• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony GDC 2010 Press Conference (PS Move, PSWii Sports, PSWii Boxing, PSWii Party)

stupei said:
You'd think a developer's conference would be the most obvious place to announce even some of your innovative new takes on integrating motion controls into hardcore gameplay. You know, since so many of the third parties keep saying they don't know how to make successful hardcore games for the Wii, it seems they could really benefit from a demonstration on how to make motion control appealing in genres outside the casual stuff.

If you think that GDC is the only time platform holders are talking to developers - you're mistaken. Besides, AAA titles take time. Polish up before showing public.

Man

4422280435_98ed827968_b.jpg

4423031462_c7f959bd98_b.jpg

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

My opinion of this thing remains unchanged from when I knew nothing about it. These sort of games are kind of exactly what Nintendo showed a couple of years ago, and they're still not really for me.

As always it's primarily the software that has to convince you to purchase the hardware and I simply don't care particularly much about what Sony has shown so far.

Games like SOCOM...I can't see myself splurging out $69, or whatever the Move+subcontroller end up costing, to get Move support in a cover-based third person shooter that I wasn't planning on purchasing anyway. Even if it does work splendidly for shooters...I don't know, I don't really see a point to it. I don't think it would enhance the experience in any tangible manner. If I ever buy a peripheral it'll probably be a racing wheel.

The one demonstration I was intrigued by was the augmented reality one. That stuff is pretty cool. Game looked like fun too, for like en hour though maybe.

Shoulder shrug/10

What a terrible name that is by the way. Sub-controller. So what, it's not as good as a regular controller? Is that what you're trying to say Sony?

Dogenzaka

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
The Ninetndo 'Wii'. What a fucking stupid name. It'll never sell.

Motion controls will never work. Especially when the the company releasing is it is losing the sales war and the name is so stupid.

^ Sums it up quite nicely.

I try not to make absolute claims on whether something will fail or not anymore.
And considering how unpredictable this industry can be, I'm going to enjoy digging through this thread again next year and pulling out posts in case the Move actually does really well.

My opinion of this thing remains unchanged from when I knew nothing about it. These sort of games are kind of exactly what Nintendo showed a couple of years ago, and they're still not really for me.

It doesn't have to be for you. Unlike the Wii, it's mostly optional.

Baki

KnightM7 said:
Well I guess the difference is that the Sony ads probably didnt require as much acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2gIQA5aR2I
Showing some dude sitting on a couch jerking off would have been a better representation of what type of 'motion controls' are needed for wii games.

(lets hope Sony doesnt screw me over on this too)

And another thing...The PS3 Move games have a sort of "stale" art style about them. Not all, but the Sports Champions one definitely. Kind of like HOME's "stale" art style.

Yagharek

Wow. This is a surprise news announcement to wake up to :lol

I look at it this way (as a Wii fan and PS3 owner).

Wiimote + nunchuk is fantastic control method for games sensibly designed around it. Love playing things like Metroid Prime or mario smash football or SMG etc with it. It can really feel natural.

Sony taking the design and emulating it (with what sounds like some impressive internal tech) only confirms to me that the Wiimote+nunchuk design was the right move to begin with. Everyone copied the dpad. It worked. Everyone copied the analogue stick. It worked too. (I dont think Nintendo invented the analog stick, but they popularised it). This 'freestyle controller' design works well and I am not surprised Sony has seen fit to use it too.

No complaints from me whatsoever, but it will be interesting to see if MS also adopt a similar controller in the future, as opposed to natal.

Kimosabae

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
You must be joking

Why would I be? Sure, there's a Dual Shock already, but it takes away from the perceived value of the Move, relative to the Wiimote.

So if I'm a heavy multiplayer gamer, I need 4 Dual Shock 3s and 4 Moves in my living room. Silly, IMO. Sony Move's ergonomics should have considered multiple control options, with a D-pad on the Wand portion.

*edit*

Didn't see there was a D-Pad on the "Nunchuck" half. Still.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
PR

OVERVIEW

PlayStation®Move offers a new and innovative gaming experience for the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) system
by fusing realistic, high-definition gaming along with accurate, intuitive control. Consisting of
PlayStation®Move motion controller, PlayStation®Move sub-controller and PlayStation®Eye camera,
PlayStation Move enables sophisticated motion control and immersive gameplay only possible on the PS3
system.

PLAYSTATION®MOVE MOTION CONTROLLER

The corner stone of PlayStation Move, PlayStation Move motion controller combines advanced motion
sensors, a dynamic color changing sphere, vibration feedback, and an easy to use button interface. Equipped
with three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer and terrestrial magnetic field sensor, PlayStation Move
motion controller tracks the precise movements and the angle of the controller. The PS3 system also detects
the absolute position of the controller in 3D space by using PlayStation Eye camera. Highly sensitive
movement tracking can be accurately traced back to the game, allowing intuitive gameplay as if the player
is within the game.

KEY FEATURES:
o Works with PlayStation Eye camera to accurately track player position
o Includes action buttons of DUALSHOCK®3 and SIXAXIS® wireless controller for direct
input
o Sleek and Wireless
o Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
o Advanced motion sensors in the controller precisely track both fast and subtle movements
o Color of the sphere's light provides visual feedback during gameplay
o Vibration feedback is felt during specific actions
o Bluetooth® technology supports wireless gaming
o Simultaneously use up to four motion controllers with a PS3 system
o Charge the controller and automatically pair it with the PS3 system via a USB cable (Type
A - Mini-B)

PLAYSTATION®MOVE SUB-CONTROLLER

PlayStation Move sub controller is a supplementary controller, developed to further expand the experience
that PlayStation Move games can offer. It can be used in most PlayStation Move games that require
navigating an in-game character as it replicates the control features of the left side of DUALSHOCK 3 and
SIXAXIS wireless controller into one’s PlayStation Move experience. PlayStation Move sub controller
adds an analog stick, directional buttons and two face buttons into the PlayStation Move's control scheme.
In addition, the sub-controller contains the L1 button, L2 button and L3 button for actions and commands
common in advanced gaming.

KEY FEAURES:
o Wireless control completely untethered from PlayStation Move motion controller
o Intuitive navigation of in-game characters
o Easy and intuitive XMB™ menu navigation
o Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
o Charge the controller and automatically pair it with the PS3 system via a USB cable (Type
A - Mini-B)
o Sleek curved body design that easily pairs with the motion controller

Note: DUALSHOCK 3 and SIXAXIS wireless controller can be used in place of the sub controller for all games
that are compatible with the sub controller

PLAYSTATION®EYE CAMERA

As an integral part of PlayStation Move, PlayStation Eye camera is designed specifically to work with the
next generation of PlayStation Move gaming titles being developed for the PS3 system. When used with
PlayStation Move motion controller, PlayStation Eye camera precisely tracks a user’s movement and the
motion controller’s sphere to help bring every move into the game. In addition, PlayStation Eye camera
captures a player’s voice or image and when combined together with PlayStation Move games, will bring a
whole new entertainment experience to user only possible on the PlayStation® platform.

KEY FEAURES:
o Engineered to perform in low-light conditions so that the rooms do not have to be lit
brightly for the camera to deliver crisp, perfectly exposed video
o Two position zoom lens for close-up and full body options
o At 60 frames per second, captures a sharp, clear picture at 640 x 480 resolutions
o Frame rate of up to 120 frames per second for improved tracking, responsiveness and
smoothness
o A sophisticated microphone with the ability to reduce background noise and focus on
spoken word for smoother, more accurate speech recognition

PRICING AND AVAILABLILITY:
Available in North America fall 2010. Pricing to be announced.

richisawesome said:
Eh, what?

Metroid Prime with the sensitivity settings set to high is about as close as you can get to a keyboard and mouse PC setup in terms of sheer accuracy and speed. And the PC doesn't have dual analogue, does it?

I mentioned Metroid Prime Trilogy having smooth controls on Wii, the reason it works so well (and RE4) is because it was designed for one analogue stick control on the Wii. For other shooters like Call of Duty and Red Steel all use thoe bounding boxes for turning when you aim at the edge of the screen, I hate that, and it would be sorted with a second analogue stick. A PC is dual analogue, well, mouse is right analogue stick and keyboard left. The mouse pointer always stays in the centre of the screen, with the Wii/Move it doesn't. You can aim at any part of the screen but once you get close to the edge the camera shifts, sometimes in unpredictable ways.

Devs have done great work on Wii with customisable controls on the recent CoD games and The Conduit, but a second analogue stick would have made those massive customisation controls unnecessary.

Third Party Developers and Publishers Supporting PlayStation®Move platform

Company Name (in alphabetical order, as of March 10, 2010)

505 Games U.S.
Activision Publishing, Inc.
AQ INTERACTIVE Inc.
ARC SYSTEMS WORK CO.,LTD
ATLUS Co., LTD.
Bigben Interactive
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
CCP
Crave Entertainment
CYBERFRONT Corporation
Disney Interactive Studios
Electronic Arts Inc.
FromSoftware, Inc.
Game Republic, Inc.
GUST CO., LTD.
HUDSON SOFT CO., LTD
IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.
Koei Co., Ltd.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Majesco Entertainment
Marvelous Entertainment Inc.
NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
ONGAKUKAN Co., Ltd.
Oxygen Games
PAON CORPORATION
Q Entertainment Inc.
Q-GAMES, LTD.
SEGA CORPORATION
Sony Online Entertainment
Spike Co., Ltd.
SQUARE ENIX GROUP
TECMO, LTD.
THQ Inc.
UBISOFT®
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Zoo Entertainment, Inc.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
Ooooh. It uses a magnetic field. That's new.

Where are u reading that?

Is the sub-controller motion sensor equipped? What about rumble? Is it in the Move controller?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
LabouredSubterfuge said:
The Ninetndo 'Wii'. What a fucking stupid name. It'll never sell.

Motion controls will never work. Especially when the the company releasing is it is losing the sales war and the name is so stupid.

Not the same though - N was the first to do it and there controlller didnt look like shit.

farnham

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Third Party Developers and Publishers Supporting PlayStation®Move platform

Company Name (in alphabetical order, as of March 10, 2010)

505 Games U.S.
Activision Publishing, Inc.
AQ INTERACTIVE Inc.
ARC SYSTEMS WORK CO.,LTD
ATLUS Co., LTD.
Bigben Interactive
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
CCP
Crave Entertainment
CYBERFRONT Corporation
Disney Interactive Studios
Electronic Arts Inc.
FromSoftware, Inc.
Game Republic, Inc.
GUST CO., LTD.
HUDSON SOFT CO., LTD
IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.
Koei Co., Ltd.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Majesco Entertainment
Marvelous Entertainment Inc.
NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
ONGAKUKAN Co., Ltd.
Oxygen Games
PAON CORPORATION
Q Entertainment Inc.
Q-GAMES, LTD.
SEGA CORPORATION
Sony Online Entertainment
Spike Co., Ltd.
SQUARE ENIX GROUP
TECMO, LTD.
THQ Inc.
UBISOFT®
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Zoo Entertainment, Inc.
at least sony gets that thing right

this list is already much bigger then the third party support nintendo got since 2006

Koren

A.R.K said:
What is the color ball for?
Spatial absolute positionning. Can be useful to some games, won't matter much to many, but still nice to have, even if it makes the package more expensive.

A.R.K said:
What if the bulb dies would the controller still work?
AFAIK, it's RGB leds, it won't die.

A.R.K said:
btw, what the fuck GAF was expecting?
A couple of new ideas... I would have been pleased with something like echochrome, for example. Just one or two things that are not ripoffs.

Somewhat off topic: Why do Wii FPS games use a drag look vs how it works on PC with a mouse?

I ask because I don't think Socom looked like it was doing the drag thing (not sure though).

Dogenzaka

Banned
RandomVince said:
Wiimote + nunchuk is fantastic control method for games sensibly designed around it. Love playing things like Metroid Prime or mario smash football or SMG etc with it. It can really feel natural.

Sony taking the design and emulating it (with what sounds like some impressive internal tech) only confirms to me that the Wiimote+nunchuk design was the right move to begin with. Everyone copied the dpad. It worked. Everyone copied the analogue stick. It worked too. (I dont think Nintendo invented the analog stick, but they popularised it). This 'freestyle controller' design works well and I am not surprised Sony has seen fit to use it too.

Pretty much.

This will work splendidly for games that are designed well around it, and for FPS.

A couple of new ideas... I would have been pleased with something like echochrome, for example. Just one or two things that are not ripoffs.

There were a couple of showings that were definitely not rip-offs. Besides, just because echochrome wasn't shown doesn't mean it's not in development or can't be developed for the controller. They're trying to reel in developers with this. It was only formally shown today as something other than a concept.

Ataturk

richisawesome said:
Can you imagine shaking/waggling the controller while trying to accurately control the analogue stick on it at the same time? I sure can't. :lol

It wouldn't work.
Yeah but the second wand could double as a nunchuck, it just seems wasteful to have the third controller there too.

Rainier

Dogenzaka said:
Nothing has failed yet as neither of these are out. Please stfu.

This was something to spur developers to see the potential.
They've had the last three years to do that. Why start now just because you're making them for Sony instead of Nintendo?

DMeisterJ

Banned
I guess the Wii has not taught people anything.

Calling the Move a failure before it comes out is the ultimate failure.

--

Anyway, I'm still on HYPE/10. SOCOM 4 looked good, the boxing looked fun, and so did eyepet. While the rest didn't look good at all, they weren't games I'd be remotely interested in, and to the people that will buy them, the games looking like that won't matter (look at the Wii library). I do hope more 'core' games are announced come E3, but I'd buy it just for SOCOM 4 and RE5: Gold.

fml i never should have watched the ustream, some ass spoiled ending of GoW3, or at least i think he did.

i wonder the exact price of the move+camera bundle..

farnham

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
I mentioned Metroid Prime Trilogy having smooth controls on Wii, the reason it works so well (and RE4) is because it was designed for one analogue stick control on the Wii. For other shooters like Call of Duty and Red Steel all use thoe bounding boxes for turning when you aim at the edge of the screen, I hate that, and it would be sorted with a second analogue stick. A PC is dual analogue, well, mouse is right analogue stick and keyboard left. The mouse pointer always stays in the centre of the screen, with the Wii/Move it doesn't. You can aim at any part of the screen but once you get close to the edge the camera shifts, sometimes in unpredictable ways.

Devs have done great work on Wii with customisable controls on the recent CoD games and The Conduit, but a second analogue stick would have made those massive customisation controls unnecessary.
funny i never had problems with call of duty (i played 3 and 5 on the wii)

never played red steel though

Cipherr

Epic fucking fail. I cannot believe what I am seeing.

Somehow I convinced myself that they werent going to fucking do this. They really phoned this shit in. I have got to see Natal now, this is ridiculous.

Top Bottom