• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY22Q4 Earnings Report - 6.3m PS5 sold, 61% YoY growth (~340 HW growth)

GHG

I mean, MLB The Show's driver is live service and there is still the quality single player component. GT7 as well.

If these are their style, and if they do online games with their cinematic pedigree, they will have their own type of niche others aren't really doing.

If it's the odd game and doesn't have any impact on what they do best then I don't mind. But if they go off on the deep end and make it their primary focus like pretty much every other publisher these days then I riot and you're all rioting with me.

Wowza that actually hit the 6 mil goal after a holiday quarter, that's crazy. The rest of the numbers look good otherwise. Can't wait for the showcase this summer and rumored slim model this fall

Mr Moose

Nope screw consoles and the mega corporations that control them.
"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

"Developing only for the PC: yes, probably we could get more [in terms of graphics] as there would be nothing else - they would be so focused, like if we would develop only on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. But then we cannot afford such a game."

Varteras

Gold Member
If it's the odd game and doesn't have any impact on what they do best then I don't mind. But if they go off on the deep end and make it their primary focus like pretty much every other publisher these days then I riot and you're all rioting with me.
look joke GIF

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Wow. And we're still on the launch SKU's. No cheaper slim models yet, no Pro version even announced. There's the promise of multiple system-selling games on the horizon. The sky seems to be the limit for PlayStation these days.

Mung

I'm happy that Playstation is stagnating and Xbox is dying but the day Nintendo goes bankrupt I'll pop the champagne.
Yes record sales for a console = stagnating based on my cherry picked data without context. And your sentiment is ridiculous.

And I hope you aren't comparing to PC when you talk about mega corps.. A series of de facto monopolies for Microsoft, nvidia, Intel and valve/steam.

Last edited:

reksveks

The nuance on this in the call transcript is a bit different:
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q4_sonyspeech.pdf

They say that expenses associated with acquisitions since FY2022 including Bungie are expected to increase by 20%
So my understanding is that they're talking about management costs relative to new studios already acquired and not about reserving more money to buy new ones.
Yep, it's this, the allocation for m&a went from 2t jpy to 1.8t jpy.

iAvrkB6.jpg

Last edited:

Mahavastu

How about a PS5 slim without a disc drive at $349, with drive at $399, launching fall 2023!!!
There are rumors that the PS5 slim will have no drive and there won't be a version with drive. You would have to buy the disc drive as an add on.
Anyway, if one can connect the disc drive add on to a current PS5 digital edition I would get one as upgrade...

Mahavastu

Are folks thinking we will see less PS on PC coming up?
No. There will be several multi player games which will be on PC day 1 I guess.
As long as there is are 1-2 years exclusivity for PS5 single player titles it is fine for me. So far those titles, which were sold full price on PC are usually available on PS+ or extremly cheap on PlayStation anyway.

MrA

Banned
Are you going to pretend there wasn't pent-up demand from the previous years of shortages?

anyway, digital growth is flat, guess all digital no-options fanboys are going to have suffer people having options

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, we are thinking that the losses from hardware is coming from an increase in digital PS5 console sales?

Yet digital software sales stayed flat, so maybe the digital consoles are primes more to people who want to play free to play games like Warzone and Fortnite. Which does kind of make sense and it would explains Sony's eagerness to get behind Gaas titles.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How do they post these kinds of numbers and their share price is down 6 percent?

I don't understand the stock exchange at ALL!

GHG

How do they post these kinds of numbers and their share price is down 6 percent?

It was priced in already. The stock, was up over 10% since the end of February.

The stock was already up in anticipation of the news and then some (there was also a big surge yesterday after the activision news). Everyone knew PS5 hardware was selling well so it's come as no surprise to those managing the amounts of money necessary to move the market.

So unless Sony reported something that was a positive surprise financially it's time to take profits (10% since Feb is a very nice return) and move on to the next opportunity, let the Johnny come lately's (retail investors) hold the bag and eventually sell back to them at lower prices.

Last edited:

Elios83

Because it's not about console sales, they issued a conservative profit forecast for the next fiscal year. Current CFO prefers to be conservative at the beginning of the fiscal year and then upgrade the forecast later.
Some short term investors who don't get it (or are just into it to make quick profits), go into panic mode over the possibility that growth is over and they sell.
They'll come back at the first profit report that surpasses expectations.

Last edited:

Neo_game

This clearly means that demand of PS5 was real. Though they still need games and subscription going to make profits. I think next year number will be back to normal. I guess once they reach 50million sales will slow down. Hopefully Pro is in schedule for next year.

They’ve got the most robust sub offering.

Debatable.

They’ve got the best cloud network.

Also debatable.

They’ve got a lot of great studios and IP.

Technically true.

Their console is broadly comparable to the PS5 so shouldn’t have too much difficulty in manufacturing it.

There is probably a problem with the way they have their wafers allocated for S APUs and X APUs, and it's not easy to change that.

They’ve got plenty of money to secure timed exclusives and content.

Maybe but the devs & pubs also have to want to take those deals and Xbox as a brand isn't looking very hot these days.

Over time they should have developed to be in a much stronger position than this.

We are now in a bizarre position where Sony recovered from the PS3, shored up their single player offerings and are now expanding out into areas that in most people’s minds are Microsoft’s wheelhouse (PC gaming, subs, GAAS).

It really is just poor management from top to bottom.

Not much will change as long as the main standing guard of Xbox upper management are still present. Unless they can show they're able to seriously turn things around.

Though at this point, "turn things around" probably means doing things people still invested in the console war, aren't going to like.

Luigi Mario

You can ignore me but you can't ignore Sony's report.

Sony sold at a loss (digital version) or break even ($499 version) a few million of PS5s, yay!

Not really their user-base is not growing, software is down and revenue is up a tiny amount barely outperforming the Xbox brand who had a 30% hardware decline and a year with no AAA first party releases.
For someone who wishes for the death of home consoles and handhelds these kind of mental gymnastics are not surprising but ultimately still embarrassing.

Eotheod

My question is, how do we gauge trajectories from the big companies on whether they are going to fuck with consumers due to market share power? I don't expect Sony to throw a thong at PlayStation machine anytime soon, but typically with dominance comes ignorance due to status quo of choice. Things like less investment in more typically risk adverse options, higher prices because they can and because they can gain more profits or pushing certain acquisition boundaries.

I'm not here dooming and grooming that Sony is going to suddenly fuck with the goose and we'll all pay for not supporting poor Xbox, that's just pure gamer fuel stupidity. I'm just trying to engage in forethought that while speculative in nature has some potential to it.

TLZ

Banned
Are you going to pretend there wasn't pent-up demand from the previous years of shortages?
Why does this logic only apply to PS and not to Switch for instance? When Switch had supply issues according to some at the beginning.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
My question is, how do we gauge trajectories from the big companies on whether they are going to fuck with consumers due to market share power? I don't expect Sony to throw a thong at PlayStation machine anytime soon, but typically with dominance comes ignorance due to status quo of choice. Things like less investment in more typically risk adverse options, higher prices because they can and because they can gain more profits or pushing certain acquisition boundaries.

I'm not here dooming and grooming that Sony is going to suddenly fuck with the goose and we'll all pay for not supporting poor Xbox, that's just pure gamer fuel stupidity. I'm just trying to engage in forethought that while speculative in nature has some potential to it.

Even if Xbox left the market tomorrow, Nintendo and PlayStation would still contend with each other. Meaning the console market would still not be in a monopoly, and both companies would have to concern themselves with making stupid moves.

From what I understand, the CMA noted that despite Nintendo not having access to big third-party franchises like Call of Duty, it's thriving. Switch is selling more than any other console besides PlayStation 2. A direct result of their very strong first party offerings and creative maneuvers on their hardware. This is one of the reasons they doubted Sony's concerns for the console space in the ABK deal. Concerns that were ultimately dismissed.

Even though some will try to point to Sony being the only high-end console manufacturer, should Xbox leave, they completely overlook that Nintendo is the only low-end console manufacturer and no one sees a problem with that. Because there isn't one. If developers and gamers start feeling that they're getting a very bad shake out of Sony, Nintendo will remain an option to play on and develop for. Sure, the games won't be the same. That doesn't mean they'll be worse.

PC gaming is also still an option if the console market gets ugly and pricey. Devices like SteamDeck have also shown it is possible for PC gaming to be on-the-go and more friendly to a casual audience. Mobile gaming is also an option, with an increasing amount of mobile games being robust experiences. Not yet akin to current console or PC titles, but getting there. Then you have stand-alone VR headsets like Quest and potentially Valve's upcoming device.

This also completely neglects the potential for another company to try their luck at filling in the spot left behind by Xbox, as well as ignoring the emergence of cloud gaming. Even without Xbox, the market is robust and with many gaming options. Xbox isn't necessary. It's another option that has largely just been a foil to PlayStation specifically in the console space for many years now.

onQ123

Just waw.

So 38.5 million PS5s against 19.5 million (if going by Ampere's figures) Series 😬

Imagine the gap if going by sold-through 😬😬

I was just trying to explain that it was going to look bad when the numbers come out because even in a best case scenario it was going to look like 20 million to 40 million at a glance.

Even worse there is no sign that Xbox will turn things around in the next few months

URVwOUC.png

I don't think it would necessarily be Microsoft trying to buy SE. More that other entities try to invest in SE that would harm Sony's ability to do business with them. Also, if other big third parties start going away, Sony might still go after SE just to make absolutely sure they go nowhere. That could be a full on acquisition or a huge investment and partnership.

Even then, MS would simply decide to target Capcom, Sega or From. Sony can not protect all of its partners, short of massively investing in all of them, or getting the japanese government to intervene (they won't)...

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Even then, MS would simply decide to target Capcom, Sega or From. Sony can not protect all of its partners, short of massively investing in all of them, or get the japanese government to intervene (they won't)...

Exactly. Which is why I think Sony has probably already laid out a plan internally for what to target in the event this gets ugly. They already own 14% of FromSoft and have a capital alliance with Kadokawa. I certainly see them securing SE first and foremost. Probably major investments in Capcom. Bandai, Konami, and Sega may be protected entities under Japan's investment laws where a foreign entity can only own 33% of them at best. They have ventures beyond gaming. As I understand it, Square Enix and Capcom are not at all protected in that way. But they are still family run businesses. Not easy to convince them to sell.

That being said, I don't think Sony will go after any major Western companies. Too pricey, often too bloated, and some of them, like Ubisoft and CD Projekt, have said they don't want to be bought and are going to lengths to secure themselves.

bitbydeath

Mr.Phoenix

anyway, digital growth is flat, guess all digital no-options fanboys are going to have suffer people having options
I am confused... even if this were the case? Why does it matter? Is it Sonys fault there isn't pent-up demand for some other product?

Seriously though... why does this matter? This is like watching some bitter person watching a race and saying the winner didn't really win, but that everyone else was just slower than him.

Baki

Just waw.

So 38.5 million PS5s against 19.5 million (if going by Ampere's figures) Series 😬

Imagine the gap if going by sold-through 😬😬
I think Xbox will ship between 6-8M XB this year. Potentially they will be outsold by 3 or 4:1 this year if PS5 hits the 25M milestone.

Based on their FY call, they also mentioned large R&D investment into PlayStation and their cloud ambitions. We might see PS5 cloud streaming this FY.

Personally, I am wishing for a PSP 3 with AMD Z1 extreme. I hope some of the R&D budget is for this. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Even if Xbox left the market tomorrow, Nintendo and PlayStation would still contend with each other. Meaning the console market would still not be in a monopoly, and both companies would have to concern themselves with making stupid moves.

From what I understand, the CMA noted that despite Nintendo not having access to big third-party franchises like Call of Duty, it's thriving. Switch is selling more than any other console besides PlayStation 2. A direct result of their very strong first party offerings and creative maneuvers on their hardware. This is one of the reasons they doubted Sony's concerns for the console space in the ABK deal. Concerns that were ultimately dismissed.

Even though some will try to point to Sony being the only high-end console manufacturer, should Xbox leave, they completely overlook that Nintendo is the only low-end console manufacturer and no one sees a problem with that. Because there isn't one. If developers and gamers start feeling that they're getting a very bad shake out of Sony, Nintendo will remain an option to play on and develop for. Sure, the games won't be the same. That doesn't mean they'll be worse.

PC gaming is also still an option if the console market gets ugly and pricey. Devices like SteamDeck have also shown it is possible for PC gaming to be on-the-go and more friendly to a casual audience. Mobile gaming is also an option, with an increasing amount of mobile games being robust experiences. Not yet akin to current console or PC titles, but getting there. Then you have stand-alone VR headsets like Quest and potentially Valve's upcoming device.

This also completely neglects the potential for another company to try their luck at filling in the spot left behind by Xbox, as well as ignoring the emergence of cloud gaming. Even without Xbox, the market is robust and with many gaming options. Xbox isn't necessary. It's another option that has largely just been a foil to PlayStation specifically in the console space for many years now.

Nah, we need xbox to keep Sony in check. Same for MS needing Sony. Someone needs to be in the high end console space or we are cucked.
What? I'm talking about the Switch's first years, when some were saying it had major shortages. When sales blew up later no one mentioned "pent up" sales. But it's the case now for PS?

The switch didn't launch in a global pandemic where demand and shortages were wild on a global scale. Its completely apples to oranges.

Varteras

Gold Member
Nah, we need xbox to keep Sony in check. Same for MS needing Sony. Someone needs to be in the high end console space or we are cucked.

The switch didn't launch in a global pandemic where demand and shortages were wild on a global scale. Its completely apples to oranges.

Maybe I want to be CUCKED, Dench! Did you ever think of that?! What about MY feelings?! :messenger_loudly_crying:

Alex Scott

Will Sony respond to Senator Cramer by May 1st in couple of days?

Are they legally required to?

Last edited:
It honestly feels like after almost 3 years, this gen is finally getting started.

FFXVI is the first true no PS4 version game, it's going to be a monster in June.

Top Bottom