• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony GDC 2010 Press Conference (PS Move, PSWii Sports, PSWii Boxing, PSWii Party)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
shagg_187 said:
Pretty much. Where is Kratos when you need him.
Also, those complaining about Lack of dual analog sticks, I'm sure you can use two sub-controllers and let the other one act as the 2nd stick (with X and O being mapped Triangle and Square).

All up the developer, I suppose.

Please. As I said earlier, I own all three systems. Anybody who thinks Sony put on a good showing here is absolutely out of their mind. The tech has potential but nothing they've shown looks more than mediocre.

yencid

Gomu Gomu said:
Oh man, you are going to see A LOT of on rail shooters on this thing. believe me. And you know what, a developer will put a fake plastic gun that you can insert the Move in it, and then you'll feel just like the good old days of the arcade.
Deliver those shooters through PSN at a good price and im down

boiled goose

good with gravy
Gomu Gomu said:
15nuhyq.jpg

:lol

Cannot believe the lack of shame... :lol :lol :lol

Copycat down to the wrist strap and the look... :/

Hopefully the games are better or comparable to the Best games available on wii now...

Edit: If the pointer is accurate for FPSs the move + movechuck is better than the wii mote.
I like the extra face buttons on the wand and the dpad on the chuck.

Question: Do both remotes have triggers and is there a big button under the thumb?

You will need to buy 8 new remotes for local multi games.... any pricing details yet?

So basically Sony shamelessly now has Wii support for their system. Smart move, I guess. It's a nice selling point for families looking to upgrade to HD entertainment. I just hope I never have to hear about it again.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
I was watching the guy during it, though. The character didn't weave with him. It seemed almost like he was moving the two Moves in one direction or the other between punches. It's hard to tell though but it certainly didn't look like one-to-one body tracking for the fighter's physical movements.

Yes, it did look rough in general - I mean the motion controller mapping there wasn't good even. But just relaying what they're saying they'll include...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DMeisterJ said:
I guess the Wii has not taught people anything.

Calling the Move a failure before it comes out is the ultimate failure.
There's a difference between "comes standard with the system" and "optional peripheral released afterwards" though. It's not exactly the same comparison.

Dogenzaka said:
Nothing has failed yet as neither of these are out. Please stfu.

This was something to spur developers to see the potential.

There's potential to see here that hasn't been there since the Wii came out over 3 years ago?

I love playing the Wii, and I'm sure Sony's version will be more accurate and the games will look better, but I'm not seeing anything here that I didn't see at E3 2006 when the Wii was playable.

Developers know what they're getting with this, an opportunity to port Wii titles that weren't successful on the Wii to a machine where no one will buy them here either.

Without a controller being packaged with every PS3 this can never be anything more than an alternate control method. SIXAXIS is included in every PS3 controller and no developer uses that without providing a solution that uses the analogue sticks.

The machine is more expensive, the controller is even more expensive, it needs a camera and the games so far, are the same tech demos Nintendo showed nearly 4 years ago. There is very little to be excited about, or to think developers will be excited about.

Still, playing RE5 with Wii controls will be nice. At least this can do shooters, Natal is yet to prove it can, or light gun games. Hey Sony, package a bunch of Sega Light Gun shooters with Move and you'll have piqued my interest. But it would be pretty hard to fit that controller in a plastic gun shell.

Spasm

cw_sasuke said:
Wait it doesnt support rumble ?
alr1ghtstart said:
KEY FEATURES:
o Vibration feedback is felt during specific actions
Durp, guess it does. Too bad there's no Community Games on PS. I could see the next iteration of Rumble Massage being a huge hit.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
Explains why they wanted all the wireless broadcast stuff turned off as per Gamespot.

And yes, the fighting game looks rough. Though they just said they'd be including knee, elbow and head moves...they seemed to be looking at stance with the eye also, so it looks like that's going to mix controller and general body motion.

Thanks gofreak.

Another interesting bit I understood looking at the GS feed is that the bulb color is determined by the system relative to the color of the room in order to make it stand out. That's pretty clever.

But still, if it does indeed lack vibration I'll be pissed.

Plinko said:
Please. As I said earlier, I own all three systems. Anybody who thinks Sony put on a good showing here is absolutely out of their mind. The tech has potential but nothing they've shown looks more than mediocre.

Awesome. The whole world revolves around you, and every comment of mine is directed towards you, right?

:/

Konosuke

It's nice to have the confirmation of rumble on the Move controller. How about the SubMove?
Also, am i the only one to notice that the Move and SubMove have totally different triggers? They could also make a DualShock3.1 with those new triggers. Wouldn't do them any harm i think.

TTP said:
Thanks gofreak.

Another interesting bit I understood looking at the GS feed is that the bulb color is determined by the system relative to the color of the room in order to make it stand out. That's pretty clever.

It's in don't worry.

Dogenzaka said:
It doesn't have to be for you. Unlike the Wii, it's mostly optional.
Yup. That one dude did claim they'd try to extend beyond what the Wii has primarily been doing though. But eeehh... But we'll see. But whatever. It'd be nice if there was eventually something I'd be wowed by, but if not I'm perfectly content with my analog sticks.

I would be somewhat interested in this Heavy Rain talk one has been hearing about. I don't know if that was for future games though maybe? That sort of stuff and what Shattered Memories is doing I'd care about.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gomu Gomu said:
Oh man, you are going to see A LOT of on rail shooters on this thing. believe me. And you know what, a developer will put a fake plastic gun that you can insert the Move in it, and then you'll feel just like the good old days of the arcade.

Point Blank sequel, PLEASE. It's been years.

chubigans said:
Ooh... :lol :lol

DAMN RIGHT!!

This family-friendly action-adventure game, based on the films and literature of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, will ship in fall 2010 for the PlayStation 3 system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ system.

MICROSOFT OWNED!!!! LOTR = GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER!!

/s]

HomerSimpson-Man said:

Naa. That's reserved for wiimote, man!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TTP said:
Thanks gofreak.

TTP, it's right in the press release. Sub controller= no rumble, normal sphere controller= rumble.

Plinko

shagg_187 said:
Awesome. The whole world revolves around you, and every comment of mine is directed towards you, right?

:/

The problem, though, is that you make a blanket generalization that "Wii fanboys" are the ones who think this thing looks bad. There have been several people in this thread who seem to be Sony fans that feel the same.

Hiltz

Sony, you're lacking something called ORIGINALITY.

Everything it just showed off at GDC can be done with Natal (which at least can do some unique things) while the actual motion control is basically the same thing that the Wii can do whether its with the standard controls or MotionPlus.

It hurts to watch Sony pretend to be something its not and think that it is providing a superior project when compared to Nintendo and Micosoft's efforts. So far ,the tech demos have failed to impress me... and what's with all of the pre-alpha footage ? Lame.

... and then there's the actual controller and official name of it. PlayStation Move and subcontroller ? Sony needs to fire the employee who came up with those dull names.
So it looks like a coloreful sex toy on a microphone. I think this is where I should start laughing.

Corto

Konosuke said:
It's nice to have the confirmation of rumble on the Move controller. How about the SubMove?
Also, am i the only one to notice that the Move and SubMove have totally different triggers? They could also make a DualShock3.1 with those new triggers. Wouldn't do them any harm i think.

I would guess that only the Move will get rumble as it's the part of the controller associated with the action...

Konosuke

chubigans said:
TTP, it's right in the press release. Sub controller= no rumble, normal sphere controller= rumble.
Well that sucks. It's going to be weird feeling a punch connecting on one hand and not on the other.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Plinko said:
The problem, though, is that you make a blanket generalization that "Wii fanboys" are the ones who think this thing looks bad. There have been several people in this thread who seem to be Sony fans that feel the same.
It's GAF - you're either "with us" or "with them," choose a side!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hiltz said:
Everything it just showed off at GDC can be done with Natal (which at least can do some unique things) while the actual motion control is basically the same thing that the Wii can do whether its with the standard controls or MotionPlus.
Oh boy, I was waiting for a comment like this. Now this thread can really take off. :D

Gomu Gomu said:

Why is the Wii Controller setup design (both aesthetically and ergonomically) far better than the sub-controller design despite being nearly half a decade old?

EDIT - No rumble?

No motion controller in nunchuck?

Seriously? :lol

Soooo I missed the entire conference. Judging by the thread title every single thing that Sony showed was related to motion control. Am I right on this?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yep, just what I expected the final product to look like, a Wii Remote with a different button layout.

Does it still need a special camera or can you use the old one?

Top Bottom