• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has already released more games on PC than on console this generation!

How long until they announce launches in conjunction with the PC?

• In 1 year.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Until the end of the generation.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Never

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • I Dunno

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murdok

The movement that began with Ms, despite several critics with several pessimistic predictions, which did not come true. It seems to have been adopted easily by Sony, now with a more consolidated path for the American company.

In your opinion, how long will it take Sony to announce that PC games will be day one with consoles?

And with all this movement and emphasis given to PC, would it be a good thing for consoles?

Michael Jackson Popcorn GIF by Naughty Dog

Dream-Knife

Banned
It's inevitable since last gen when consoles became budget PCs.

Sony has released more new games on PS5 though. Most of those PC ports are PS4 games.

And digital Foundry just said they changed their mind and now want Pro console because PC is just all that and more.
Time to pack up the consoles trade em in for whatever I can get and finally parts pick a new pc

th4tguy

Why release same day when they can get double dippers?
When Sony releases on PC, they lose that 30% cut. Worth it if they are picking up extra sales, especially from people who already bought it on consoles.
MS releasing on PC generally avoids this issue as they are pushing releases through Gamepass (no direct sales) and through the MS store (not %cut loss).

Despite the similarities to what MS is doing, it's a different sales strategy that Sony is using, compared to MS. I don't see how it makes any financial sense for Sony to release PC same day. It's not like PC sales are even half of what the consoles push.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The movement that began with Ms, despite several critics with several pessimistic predictions, which did not come true. It seems to have been adopted easily by Sony, now with a more consolidated path for the American company.

In your opinion, how long will it take Sony to announce that PC games will be day one with consoles?

And with all this movement and emphasis given to PC, would it be a good thing for consoles?

MS has always released games on PC. Even before there was an Xbox, MS was making games for PC.
And the reason is that MS dominates the PC OS market with Windows. So making software and games for Windows, only reinforces that market.

Sony does not have a presence in the PC market. Neither an OS, nor a store.
So they have no incentive to push the PC platform. But they have a strong incentive to push their own console.
Releasing games on PC, is an extra source of revenue for the company. But that is it.
So don't expect games to be released on PC, at the same time as on playstation.

Topher

Gold Member
Doubt they will, unfortunately, but I get why they don't. PS makes a lot of money in their ecosystem. Going to PC later gives them a monetary boost while still being able to maintain the sense that their console is the priority. Not sure why they would be in a rush to hand over 30% to Valve anyway.

theHFIC

Typical Jim Ryan power move helping keep our exclusives funded. Separating money from PC gamers is the modern equivalent of candy from a baby.

GaaS games are day one for sure. They won't be able to survive otherwise (unless they go F2P).

I think single player games will eventually release day and date as they continue to grow in budget, but I really don't know how far out that will be. I guess it depends on the success of a PS5 Pro as the reason for the PS4 Pro was the counteract the PC market.

Last edited:

Mowcno

They haven't though? Since the release of the PS5 Sony have released 18 titles on console and 10 titles on PC.

Releases Post PS5:
Sackboy (console + PC)
Demon Souls (console)
Spiderman Miles Morales (console + pc)
Horizon Forbidden West (console)
God of War Ragnarok (console)
Returnal (console + pc)
Ratchet Rift Apart (console + pc)
Gran Turismo 7 (console)
Destruction All Stars (console)
The Last of Us Part 1 (console + PC)
Ghost of Tshusima Directors Cut (Console)
MLB The Show 21 (console)
MLB The Show 22 (console)
MLB The Show 23 (console)
Uncharted Legacy of Thieves (Console + PC)
Spiderman Remastered (Console + PC)
Horizon Call of the Mountain (Console)
Predator Hunting Grounds (Console + PC)
Days Gone (PC)
God of War (PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom