• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q2: PS4 shipment 4 million, cumulative sell in at 29.3 million

Nouzka

Some here said I had been salty or something. To make it clear, I was not. You probably missunderstood me, I think. I was just thinking (like lying in the grass and looking at the sky) about what could have been or could be if the PS4 would be the all in one wonder with the best of everything. Things that were important for the ones who bought an xbox one (things, I mentioned: controller, ea access, backwards compatibility, streaming to WinPCs and stuff)
Most of the things aren't impossible for PS4, but the console just don't have it.Would be exciting to see the numbers then.

[And sorry for my grammar but as you can see I am not a native speaker ;))

I think your mention of 45 million sold if these features were in PS4 is just quite weird, like of course it's good to have more features in console and PS4 keeps adding those, but I doubt many of those will affect sales numbers, and not that much (15 million more!) at least.

And your grammar is fine :) .

Toxa

To be fair, he wasn't the only one who thought Sony was doomed. I had my doubts as well.

Wasn't there a thread asking who would win the current (PS4, XBOX One, WiiU) generation from ~2011, where literally everbody predicted MS would easily win, followed by Nintendo?

for some reason everyone wanted to see sony dead ...

I never really doubted since SWWS was too big to die

sörine

Banned
Playstation 1 made Europe as video game market basically relevant.

It was incredible how such a large untapped market was ignored by everyone before Sony.
You mean made Europe a console market. Consoles were relatively niche in Europe pre-PlayStation and none had passed 10 million iirc, a figure passed repeatedly in America and Japan by different machines previously. Videogames in general were still big in Europe during the 80s and early 90s thanks to micros and PC though.

I think the future of maintaining console growth (or at least stunting decline) rests on doing something similar today in Asia by converting PC gamers over to consoles. And Sony's definitely in the best position to do that.

crinale

Playstation 1 made Europe as video game market basically relevant.

It was incredible how such a large untapped market was ignored by everyone before Sony.

People who promoted PS1 (til PS4) are brought from sales engineers of electrical appliances who have experience to sell products to markets with knowledge of neither who the hell Sony were nor what they make. They said the experience trying to sell their products to Eastern Europe long time ago gave them know-hows on product promotion & marketing, and patience too. (Those kind of experience is norm for any global companies who spanned over world market for ages, but in gaming industry Sony has a slight edger over competitors IMHO).

Wii is Nintendo's best product (with the DS). Wii's game library is awesome, and I'm happy that so many people in last generation experienced this greatness. :) Wii being the total sales leader before X360 and PS3 is just icing on the cake.

Yea wii being nintendo best product is just a opinion and not a populer one, as for the people experiencing greatness maybe, but i would think greatness sticks in people minds, and they would be salivating at the mouth for the company's next product. Some 100 million users to only 10 million just doesnt feel like greatness to me.

sörine

Banned
Dont care about any of those, all i care is about console sales, playstation brand is impenetrable in my mind. Microsoft was its main competition last gen did everything right, had a year head start, third party support as good as sony's, better hardware for third partys, most game run better on 360, much better controller, a huge boost by kinect, and was 100-200$ cheaper, and still sony made a come back, and beat it. the ps4, will bring the brand back to ps2 levels, sony will not make the ps3 mistakes again.
Vita. Brand isn't everything.

Damn. Guess I imagined all those games I played before I was 16.

SNES only sold like 8.58 million systems outside of Japan and America. That's indeed nothing compared to the 40 million Playstation 1 systems.

sörine;183393137 said:
You mean made Europe a console market. Consoles were relatively niche in Europe pre-PlayStation and none had passed 10 million iirc, a figure passed repeatedly in America and Japan by different machines previously. Videogames in general were still big in Europe during the 80s and early 90s thanks to micros and PC though.

I think the future of maintaining console growth (or at least stunting decline) rests on doing something similar today in Asia by converting PC gamers over to consoles. And Sony's definitely in the best position to do that.

Maybe I'm running a wrong definition but video game market = tv bound systems while computer game market = PC market (or the old home computers).

Game4life

Banned
Sorry Taurus but lets not beat around the bush. Sony's world wide brand power in home consoles is way way way bigger than Nintendo and Microsoft just like Nintendo's in hand held is untouchable.

When Sony dominate, they shred. This is not true for its competitors.

Anyways great sales. I hope all consoles kick even more ass in 2016 which is shaping up to be the best year in gaming since a long long time.

jaaz

You think this was good quarter? Just wait till that Star Wars: Battlefront LE PS4 comes out and the movie gets closer...

81HmLeIC7YL._SL1500_.jpg

sörine

Banned
Maybe I'm running a wrong definition but video game market = tv bound systems while computer game market = PC market (or the old home computers).
You are. Videogames = console, PC, handheld, mobile, browser, set top, plug n play, arcade, etc

Basically videogames encompass everything that's electronic, uses a screen/image display and a game. The console market is what refers to tv based game consoles specifically, although the term sometimes is used to include dedicated handhelds too.

so how do we gauge what the xbone's sales actually are?
We don't. It's been Vita'd.

sörine;183394451 said:
I wouldn't expect another figure out of MS until they've hit a major milestone (like 20m) and maybe not even then as it invites unflattering comparisons.

It's making me think we might never know what the Xbox's sales are ever again. We might not even get LTD numbers after the generation is over.

so how do we gauge what the xbone's sales actually are?

sörine;183395249 said:
You are. Videogames = console, PC, handheld, mobile, browser, set top, plug n play, arcade, etc

Basically videogames encompass everything that's electronic, uses a screen/image display and a game. The console market is what refers to tv based game consoles specifically, although the term sometimes is used to include dedicated handhelds too.

Well, there is quite the distinction between computer games and video games in German, so I just went with that.

But whatever it doesn't change the fact that Sony is by far the most successful company in Europe. Just that fact made the claims in that old prediction threads quite questionable.

gtj1092

sörine;183380687 said:
To be fair Wii also never had the full industry backing or high failure rate the PS1 did either. I went through 3 PlayStations but only ever needed one Wii for the gen. My PS1 also saw pretty much every big 3rd party game release on it while my Wii only got a handful of them.

The PlayStation brand isn't impenetrable either. It's been a raging success in one area (game consoles) but we haven't seen Sony able to capitalize on that sustained success with PS in other markets yet (handheld, mobile, set top, streaming, other electronics, etc). It's sort of stuck in a box, a box that's doing quite well mind you, but it shows the brand itself has somewhat a narrow reach past that. Microsoft seems to be having a similar difficulty moving Xbox beyond the game console sphere too.

Now we just need Vena and Darius and the cipher will be complete.

SNES only sold like 8.58 million systems outside of Japan and America. That's indeed nothing compared to the 40 million Playstation 1 systems.

Commodore 64 and Amigas at least were commonly used with TVs in pretty similar way as modern consoles. Still using my older brothers Amiga 500 from time to time.

Tfault

sörine;183394451 said:
I wouldn't expect another figure out of MS until they've hit a major milestone (like 20m) and maybe not even then as it invites unflattering comparisons.

Okay, I know it's for Xbox One and 360 combined, but they do give a figure for the fiscal year

We sold 12.1 million Xbox consoles in fiscal year 2015 compared with 11.7 million consoles in fiscal year 2014.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Somewhere deep in the basements of Microsofts headquater in Seattle, Don Mattrick is chained to a bed, his eyes forced open by hooks. Directly above him is mounted a monitor that has a slideshow looping.

Slide 1: "Microsoft announces XB1 at 499$"
Slide 2: "Sony announces PS4 at 399$"
Slide 3: "Microsoft announces always online requirements"
Slide 4: "Sony announces no online requirements"
Slide 5: "Microsoft tells submariners to get a 360"
Slide 6: "Microsoft: Kinect is integral to the XB1 and cannot be separated"
Slide 7: "Microsoft: XB1 is all about TV... and games, we think"
Slide 8: "Sony outsells XB1 almost 3:1"

Slide 8 repeats 20 times before it starts over.

Seriously though, it's mindboggling how much a company can fuck up a launch like that.

And people want MS and Sony to screw up by making a Digital Only Console next gen LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

It'll be the worst thing either of them could do.

And people want MS and Sony to screw up by making a Digital Only Console next gen LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

It'll be the worst thing either of them could do.

BD drives are so cheap these days, while it gives the console access to a well etablished retail channel for games. I'm not sure why a company would want to not include a BD drive in their consoles for the next 10 years.

AdanVC

Wow. Congrats to Sony. I guess this machine is a living proof that your console, in order to sell, doesn't need a GOAT game or a legendary franchise at launch to sell well, It's just a matter of intelligent advertisement that goes straight to the point and delivering a powerful machine without gimmicks and all that jazz -wich is exactly what gamers nowadays want-

Top Bottom