• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Hires New PlayStation Sales and Marketing Lead

CJY

Banned
2013: For The Players
2020: For The PlayHERS

I kid. I just hope game marketing doesn't become woke

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Seriously. Seeeeriously. You are not going to infer any kind of SJW-angle to this because of the sex of the hire?

Because if you are... well, you do you, but... seriously.
After what happened with Star Wars, anything is possible.

Thabass

I don't think it's late. Sony really hasn't promoted the PS5 yet and there's a lot of time before it comes out and there's still a good bit of time before E3 happens.

Seriously. Seeeeriously. You are not going to infer any kind of SJW-angle to this because of the sex of the hire?

Because if you are... well, you do you, but... seriously.

Yeah, I don't get this post. Marketing and sales positions are held by a lot of females. I wouldn't look into this anymore of this as normal.

Ten_Fold

Too early to say how good she will do, hopefully she can handle tough questions without saying something stupid. With all these new people at Sony I'm just like I dont know man......

nowhat

If she's pulling a feminist policy Playstation 5 is doomed. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
Yes, just because she's female means she'll be pulling a feminist policy *facepalm*

The SJW-crowd is tiresome, for sure. But so is the anti-SJW-crowd as well. Here's a novel idea - how about we wait what (if any) changes come about before bringing out the pitchforks?

joe_zazen

Lol @ feminist angle. Ryan needs the best he can get to stop whatever the fuck has been going on for the last couple of years. And if PS leans into progressive politics, it will be because it sells to millennials and younger.

And she is heading all of playstation sales and marketing, not just ps5. Big change.

Neofire

😬 Glancing at her resume' on LinkedIn, There are far better qualified individuals that would of been great for this role, that's for sure but I'll reserve my full analysis until I read all of the details.

Stere

Yes, just because she's female means she'll be pulling a feminist policy *facepalm*

The SJW-crowd is tiresome, for sure. But so is the anti-SJW-crowd as well. Here's a novel idea - how about we wait what (if any) changes come about before bringing out the pitchforks?

Judging someone too soon based on her gender is basically something what the SJW-crowd would do, we can be better than that.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
lol, guys, y'all gotta cool it. If nothing else, her LinkedIn does make her look very qualified for this. Doesn't have to be an agenda, ya know. Even keeping in mind that this is SCEA.

Neofire

lol, guys, y'all gotta cool it. If nothing else, her LinkedIn does make her look very qualified for this. Doesn't have to be an agenda, ya know. Even keeping in mind that this is SCEA.
👀 We must be looking at different LinkedIn profiles then because considering the position she's been hired for, it doesn't look impressive.

joe_zazen

I wonder how much they'll "love" indies... and for how many months. :pie_thinking:

it is too late. These things launch in ten months. Head of PS indies has been in the job for 6 weeks and was fired from his last job. And if OsirisBlack OsirisBlack is to be believed, MS has put a-lot of work of into locking down 3rd party games.

As a sony guy, i am glad changes are being made because MS looks to be out manoeuvring them at every step.

MS moves last two years:

• All games on pc
  • gamepass has all of ms’ new games
  • customer engagement via live presentations, twitter, interviews etc
  • expanding and highly diverse game studio portfolio
  • solid, powerful, & quiet consoles
  • exclusives that are not just AAA single player story games
  • stable management
sony:
  • many small Vr games
  • 5 ( or 6 if you include Shadow of the colossus) AAA cinematic story games
  • ?

if you love vr and/or 15-30 hour cinematic single player adventure games, i can see being excited. For the rest of us, well, it is hard being a sony fan right now (Astrobot was worth buying psvr, tho), so i am glad sony has fired/demoted a bunch of SIE guys.

also fuck the guy who closed evolution and was ok with 1 GT game in 7 years.

Imtjnotu

it is too late. These things launch in ten months. Head of PS indies has been in the job for 6 weeks and was fired from his last job. And if OsirisBlack OsirisBlack is to be believed, MS has put a-lot of work of into locking down 3rd party games.

As a sony guy, i am glad changes are being made because MS looks to be out manoeuvring them at every step.

MS moves last two years:

• All games on pc
  • stable management
sony:
  • many small Vr games
  • ?

if you love vr and/or 15-30 hour cinematic single player adventure games, i can see being excited. For the rest of us, well, it is hard being a sony fan right now (Astrobot was worth buying psvr, tho), so i am glad sony has fired/demoted a bunch of SIE guys.

Microsoft gave us not the best games and won't really be doing much again late in the generation just like their previous 2. Atleast Sony and Nintendo are pumping put games even in 2020 before their new systems drop

Whitecrow

Banned

MS moves last two years:

• All games on pc
  • stable management
sony:
  • many small Vr games
  • ?

Thats a nice way to put that Sony have more games besides Forza and Halo

longdi

Banned
I dont associate Dell and MS products as for the players. Too corporatey and dull. So besides being late, Sony seems to hire someone who may not have enough experience in gaming.

Thanks Jim boy! :lollipop_tired:

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
Atleast Sony is pumping put games even in 2020 before their new systems drop

meh, this sucks actually., I'd much rather have a PS5 optimized version and wait a few months more, just like nintendo did with zelda botw... so much better..

molasar

Banned

Does her LinedIn profile say how effective her marketing actives were in pushing sales? Or is it just about what positions she held and for how long?
It is just a shady area for assessing its effectiveness.
Put it simply a marketing is an activity in convincing somebody to acquire something they do not need. Therefore are the sales partially.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

meh, this sucks actually., I'd much rather have a PS5 optimized version and wait a few months more, just like nintendo did with zelda botw... so much better..
My gut feeling says all ps4 exclusives from this year will get a ps5 version or a ps5 upgrade

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS

MS moves last two years:

• All games on pc
  • stable management
sony:
  • many small Vr games
  • ?

Lol, what a mind boggling post. Sony has acquired new studios as well. Sony already has stable management. Sony makes more than third person cinematic exclusives, you already mentioned a big one in Astro Bot. Sony engages customers through the media and articles. Microsoft putting game’s on PC does nothing for Xbox consoles so I’m not sure why that’s a positive either lol.

You gotta grasp at straws when you sell 100 million I guess.

Welp I hope they do good at their position and bring some enthusiasm to the table; Jim certainly is not an enthusiastic sort of guy.

Also makes me realize how much I miss the original team that put the PS4 together and pushed it early on. Seemed like a real good clique and they had a lot of enthusiasm, especially guys like Andrew House.

Hopefully this new person suggests Sony cut it out with the stupid censorship but I've kinda given up on that xD.

And if PS leans into progressive politics, it will be because it sells to millennials and younger.

Well, they did move their headquarters to California so this is more or less expected :p . But assuming this new lady's gonna play a part in it just because she's female is big reaching, I agree with those balking against that rhetoric.

I mean just keep in mind Sony's been censoring innocent fanservice in Japanese games before this new person was hired, it's not like if they keep that up she'll be making the shift. They'd just be towing what the higher-ups want.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Lol, what a mind boggling post. Sony has acquired new studios as well. Sony already has stable management. Sony makes more than third person cinematic exclusives, you already mentioned a big one in Astro Bot. Sony engages customers through the media and articles. Microsoft putting game’s on PC does nothing for Xbox consoles so I’m not sure why that’s a positive either lol.

You gotta grasp at straws when you sell 100 million I guess.

true, they bought insomniac.

i hate the fact i am more atracted to xsx then ps5. Trying to make sense of it, lol.

but, given the massive restructuring of sie, i am not the only one who thinks they were asleep at the wheel.

Hellgardia

Well, it does work both ways. There are a lot of people who are going to wait a bit longer to buy the next-gen consoles but they do want to play the latest games. I can see why they are still putting games like TLOU2 or FFVII Remake on PS4.

theHFIC

I am just here for the arm chair HR analyzing from some of the great NeoGAF Couch-lords.

If only the development team of King Come: Deliverance had C-Suite experience AM I RIGHT?

Man, Woman, Alien, or Furry hire, Sony just stays winning. They can't help it. The road to 100 million is very diverse.

MS moves last two years:

• All games on pc
  • stable management
sony:
  • many small Vr games
  • ?

LOL, what a funny post. Btw. GTS is bigger than all Forza Motorsport this gen. FIA competitions are nothing more than groundbreaking. FM can only dream about that.
PS Now, besides 4 times bigger library ( yeah, yeah, doesn't have 1st party games day 1, but why canibalize sales of their games like MS did for Gears 5, just look at the Most Played games on US MS Store ) is cheaper than Game Pass ( if you count a regular price, not the 1$ promotion ). PS Now doesn't require PS+ + you can download and stream games, Game Pass alone does require XBL, Game Pass Ultimate is a lot more expensive.

Yeah, Sony doesn't have diverse games nor small ones, only AAA singleplayer games. Btw. WTF is Dreams then? You can make small games there buy yourself and Xbone can only dream about it.
Sony WWS aren't expanding? Are you kidding me?

Sony doesn't have stable management?? RESTRUCTURING happens in all companies.

Only one Sony move in 2020 >>>>>>>>>>>>> all MS moves during whole gen :

pjR4YfP.jpg

Last edited:
If a salesperson can sell themselves in to a position higher than what they made be qualified for, then they're a good sales person and deserve the job.

Vawn

Banned
I hate SJW culture as much as anyone, but let's not try to match them by being equally absurd on the other end of the spectrum.

A female marketing lead is not something out of the ordinary. I have female friends I went to college with who have been successful in the field long before this SJW culture began.

She seems very qualified.

molasar

Banned
If a salesperson can sell themselves in to a position higher than what they made be qualified for, then they're a good sales person and deserve the job.
A female marketing lead is not something out of the ordinary. I have female friends I went to college with who have been successful in the field long before this SJW culture began.
She seems very qualified.

By qualified do you mean effective in sales canvassing? Is that information in her LinkedIn profile?

slade

She doesn't even have to do any work. It's a PlayStation. At this point, the console markets itself.

Top Bottom