• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

I don't think Wii was a case of listening to consumers. It was a brilliant stroke of giving a product to consumers that they didn't know they wanted, but all the latter stuff you mentioned applies too.
I half agree. Building and launching these consoles costs tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars. Every company has to put their "feelers" out there in order to have a rough idea of a product's worth and whether or not people would buy it. The Wii's target audience was definitely far more of a gamble than the dedicated gaming audience the playstation family tapped into, so there was more risk in involved, but a lot of the Wii's momentum was definitely due to an effort to tap into the consciousness of the mainstream audience and it worked for a while.

Tenebrous

You serious? Monsters like the PS4, PS1, Wii, and PS2 happen when you actually listen to consumers, build the right hardware, put together a consistent software lineup and market it appropriately. Sony hit on all three points. The Wii is the sole outlier in the sense that it was catering to a far more mainstream audience, but it was still brilliantly designed and supported by interesting software (at least for the first 2 or 3 years of the console's life). The Wii lacked the traditional long tail of high quality mixed software support from third parties and first parties. It would have gone further than 100 million if it had that support.

Don't listen and you end up with a Saturn, Wii U or what could have been the Xbone had MS not done the full 180 (bless them for that).

That's four points, but I see what you mean. They did listen to consumers, but they did nothing but maintain the status quo, so I'm not going to break into praise for that. The hardware is spot on for Sony, but again, it surprises me that unsubsidized console hardware always does well - It seems everything that gets sold at a loss doesn't do that well in comparison to the monster sellers... Why? No idea! But hey, there's no doubting Sony have marketed the PS4 perfectly.

The lineup of games is what really confuses me. The PS2 was in a much stronger position after this period of time, yet the PS4 is just blitzing past it and everything else.

I think the PS4 is a good system, and it's great for the core gamers like us on GAF that it's doing well, but I'll no doubt get called "salty" or something for not quite understanding the frankly ludicrous success the system is having right now.

CCS

Banned
Financials seem pretty good, even from a company wide perspective, when you consider where they were a couple of years back. I would imagine PS4 is probably close to being profitable at sale if it isn't already. Given these results I can't see a price cut this year, despite the improvements in performance I doubt Sony would turn down $500 million or so extra just to pursue more market share when they're already so dominant. No point in wasting too much money on the US market either, doesn't matter whether they're ahead of Xbox there or not when worldwide sales are so strong.

Fredrik

If Sony manages to give the PS4 a nice price cut this holiday the rest of the Generation is in the bag.
This generation is already in the bag. It doesn't matter if Halo 5 is the game of all time, XB1 still won't catch PS4 with this kind of lead, and Nintendo is already getting ready for next gen.

TomShoe

Banned
As a person who owns all 4 consoles, I really want the PS4 to stop shipping so many units. By the way is this sold through or shipped. For we know there could be millions of units sitll sitting in the channel. Sony might be pumping those numberz :^)

I really want to see Sony push harder on the game front, my PS4 has honestly been a dust magnet since release since I use my Xbox one as the main platform for multi titles. Sony only has like 2 games yet it's still selling this well

At least street fighter V beta forced me to turn my ps4 on and press any button to see a failed error menu screen lol

Bloodborne is well deserved tho such a fun game :)

Basically every single poster on this forum should be ecstatic about PS4s performance. It proves dedicated "core" gaming is FAR from dead and gives devs and pubs a big reason to keep investing in this industry.

The PS4 is a juggernaut man

Part of rounding error....

I lol'd!

So Ps4 just shook off a big Xbone price cut as well as no major exclusives on the horizon (though Bloodborne launched in this timeframe right? Guess that helped), and continued to crush Xbox.

Wow.

Didn't the Xbone price cut only get implemented in US and UK.
The price cut only impacted Sony there but even that effect was largely inconsequential,
especially outside the holiday period.

Those are the only territories Microsoft have a shot in and give a shit about.

Anyway. You guys should know that PS4 sold better this quarter than Xbox One + Xbox 360 + Wii U + Wii + 3DS combined....

Staggering.
I believe that's called a massacre.

The generation is already in the bag regardless of a price-cut or not. And it's Sony's.

Sony is the Nike of of gaming consoles, they will have it in the bag for at least to more gens, as long as they don't overpriced there console like the ps3, if the ps3 wasn't so expensive and difficult to program for we would have had the same thing happen lastgen, except for the wii being lighting in a bottle only lasting one gen.

Rymuth

As a person who owns all 4 consoles, I really want the PS4 to stop shipping so many units. By the way is this sold through or shipped. For we know there could be millions of units sitll sitting in the channel. Sony might be pumping those numberz :^)

I really want to see Sony push harder on the game front, my PS4 has honestly been a dust magnet since release since I use my Xbox one as the main platform for multi titles. Sony only has like 2 games yet it's still selling this well

At least street fighter V beta forced me to turn my ps4 on and press any button to see a failed error menu screen lol

Careful, Tom.

For those who are unaware of the poster you're quoting, they might think you're serious.

Toki767

:)

Raide

Excellent numbers. Now MS just needs to make a bit more of a push for 2015 and get that competition in check. They have a solid line-up for 2015, so if they do some good promotions, that would be great.

jayu26

Don't do this TomShoe. Tell the actual drive-by trolls do their job, don't do it for them.

"It's not a race."

large.gif

orochi91

It's the well timed smiley faces that truly makes this post elite-tier trolling lol

Well done.

9ab.png

Elios83

Stronger than expected PS4 sales (with upgraded FY forecast) and net profits for the whole company. So a pretty positive quarter.
I noticed that they dropped reporting PS3 and portable sales. Guess they're both legacy :p

The lineup of games is what really confuses me. The PS2 was in a much stronger position after this period of time, yet the PS4 is just blitzing past it and everything else..

Stronger position is relative.

Even if PS4 has less exclusives, there's still plenty of games. To many gamers, as long as Sony is able to make a convincing case of why their platform is preferable over the competition even if a game isn't exclusive, that's a win.

That's four points, but I see what you mean. They did listen to consumers, but they did nothing but maintain the status quo, so I'm not going to break into praise for that. The hardware is spot on for Sony, but again, it surprises me that unsubsidized console hardware always does well - It seems everything that gets sold at a loss doesn't do that well in comparison to the monster sellers... Why? No idea! But hey, there's no doubting Sony have marketed the PS4 perfectly.

The lineup of games is what really confuses me. The PS2 was in a much stronger position after this period of time, yet the PS4 is just blitzing past it and everything else.

I think the PS4 is a good system, and it's great for the core gamers like us on GAF that it's doing well, but I'll no doubt get called "salty" or something for not quite understanding the frankly ludicrous success the system is having right now.
Sorry, it's 3 AM here, so these sorts of mistakes are bound to happen.

As for the PS2 comparison... I sort of get how you feel. I still don't own a single Eighth generation console console (or handheld). The landscape has changed, though. The market is definitely lead around a lot more by third party releases/momentum. There is still a lot of neat stuff in the sub $30 bracket, but the scope of those games is a somewhat smaller than what we enjoyed from Japan in the 6th generation and below. Let's hope things improve for Japanese gaming companies and Sony starts putting out more interesting first party software.

CCS

Banned
What was the best estimate for Xbox One sold through? We're probably looking at minimum 24m for PS4 so it would be interesting to get a rough ratio.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Sony is the Nike of of gaming consoles, they will always have it in the bag for at least to more gens, as long as they don't overpriced there console like the ps3, if the ps3 wasn't so expensive and difficult to program for we would have had the same thing happen lastgen, except for the wii being lighting in a bottle only lasting one gen.

Microsoft and Nintendo got complacent with last gen, Sony came back stronger this gen - it's a cycle.

We need all three console manufacturers to be successful in the marketplace as a monopoly will help no one.

Tenebrous

Stronger position is relative.

Even if PS4 has less exclusives, there's still plenty of games. To many gamers, as long as Sony is able to make a convincing case of why their platform is preferable over the competition even if a game isn't exclusive, that's a win.

I don't think many could argue against that at the moment, to be honest. At least not in the console space.

Sorry, it's 3 AM here, so these sorts of mistakes are bound to happen.

As for the PS2 comparison... I sort of get how you feel. I still don't own a single Eighth generation console console. The landscape has changed, though. The market is definitely lead around a lot more by third party releases/momentum. There is still a lot of neat stuff in the sub $30 bracket, but the scope of those games is a somewhat smaller than what we enjoyed from Japan in the 6th generation and below.

That's fair.

nib95

Banned
Keep reading, I'm merely complaining about it not having the absolutely legendary library that Ps2 did by this point in time, which is hardly an insult.

large.jpg

It has, and will have the legendary library if going by that list. The difference is half the franchises in that image are no longer exclusive, but they're still on, or coming to the system either way. And that's why sales are so strong. I doubt consumers really care if the games they're buying are exclusive or multi platform, so long as the games are great either way.

On the OP, the sales are higher than I predicted. I think at a $299 price point, the console will see PS2 style surges. Surprised it's selling so well at $399.

Microsoft and Nintendo got complacent with last gen, Sony came back stronger this gen - it's a cycle.

We need all three console manufacturers to be successful in the marketplace as a monopoly will help no one.

Not really. Playstation consoles have always crushed the competition except for the ps3, it's not them coming back stronger it's just them not fucking up.

Fredrik

As a person who owns all 4 consoles

[snip]

I use my Xbox one as the main platform for multi titles
But why? I have all the consoles too and the only time I get a multiplat on XB1 is when they're surprisingly close performance-wise and I happen to find the XB1 version at a lower price.
But PS4 isn't almighty though and gets to take the back seat if there is a PC version, both consoles are struggling with multiplats this generation which is by far their biggest problem.

Steroyd

Beating PS3 numbers in 6 years versus 9 would be crazy, i wonder if its possible.

Normally we're talking about a PlayStation surpassing 100m sales after 5-6 years, with the PS3 being the outlier.

Keep reading, I'm merely complaining about it not having the absolutely legendary library that Ps2 did by this point in time, which is hardly an insult.

large.jpg

Only 3 of them are made by Sony, for Sony to "earn" a legendary exclusive line-up of this scale either MS exits the console business or Sony moneyhats everything...

orochi91

But why? I have all the consoles too and the only time I get a multiplat on XB1 is when they're surprisingly close performance-wise and I happen to find the XB1 version at a lower price.
But PS4 isn't almighty though and gets to take the back seat if there is a PC version, both consoles are struggling with multiplats this generation which is by far their biggest problem.

He was being sarcastic lol

The whole post was a parody of the typical comments used to detract from the PS4's success.

Delio

Doesn't seem like we really need all three doing well together for the industry to do okay. But I dont know overall health of the industry.

large.jpg

3rd party exclusives on a level like that would be almost impossible to obtain now. And does it really doesn't matter if a game is exclusive as long you get to play it?

While we need competition, I don't think there is any reason to think that all three need to be doing well, or that we even need three in the "race".
Do we have an estimate of what % of PS4 sales are coming from the US? It really puts the NPD in perspective.
It's something like a third I think.

lord_lad

Banned

you must be the weird one...i can't speaks for all but i think most can agree with me......most 3rd party will be using PS4 as their lead platform (latest example: Batman AK) and as such, those who both consoles will be playing the 3rd party titles on the PS4...again, i can't say for all but this is just a generalization..

if you really want to play a 3rd party title on a Xbone despite owning both, i'm not stopping you, bro... :p

CCS

Banned
On competition, this situation is fine for the industry. Microsoft made mistakes, got punished, but has made changes in response so that if Sony went off the deep end they could capitalise. You don't necessarily need multiple manufacturers performing at the same level, you just need the chasers to be exerting sufficient pressure to stop the leader from abusing their position, which is the situation as current.

Congrats to Sony and this is an amazing sales of Playstation 4.

PS4 > Xbox (One+360) + Wii U.

Off topic, from the chart, I just realized how insane the Wii shipment was.

And I hope this thread will not become another thread to doom and gloom Xbox One and Wii U.

Congrats to Sony and this is an amazing sales of Playstation 4.

PS4 > Xbox (One+360) + Wii U.

Off topic, from the chart, I just realized how insane the Wii shipment was.

And I hope this thread will not become another thread to doom and gloom Xbox One and Wii U.

I don't think Nintendo could ever replicate that kind of success again, although they do seem to be very optimistic about the NX's chances.

Alo0oy

Banned
The PS4 has more exclusives this holiday than any other console, that's a fact, whether you like those exclusives or not is irrelevant. People need to get over that.

Delio

On competition, this situation is fine for the industry. Microsoft made mistakes, got punished, but has made changes in response so that if Sony went off the deep end they could capitalise. You don't necessarily need multiple manufacturers performing at the same level, you just need the chasers to be exerting sufficient pressure to stop the leader from abusing their position, which is the situation as current.

Do you really think MS is giving Sony the right amount of pressure in this sense? Other than a few NPDs where they jump ahead they seem to be a non factor.

Top Bottom