it?

Also if you haven't heard about Pizzagate, you have been living under a rock the past couple of years.

Last edited:

Akira1983

Banned
@ A Akira1983

So you reply to my question with a question?

So before I answer your question, let me ask you mine.

Are you just as triggered and offended that the voice actor of Kratos, a Greek guy is black just as the same you are for Laura Bailey or not?

If yes, why you forgot to include Kratos in your list? Because you don't care about representation, but wishing to push agenda?

If no, why not? It's bad when YT does it, but good when a black person does it?

Also if you haven't heard about Pizzagate, you have been living under a rock the past couple of years.

You mean that completely fake and debunked conspiracy theory about democrats and the sex trafficking ring and the loon who went to shoot up a pizza joint? Where does the pedophile come into play?

And yeah I don’t care about your 1 example in Kratos. Cool. Great. Come back at me when POC voice actors are all getting equal rep across games / tv / movies and we can talk

I can tell your type. You probably would watch the new ghost In the shell and argue some bullshit like “oh well I don’t see color, best person for the job, blah blah blah”

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Guess what, I am just gonna buy them used and don't give sony a single buck. xD

Good job, so you are proud of taking food from the mouths of the people who have worked for literally years on these things, just so you can "stick it to the man". You are a real champion of the people /s

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Good job, so you are proud of taking food from the mouths of the people who have worked for literally years on these things, just so you can "stick it to the man". You are a real champion of the people /s

Very much so, its sonys first party sudios, if they wanna fuck me over with sjw shit, they get no mullah from me.

I was kinda figuring something like this was going to happen with all of the focus on first party western games this gen. I was really hoping that the Japanese side was going to make a come back but it seems that the west has completely taken over the playstation even though it was Japanese games that created the hardcore fandom for playstation. I wouldn't be surprised if their is a larger shift by Japanese developers away from consoles next gen seeing as how powerful cellphones are getting.

IMO, I think that in the future, they're going to most likely stick to Nintendo products, PC & mobile (especially with smaller Japanese companies).

The Switch & PC are good enough for most Japanese 3rd party publishers concerning power & graphics anyway (including the inevitable Switch successor).

Tweet 1 is no lies detected. Tons of talentless white people are selected for roles that could have easily gone to a minority
He didn't say "white people." He specifically mentions white boys. It's both racist and sexist.

None of the examples you gave support his opinion about white boys either.

Tweet 3 - yeah I’d agree with Ian. There should be no default sexual orientation, race, etc.
Heterosexuality is the default though, regardless of anyone's opinion on it. The survival of our species (and most other species) depends on it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Very much so, its sonys first party sudios, if they wanna fuck me over with sjw shit, they get no mullah from me.

So just boycott then, cos all you are doing by going the used route is giving publishers a compelling reason to load up their products with MTX.

Seriously, have you even thought any of this stuff through?

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
You mean that completely fake and debunked conspiracy theory about democrats and the sex trafficking ring and the loon who went to shoot up a pizza joint? Where does the pedophile come into play?

Where has it been debunked? Who debunked it? Can I see the evidence that a conspiracy theory that is 100% more legitimate than MUH RUSSIANS conspiracy theory is "debunked"?

Also the "loon's" name is Edgar Maddison Welch, you should know it, he is a paid actor, after all.

In fact the "loon gunman" only shot one bullet that OH accidentally destroyed the hard drive of the place.

And to top it all that, he did all of those stuff when the owner of the place was OUT of the place.

Need to get your nose checked, your bs detector is lagging.

And yeah I don’t care about your 1 example in Kratos. Cool. Great. Come back at me when POC voice actors are all getting equal rep across games / tv / movies and we can talk

Glad to know you don't give a shit about representation. I knew it, thanks for admitting it. So, pray tell, why are you outraged?

Is there some inner fragility in you causing your self-esteem issues to take a nosedive?

NahaNago

IMO, I think that in the future, they're going to most likely stick to Nintendo products, PC & mobile (especially with smaller Japanese companies).

The Switch & PC are good enough for most Japanese 3rd party publishers concerning power & graphics anyway (including the inevitable Switch successor).

I agree. I just still think that PC isn't as beloved in Japan so mobile and switch would probably be more likely where these developers would release their games.

I agree. I just still think that PC isn't as beloved in Japan so mobile and switch would probably be more likely where these developers would release their games.

I agree, though in the case of PC gaming, I was referring to them making games for it outside of Japan.

Akira1983

Banned
Where has it been debunked? Who debunked it? Can I see the evidence that a conspiracy theory that is 100% more legitimate than MUH RUSSIANS conspiracy theory is "debunked"?

Also the "loon's" name is Edgar Maddison Welch, you should know it, he is a paid actor, after all.

In fact the "loon gunman" only shot one bullet that OH accidentally destroyed the hard drive of the place.

And to top it all that, he did all of those stuff when the owner of the place was OUT of the place.

Need to get your nose checked, your bs detector is lagging.

Glad to know you don't give a shit about representation. I knew it, thanks for admitting it. So, pray tell, why are you outraged?

Is there some inner fragility in you causing your self-esteem issues to take a nosedive?

Oh since you seem like the Fox News type, here you go

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pizzagat...o-know-about-the-comet-ping-pong-conspiracies

Believe me you type in pizzagate to google and there are dozens of links debunking it

Let me guess, is David Hogg also a crisis actor? Sandy Hook is a conspiracy? FAKE NEWS I TELL YA

Guess what, I am just gonna buy them used and don't give sony a single buck. xD

You know I wonder what's the idea behind it in Sony.

Much like in mobile gaming consumers can be mostly split into few groups.

Whales who spend thousands of dollars, dolphins/enthusiast who will buy a lot , mainstream consumers who will buy few games each year and casuals that buy console to play 1-2 games like Fifa.

Microsoft is trying their best to take western whales/enthusiasts away from Sony with Xbox X and considering how much better X is compared to Pro only defence Sony has is price (which doesn't matter to that group that much) and titles which are not coming to Xbox which current means first party and niche Japanese game.

Then people who like Japanise games are usually enthusiasts also ( I have PS2,3,4 , PSP and PSV and between all of them I'd estimate my library to be 200-300 games)

So it looks like they are pissing off two most profitable groups of consumers

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Oh since you seem like the Fox News type, here you go

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pizzagat...o-know-about-the-comet-ping-pong-conspiracies

Believe me you type in pizzagate to google and there are dozens of links debunking it

Let me guess, is David Hogg also a crisis actor? Sandy Hook is a conspiracy? FAKE NEWS I TELL YA

So anything more about how a paid actor went in armed to the teeth, and shot ONE bullet that oh-so-conveniently damaged the PC of the owner who oh-so-conveniently happened to be out of the store when this facade was taking place?
Let me guess, you are more of a CNN guy yourself, right?

You know, the guys that had their own cameraman interviewed as an Anti-Trump protester?

Mahadev

I'm so glad I bailed out of console gaming, I did it because paying for online gaming seems completely disgusting to me but I'm fidning new reasons every day. Don't get me wrong I still have a PS4 but I barely used it, just for very few single player exclusives but that's it. We're seeing the good ol' monopoly PS2 Sony here again, so yeah, I'll just buy a few used games for PS4 and I'm done. I don't even care about Japanese games, at least the ones that will get censored, just like with their paid online services bullshit I'm doing it for the principle.

Last edited:

Akira1983

Banned
So anything more about how a paid actor went in armed to the teeth, and shot ONE bullet that oh-so-conveniently damaged the PC of the owner who oh-so-conveniently happened to be out of the store when this facade was taking place?
Let me guess, you are more of a CNN guy yourself, right?

You know, the guys that had their own cameraman interviewed as an Anti-Trump protester?

Yeah I’ll take CNN over Alt right Fox News any day

Heres associated press

https://www.apnews.com/a959c054e4d349a08ea40ed32e0a7c65

Dude dabbles in a few minor roles that went no where. His wife even is on the record he never wanted to get into acting

Sounds crazy but actors are people too, therefore they can be crazy. I mean have you seen Roseanne?

That 2nd article is a goldmine or lunacy. False Flags, sandy hook truthers, 9/11 was an inside job!!!

I want to be upset and offended at people using tragic events to push an agenda like all these conspiracy nuts but it’s so ridiculous I can’t help but laugh at and mock these people

So yeah, I don’t see any pedophile sex trafficking ring being legit here unless you wanna count reddit detectives making a conspiracy up

Sorry?

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Yeah I’ll take CNN over Alt right Fox News any day

Heres associated press

https://www.apnews.com/a959c054e4d349a08ea40ed32e0a7c65

Dude dabbles in a few minor roles that went no where. His wife even is on the record he never wanted to get into acting

Sounds crazy but actors are people too, therefore they can be crazy. I mean have you seen Roseanne?

That 2nd article is a goldmine or lunacy. False Flags, sandy hook truthers, 9/11 was an inside job!!!

I want to be upset and offended at people using tragic events to push an agenda like all these conspiracy nuts but it’s so ridiculous I can’t help but laugh at and mock these people

So yeah, I don’t see any pedophile sex trafficking ring being legit here unless you wanna count reddit detectives making a conspiracy up

Sorry?

So you bring Fake News and....even more Fake News to the table? That takes dedication, here.

Let me see.

So a hired actor that is:

1. Armed to the teeth.

2. Nuttier than a squirrel in a tuna barrel.

3. Dedicated to the children's saviour!

A. Goes into the Hell's Gate when the Devil (owner) is not there.

B. Fires ONE, A SINGLE time and manages to destroy the owner's PC.

C. Surrenders peacefully to the police that arrive at the scene.

VS A false flag operation operated by the owner and his supporters (call me Hillary) with a hired actor playing its designed role?

Now you seen it summarized you see the holes in your argument or you are still intent on shilling?

Zog

Banned
So just boycott then, cos all you are doing by going the used route is giving publishers a compelling reason to load up their products with MTX.

Seriously, have you even thought any of this stuff through?

Ignore MTX's in single player games and since you have to pay Sony to play online, avoid multiplayer games altogether.

It's amazing that corporations haven't yet learned 'get woke, go broke'.

Dargor

Man, whoever is pushing this stupidity needs to get fired ASAP. Are they trying to lose all the good mind share they have like this? lol.

Zog

Banned
Man, whoever is pushing this stupidity needs to get fired ASAP. Are they trying to lose all the good mind share they have like this? lol.
It's what corporations do when they are on top, they find some way to shoot themselves in the foot. All the good will Sony built up with the PS1 and the PS2 went to shit with the 'You'll take two jobs to buy the PS3' mess. Microsoft did it with the Xbox One. Nintendo seems to be the exception, they make an equal share f bad decisions whether they are on top or not. LOL.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's amazing that corporations haven't yet learned 'get woke, go broke'.

This seems to me the opposite of that though; equation seems simply to be is the sales revenue generated from these niche-interest titles a justifiable recompense for having to deal with potential negative publicity and the effort of managing multiple versions of titles in order to avoid regional legal censorship issues?

Short answer: probably not.

Dargor

It's what corporations do when they are on top, they find some way to shoot themselves in the foot. All the good will Sony built up with the PS1 and the PS2 went to shit with the 'You'll take two jobs to buy the PS3' mess. Microsoft did it with the Xbox One. Nintendo seems to be the exception, they make an equal share f bad decisions whether they are on top or not. LOL.

They really are trying to find something, because this is an area they have been praised for in the past. Letting developers do what they want with their games.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You know, the case at hand show just how much influence media has. I wouldnöt even know about this censorship if it wasn‘t mentioned here, yet when CDPR makes a harmless joke everyone goes apeshit. Just what the fuck is going on atm?

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
You know, the case at hand show just how much influence media has. I wouldnöt even know about this censorship if it wasn‘t mentioned here, yet when CDPR makes a harmless joke everyone goes apeshit. Just what the fuck is going on atm?

..and the media chooses the leftist views to broadcast. You know, the ones who constantly claim that white conservative males have all the power.

Looks like skipping the PS5 has become a real possibility for me. I won't support a console maker if they decide to go this route. Fuck censorship. Also, as much as I want it, fuck Bloodborne 2 if this course doesn't change.

This seems to me the opposite of that though; equation seems simply to be is the sales revenue generated from these niche-interest titles a justifiable recompense for having to deal with potential negative publicity and the effort of managing multiple versions of titles in order to avoid regional legal censorship issues?

Short answer: probably not.

But was there any actual controversy about Japanese lewd games in mainstream media ? Most of those games are too small to be more than blip on the radar.

kunonabi

But was there any actual controversy about Japanese lewd games in mainstream media ? Most of those games are too small to be more than blip on the radar.

Exactly this stuff never blows up in any meaningful way. Just some Twitter bitching and maybe an article or two from Kotaku or Polygon. That's all because the real world doesnt give a shit.

Joyful

Oof that's bad news

I'm not surprised this happened, more surprised it took this long...

I was kind of hoping japan would stay based for years to come and not fall pray to censorship and Western homogenization

Dear Japanese devs come to PC!

Lunk

This has to be due to the SJW-types infiltrating the HR/PR departments in these companies and spreading their BS.
I'm sure it is this. Moreover, it's that because there's such a social outcry for political correctness and "diversity" now and huge backlash and smear campaigning when something doesn't go that route, HR/PR reacts on that, and they will always be where the popularity is.

Jagz

The way this works is that eventually developers censor their own games to avoid these complications. PC will be affected.

I think these developers are smart enough to know their audience hates censorship, and that censorship will only harm them/ sales of their games in the long run. If these complications are largely solved by censoring the graphics in the PlayStation versions (which requires very little effort to implement), I think they'll just carry on doing that, while promoting the non-censored versions on PC/other platforms.

PC will always be the last holdout but it's not immune. Steam just about made a huge mistake when they started removing certain things from the store. Luckily they did a 180 and let people be responsible for themselves. The devs themselves will start pre-censoring their games so that they can avoid this potential issue in the future. I'll mod out their shit if I can but the inclusion of so much online content makes modding some games either difficult, or impossible.

Nintendo's Treehouse has a tendency to meddle, but lately Japan has basically gone over them and left them out of things. They had planned of shitting up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 with a bunch of censorship, but Japan told them to piss off. In the end a few minor changes were made for localisation and Treehouse was upset they were left out, and that's a good thing. Fire Emblem is another franchise that Nintendo of Japan has started putting their foot down on. Replacing entire conversations with … didn't sit well with Japan.

As PC is an open platform, there will always be alternative platforms to get one's game out there. Even if Steam were to censor games again, there are web based platforms, like Nutaku, jastusa, etc. There's also the option of Patreon or self publishing on the developer's own website. I think the smart option, which you mentioned, is for developers to release a censored version on Steam, then provide free DLC to the full uncensored patch from their website, like how Illusion did for VR Kanojo.

As for Nintendo, we'll see. Regardless of recent anecdotes, they're still a family friendly company, with a long history of censorship. Until we see a statement, similar to Valve's, I wouldn't be so sure they won't go the Sony route as well.

Zeusexy

Even sony got invaded by NPCs now. Good luck, I'll vote with my wallet when the next console generation comes.

petran79

Banned
Sony should make their policies consistent though. Don’t be lenient on some games and strict on other companies. Don’t go censoring doa6 for jiggling breasts or skimpy outfits and then happily approve gta6 with full frontal nudity, sex scenes, a plethora of profanity, extreme violence and gratuitous gore. To me it just looks hypocritical. Maybe they go easier on certain games because they sell better?

Lets wait and see how this game turns out

maxresdefault.jpg

As PC is an open platform, there will always be alternative platforms to get one's game out there. Even if Steam were to censor games again, there are web based platforms, like Nutaku, jastusa, etc.

That's what they said about alex jones, at least he'll have his site! Turns out paypal, stripe and maybe even mastercard are trying to cut payment options, iirc. There's also denial of service attacks. Agree or disagree with Jones, he has a right to free speech. And you know those servers don't run for free.

Similar is happening to Gab and they're having to censor stuff.

When payment processors and hosting companies are getting in on the censoring there's no libertarian make your own site BS that passes mustard.

How long till steam, gog, and microsoft's store are infiltrated?

Last edited:
Once AGIAN Sony has become cocky and stupid because their system selling well just like early PS3 days because PS2 sold crazy well.

Edit: I'm actually happy now that Shin Megami Tensei V and Bayonetta 3 is Switch exclusive.
Look vegeta. More shut in games coming for the switch. I can't....... Believe it. I am the patty cake champion.

No more imouto? Me saddy sad sad.

Not sure if this is genuine or a sarcastic attempt at implying those complaining are imouto/lolicons, so I'll assume the latter. Feel free to correct me if I chose poorly.

I'm not sure why people bring up lolis in this situation when most of the discussion here is about general sexual content, and the discussion is about a policy that started with a game with very voluptuous women getting blocked (Omega Labyrinth, or SK). It's almost like said people want to pigeonhole anyone who doesn't think games should be blocked from distribution for having animated sexiness as pedos.

Vlaphor

That's what they said about alex jones, at least he'll have his site! Turns out paypal, stripe and maybe even mastercard are trying to cut payment options, iirc. There's also denial of service attacks. Agree or disagree with Jones, he has a right to free speech. And you know those servers don't run for free.

He may have the right to free speech, but he isn't guaranteed a platform for it, or that other companies have to put money into it. Same with Gab. The companies took a closer look at what they would be associated with and decided they didn't want to be

Last edited:
He may have the right to free speech, but he isn't guaranteed a platform for it, or that other companies have to put money into it. Same with Gab. The companies took a closer look at what they would be associated with and decided they didn't want to be
Only one thing more vicious than the government. Corporations and their money. You harm that money and they will boof your ass out to protect them dollars. Free speech sure, but not at the cost of my money.

Yeah but this is where the regulated common carrier argument comes into play. If every single company that can provide the ability for you to host a website refuses to work with you, you are essentially having your ability to communicate denied.

It would be like saying "well they can always write a book or publish a newspaper" but then literally nobody allows you to have paper.

joe_zazen

One Angry Gamer pinpoints to this shift to Sony's policies at the time the latter pulled their gaming HQ from Japan to......CALIFORNIA!

I don't know how much credence should i put to this theory, but the timing (2016) makes it suspicious.

Anyone's thoughts on it?

The changed upper management at the time. I dont think Californiaism is contagious.

When payment processors and hosting companies are getting in on the censoring there's no libertarian make your own site BS that passes mustard.

How long till steam, gog, and microsoft's store are infiltrated?

When billion dollar American corporations control the means of communication and commerce, rebellion is impossible. Dont follow the rules? End up like Assange or Venezuela.

Increasingly concentrated power and tyrannical domination of the masses is the default trajectory of human groups. Historically, the only forces that have reversed that have been state collapse, massive epidemics, mass war, and revolution (see: The Great Leveller). Otherwise, the concentration continues until it is at extreme levels. We are building technological controls to ensure that the four horsemen do not interupt this and the global rich can live peacfully apart from the unwashed. You will not hear this on corporate media, which is now all media and there is nothing you can do about it.

Yeah but this is where the regulated common carrier argument comes into play. If every single company that can provide the ability for you to host a website refuses to work with you, you are essentially having your ability to communicate denied.

It would be like saying "well they can always write a book or publish a newspaper" but then literally nobody allows you to have paper.

You can still stand on approved street corners I guess.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Once AGIAN Sony has become cocky and stupid because their system selling well just like early PS3 days because PS2 sold crazy well.

Edit: I'm actually happy now that Shin Megami Tensei V and Bayonetta 3 is Switch exclusive.
Even when Nintendo was censor happy they never censored Mara...JUST FIRE EMBLEM X WAIFONA WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ge...-recent-sony-regulations.77431/#post-14294054

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ge...-recent-sony-regulations.77431/#post-14294242

Look at this hypocrite with his persona underage avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was replaced with a new thread citing the Gametsu article as its a more reliable source and most of the people in said thread do seem to be against this. That's really not relevant here though.
Ah, I found the thread that you mentioned. My mistake.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Even when Nintendo was censor happy they never censored Mara...JUST FIRE EMBLEM X WAIFONA WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Most of the time they censor when their own IP is involved. But I don’t think they would censor SMTV or Bayonetta 3.

Top Bottom