• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY22Q4 Earnings Report - 6.3m PS5 sold, 61% YoY growth (~340 HW growth)

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
any tweet from phil spencer congratulating sony?

Quote from Phil Spencer himself:

I felt good after seeing Sony's earning report. Our hardware advantages that we have built are going to show up as we're talking more about our games and frame rates and other things. I'm "really" confident about the Xbox Series X 2023 line-up.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Of course.

Even if PSVR2 accounted for only half of that, 400,000 - 600,000 in 5 weeks is way above “analyst’s” claims.

I'd really be curious if we are going to get any apologies from the "PSVR2 is dead" crowd from the video game media when Sony announces 1 million units sold this summer? Because yes, if PSVR2 sold say 500,000 units in 5 weeks that's hella good. Especially when you consider they are only selling them direct to consumers like the Steam Deck.

They released Ragnarok last year. Nothing beats GoW in terms of sales. It's normal they predict a decline.

Marvel Spiderman GIF by Insomniac Games

Rough ranges

Thanks for the rough ranges info. Have you ever thought about getting a part time job with a major company like IGN? I swear they need more people like you to help them on how to understand financial data. Unless the DS Edge sold like CRAZY, PSVR2 more than likely sold 500,000 units (give or take a few 10k) in the first 5 weeks on sale.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If they expect lower first party sales even with Spider-Man 2….yeah, safe to say we aren’t getting any other big exclusives before mid 2024 which is disappointing

I think it's mainly because last year had GT7 and Horizon 2 by now. Plus a GOW later that year. I can see one more big AAA 1st party game coming out before March 31st next year after Spiderman 2. But that's it.

Unknown?

Know darn well what? if your phone had a dock built to output signals, it could also be used as a home console. This is not a loose definition, this is a common definition since the birth of console gaming.

If you wanna remove the lite numbers, go ahead.
So anything that can be connected to a TV can be used as a home console?

reksveks

Thanks for the rough ranges info. Have you ever thought about getting a part time job with a major company like IGN? I swear they need more people like you to help them on how to understand financial data.
Games media doesn't pay well sadly. There is a couple of good people that understands the business but not alot I agree.

If they expect lower first party sales even with Spider-Man 2….yeah, safe to say we aren’t getting any other big exclusives before mid 2024 which is disappointing
Got me looking into the FY first party sales (million units)
FY18 - 54.1
FY19 - 49.2
FY20 - 58.4
FY21 - 43.9
FY22- 43.5

I think it may also be a factor that one or two of the first party games being a free GAAS. I also took the forecast for the ps5 units, average usd price and the total revenue and software in general was flat.

Last edited:
This clown is at it again

He's getting decimated in the replies, deservedly so. I did my part 👍

Honestly tho, Bloomberg needs to fire this dude. He has nowhere near the credentials of Jason Schreir, that much is obvious. He's been wrong about PlayStation news multiple times, and obviously spins a negative bias in his PS reporting, when he's supposed to be a journalist and just report the facts.

Get him outta there.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I remember the Black Friday the year with the ps4 Spider-Man bundles and people were going crazy for them cant imagine how bad it’s gonna be this year

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Selling hardware is great but software is where the money is made.
PS5 gen is currently tracking to beat PS4 Lifetime profits in just 3 years on the market - which by itself made more profit than the entire history of all Playstation consoles before it, combined.
Not to mention it nearly doubled the previous best Q4 (set by PS4) in terms of revenue. While the one user complaining about 'but but the userbase is not really growing' may actually have something of a point - Sony (and also MS, let's be fair here) have been absolutely knocking it out of the park in terms of increasing engagement & profit per-user - ie. whether they're buying games or giving $ to Sony out of charity - money's clearly being made, and faster than ever before.

So wherever the narrative about 'people aren't spending $/games are too expensive/services suck' is coming from - it's not supported by numbers shared by any of the 3 platform holders.

Supply finally caught up with a backlog of demand. Perfect storm for setting this Q1 record. Amazing and frankly deserved. Bring on the pro/slim/price drop!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We may still get F2P games. Twisted Metal is the biggest possibility of a live-service F2P game.

We may also get Helldivers 2 and TLOU Online. These two, however, have less chance of being an F2P game.

He's getting decimated in the replies, deservedly so. I did my part 👍

Honestly tho, Bloomberg needs to fire this dude. He has nowhere near the credentials of Jason Schreir, that much is obvious. He's been wrong about PlayStation news multiple times, and obviously spins a negative bias in his PS reporting, when he's supposed to be a journalist and just report the facts.

Get him outta there.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was on Microsoft’s AstroTurfer payroll at this point

You can ignore me but you can't ignore Sony's report.

Sony sold at a loss (digital version) or break even ($499 version) a few million of PS5s, yay!

Not really their user-base is not growing, software is down and revenue is up a tiny amount barely outperforming the Xbox brand who had a 30% hardware decline and a year with no AAA first party releases.
If you think that sony isn't gaining new users after selling more systems from jan - mar than any other system in history, I'd love to hear your characterization on xbox series sales.

Elios83

Varteras

Gold Member
Before anyone complains Sony will most likely stick to smaller acquisitions. Nothing like ABK for example.

To be honest, I don't think Sony ever considered ABK or EA as options. Not because of some inability to purchase them, but because of what they'd have to do to make that work and still possibly be told no by regulators. Now, SE, on the other hand, I can see them going for that in a defensive move if they feel strong winds.

The nuance on this in the call transcript is a bit different:
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q4_sonyspeech.pdf

They say that expenses associated with acquisitions since FY2022 including Bungie are expected to increase by 20%
So my understanding is that they're talking about management costs relative to new studios already acquired and not about reserving more money to buy new ones.

Possibly, but they've also been making it clear that beefing up first-party and IP creation is a priority. So I wouldn't be surprised. Not to mention, the ABK deal looked like it was going to go through until very recently. I don't think Sony is expecting Microsoft or Tencent to back down. They probably still feel pressure to grow.

TrackZ

Are folks thinking we will see less PS on PC coming up? We need some release news for sure, but I'm getting a sense that this is becoming a rumoring based on the things Sony said.

Also, PS5 Pro powered up for performance for $700 or more ASAP please.

To be honest, I don't think Sony ever considered ABK or EA as options. Not because of some inability to purchase them, but because of what they'd have to do to make that work and still possibly be told no by regulators. Now, SE, on the other hand, I can see them going for that in a defensive move if they feel strong winds.

I honestly don't see SE wanting to be bought by Microsoft. Your right that if Microsoft starts looking at Japan they might talk to Sony to gain protection from them. I've heard that some Japanese firms buy each other to avoid being taken over by a foreign company.

Varteras

Gold Member
I honestly don't see SE wanting to be bought by Microsoft. Your right that if Microsoft starts looking at Japan they might talk to Sony to gain protection from them. I've heard that some Japanese firms buy each other to avoid being taken over by a foreign company.

I don't think it would necessarily be Microsoft trying to buy SE. More that other entities try to invest in SE that would harm Sony's ability to do business with them. Also, if other big third parties start going away, Sony might still go after SE just to make absolutely sure they go nowhere. That could be a full on acquisition or a huge investment and partnership.

Last edited:
Are folks thinking we will see less PS on PC coming up? We need some release news for sure, but I'm getting a sense that this is becoming a rumoring based on the things Sony said.

Also, PS5 Pro powered up for performance for $700 or more ASAP please.
No, because it is obviously not hurting PS sales, at all. These PC sales 12 months after initial release, are just extra sales. On top of that, they are selling old games for full price while the PS versions have dropped to $20 or included with PS+.

I don't think it would necessarily be Microsoft trying to buy SE. More that other entities try to invest in SE that would harm Sony's ability to do business with them. Also, if other big third parties start going away, Sony might still go after SE just to make absolutely sure they go nowhere. That could be a full on acquisition or a huge investment and partnership.

Sony and SE do have a long history together. I remember when Sony bought shares from SE to stop them from going bankrupt. Nowadays SE is doing really well with PlayStation so I understand why they still want to have a close relationship with them. I really don't see how Microsoft can just buy them with that going on. In some ways it reminds me on how Insomniac refused to be bought but then went with Sony in the end.

Top Bottom