• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony given power to seize Geroge Hotz's computer, Twitter and Youtube request denied

lupinko

ZZMitch said:
Can't he just fuck up his HDD somehow and say it randomly died?

I mean HDDs do have a tendency to do that...

Well he could do that, but you know that's also evidence tampering, which is pretty bad.

Datschge

It's a faceless anonymous multi-national corporation against an individual. That videos is just one way to show how powerless in a non-human way an entity like a corporation really is against a human.

Afrikan

-Pyromaniac- said:
it tells you something when GAF is more doom and gloom than the dude actually going through it, lol.

again that look he gave at the end was pretty telling, imo.

if he walked up to me and pointed at my chest "I GET MORE PUSSY THAN YOU AF!!" and gave that same smirk, I'd believe him. Can someone GIF that last part?

unique individual, this GeoHot is.

apana

lol at that video. If this issue wasn't so important, this would normally be the part where I switch sides.

thanks to sony for being jerks about this whole thing

thanks to this thread for populating my ignore list with "Rah Rah Sony, Down with corporate rights" posters

OldJadedGamer said:
Again, for the millionth time... the information on his computer wasn't always considered evidence and he could have deleted it at any time before.
I'm pretty sure destroying evidence of a crime is always a crime, even if the authorities don't have any reason to suspect a crime has occurred.

Tellaerin

SonOfABeep said:
thanks to sony for being jerks about this whole thing

thanks to this thread for populating my ignore list with "Rah Rah Sony, Down with corporate rights" posters

So when anyone disagrees with you, the answer is to ignore them and try to pretend they don't exist? :p

This isn't directed at you personally - you're not the first person to say something like this, just the most recent. But I've been seeing people say stuff like this a lot lately, particularly in the geohot-related threads. Personally, I'd love to see the ignore list here eliminated altogether. (In my perfect world, they'd get rid of that and bring back search, too. :p ) I don't keep anyone here on ignore - regardless of whether or not I agree with someone's opinions, or whether or not they consistently annoy the fuck out of me, they might still have something interesting to say. Who wants to live in a fake little bubble of reality where anyone who doesn't agree with you is auto-muted?

</mini_rant>

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled debate.

-PXG-

Some folks celebrating a big coporation seizing personal property and invading an individual's privacy...

Ya'll are fucking crazy.

Ploid 3.0

It's not some soccer mom that happen to be a genius at computers which made a custom playstation 3 firmware from scratch for her son. This guy knew the risk of making certain things public. He probably wants this attention.

faceless007 said:
I'm pretty sure destroying evidence of a crime is always a crime, even if the authorities don't have any reason to suspect a crime has occurred.

We still haven't concluded in a court of law if it was a crime or not. His defense is that he was just messing around with his own personal property. He did the same on the iPhone and it wasn't considered a crime.

-PXG-

OldJadedGamer said:
We still haven't concluded in a court of law if it was a crime or not. His defense is that he was just messing around with his own personal property. He did the same on the iPhone and it wasn't considered a crime.

$10 if Geohot wiped his drives, reinstalled windows, and put a big middle finger as his wallpaper.

DonMigs85

Ploid 3.0 said:
It's not some soccer mom that happen to be a genius at computers which made a custom playstation 3 firmware from scratch for her son. This guy knew the risk of making certain things public. He probably wants this attention.
Yep. If I had his skillz I would've just kept it to myself or a tight circle of trusted friends - not let everyone else mooch off my work.

Tellaerin said:
So when anyone disagrees with you, the answer is to ignore them and try to pretend they don't exist? :p

This isn't directed at you personally - you're not the first person to say something like this, just the most recent. But I've been seeing people say stuff like this a lot lately, particularly in the geohot-related threads. Personally, I'd love to see the ignore list here eliminated altogether. (In my perfect world, they'd get rid of that and bring back search, too. :p ) I don't keep anyone here on ignore - regardless of whether or not I agree with someone's opinions, or whether or not they consistently annoy the fuck out of me, they might still have something interesting to say. Who wants to live in a fake little bubble of reality where anyone who doesn't agree with you is auto-muted?

</mini_rant>

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled debate.

I only use this function when people say batshit crazy things to troll. Note how few of these "geohot deserves to be punished" guys have returned to have any kind of intelligent discussion. They made their insane point and left. I feel they have little to nothing to contribute to discussions and would rather not see their posts.

It's not about people disagreeing with me it's about not having to read troll posts.

If you want to discuss how Sony is in the right for doing what they're doing, i'm all for that. If you want to discuss how this strategy is appropriate and how it's benefiting Sony and their customers, I'm all for that.

If you want to post "cut off geohots balls he hurt my SONY" then GTFO

ON TOPIC: what is sony hoping to find on his hard drives? that he somehow distributed his copyrighted information with the jailbreak or something? I thought the jailbreak process required you to download the 3.55 update from sony to work alongside the jailbreak files.. seems like he would have nothing to hide.

apana said:
lol at that video. If this issue wasn't so important, this would normally be the part where I switch sides.

I have a feeling he'll regret that video. Sony isn't going to let this go anytime soon, I think they've proved they are in this for the long haul.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
OldJadedGamer said:
Again, for the millionth time... the information on his computer wasn't always considered evidence and he could have deleted it at any time before.

Well, for the millionth time, I suppose, you are wrong. Once litigation became reasonably foreseeable he had a duty to preserve evidence that might be requested in said litigation. There is no firmly established guideline for when, exactly, litigation might become reasonably foreseeable (this is generally a matter for the judge to decide), but once he received the first letter from Sony threatening litigation, it is likely that the time for digitally shredding his evidence had passed.

Of course he could have deleted the files prior to this blurry point in which litigation became reasonably foreseeable, and I'm not saying otherwise. This is where completely reading a post becomes important. The post I was responding to, and quoted, clearly stated "so what if he destroys/hides his computer?" As in, what if he were to do so from this point forward. So take your exasperated exaggeration elsewhere.

ShortBus

TheChillyAcademic said:
I have a feeling he'll regret that video. Sony isn't going to let this go anytime soon, I think they've proved they are in this for the long haul.

I hope so.

Buying a piece of hardware doesn't give you the right to hack it.

Ploid 3.0

None of his real life classmates would notice him if he went by some random cool sounding word and became famous and known for that name.

ShortBus said:
I hope so.

fuck that, hack it.

Cry some more Sony. They need to knocked down a few pegs, and humbled in the old country way.

Keikoku said:
Most of them are 12-18 years old, you can't blame them

so basically the forbidden toy paradigm, is making them butthurt over all this. I can see that.

Keikoku

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
I only use this function when people say batshit crazy things to troll. Note how few of these "geohot deserves to be punished" guys have returned to have any kind of intelligent discussion. They made their insane point and left. I feel they have little to nothing to contribute to discussions and would rather not see their posts.

It's not about people disagreeing with me it's about not having to read troll posts.

If you want to discuss how Sony is in the right for doing what they're doing, i'm all for that. If you want to discuss how this strategy is appropriate and how it's benefiting Sony and their customers, I'm all for that.

If you want to post "cut off geohots balls he hurt my SONY" then GTFO

ON TOPIC: what is sony hoping to find on his hard drives? that he somehow distributed his copyrighted information with the jailbreak or something? I thought the jailbreak process required you to download the 3.55 update from sony to work alongside the jailbreak files.. seems like he would have nothing to hide.

Most of them are 12-18 years old, you can't blame them

-PXG-

ShortBus said:
I hope so.

Bullshit!

Guess I can't change the tires on my car. Guess I can't install a new kitchen in my house. Guess I can't put more RAM in my computer...

Let's NOT go down this road.

If Sony wants to control what goes on PSN, fine. They have every single right to do that. I understand they don't want people potentially hacking games, PS Store and causing all sorts of problems. But as long as folks are not doing anything malicious, pirating games or making a profit off someone else's property, they are entitled to do whatever the hell I want. Play games, play music, hack it, burn it, shred it to pieces or piss on it, it should not matter to Sony at all.

EDIT

Basically, I should be allowed to do whatever the hell I want, with what I bought, offline, in the privacy of my own home. If Sony (or any company), wants to control that, they can fuck right off.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
-Pyromaniac- said:
it tells you something when GAF is more doom and gloom than the dude actually going through it, lol.
The dude going through it has the maturity of a teenager, so I'm not sure what surprizes you in that case.

Sony want to basically set a precedent that stops hacking through means of personal harassment. The fact their target is not showing much signs of feeling harassed does not mean they could not succeed eventually.

-PXG-

It really scares me that there are people, smart, seemingly reasonable people, on this site, that are so willing to let a big, multibillion, international corporation tell them what the can and cannot do. So willing to side with a company that...does not give a single rat's ass about you....only has it's one agendas and interests in mind.

I'll say it again...some of your are bat shit crazy. I don't know how some of you live, whether you just don't give a fuck or letting big ass companies have so much influence on how you think and what you do. It boggles my mind. It's one thing to support a company by purchasing their products because they're good. But it's completely different when you have blind devotion and defend them, when you get absolutely nothing in return. It's even worse when that company commits sever hubris and is clearly over stepping their boundaries

x3sphere

TheChillyAcademic said:

I think it's a great move, it'll garner more publicity and raise awareness.

blu said:
The dude going through it has the maturity of a teenager, so I'm not sure what surprizes you in that case.

Right, because anyone making light of a serious situation has the maturity of a teenager.

ShortBus said:
Psssst!,stay out of Gaming...

i have a 360, wii, ds, and a gaming pc also.

It was a mistake I know Ive probably put 100 hours into pc gaming for every 1 into console gaming this gen, but still I wouldn't cheerlead Microsoft (who actively try and fuck over pc gamers nowadays). A Closed system / Walled Garden sucks. The less the better!

ShortBus said:

Do you think sony should be able to sue the people that buy PS3's and then smash them with a hammer in youtube videos?

DonMigs85

I definitely think Sony went too far, but then again Hotz's actions COULD have a significant negative effect on their software royalty earnings for the next couple years at least. Hotz should have just left well enough alone, since future software releases, sales, online play, etc could get messed up. He's sorta like the Tengen of a new era.

iceatcs

Now I don't mind Sony do whatever on geohotz. That rap video change my mind a lot.
I'm agree with overfl0w.

ShortBus said:
I hope so.

Well that's essentially the question here, isn't it?

My opinion is yes, you should be able to. They should be able to ban you from online features, updates, etc.

But it absolutely should not be illegal. Leave this shit up to the companies, why does the government have to get involved beyond piracy/theft?

DonMigs85

timetokill said:
Do you think sony should be able to sue the people that buy PS3's and then smash them with a hammer in youtube videos?
You can do whatever you want to the tangible machine, but Sony still holds the rights to the firmware/OS.
Nothing's stopping you from hacking that in secret, but don't broadcast it to the world if you wanna stay comfortable.

blu said:

Sony want to basically set a precedent that stops hacking through means of personal harassment. The fact their target is not showing much signs of feeling harassed does not mean they could not succeed eventually.

I have this sneaking suspicion that even if successful this won't deter hackers one bit.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
DonMigs85 said:
I definitely think Sony went too far, but then again Hotz's actions COULD have a significant negative effect on their software royalty earnings for the next couple years at least. Hotz should have just left well enough alone, since future software releases, sales, online play, etc could get messed up. He's sorta like the Tengen of a new era.

Hotz's biggest fuck up was being American.

Massa

SonOfABeep said:
Well that's essentially the question here, isn't it?

My opinion is yes, you should be able to. They should be able to ban you from online features, updates, etc.

But it absolutely should not be illegal. Leave this shit up to the companies, why does the government have to get involved beyond piracy/theft?

The problem is that the US government already got involved, and created the DMCA.

Sony's also (at least so far) suing people who distributed work that allowed their copy protection to be circumvented. They're not suing people who modify their legally purchased console, there's a big difference there.

-PXG-

DonMigs85 said:
You can do whatever you want to the tangible machine, but Sony still holds the rights to the firmware/OS.

So, Sony ONLY has rights to the software, not the hardware? That doesn't make ANY sense.

EDIT

Saw your edit. As long as you don't make it public and don't go online, honestly, who gives a shit?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
x3sphere said:
Right, because anyone making light of a serious situation has the maturity of a teenager.
In the case of Geohotz - most definitely. Guy is intelligent, but his ego far oureaches his intelligence, which is typical for teens. Actually, Sony must be feeling darn lucky for having him as the defendant, and not some other hacker who has reached mental adulthood.

Shambles

mre said:
Hotz's biggest fuck up was being American.
This. The only country in the world where Sony could think they could pull this bullshit off. Oh well my PS3 is likely the last Sony console I'll have bought before all this happened, this is just the icing on the cake.

-PXG-

Whether I want to hack my PS3 because I'm bored, and install OFW after I'm done or backup (not pirate) 100 games, Sony shouldn't give me any trouble. As long as I

1) Don't pirate
2) Don't go online

They shouldn't care AT ALL.

And when it comes to fighthing piracy, let's be honest: The battle is already lost. You don't win by adding DRM and making things inconvenient for legit users. Adding value to your product and giving potential customers incentives, lower/ competitive pricing, flexibility and more freedom (with some semblance of control) is how you stop folks from hacking and/ or stealing your shit. It's that simple. Why add (or take away) things that are only going to piss people off and give them more reasons to acquire your product through unscrupulous means?

Massa

Shambles said:
This. The only country in the world where Sony could think they could pull this bullshit off. Oh well my PS3 is likely the last Sony console I'll have bought before all this happened, this is just the icing on the cake.

If you stop supporting companies that sue for DMCA (which I applaud, honestly) you're pretty limited as far as gaming is concerned.

Massa said:
The problem is that the US government already got involved, and created the DMCA.

Sony's also (at least so far) suing people who distributed work that allowed their copy protection to be circumvented. They're not suing people who modify their legally purchased console, there's a big difference there.

The government did get involved but there's also precedent for exceptions to be made.

I thought geohot specifically did not allow backups in his CFW? that stuff was enabled later by other hackers. They are probably included in the case as well.

At the same time there's no guarantee that anyone using multiman or something isn't just using it to salvage a system with a dead blu-ray drive or using it to store their games on the hard drive.

Hey, maybe instead of spending all this money chasing after the hackers why not implement legit game installation features like your competition did long ago?

Massa

-PXG- said:
Whether I want to hack my PS3 because I'm bored, and install OFW after I'm done or backup (not pirate) 100 games, Sony shouldn't care. As long as I

1) Don't pirate
2) Don't go online

They shouldn't care AT ALL.

And when it comes to fighthing piracy, let's be honest: The battle is already lost. You don't win by adding DRM and making things inconvenient for legit users. Adding value to your product and giving potential customers incentive and more freedom (with some semblance of control) is how you stop folks from hacking and/ or stealing your shit. It's that simple.

Sony is not suing YOU. They're suing people who not only modified their PS3's, but made the tools and software available so that others could modify their PS3's. You did not violate the DMCA but these people, according to Sony, did.

Top Bottom