• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony given power to seize Geroge Hotz's computer, Twitter and Youtube request denied

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
FLEABttn said:
No, they aren't. They're being spent on fat models only. Hours spent on the fat hardware aren't the same as the hours being spent on the slim models. That OtherOS coincidently works on current slim models doesn't mean it will work on further Slim models, and it doesn't mean the firmware developer and QA gets to skip their due diligence. That costs time, which costs money. OtherOS coincidently working on the current Slim's also doesn't imply that the hypervisor driver necessarily works with the Slim's. That's another aspect of the firmware that has to be taken into consideration by both the firmware developer and the QA team.

At the moment, there isn't significant hardware differences between the Slim and the Fat's that would cause OtherOS functionality from working on a hardware level. That doesn't imply that it won't be the case in future Slim models. The Slim was Sony's chance at a clean break. Which is basically what they said:

Future versions of the Slim very well may be incompatible. But they were able to start saving in man hours in 2009 by cutting support for Slims.
Allow me to express my deep skepticism about yours and Sony's main claims above.

Firstly, breaking compatibility with the hypervisor implies breaking quite a few fundamental things in the platform - the hypervisor is not there for OtherOS sake alone - it provides protection against game exploits too. It's not like the hypervisor could be fundamentally altered or dropped altogether without severely jeopardizing the platform.

Secondly, breaking hw compatibility with the hypervisor implies new silicon revisions that differ substantially from the original silicon. Now that could be a costly move by Sony, particularly given they did not use an in-house CPU design. So the whole argument of breaking hw compatibility on a fundamental level such as the hypervisor for the sake of cost reductions is dubious, at best - the QA expenses from such a move could far outweigh the QA expenses from continuing to maintain the original hypervisor through the projected lifespan of the platform.

The only thing that stands solid in these arguments is that Sony can save from further R&D and QA costs associated with OtherOS. All other claims can be subject to Discovery motions in court.

Vinci

Danish
Massa said:
That's not the main issue, people can do whatever they want with their PS3 as long as they don't commit copyright infringement. Sony is going after people who shared knowledge and information about the PS3 that allows others to do as they please with their own PS3's.

And as others have pointed out, the sharing of information - in and of itself - is not often considered a crime, especially in cases in which the sharing of said information is not isolated to inflicting harm. Would you like to know how to build a bomb? I'm sure I can find plenty of websites that explain how.

Vinci

Danish
Ploid 3.0 said:
I doubt bomb recipes are all owned by a company.

But the result would be something that explicitly causes harm. Isn't that the basis by which this is a major concern for those defending Sony, that this information could cause harm to the company or the console users' experiences?

Ploid 3.0

Vinci said:
But the result would be something that explicitly causes harm. Isn't that the basis by which this is a major concern for those defending Sony, that this information could cause harm to the company or the console users' experiences?

So you want people looking up how to make bombs? You think that's cool? You'd like them to practice making them in your neighborhood? You're totally ok with that? I mean this is how you're thinking right now correct?

Now that is what people not cool with homebrew on PSN is feeling. Sure there are people that want to just study explosives for legit use (fireworks, mining, toothpaste spy stuff), but a few bad apples give bombs a bad name.

This is funz.

Vinci

Danish
Ploid 3.0 said:
So you want people looking up how to make bombs? You think that's cool? You'd like them to practice making them in your neighborhood? You're totally ok with that? I mean this is how you're thinking right now correct?

Not at all. But to give up consumer rights for the sake of possible harm to a corporation's bottom line is insane when I don't see people making a similar argument about information being shared that is almost unquestionably harmful.

Again: I have no problem with Sony hunting down and ripping to hell and back pirates, or shutting off PSN access from cheaters. That's well within their rights. But they should not have the right to go after people for sharing information that is neither innately positive nor negative, especially at the expense of consumer rights. That's giving them a level of power they don't deserve.

mclem

I'm not in the habit of quoting dead statesmen, but this strikes me as appropriate right around now:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

mclem said:
I'm not in the habit of quoting dead statesmen, but this strikes me as appropriate right around now:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Forget those douches in Egypt, the real revolution is happening right here! Give me Linux or give me death!

jaxword

mclem said:

We do not deserve liberty nor safety.

DonMigs85

mclem said:

It's a damn proprietary game console, not a country.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
DonMigs85 said:
It's a damn proprietary game console, not a country.

No, it's the consumer's rights to own the products they buy as opposed to the vendor still having complete control over what can be done with them.

linkboy

iapetus said:
No, it's the consumer's rights to own the products they buy as opposed to the vendor still having complete control over what can be done with them.

Exactly, if (when) Sony wins this case, its going to set one hell of a legal precedence. I can guarentee you that if (when) Sony wins, the following will happen

Apple (and probably Motorola) will use this case as a legal precedence to try to get the jailbreaking DMCA exception overturned.

Mithos

Well, if Sony Microsoft, Nintendo charges me sub $99 for their next generation consoles, then MAYBE, just maybe they can decide what i can and can not do on the console ^^

Neah not really, but you get the point, the less power i get over my console the less cash they deserve for it.

FLEABttn

Banned
iapetus said:

They don't have complete control. It's a little disingenuous to say Sony does.

mclem

Mithos said:
Well, if Sony Microsoft, Nintendo charges me sub $99 for their next generation consoles, then MAYBE, just maybe they can decide what i can and can not do on the console ^^

Neah not really, but you get the point, the less power i get over my console the less cash they deserve for it.

Oooh. A $100 version, which requires you to sign a contract that you won't modify it, or a $600 which is free to use. That'd be fun :)

FLEABttn said:

Fair point, surely? Region free gaming, non-proprietary HDD upgrades, support for all USB controllers via generic HID driver and use of Bluetooth for wireless controllers... these are not measures designed to bring "complete control".

polyh3dron said:

Funny thing about Tengen, EA(?), Color Dreams, and Wisdom Tree, not a single one of them were sued into oblivion by Nintendo and/or Sega (although Tengen did have some court battles with Nintendo, first over copyright and patent infringement, which they settled out of court, and over Tengen Tetris, which Tengen were forced to recall) . In fact, Wisdom Tree recently released a new game on PC called Heaven Bound. Hell, even the creator of that abysmal pile of dreck Action 52 was still in existance in some form last I checked.

Datschge

Mithos said:
But without the extra monthly fees for 12, 18 or 24 months.
The fees come through Xbox Live Gold, PSN+ and the likes anyway, that can be easily combined for a more "friendly" package.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
FLEABttn said:

It's foolish to suggest that this case coming down on Sony's side isn't at least heading in that direction. When they're saying you can't use the hardware as you see fit, that they have the right to remove functionality they sold you, and that they have the right to arbitrarily execute code that does anything they like on your device, how much more do you want?

fart town usa said:
. . . the ps3 is the only console ever to be blown this wide open.
hmmm. . . i'm not feeling it.

I never put any hopes in the potential of the PS3 either as blowing the competition out off the water or as the new xbox 1 with the firmware updates and so forth from Sony. In theory I guess the PS3 was blown wide open, but there wasn't enough time for any good software to make use of it.

I liked all the claims of "resigning apps to think whatever they are, Sony are fucked and can't do anything about it", but I didn't get my hopes up for that either.

iapetus said:
But we let things like the Patriot Act get passed through the House...again. (happened yesterday IIRC).

Priorities are great.

Safe Bet

Banned
iapetus said:
No, it's the right to offer a "closed platform" to the market.

Massa

Vinci said:
And as others have pointed out, the sharing of information - in and of itself - is not often considered a crime, especially in cases in which the sharing of said information is not isolated to inflicting harm. Would you like to know how to build a bomb? I'm sure I can find plenty of websites that explain how.

Of course sharing information is often not a crime - it's called free speech.

It's sometimes considered a crime, such as when it comes to information about circumventing copyright protections in ways that allow for copyright violations. The law that made that a crime is that DMCA.

FLEABttn

Banned
iapetus said:
It's foolish to suggest that this case coming down on Sony's side isn't at least heading in that direction. When they're saying you can't use the hardware as you see fit, that they have the right to remove functionality they sold you, and that they have the right to arbitrarily execute code that does anything they like on your device, how much more do you want?

Complete control. As in 100%, fully encompassing.

I don't have a problem with what you're getting at, but they have and want "significant" or "overwhelming" control. They literally don't have "complete" control, nor are they still likely to from this ruling if it goes their way.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Safe Bet said:
A closed platform is not exempt from fair use principles. A closed platform means you cannot sell content/use the orthodox distribution channels without preathorisation from the platform holder, not that you cannot get your homebrew on the device.

Mithos

Datschge said:
The fees come through Xbox Live Gold, PSN+ and the likes anyway, that can be easily combined for a more "friendly" package.

I see any subscription fees as a payment plan aka, its added to the pay-up front cost for me.
So console for $99 and subscription contract for 24 month/cost = total cost.

So it's no longer the $99 I was willing to pay for it.

iapetus said:

I'm under the impression that this particular case is about consumers not having the right to reverse-engineer private encryption keys and post them on the internet under the provisions of the DMCA (I think that they will probably win). There is another case concerning whether or not they have the right to remove OtherOS (I think they will probably lose). As for the right to "arbitrarily execute code that does anything they like on your device", if they ever actually used their remote console killswitch capability I would expect them to be hauled back into court again (I think they would lose that one too).

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Safe Bet said:
Which does not take away the consumer's right to fair use, which is using things the manufacturer did not approve.

Massa said:
Of course sharing information is often not a crime - it's called free speech.

It's sometimes considered a crime, such as when it comes to information about circumventing copyright protections in ways that allow for copyright violations. The law that made that a crime is that DMCA.
The DMCA also allows for fair use. As long as something is fair use, telling others how to get their fair use is free speech.

BritBloke916 said:
I'm under the impression that this particular case is about consumers not having the right to reverse-engineer private encryption keys and post them on the internet under the provisions of the DMCA (I think that they will probably win). There is another case concerning whether or not they have the right to remove OtherOS (I think they will probably lose). As for the right to "arbitrarily execute code that does anything they like on your device", if they ever actually used their remote console killswitch capability I would expect them to be hauled back into court again (I think they would lose that one too).
Sony will probably win against Hotz only because there is no fair use exemption for consoles as there is for phones. For example, had Apple completed a court case before the exemption was created for phones, they would have won. Not because jailbreaking isn't fair use as we understand it now, but because courts do not rule on right or wrong, merely what the law says at that time. One would have to directly challenge the law at hand and whether the law itself does not overreach, is too broad, or downright illegal itself.

My point of argument remains, the DMCA has shown to be flawed and step on rights several times now. Just because it technically says what Hotz has done might be wrong, does not mean it should be that way. It also said jailbreaking phones was wrong. In order for people to jailbreak phones, not only did they have to circumvent protections, but they even disclosed what they found and how they did it (no different than fail0verflow has done or Hotz).

test_account

XP-39C²
Out of curiousity, who decides what fair use is or not when it comes to exceptions in the DMCA? Couldnt even piracy be concidered as fair use if you only download the movie/game/music etc. if you own the original (especially if the original disc get scratched up so it does no longer work)? Or making key generators for programs and tell people only to use it if they have lost their original key? Who decides these things and how do they make such a decition?

komojo

Neo Member
Ploid 3.0 said:

Yes.

I'm much less worried about people learning how to make bombs than the government deciding what information is appropriate for me to have access to.

(FWIW, I'm a game developer and my games have been pirated, and I still think Sony is in the wrong here.)

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
test_account said:
Out of curiousity, who decides what fair use is or not? Couldnt even piracy be concidered as fair use if you only download the movie/game/music etc. if you own the original? Or making key generators for programs and tell people only to use it if they have lost their original key? Who decides these things and how do they make such a decition?

In America, it is a balance between the three branches. Congress drafts the laws that define fair use. The executive branch sets regulations that provide guidance and clarification on how to abide by Congress' laws. The judiciary then (1) rules on the constitutionality of the laws and regulations and (2) ultimately rules if a specific use should be considered a fair use under those laws and regulations. If Congress disagrees with a particular result reached by the judiciary (or with a regulation issued by the executive), the process starts again at the top.

komojo said:
Yes.

I'm much less worried about people learning how to make bombs than the government deciding what information is appropriate for me to have access to.

(FWIW, I'm a game developer and my games have been pirated, and I still think Sony is in the wrong here.)
"saves post"

For those who ask us to think about the developers regarding homebrew and jailbreaking, here is one person among many who thinks it should be allowed.

squatingyeti said:
because courts do not rule on right or wrong, merely what the law says at that time. One would have to directly challenge the law at hand and whether the law itself does not overreach, is too broad, or downright illegal itself.

That's actually exactly what courts rule on.

Laws don't actually exist until they have been tested in court and precedents have been set, and the reason lawyers exist is to interpret laws and precedents to create the social contract that we think of as laws.

The 'letter of the law' might be clearcut, but nobody respects the letter of the law - it is the 'spirit of the law' that courts dwell on, and judges can (and do) amend laws through their findings all the time.

Even pretty universally obvious and socially accepted laws (you shouldn't kill people, you shouldn't steal) can be ignored if mitigating circumstances are found to be sufficient.

test_account

XP-39C²
mre said:
In America, it is a balance between the three branches. Congress drafts the laws that define fair use. The executive branch sets regulations that provide guidance and clarification on how to abide by Congress' laws. The judiciary then (1) rules on the constitutionality of the laws and regulations and (2) ultimately rules if a specific use should be considered a fair use under those laws and regulations. If Congress disagrees with a particular result reached by the judiciary (or with a regulation issued by the executive), the process starts again at the top.
Ok, i see, thanks :) So basically it comes down to what the personal opinions of the people who make these laws regarding how they feel about if something should be defined as fair use or not? Like some of them might say "some of the usage is fair use, but by allowing it, it can lead to much abuse, so we wont make an exception to fair use" while others might say "some of the usage is fair use, so we will allow it"?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
MrNyarlathotep said:
That's actually exactly what courts rule on.

Laws don't actually exist until they have been tested in court and precedents have been set, and the reason lawyers exist is to interpret laws and precedents to create the social contract that we think of as laws.

The 'letter of the law' might be clearcut, but nobody respects the letter of the law - it is the 'spirit of the law' that courts dwell on, and judges can (and do) amend laws through their findings all the time.

Even pretty universally obvious and socially accepted laws (you shouldn't kill people, you shouldn't steal) can be ignored if mitigating circumstances are found to be sufficient.

Like I said in what you quoted, they must challenge the portion of the law or the law itself. Also, it seems the Library of Congress sort of agrees that the DMCA will crush anyone in court, even if they challenge it, without the LoC providing an exemption. They explained this in the smartphone exemption.

test_account said:
Ok, i see, thanks :) So basically it comes down to what the personal opinions of the people who make these laws regarding how they feel about if something should be defined as fair use or not? Like some of them might say "some of the usage is fair use, but by allowing it, it can lead to much abuse, so we wont make an exception to fair use" while others might say "some of the usage is fair use, so we will allow it"?
Actually, they've created 4 pillars (iirc) on what constitutes fair use. The LoC went through each one with the phone exemption and explained how jailbreaking phones, despite circumventing protections and despite telling others how to do it, was fair use.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
test_account said:
Ok, i see, thanks :) So basically it comes down to what the personal opinions of the people who make these laws regarding how they feel about if something should be defined as fair use or not?

In theory, yes. In actuality you run into issues with vagueness, ambiguity, and the inherent restriction of using language to completely express an idea. These issues (and others) allow wiggle room for different interpretations of the written laws,regulations, and judicial opinions, which leads to litigation and the cycle beginning again.

mclem

squatingyeti said:
Like I said in what you quoted, they must challenge the portion of the law or the law itself. Also, it seems the Library of Congress sort of agrees that the DMCA will crush anyone in court, even if they challenge it, without the LoC providing an exemption. They explained this in the smartphone exemption.

Out of interest, what is the wording of the 'smartphone exemption', anyway? Is the requirement to make phone calls (which, let's be honest, doesn't seem particularly relevant to the issue of the exemption itself) part of it?

It strikes me that the only reason the 'smartphone exemption' shouldn't apply is because a PS3 is not a smartphone. Which raises the question of *why* the exemption was written to be so specific.

mclem

Safe Bet said:

They have every right to offer a "closed platform" to the market. They just haven't *managed* to yet.

Zoe

mclem said:
Out of interest, what is the wording of the 'smartphone exemption', anyway? Is the requirement to make phone calls (which, let's be honest, doesn't seem particularly relevant to the issue of the exemption itself) part of it?

It strikes me that the only reason the 'smartphone exemption' shouldn't apply is because a PS3 is not a smartphone. Which raises the question of *why* the exemption was written to be so specific.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34898232/2010-DMCA-Exemption-Announcement

The exemptions are always written to be very specific.

mclem

Zoe said:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/34898232/2010-DMCA-Exemption-Announcement

The exemptions are always written to be very specific.

I've only skimmed it, but it does read like the same EFF arguments would apply to this situation. Indeed, through skimming, I didn't see anything there where the actual *phone* behaviour was relevant to the argument. It reads for all the world that the only reason it applies to smartphones alone is that they wrote that it applies to smartphones.

Not, I'm sure, that that's all that helpful, but it does look rather short-sighted when they originally wrote it.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
mclem said:
I've only skimmed it, but it does read like the same EFF arguments would apply to this situation. Indeed, through skimming, I didn't see anything there where the actual *phone* behaviour was relevant to the argument. It reads for all the world that the only reason it applies to smartphones alone is that they wrote that it applies to smartphones.

Not, I'm sure, that that's all that helpful, but it does look rather short-sighted when they originally wrote it.

The actual *phone* behavior wasn't really the issue the EFF brought up at all. This is the best statement from the exemption that can be compared to what we have here:

DMCA Exemption said:
The fact that the person engaging in jailbreaking is doing so in order to use Apple's firmware on the device that it was designed to operate, which the jailbreaker owns, and to use it for precisely the purpose for which it was designed (but for the fact that it has been modified to run applications not approved by Apple) favors finding that the purpose and character of the use is innocuous at worst and beneficial at best.

Simply replace Apple with Sony and there is absolutely no fundamental difference between jailbreaking a phone and jailbreaking a PS3. As much as people try to argue, BOTH systems are closed systems.

mclem

While this is true, the fact is that what the law says says 'phone', and unless you can convince the judge that the PS3 is a phone, that might be a problem :)

(I'm assuming that, strictly speaking, merely convincing the judge that the PS3 is *equivalent* to a phone as far as the law is concerned is insufficient)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
BritBloke916 said:
I'm under the impression that this particular case is about consumers not having the right to reverse-engineer private encryption keys and post them on the internet under the provisions of the DMCA (I think that they will probably win).

It's related, in that part of the defence is likely to be that the purpose for cracking the system was not circumventing protection mechanisms, but restoring functionality that had been unreasonably removed.

Top Bottom