• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony given power to seize Geroge Hotz's computer, Twitter and Youtube request denied

test_account

XP-39C²
LovingSteam said:
I'd love to have Phosphor and othees who agree with him respond to this dev and the other who believe the JB and homebrew are and should continue to be allowed. Afterall, mpst of the statements against it are basd on financial damage to devs while here we have 2 devs in favor with one stating used games are a bigger problem.
I dont mind used game sales at all, and honestly i dont mind piracy that much either. If someone want to do piracy, that is a choice that they make themself, i'm not going to comment on if people should do it or not. Also in general, i dont think that piracy has THAT big affect on the income that some of the companies claim. It is impossible to prove this though, but this is just what i think.

I also know that many people uses these custom firmwares and modifications for 100% legit purposes, so i dont see anything wrong with that :)

The thing that i am most interested about in this case is if it should be allowed to post info publically online on how to break security systems, and especially when it comes to publishing decryption keys which cant be revoked, giving the owners of the security system a very small chance to fix their mistakes.

I also dont really mind what people to personally to their devices, but i'm mostly interested in when it comes to publish such info online so that it can become very widespread. And when it becomes very widespread, should the owners of the security system have some protection against this when it comes to the law. Not when it comes to that people personally modify their devices, but when it comes to publish the information online about how to break the security systems.

Personally i do feel that the companies should have some kind of protection against this. We might say "if you want your device to be secure, then make a better security system". There is some truth to this of course, but how many of these security systems have been 100% secure? None as far as i know. Why is that? Does it mean that there is impossible to make a security system that is 100% secure? If so, should the companies then have the rights to a "2nd layer" of protection through law? In some cases i think yes, especially when it comes to publishing decryption keys that cant be revoked to a security system that we havnt made ourself.

Also just a comment regarding used game sales VS piracy. It is true that most publishers want people to buy new copies of the games since the publishers doesnt make money on the used game sales.

But when it comes to piracy, technically it is enough that one person buys one copy, put it up for download and a week later i.e 1 million people have downloaded it. With used game sales, you can resell the games inifinitive times, but i think that it is pretty much impossible that one copy gets resold 1 million times in one week. Reselling requires people to buy the original to begin with, this isnt really the case with piracy, since there 1 copy is enough. If reselling should be big, many original copies are needed.

I would like to underline that even if something is downloaded 1 million times, this obviously doesnt mean 1 million lost sales. A lot of those people might never have bought the game in the first place, there might be some persons who have downloaded the same thing more than once etc. I just wanted to mention that there is some difference between used game sales and piracy eventhough that they can both lead to the same thing (that the publishers doesnt make money on it). I also have no idea what the biggest factor is for lost income for the publishers, piracy or used game sales, so i cant really comment much on that.

spwolf said:
no, it is a problem because Gamestop makes hundreds of millions in revenue from used game sales...

and a lot of this happens within first few weeks the games our out - they offer used new game for $5 discount and people buy them...

If you are buying used game for $50, you would have bought it new for $60 too.... do thats directly lost sale for the publishers.

And in fact, courts have ruled that it is legal for software publishers to ban resale of their software in their licenses...
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/09...ne-Doesnt-Apply-To-Licensed-Software?from=rss

And if a person would pay $50 for a game from Gamestop, they'd pay $50 for a game from me. A lost sale is not a crime. The game they're buying has been paid for. You got your money. It doesn't matter if they bought it used or borrowed it. That's absolutely none of your business.

You're saying I don't have the right to sell what I buy, and therefore don't own it. I know this is being tested in court, but at this moment, I do have the right to own games. If that right is taken from me, then I'll stop buying them...and bring on the revolution. Your product is not special, and as I said, you're a hypocrite.

If you want to sell me a service, you're going to have to offer a far better price than $60 a game.

test_account

XP-39C²
MrNyarlathotep said:
I'm a gamedev and got my break into the industry as a result of work I did with homebrew on the Dreamcast.
Cool =) May i asked what you made on the Dreamcast?

ZombieSupaStar said:
DAMN HACKER U SHOULD BE THROWN INTO THE GOULAG!

:)
Making homebrew for an already hacked system doesnt really have that much to do with the hacking of the console itself though :) I dont think that people will be sued if they only make some quite cool legitmate homebrew for the PS3 (or for what ever system for that matter) and not doing any hacking of the PS3 security system. Quite the oppisite i belive, maybe people then will be offered jobs instead, like MrNyarlathotep mentioned =) I am looking forward to see what homebrew that will come to PS3.

BoboBrazil said:
geohot is requesting help with his legal issues and he set up a new blog www.geohot.com
GeoHot said:
I have already racked up over 10k in legal bills; donate whatever you feel like
nurse_joker.jpg

"Its all part of the plan."

spwolf

Leondexter said:
And if a person would pay $50 for a game from Gamestop, they'd pay $50 for a game from me. A lost sale is not a crime. The game they're buying has been paid for. You got your money. It doesn't matter if they bought it used or borrowed it. That's absolutely none of your business.

You're saying I don't have the right to sell what I buy, and therefore don't own it. I know this is being tested in court, but at this moment, I do have the right to own games. If that right is taken from me, then I'll stop buying them...and bring on the revolution. Your product is not special, and as I said, you're a hypocrite.

If you want to sell me a service, you're going to have to offer a far better price than $60 a game.

those opinions were not my own, but what publishers think.. i have no idea what would be my position in this case...

right to resell games is not tested in court, what was tested is legality of software license that forbids resale. And courts ruled in favor, so as of 4 months ago it is illegal in fact to sell software (be it games or business software) which has license that forbids it.

I know it is a bit confusing, but essentially you are not buying the game or software, you are essentially buying the license to use it, according to court. You do not own the code, you own license.

I dont think game publishers would ever go after people selling games, as it is essentially small market compared to billion dollar used game market at retail... but again, they will not forbid resale of games at retail, because they depend on retail too much. i bet first game that ever does that will never reach the retail shelves.

so it is essentially lose-lose situation for them and moot point for discussion anyway.

Top Bottom