• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

GnawtyDog

Banned
Their forecast is a little conservative. 1M per month or so w/ a holiday uptick.

13.5M PS4s from March 15 - March 16.

Does make you question a price drop. We'll see.

Rymuth

5OZUtL1.png

CCS

Banned
Do you really think MS is giving Sony the right amount of pressure in this sense? Other than a few NPDs where they jump ahead they seem to be a non factor.

I think so. I view the Xbox One as current as being as good a value proposition as the 360 was, so if Sony made a hideous mess of things like last gen then Microsoft would capitalise. Sony haven't though, hence similar results. I mean, the OG Xbox did way worse than the One is doing, but Microsoft were still highly competitive next time round.

Their forecast is a little conservative. 1M per month or so w/ a holiday uptick.

13.5M PS4s from March 15 - March 16.

Does make you question a price drop. We'll see.

I saw some someone say they raised the prediction from 16M to 16.5M for this fiscal year.

*edit Beaten by the guru

Its threads like these that make me think back to the halcyon days of the start of this generation. A time when article after article stated that it didn't matter than PS4 sold 1m units in a day in two territories, matching what Xbox One did with 13. That everything but the holiday season is the preseason and doesn't matter. That the first to 10m will win the generation (ok this was a Don Mattrick quote and that prophecy seems to have been fulfilled).

All that money and success, show some love to Vita why don't you :(.

lord_lad

Banned
Really goes to show you how important the rest of the world is to the games industry, especially now.

so we can at least reasonably concludes that the PS4 is a global console while the Xbox One is a US/UK one....i'm not condescending the Xbox brand but being pragmatic about it. It is what it is.

Delio

I think so. I view the Xbox One as current as being as good a value proposition as the 360 was, so if Sony made a hideous mess of things like last gen then Microsoft would capitalise. Sony haven't though, hence similar results. I mean, the OG Xbox did way worse than the One is doing, but Microsoft were still highly competitive next time round.

I suppose. I always seem the general rumbling about the Xbone as just not having that value there that the PS4 has. Ah well as long as consoles keep going and no one drops out im good.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Doesn't seem like we really need all three doing well together for the industry to do okay. But I dont know overall health of the industry.

While we need competition, I don't think there is any reason to think that all three need to be doing well, or that we even need three in the "race".

We need Nintendo to be very successful to help induct as many consumers who like to play games with controllers, right

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/11/12/ps4-sony-on-wii-u-changing-your-psn-name

One doesn't need multiple manufacturers performing at the same level or "race," but having multiple competitors being successful in the marketplace is much better than having a monopoly dictating those terms.

Imagine Disney being the sole movie distributor, and not having Warner Bros., LionsGate, Sony, 20th Century Fox, Universal, Paramount, competing for the same $ - it would not be good for the industry or consumers.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Competition breeds great things for consumers. As it stands now, Sony is dominating, so MS has to try much harder to keep their marketshare from collapsing just from the hype factor alone. Thus Xbox owners reap the benefits.

Competition.

nib95

Banned
Do you really think MS is giving Sony the right amount of pressure in this sense? Other than a few NPDs where they jump ahead they seem to be a non factor.

I don't think he means in terms of sales, rather system features, IP, deals, pricing etc. Microsoft has been pretty reactive this gen, and consumers are benefiting from it. Removing Kinect as a forced pack in, re-designing the OS, toolsets, offering backwards compatibility, improving their Games for Gold service, securing more games, lowering prices etc. They're not all the way there yet (parity clause, blocking third party exclusives instead of securing new first party one's etc), but it's a hell of an improvement. Had they not been so positively reactive, I think they'd be dead in the water right now.

*From FY2015, only PS4 unit sales is disclosed.

Does it mean PS3 has no chance to hit 100 millions mark?

I remember many people here predict PS3 will eventually hit that mark and even surpass Wii LTD shipments and no chance for Xbox 360.

Now it seems we will never know when Xbox 360 and PS3 will hit 90millions...

Hydrargyrus

Competition breeds great things for consumers. As it stands now, Sony is dominating, so MS has to try much harder to keep their marketshare from collapsing just from the hype factor alone. Thus Xbox owners reap the benefits.

Competition.

Sony's domination bring us a lot of japanese games. A lot.

Domination

Elios83

*From FY2015, only PS4 unit sales is disclosed.

Does it mean PS3 has no chance to hit 100 millions mark?

I remember many people here predict PS3 will eventually hit that mark and even surpass Wii LTD shipments and no chance for Xbox 360.

Now it seems we will never know when Xbox 360 and PS3 will hit 90millions...

Nope unfortunately but PS3 should be around 90m shipped anyway at this point.

What's the Xbox 360 vs PS3 worldwide tally nowadays? Did the PS3 eventually outsold the 360 at some point? (I know the 360 remained untouched in the U.S. though).

vpance

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/11/12/ps4-sony-on-wii-u-changing-your-psn-name

One doesn't need multiple manufacturers performing at the same level or "race," but having multiple competitors being successful in the marketplace is much better than having a monopoly dictating those terms.

Imagine Disney being the sole movie distributor, and not having Warner Bros., LionsGate, Sony, 20th Century Fox, Universal, Paramount, competing for the same $ - it would not be good for the industry or consumers.

Except imagine those studios share 95% of their movies and each has their own on demand service ;)

I am quite happy for all the big 3 are going back on the right track on their main business:

Microsoft: Windows 10 is well accepted so far by media/journalists and seems have a bright future;

Nintendo: profits, toys business - Amiibo is enjoying good sales;

Sony: PS4 is dominant.

Alo0oy

Banned
so we can at least reasonably concludes that the PS4 is a global console while the Xbox One is a US/UK one....i'm not condescending the Xbox brand but being pragmatic about it. It is what it is.

That has always been the case though, which is why the PS3 sold better than the 360 every year it has been on the market except for 2012.

GnawtyDog

Banned
The forecast is 16.5 million. Not 13.5

38.8m (forecast) - 25.3m (current shipped) = 13.5m left to ship to meet that target by March 16.

March 15 - March 16 = 12 months.

13.5/12 = 1.125m per month.

Comes about that much per month. Perhaps what I am reading is wrong, but not the numbers eh...

Delio

I don't think he means in terms of sales, rather system features, IP, deals, pricing etc. Microsoft has been pretty reactive this gen, and consumers are benefiting from it. Removing Kinect as a forced pack in, re-designing the OS, toolsets, offering backwards compatibility, improving their Games for Gold service, securing more games, lowering prices etc. They're not all the way there yet (parity clause, blocking third party exclusives instead of securing new first party one's etc), but it's a hell of an improvement. Had they not been so positively reactive, I think they'd be dead in the water right now.

I understand now. I honestly was not thinking of it from that way and it makes total sense. I

ZhugeEX

Banned
38.8m (forecast) - 25.3m (current shipped) = 13.5m left to ship to meet that target by March 16.

Comes about that much per month.

You're doing it wrong.....

The forecast is 16.5 million for April 2015 through March 2016.

The forecast is 13.5 million from July 2015 through March 2015.

Inuhanyou

Sony's domination bring us a lot of japanese games. A lot.

Domination

That's the best part in my estimation. Just from PS4's overwhelming success alone, it has spurred a lot of the Japanese developers into trying to take advantage of that wave by putting games on the platform.

You can bet without those huge sales, SE, Sega and Namco Bandai would not have tried as hard to capitalize as they are now. They know they can't release any games in the west on consoles seriously without putting them on the PS4, thus easy PS4 Japanese support.

Alo0oy

Banned

Comes about that much per month.

But there are 9 months remaining of the fiscal year.

I think that estimate is conservative, but not by that much.

TBiddy

They need to address the ROTW situation. Atleast make a better effort in continental europe.

Hard to do much about that now, considering it's all about perception.

In Europe (most of it, anyways), there's only the PS4. The Xbox brand isn't worth much here, outside of the Halo/GoW players. Also, it doesn't help that many of the cool features aren't available here..

But, kudos to Sony. They really hit the nail on the head with the PS4, although they got jumpstarted by Microsoft.

Elios83

By the end of the fiscal year it could have reached 90m. Right now its more like ~88m. Same as 360. Both are pretty neck and neck based on all available data.

Yeah it's pretty close with 90m in sight.
Unfortunately they haven't been able to cut costs and price like they did with PS2 so it's unlikely they'll reach 100m LTD but that is also helping the PS4 which is where they prefer to see sales going.

But PS4 isn't almighty though and gets to take the back seat if there is a PC version, both consoles are struggling with multiplats this generation which is by far their biggest problem.

That should resolve itself once developers are targeting consoles correctly rather than downporting the PC version.

Fredrik

You actually don't need sales figures to see that, I just have to look at the date of my "day 1" purchase, 4th september 2014 (!!) Yup, it hasn't even been out for a year in many countries because of that joke of a worldwide launch. They just don't cared about the rest of us. And maybe these figures are the best way for them to realize what an extremely bad decision that was. PS4 got a full year for themselves in many parts of the world to help them getting this kind of head start.

nib95

Banned
Out of curiosity, anyone got any idea whether the BOM has decreased much since launch?

I'd like to know this too. With the changes to the newest hardware revision, I can see the console being quite profitable right now.

Inuhanyou

Out of curiosity, anyone got any idea whether the BOM has decreased much since launch?

Well with the new revision, i'd say so. Just getting rid of clamshell mode should do wonders for their cost cutting

Top Bottom