• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony given power to seize Geroge Hotz's computer, Twitter and Youtube request denied

chrislowe

Ploid 3.0 said:
When movies are on tv they are already done with the customer profit model. Tv commercials and subscriptions pay those movie companies. Camcorder in movie theater is a better fit.

so if a movie is like 10 years old, its ok to make it to a torrent then?.. cause the customer profit model?.

Ploid 3.0

chrislowe said:
so if a movie is like 10 years old, its ok to make it to a torrent then?.. cause the customer profit model?.

Nope, I didn't say putting things on the internet was a good idea. I just made a better example for what was in the quote. Something that the movie group would really hate (they'd lose money on directly). With tivo recording tv shows is common, so that isn't a problem. Mass producing copies, or putting them on the net for people to download.

You know what? If you tivo'd a episode of Ellen and made copies for your sister and brother you wouldn't get in trouble. Like if Geohotz hacked the ps3 and hacked his sister and brother's as well.

Yagharek

chrislowe said:

Weak strawman.

He didnt say that. Just that after a film is >10 years old, its not going to be raking in big dollars thanks to dvd sales.

If youre going to debate with someone, dont be disingenuous and misrepresent their posts.

ananag said:
George Hotz gets back at Sony...by rapping about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUvuaChDEg
SGjp6.gif

Woo-Fu

Banned
Pureauthor said:
At the end of the day, the question boils down to 'Do you think it's okay to distribute something you know will be used for illegitimate purposes if at the same time there are entirely valid uses for that something?'

I say 'Yes'.

Maybe we'll get a mandatory waiting period for CFW, just like handguns. :p

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Aaaaand once again, its the Geohot show :(

I feel so bad for failoverflow and the rest of the real hacking community that they are getting dragged down by this clown's quest for fame.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
-viper- said:
Audi aren't losing money when you modify your car. Neither are Motorola.

Sony's business is based on consumers buying games. If everyone finds out about CFW and pirates their games, what business is there for them?

You STILL have to buy both to do it. Sony is NOT losing money on the firmware, which is exactly the same as the phone situation. Firmware is provided for free. The argument that piracy could happen is no different than phones. Piracy could happen with phones, but people keep acting like it's a non-issue there and a huge issue here.

You cannot get CFW without purchasing a PS3. Sony is not harmed here. Firmware is provided for free and this has been established by the DMCA, law, and the phone exemption. Therefore Sony is not harmed by any change in value to the firmware because of jailbreaking. One cannot argue that Sony could be harmed while ignoring Apple could also be harmed.

Show me the fundamental difference between the PS3 and this:
The fact that the person engaging in jailbreaking is doing so in order to use Apple's firmware on the device that it was designed to operate, which the jailbreaker owns, and to use it for precisely the purpose for which it was designed (but for the fact that it has been modified to run applications not approved by Apple) favors finding that the purpose and character of the use is innocuous at worst and beneficial at best.

Stop saying piracy could happen as Sony fought for your consumer rights in the past when piracy could happen because your rights outweigh something that could happen. Furthermore, piracy could happen with phones too and that means nothing.

atomsk

Party Pooper
ananag said:
George Hotz gets back at Sony...by rapping about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUvuaChDEg

About a week ago I thought to myself that if anyone put up a song about this whole debacle, it would probably get a ton of hits and get posted on a decent amount of video game blogs/news sites, etc. I also decided against doing it myself because I really don't need to get sued right now (I would've incorporated the master key into the actual track)

While I figured someone else would step up and make a track, I never imagined it would have been geohot himself. BALLS OF STEEL

The lawyers will have a field day with this

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Also, being a dumbshit as he may be doing, still does not take away what I see as a consumer's right to fair use of a product they own.

It keeps being ignored that Sony is suing fail0verflow as well. They did not release the keys, but merely said how they figured it out. I suppose you all want it to be illegal to merely explain something now as well? Can't wait for everyone that released tutorials on breaking WEP to get sued next!

dacuk

canova said:
The majority of us actually are not on Hotz side, or don't actually care. And yes we want PSN to remain intact, and if punishing Hotz may deter other would-be perpetrators, then I say to Sony go for it

I would like to see your poll results to determine which side the majority is in.

-PXG-

squatingyeti said:
You STILL have to buy both to do it. Sony is NOT losing money on the firmware, which is exactly the same as the phone situation. Firmware is provided for free. The argument that piracy could happen is no different than phones. Piracy could happen with phones, but people keep acting like it's a non-issue there and a huge issue here.

You cannot get CFW without purchasing a PS3. Sony is not harmed here. Firmware is provided for free and this has been established by the DMCA, law, and the phone exemption. Therefore Sony is not harmed by any change in value to the firmware because of jailbreaking. One cannot argue that Sony could be harmed while ignoring Apple could also be harmed.

Stop saying piracy could happen as Sony fought for your consumer rights in the past when piracy could happen because your rights outweigh something that could happen. Furthermore, piracy could happen with phones too and that means nothing.

Just like I could use a car to run someone over. I could buy a knife and stab someone with it. I could buy a condom use it while I rape someone. You can't blame/ sue Geohot for the side effects of CFW. The only thing you can blame him for is distributing modified software over the internet.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
DangerousDave said:
What an attention whore.

BTW, is legal in US to leak the codes of smartcards to be able to see payment channels for free?

Pretty sure it is, and that wouldn't really fall under fair use as the only purpose is illegal. There's a difference where something illegal could take place (in which case you should prosecute those doing such!) vs the sole purpose is to facilitate illegal activity.

YYZ

I don't understand some people's arguments about custom firmware being used just for piracy when there's a giant PSP CFW thread telling you how to do everything. If someone asked me how to play pirated games on their PSP, I would point them directly to the fucking NeoGAF thread. No, it's not called "How to play games for free on your PSP", but let's put two and two together.

And we seem to be arguing on the premise that hardware hacks are some kind of preventable phenomena. History has shown us that the opposite is true.

[I had a gun analogy here, but didn't want to open up that can of worms]

I see this as innovation. All this shit is stifling innovation and it's sad. The companies just want to keep all their control when it's human nature to keep innovating on what's been done.

spwolf

squatingyeti said:

phone exemption, phone exemption, phone exemption.... PS3 is not an phone, exemption does not apply here... get it inside your head. He is being sued for violating DMCA and suit was accepted... once again, exception does not apply here. it is moot point to talk about it and mention it all the time.

there is an reason they granted exception for phones only... they published 250 page long rulling on why is that. it is specific to phones.

squatingyeti said:
Pretty sure it is, and that wouldn't really fall under fair use as the only purpose is illegal. There's a difference where something illegal could take place (in which case you should prosecute those doing such!) vs the sole purpose is to facilitate illegal activity.

Not really, you can use it only to watch the channels that you already pay in other TVs or houses, or even as a backup card if you lose or damage your original card.

Are you saying that anyone that uses smartcards codes are pirates??? :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Facepalm at Gaffers taking that video so seriously.

Pathetic? Revolution? Y'all just got trolled by Geohot if you thought that was some "I have a dream" shit he put up there. Yes, he is a huge dick and an attention whore, (news. at. fucking. 11.) but that video doesn't show his inflated ego, it just shows him sticking it for Sony not being able to take his YT/Twitter.

C'mon fam, it's just a video.

enzo_gt said:

Pathetic? Revolution? Y'all just got trolled by Geohot if you thought that was some "I have a dream" shit he put up there. Yes, he is a huge dick and an attention whore, (news. at. fucking. 11.) but that video doesn't show his inflated ego, it just shows him sticking it for Sony not being able to take his YT/Twitter.

Seriously. The video was fucking hilarious!

Massa

squatingyeti said:
Also, being a dumbshit as he may be doing, still does not take away what I see as a consumer's right to fair use of a product they own.

It keeps being ignored that Sony is suing fail0verflow as well. They did not release the keys, but merely said how they figured it out. I suppose you all want it to be illegal to merely explain something now as well? Can't wait for everyone that released tutorials on breaking WEP to get sued next!

The issue is not about consumer's being able to use a product they own, it's about people being able to tell others how to circumvent a copyright protection scheme in ways that allow a copyright violation to happen.

This is not legal in the US. The DMCA was created specifically to make this kind of free speech illegal.

Ploid 3.0

enzo_gt said:

Just a video that has geo threatening sony.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Just a video that has geo threatening sony.
That video was about as threatening as a newborn kitten. The whole thing was a joke. Anyone who thinks otherwise should probably put their head through a wall.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
dope4goldrope said:
That video was about as threatening as a newborn kitten. The whole thing was a joke. Anyone who thinks otherwise should probably put their head through a wall.
Pretty much. Threatening sony? Massive LOL. Might as well throw him in jail already for premeditated murder using that logic.

DarknessTear said:
Aren't jokes supposed to be funny? It wasn't even clever.
It wasn't even a plea for revolution. Or anything that can be taken as seriously as the majority of the Gaffers in this thread did, like Geohot just pissed on their families or something.

That said, it wasn't funny, nor clever, but people get up in arms over anything.

expy

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Pretty much. Threatening sony? Massive LOL. Might as well throw him in jail already for premeditated murder using that logic.
Still not so smart to put that up while he's being sued.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
expy said:
Still not so smart to put that up while he's being sued.
He's not the smartest guy, technically skilled, but not the smartest. BUT, he dares Sony to use it in the court. Will Sony? If their legal team consists of people who passed high school, then no, they wont. Geohot makes statement that does not affect the ongoing case, and we all move along. Sure geohot will get a bunch of YT likes from *ahem* "hackers" saying "yeah, fuck Sony! Hacking FTW!" but that does not affect shit in the grand scheme of things.

expy

Banned
enzo_gt said:
He's not the smartest guy, technically skilled, but not the smartest. BUT, he dares Sony to use it in the court. Will Sony? If their legal team consists of people who passed high school, then no, they wont. Geohot makes statement that does not affect the ongoing case, and we all move along. Sure geohot will get a bunch of YT likes from *ahem* "hackers" saying "yeah, fuck Sony! Hacking FTW!" but that does not affect shit in the grand scheme of things.
Now that they can seize his Computers, we'll see about that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
expy said:
Now that they can seize his Computers, we'll see about that.
Like I said, a YT video does not affect anything. That means good or bad. Doesn't help Geohot, doesn't hurt him either. Still BS his computer's getting raided though. Not sure exactly what they plan to find.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
spwolf said:
phone exemption, phone exemption, phone exemption.... PS3 is not an phone, exemption does not apply here... get it inside your head. He is being sued for violating DMCA and suit was accepted... once again, exception does not apply here. it is moot point to talk about it and mention it all the time.

there is an reason they granted exception for phones only... they published 250 page long rulling on why is that. it is specific to phones.

The phones got an exemption because that was what was being requested. There was nothing else being talked about WRT similarities outside of phones, that's why it was phones only, get it inside your head. Tell me, with what I've listed as directly from the exemption ruling, what is fundamentally different between the phones and the PS3? Also, it WAS illegal to jailbreak phones under the DMCA. Someone could sue those guys under the DMCA as well until the exemption. Understand this, just because some overbearing and broad law like the DMCA is put in place, does NOT mean that law itself is correct. It can be challenged and found, as the DMCA has been in several instances, too broad and overbearing.

You guys want to completely ignore how the similarities are so strikingly similar that it's ridiculous. I also like how you take the exemptions (all of them) and act like that whole document is about just the phones.

Massa said:
The issue is not about consumer's being able to use a product they own, it's about people being able to tell others how to circumvent a copyright protection scheme in ways that allow a copyright violation to happen.

This is not legal in the US. The DMCA was created specifically to make this kind of free speech illegal.
Right, it is now illegal to tell people how to do something, not to actually do it for them, just tell them how. Videos explaining how to break WEP encryption should be illegal too? What about fail0verflow? They didn't release the keys, they just explained how they found it. If you think that should be illegal, I bow to my new corporate overlords. Telling someone how you could pirate something on the internet should also be illegal too? Just telling them, not actually doing it? Holy fuck the reasoning behind some people.

Also, we were being told how to do it for our phones before there was an exemption, but now it's perfectly ok to go into great detail how to do it. So, according to you all, that should have NEVER been allowed and the DMCA should have destroyed your ability to jailbreak your phone. After all, the DMCA said it was illegal.

RobertM

He is doing this for exposure you fools. It's a backwards way of doing it I must admit, but at the end of the day he will need as much support as he can get. This is just one of the ways of doing it.

Ploid 3.0 said:
"You're fucking with the dude who got the keys to your safe"

Is this a threat?

Sounds more of an admission, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony used it in court.

TheChillyAcademic said:
I have a feeling he'll regret that video. Sony isn't going to let this go anytime soon, I think they've proved they are in this for the long haul.
Yep.

Though, as much as he annoys me, that rap was legit. Like, real solid.

-PXG-

YoungHav said:
I hope Sony forecloses GeoHotz house.

He is guilty of two things

1) Releasing modified software on the internet
2) Being an attention whoring douche bag

Neither warrant having your home taken from you. Sony isn't on the verge of collapsing because some kid in Jersey.

enzo_gt said:
Like I said, a YT video does not affect anything. That means good or bad. Doesn't help Geohot, doesn't hurt him either. Still BS his computer's getting raided though. Not sure exactly what they plan to find.

Again, it's scary that people support a private corporation seizing personal property of 22 year old individual. It's one thing for law enforcement or the government to take your stuff (whether it be probable cause or having sufficient evidence), but a for profit, private company? Come on GAF, don't be stupid.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
phosphor112 said:
Sounds more of an admission, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony used it in court.

Ummm...I'm not sure whether he got the keys or not is in debate here. It's more whether it is fair use and if telling people how someone figured something out is illegal (fail0verflow).

Can't find the thread, but recently there was a grad student who published a paper detailing a major flaw in the credit card PIN system against the wishes of the credit card companies.

Should he go to jail too?

Top Bottom