• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has given up the WRC license and doesn't seem to have much interest in it

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Edge Online has published a rather lazy-man's interview with MotorStorm developer Evolution Studios, lazy because they let the readers submit all the questions. The interview covers a variety of topics, from voice chat to split-screen gameplay, also touching on the (mostly) highly regarded WRC series for the PS2, also from Evolution, specifically asking when we can expect to see that franchise hit the PS3. It seems, however, that Sony has lost the rights to the WRC series and doesn't sound all that particularly interested in picking it up again:

I want to know what's happening with the WRC series: will it be coming to the PS3? If news is scarce, when could we expect some news?

MS: This is more a question for an ‘Ask the publisher’ session! For some time we didn’t admit it publicly, but the truth is that we have not done any WRC work since Rally Evolved shipped. SCEE and ISC (the rights holders) are still having executive conversations, but the licence expired last year and the future of the WRC franchise is anyone’s guess. It doesn’t help that the sport recently lost several key car manufacturers.

Source: http://www.digitaldisplacement.com/?p=2190

That sucks I always liked the Rally series was looking forward to it on the PS3.

Gek54

The license ended in 2005 and they never renewed. I dont know what bullshit they are talking about with losing "key car manufactures" causing any loss of fans. All the same cars are still there just running under different teams. Im sure no one gives a shit that Loeb is driving the same citroen with a different livery.

They gimped the number of stages and their length in WRC: Evolved but over all it was pretty good. I dont know what they are thinking with Motorstorm.

jedimike

I hope there is some competition in the Rally arena. I don't want to have to rely on CM since RalliSport will probably never happen again.

I would settle for MotorStorm, since really I just want an off-road racer, but there needs to be more track variety.

Dante

fivehorizons said:
We can all pray that they lose it and someone thats willing to publish it for more than one platform and in America

Hope not, The F1 demo on PSN is fantastic.

DCX

DCX
Well, maybe MS should grab the WRC license in conjuction with RaliSport challenge. I can only dream.

DCX

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
tasos said:
Any guesses about the new rights holder ? EA maybe ?

i dont think anyones picked it up, though i'd actually root for EA (shock!) because maybe they'd give whats left of the rsc team the job of making it.

this is old news btw. maybe not for edge, but certainly for gaf ;)

Goldrusher

I'll be happy with Colin McRae: DIRT.

cmrd1.jpg

Top Bottom