• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Hates 2D: Truth? Myth?

Gaijin To Ronin said:
Sure, sure, and now explain to everybody here why SCEJ doen´t have any problem with 2D games and SCEA has it.

Oh, yes!, now I understand why Playstation was a failure in Japan and a huge success in USA! because SCEA guardians were there to protect gamers of inferior type of games, Thanks!, thanks I say.

Well, I suppose all this should be address to SCEA at all. I mean, the reasoning could be that one you say, but is only a justification for stupidity.

Perception is different in America and Japan, whether we like it or not. Animated films are the perfect example. I've heard it time and time again: Some jackass talking about how big a leap movies like Robots and Shrek are over the old Disney movies we grew up with.

My thinking is...the Playstation is already the dominant force in the industry, so Sony no longer needs to distinguish themsleves as much from their competition like they did back in the 32-Bit days. So why do they continue to block 2D/niche games? I doubt Wal-Mart Man with the 10-Gallon hat is gonna give a crap if his Playstation can play 'ye olde' type games as well as the latest Madden and GTA. Sony should have abolished these regulations a long time ago. All it does now is piss off their fanbase.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
WalkMan said:
Beleive it or not, there's actually a generation of gamers that won't even touch 2D games.

There's also a generation of gamers who won't touch 3D games...

SantaC

More 2D for the people! Konami could have taken advantage of a new 2D Castlevania on PS2 but they never did because 3D was the way to go :(

Cheerilee

BTW, I don't think anyone's mentioned the so-called "Performance Analyzer" yet.

Where Nintendo used to try and measure the amount of "fun" in a game (back when they were on top and needed to turn away games), Sony decided to try and be more scientific, so they developed a tool to measure how much of their system's power a game is using. And they use it in their approval process. I've heard mention of it on both the PSone and the PS2. The more you hammer the system, the better your game must be (at least, graphic-wise).

As a general rule, 2D can't even hope to compete with 3D in that area.

And it was most likely SCEI who invented the thing, not SCEA.

djtiesto said:
There's also a generation of gamers who won't touch 3D games...

same can be said for 2D. clearly not the same situation as having a few 2D games does not drive a 3D player from a console. I love 2D games and agree that Sony has hurt the industry a great deal in championing the death of 2D, but i have to say that 2D gameplay is a different experience. I imagine most people on this board, like myself, grew up playing 2D games and they are the original experience that we approach the gaming world with. I have seen lots of younger kids, young enough to have had their inital experiences to be 3D, really struggle with 2D gameplay and not quite get it.

Furoba

Mashing said:
But WHY does SCEA have such a loathing for 2d games? Does it just come down to development costs for the art assets?

But if that was the case WHY do they deny 3rd party 2d efforts? It's not going to cheaping the "prestige" (WTF?) or the brand of the console.

Maybe because Sega Saturn was better in 2D, but failed ultimately... And since Peter Moore is working for Microsoft, which allows more 2D games, they HAVE to do the opposite. Or something... :lol

More realistically, I just think SCEA (and SCEE) have incoherent quality control tests. I mean, they allow gutter trash, but no 2D gems?

Swan Song

Yeah, I hate that SCEA doesn’t approve 2D games and they completely ignore quirky Japanese games. Oh wait, I forgot about:

Alien Hominid
Katamari Damacy
Guilty Gear
No One Can Stop Mr. Domino
Irritating Stick
Mr. Mosquito
Disgaea
Puzzle Challenge
Rez
Echo Night
Culdcept
Devil Dice
Incredible Crisis

I know there’s more I’m forgetting, but no, I don’t want any of the umpteen dating sims or pachinko games. And I don’t want any ports of 10 year old SNK fighting games. Make a new, nicely animated 2D fighting game.

And no, I’m not a Sony fanboi. I’m a video gamer. I own every system and I plan on getting a Wii and a PS3. I just hate people who only believe in absolutes and talk as if they know everything because a friend of a friend told them they read something on a message board about some company having a policy against something.

VNZ

ruby_onix said:
BTW, I don't think anyone's mentioned the so-called "Performance Analyzer" yet.

Where Nintendo used to try and measure the amount of "fun" in a game (back when they were on top and needed to turn away games), Sony decided to try and be more scientific, so they developed a tool to measure how much of their system's power a game is using. And they use it in their approval process. I've heard mention of it on both the PSone and the PS2. The more you hammer the system, the better your game must be (at least, graphic-wise).

As a general rule, 2D can't even hope to compete with 3D in that area.

And it was most likely SCEI who invented the thing, not SCEA.
So where did you read the PA is used in the approval process?

Acosta

Yeah, I hate that SCEA doesn’t approve 2D games and they completely ignore quirky Japanese games. Oh wait, I forgot about:

Alien Hominid is not japanese. Problem of SCEA is with sprites based games, given they feel it as "outdated", so games as Katamary or Mr Moskito don´t use to have problems (maybe with Mr Moskito they asked for a low price, not sure). Do you want a list of good games that have not made it? is much longer than yours.

And no, I’m not a Sony fanboi. I’m a video gamer. I own every system and I plan on getting a Wii and a PS3. I just hate people who only believe in absolutes and talk as if they know everything because a friend of a friend told them they read something on a message board about some company having a policy against something.

As "videogamer", you should feel ashamed of your lack of knowledge. SCEA approval agenda against sprite based game is real and well documented. Lot of good games haven´t seen an american launch in PS/PS2 because that. Lot of companies has been affected for a system than encourages "taking profit of the system", without caring if the game is good or not.

coldvein

Banned
If this is true, it's seriously ridiculous. First of all, I'd say the majority of PS2 games in 3D look like shit. There, I said it. Second, mass market consumers aren't going to focus in on a 2D game and say "What the **** is this? 2D? What is Sony thinking? Their game release conditions seem miserably low! I'm buying a 360 instead!". I'm sorry, but most consumers just don't think like that.

As for my personal opinion, I prefer good looking 2D sprites (even low-res ones) over some jaggy bullshit polygons over crappy textures.

mollipen

Can we also bitch about Sony's "30% more content" rule for the PSP that is keeping us from having games like the Suikoden collection and Princess Crown in the States?

Cheerilee

VNZ said:
So where did you read the PA is used in the approval process?
Nowhere specific that I can remember. But isn't everything part of the approval process? Like that "is this a test?" question?

Nozi

Banned
I remember $ony not wanting Worms on the original playstation because it was 2d. It's success made them change their stance, however.

slow-paced, action free, inventory puzzles, static backgrounds. That crap just ain't gonna fly in the US of A.
Syberia 1 and 2 never saw a US PS2 release.
B00006LK0K.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Neither did Broken Sword 3
B00009LW7S.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And oddly enough, Microsoft didn't have any problem with these games sullying their precious hardware platform. All of these are point-and-click adventure games. They have pre-rendered, static backgrounds, as as such, technically 2D games.

SCEA sucks hard.

And I would have at least been able to TRY these games out for myself. Wankers
B0001777FI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B0000A1OVL.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

HyperZone<3 said:
SCEA sucks hard.

And I would have at least been able to TRY these games out for myself. Wankers
B0001777FI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B0000A1OVL.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You're REALLY not missing out on much with Glass Rose. A very boring 'adventure' that lasts about five hours or so. But Gregory Horror show is fantastic. Also, seriously, no Broken Sword 3? What the hell.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
anyone know if the pal release of gregory horror show has a 60hz mode? this thread reminds me that i want to import it.

Cheebs

Swan Song said:

Alien Hominid
Katamari Damacy
Guilty Gear
No One Can Stop Mr. Domino
Irritating Stick
Mr. Mosquito
Disgaea
Puzzle Challenge
Rez
Echo Night
Culdcept
Devil Dice
Incredible Crisis
What the hell? They are talking about 2D games! Almost all of those are 3D games.

Nozi

Banned
HyperZone<3 said:
All of these are point-and-click adventure games. They have pre-rendered, static backgrounds, as as such, technically 2D games.

Broken Sword had realtime 3d environments.

Yoboman

It's no different than MS expecting certain resolutions and such. It's a graphical quality requirement, it's no surprise Sony has it.

callous

Whether it's a myth or not, it's a fact for me that I've had a lot more 2D games on PSX/PS2 than on N64, Xbox and GameCube. Dreamcast was ok, but Saturn in particular was decent for 2D as well.

Pellham

Banned
yeah sony sucks, but at least there will be no 2D games on the PS3 (except for dating sims) so this wont be a big deal next gen.

..pakbeka.. said:
it's not cheaper, the cost of making high-res 2d sprites is very high, especially for figthing games
I've always wondered about this statement. Is it actually true or is it simply an exaggerated way of saying that a lot of effort goes into making 2D sprites?

I mean, the work for sprites involves just painting the sprite, right? The work for 3D models involves design, texture-painting, modelling, rendering, more complex collision detection, etc. that seems to require a bigger team or longer hours than sprite design.

Of course, it's possible that 2D artist labor costs more. I just don't know.

Can anyone with some insider knowledge confirm the answer either way?

Top Bottom