• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Gamescom to be focused on the PS4's lineup

vitarollmkubj.gif

C'mon, Sony! Everyone's buying a PS4, lemme know what's new for Vita :(

LOL - I just lost my shit in the middle of the studio thanks to that GIF

noobasuar

Banned
Not surprising. Better to just cut the losses they've had with the VIta and focus on making sure that the PS4 is a success.

No company is stupid enough to spend the time and money on creating a Vita game with the current userbase that it has. And it's not like Sony has a ton of money to throw at having someone develop a Bioshock or GTA for the system.

salromano

Yes. I have my doubts it will work all that great, but shu yoshida did say it's available as an option.

I talked to one of my guys a little while ago. He is under the assumption that the vita is going to have a nice showing at gamescom but he is double checking (because... shit changes).

I'll report back if/when I learn more. But I don't think this facebook post means that there will be no vita. And of course it was never going to be Vita>PS4.

Any PS4 teases for Gamesom, Mortimer?

ascii42

I understand Sony needs to make money on the PS3 after investing so much on it, and it is the safe bet now that they managed to recover, but... Why release the Vita now if they we not able to support it, then?

The PS3 recovered after the games hit and after the price drop. It needed an extra effort from Sony to make it successful. Same thing with the 3DS. Nintendo slashed the price and brought the heavy hitters to the system. We kind of saw the same thing stating to happen with the Vita with the price cut and Soul Sacrifice in Japan, but clearly, it was not enough, though it helped considerably.

GT6 should be on Vita instead of PS3. Same thing with Puppeteer. PS3 has enough of third party support to handle itself. Sony first party studios should be focused on the Vita. And they are clearly not (as far as we know now). And this is why I said it looks like they are happy to let it end as a expensive PS4 controller.
I don't think Vita cards are big enough yet to fit a decent Gran Turismo game.

Drek

PS3 started to sell great after PS3 Slim and its pricedrop came. 3DS started to sell well only after its price was slashed from 250 to ~170 bucks.

Vita needs the same, but the problem is that it has really pricey components and Sony is not willing to loose money.

They were about breaking even at launch and have already brought MSRP in Japan down to ~$200 USD equivalent. They need to do the same in the U.S. and Europe. $199 MSRP with an 8GB card and 3 months of PS+ in the box.

But yes, it's sales problems are largely hinging on the fact that handhelds simply don't sell well at >$200 MSRP. The PSP sold like molasses for far too long because of this as the DS build an insurmountable lead that the PSP actually took a bite back out of late in it's life in both Europe and Japan. The 3DS struggled mightily with all of Nintendo's brand strength behind it worldwide until they dropped the price. The Vita could see a nice rebound if Sony would get the price in order, stop gouging for memory cards, showcase PS+ heavily on it (free 3 months with each system, free 1 month with each memory card 16GB and above for example), and have a few meaningful 2014 titles. It won't set the world on fire but they could slow burn it to ~30-40M install base, make some nice profit off it, and identify a few new studios worth making first party.

Drek

Not surprising. Better to just cut the losses they've had with the VIta and focus on making sure that the PS4 is a success.

No company is stupid enough to spend the time and money on creating a Vita game with the current userbase that it has. And it's not like Sony has a ton of money to throw at having someone develop a Bioshock or GTA for the system.

Except that Ubisoft was quite happy with how their Vita titles have sold, Sony has made some good money on multiple PSV titles, and indies are making good profit on PSN with the Vita. It has a high tie ratio and is attracting some interest as a result, Sony just needs to make the moves necessary to build on the positive end user experience that the Vita already offers, turn more fence sitters into owners, and then watch that high tie ratio and strong digital distro model turn into a legitimate lure to publishers and developers.

Ishan

Hmm slightly unrelated but guys you wonder why Mobas aren't on consoles yet ? I for one think the ps4 controller with its touch pad should be easily able to handle dota .... I haven't played lol so can't comment on that but I'm quite experienced and competent at dota .... Now of course the stiff learning curve will be a pain ... But what I've seen especially with dota is if you start off with friends guiding you you progress so fast . Of course this was me teaching my buds on LAN... Not something really doable on one ps4 but still if its f2p and f2w it should do okay.

I know there were some lol to xbone rumours earlier .

EDIT also if the rumours we heard about multiple vitas streaming of a ps4 are true this could lead to a group of ppl playing a Moba together on a ps4 ... Espensive setup but could fill a niche

Biker19

Banned
So much for "the vita show"

This. I highly doubt that Sony will make themselves another portable gaming handheld system like PSP & PS Vita again, especially with the piss-poor sales of it going on & how they're probably still taking a loss off of each PS Vita handheld sold.

noobasuar

Banned
Except that Ubisoft was quite happy with how their Vita titles have sold, Sony has made some good money on multiple PSV titles, and indies are making good profit on PSN with the Vita. It has a high tie ratio and is attracting some interest as a result, Sony just needs to make the moves necessary to build on the positive end user experience that the Vita already offers, turn more fence sitters into owners, and then watch that high tie ratio and strong digital distro model turn into a legitimate lure to publishers and developers.

To attract users they need high profile games that you can't get anywhere else. As already shown by the past year and a half Sony has no interest in doing that.

Metallix87

I always thought the Wii U was Nintendo's Vita.

I think they're not very comparable, as the reason each is selling poorly is different. Wii U is selling poorly because Nintendo pushed back all their games and refuses to market the damn thing. Vita's problem is that Sony refuses to show actual interest in the device at shows and with regards to game development. Wii U's problem may be alleviated this Fall, but Vita's will linger until Sony realizes that they have to save their own system.

I understand Sony needs to make money on the PS3 after investing so much on it, and it is the safe bet now that they managed to recover, but... Why release the Vita now if they we not able to support it, then?

The PS3 recovered after the games hit and after the price drop. It needed an extra effort from Sony to make it successful. Same thing with the 3DS. Nintendo slashed the price and brought the heavy hitters to the system. We kind of saw the same thing stating to happen with the Vita with the price cut and Soul Sacrifice in Japan, but clearly, it was not enough, though it helped considerably.

GT6 should be on Vita instead of PS3. Same thing with Puppeteer. PS3 has enough of third party support to handle itself. Sony first party studios should be focused on the Vita. And they are clearly not (as far as we know now). And this is why I said it looks like they are happy to let it end as a expensive PS4 controller.

The Vita is being supported just fine. It's the reason I bought one today.

Not everyone (myself included) wants watered down home console experiences, just becuase that support isn't coming to the Vita in droves doesn't mean it's not getting support.

Every single console EVER, even the successful ones, have had rocky beginnings.

Just give it a bloody chance.

BigDug13

Not everyone (myself included) wants watered down home console experiences, just becuase that support isn't coming to the Vita in droves doesn't mean it's not getting support.

Things like the Batman game gives me hope. It's not a watered down console experience, it's a different game being made for 3ds and Vita. And if Vita gets a bunch of 3rd party 3ds ports but with much better graphics, that's a library of games that is not like what is on offer with the PS4 and further differentiates it from being a watered down home console port machine.

I listened to The Getaway soundtrack earlier (done by Shawn Lee, the awesome guy who produced the Bully and Sleeping Dogs soundtracks too). It made me depressed that Sony will probably never revisit the series. It was janky as fuck and largely wasted its recreation of London on a linear single player, but damn there was some serious potential in there.

Metallix87

It's been on the market almost two full years now. When does the "beginnings" part end? No one wants watered down home console experiences, people just want new games.

It won't set the world on fire but they could slow burn it to ~30-40M install base, make some nice profit off it, and identify a few new studios worth making first party.

Assuming a five-year lifespan, it would still take a fairly massive sales turnaround even to get it to a 20M worldwide LTD by early 2017*. You're dreaming.

*Per some math done by shinra-bansho and Road in previous sales threads, its worldwide sellthrough was at around 4M at the end of March of this year, with around 2.5M of that having been sold post-launch-window. If it somehow managed to maintain that sales rate for four years (highly unlikely given the current software lineup and actual sell-through numbers thus far this year), it'd still only be at 14M worldwide.

Things like the Batman game gives me hope. It's not a watered down console experience, it's a different game being made for 3ds and Vita. And if Vita gets a bunch of 3rd party 3ds ports but with much better graphics, that's a library of games that is not like what is on offer with the PS4 and further differentiates it from being a watered down home console port machine.

Exactly.

I think if this mobile revolution has taught us anything it's that... When people want to do the big gaming, they'll commit time to it.

Vita is for the commute, Vita is for out in the garden/in the park. I do not want to play a 60 hour epic and graphically stunning game, because - it's not pretty when it's so tiny, and it's too long to stay on the bus.

Drek

To attract users they need high profile games that you can't get anywhere else. As already shown by the past year and a half Sony has no interest in doing that.

They've done exactly that, but there is no such thing as a game that sells $250 handhelds to the majority of gaming enthusiasts.

Uncharted:GA had a crazy tie ratio at launch. It's legs have died off because $250 is too much for a handheld period.

Soul Sacrifice caused a nice spike in Japan. That faded after it's release because $200 USD equivalent is still too much for a handheld (though this is also part of why they're fairing a bit better in Japan than elsewhere, they've already got one price cut).

They've released games that have shown the ability to move the needle, but a game doesn't take a 10K per week system and make it sell 100K. A lower price and better memory prices will bring the weekly floor up and lower the threshold at which consumers cave for a particular title. Then when noteworthy titles are released more consumers are pushed over the tipping point into buying in.

Drek

Assuming a five-year lifespan, it would still take a fairly massive sales turnaround even to get it to a 20M worldwide LTD by early 2017. You're dreaming.

1. Of course it would take a pretty significant turn around. Something like what Sony did with the PS3 for example. Or the PSP's late life surge in Japan.

2. Why are you assuming a five year lifespan? I don't see Sony releasing another dedicated handheld ever again and the Vita has direct applications to the PS4, which comes out this fall. The PS4 is following a console with a 7 year gap between launch and it's successor (and will likely be relevant for another few years), with the PS4 already being talked about as having a similar lifespan. All signs suggest to me that the Vita being much closer to a 10 year lifespan than a 5 year lifespan.

Metallix87

Drek, the problem is that Vita would spend seven or eight years of that ten year lifespan as a glorified PS4 accessory.

It's been on the market almost two full years now. When does the "beginnings" part end? No one wants watered down home console experiences, people just want new games.

It's been on the market inarguably 18 months out West. Given most consoles last 8 years, we're under a fifth through the generation.

And as far as I can see it hit it's stride about 6 months ago with this insane indie mother lode.

It's waiting for a price drop but no one has a bad word to say about it. It's going to do 30 mil LTD. That's not bad.

1. Of course it would take a pretty significant turn around. Something like what Sony did with the PS3 for example. Or the PSP's late life surge in Japan.

If you really can't see for yourself that Vita is in a much, much, much deeper hole than either of those platforms ever were, there isn't really much point in having this conversation. It obviously is to anyone who pays attention to sales and the software lineup.

2. Why are you assuming a five year lifespan? I don't see Sony releasing another dedicated handheld ever again and the Vita has direct applications to the PS4, which comes out this fall. The PS4 is following a console with a 7 year gap between launch and it's successor (and will likely be relevant for another few years), with the PS4 already being talked about as having a similar lifespan. All signs suggest to me that the Vita being much closer to a 10 year lifespan than a 5 year lifespan.

Okay, nine more years on the market. Still only gets to 24M WW even if it manages to maintain last year's sales.

I'm perfectly capable of seeing why so many GAFfers love it, but it's a completely misconceived product that will never have any kind of relevance outside a narrow niche. Whatever sales come after the Western price cut, assuming there is one, will continue to prove that.

The PSP was never really well-supported in its first few years either...

Looking at what's been out on the console, I can't help but see that Vita's received a lot of support, it's only slowed down due to Sony's laser-focus on PS4 at the moment, which is perfectly normal. And the quality of the games may not have been stellar, but it's been improving. It's just being overly compared to the 3DS. (DS beat the shit out of PSP too in regards to early-library)

When I look back at the PSP early-days, I still remember that the first few years was also a ton of mediocre games, ports and the usual low-quality outings not unlike the indies we're seeing now.

I recall PSP only started gaining real strides around 2007-8, after its ben around for 2+ years with MHF2... then it really hit the lightning with Crisis Core, Ghost of Sparta, Grand Turismo, KH, Peacewalker, etc.

Sure, PSP sold more then, but the handheld gaming landscape has changed significantly since then. Honestly, I think Vita has a much stronger long-term potential than the PSP did, and I feel that it will become more evident as the transition to PS4 occurs... especially for the devs who can recycle their sub-PS3 assets on the Vita.

Honestly, I don't think Vita will ever be as successful as the PSP, but I still think it can be a modest success.

Metallix87

It's been on the market inarguably 18 months out West. Given most consoles last 8 years, we're under a fifth through the generation.

And as far as I can see it hit it's stride about 6 months ago with this insane indie mother lode.

It's waiting for a price drop but no one has a bad word to say about it. It's going to do 30 mil LTD. That's not bad.

Most consoles last eight years? Since when? This generation is ending in under eight years, and sales have already been slumping because it lasted so long. A typical console should last five to six years before a successor is released, based on sales data.

I have a bad word to say about it: Sony doesn't seem to care about it, and I doubt it even makes 30 million units.

HORRORSHØW

How long is Sony's press conference? Hopefully they'll announce a couple of new titles, and not regurgitate their E3 showing for a European audience.

Most consoles last eight years? Since when? This generation is ending in under eight years, and sales have already been slumping because it lasted so long. A typical console should last five to six years before a successor is released, based on sales data.

Handheld console space is different. A new generation arrives when Nintendo demands it, or when the notion of a dedicated handheld gaming machine has lost its value proposition altogether.

As it is now? Both devices still has another 5 years in the market, imo. Especially in Japan where it's a different gaming scene altogether.

I have a bad word to say about it: Sony doesn't seem to care about it, and I doubt it even makes 30 million units.

Sony's always cared less about their handheld vs console, since when is Vita an exception? Besides, it's still getting games, just 'less' games.

Kyoufu

I feel that Sony should expand SCEWWS with Vita-centric development studios so they have a healthy balance of console and handheld games from their first party.

Maybe they'll use some of the PS+ revenue for this in the future.

Baleoce

Question:

We all know that any PS4 game that doesn't require the camera will be compatible with Vita remote play streaming.

But, what about at OS level? Will we be able to control functions of the OS via Vita as well, and this extends to app usage. For example, in Europe we still don't have Netflix on Vita... So would I be able to use remote stream Vita to access the PS4 version of Netflix? Or use the social functions that are at OS level on PS4. Is this information we know about, or has it just not been asked yet?

Top Bottom