• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony introduces "Smart As...." for PSVita

RpgN

Because it was grouped together with other Apps like paint park and wake up club in a recent blog post?

It was not, you're talking about the puzzle game. This was announced why before the Vita was released and it has been a long time since they showed anything about it, until today.

Patapwn

Sony, a main competitor to Nintendo, announces a "brain-training" (term used in the press release) puzzle game for their handheld device.

Years ago, Nintendo released "Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training" for the DS, which is what helped the device explode into popularity

I think there's a difference between Sony attempting a hilariously pathetic attempt to try and capture that success in a VERY different market years later, then anyone claiming Nintendo invented puzzle games.
This is like calling Nintendo's entrance into the gaming business a hilariously pathetic attempt to capitalize on someone else invention because they did not invent videogames. It's the same mentality, except from the position of an Atari fanboy :p

Seriously, why are people up in arms about this? Nintendo didn't even 'invent' the concept nor will they be making $$$ whether or not this game exists.

RpgN

There were already Dr. Kawashima games on PSP, dunno why this is a big deal.

Didn't you know? It's because the Vita is dead.

Lately I'm getting reminded how annoying some Nintendo fans can get and why I don't like them the most out of all the crazy fans out there.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
You know they really should have gone with Smart Ass and made it a You Don't Know Jack kind of game. I mean yeah Sony has Buzz! but those games aren't near the quality of YDKJ.

CrisKre

If it gets any more out of hand Ill guess you'll just have to not buy it even more than you are not going to buy it now!

Don´t make assumptions.

The fact that IN MY OPINION this latest announcements are a bit shamelessly trying to copy nintendo´s catalogue of games (come on! Move Sports title? Little Big Planet Karting? Playstation All Star Battle Royale? Smart As? you are saying with a straight face you dont see a trend?) at least they might be good quality copycats. So we´ll see.

Now, i don´t condone people denying the fact that this is Sony following nintendo´s lead with this titles, or people having a problem with others stating that fact. Sorry.

BurntPork

Banned
A lot of people here feel that their favorite publishers "owe them," and whenever a game is announced that targets a different audience, it's consistently met with disappointment and hostility.

It's an extreme lack of foresight, and people would rather cry foul than understand that broadly-appealing software is designed to bring in steady cash flow to help fund bigger budget projects, and increase the usage of new functions of hardware (i.e. Augmented Reality, or rear-based touchscreens).

A lot of people don't understand what it means to 'create a market' and support that market, either. Brain Age wasn't just a game - it created an entire segment of users who consume that type of content. Seeing another publisher create this content is not a 'me too' strategy as much as it is a recognition of an established segment and creating product to fill that demand. The audience creates these products as much as the developers. There's really no reason to get angry; some of these ideas sound interesting, and if anything, will get secondary users (parents, siblings) to pick up the Vita in the house and check out new features exclusive to the handheld.

This is all true, but Vita is priced out of the market that would want this. Hell, 3DS is probably priced too high for Devil Training to succeed outside of Japan. It just seems like a waste of resources.

test_account

XP-39C²
A lot of people here feel that their favorite publishers "owe them," and whenever a game is announced that targets a different audience, it's consistently met with disappointment and hostility.

It's an extreme lack of foresight, and people would rather cry foul than understand that broadly-appealing software is designed to bring in steady cash flow to help fund bigger budget projects, and increase the usage of new functions of hardware (i.e. Augmented Reality, or rear-based touchscreens).

A lot of people don't understand what it means to 'create a market' and support that market, either. Brain Age wasn't just a game - it created an entire segment of users who consume that type of content. Seeing another publisher create this content is not a 'me too' strategy as much as it is a recognition of an established segment and creating product to fill that demand. The audience creates these products as much as the developers. There's really no reason to get angry; some of these ideas sound interesting, and if anything, will get secondary users (parents, siblings) to pick up the Vita in the house and check out new features exclusive to the handheld.
Well said. There are often tons of similar games in each genre, so i'm kinda surprised (maybe not) by some of these comments. Sometimes people also think that Nintendo came up with ideas first, while other similar things have been done by other before Nintendo. And then they accuse others of copying Nintendo.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This is all true, but Vita is priced out of the market that would want this. Hell, 3DS is probably priced too high for Devil Training to succeed outside of Japan. It just seems like a waste of resources.

I imagine it's fairly cheap to make and they'll ship enough to make a buck off it without much marketing resources. People need to feel this is a 'device for them,' regardless of price. Prices come down, but content doesnt make itself!

wii+u-+ps4-copies-dot-com-sony-playstation-move-steal-or-innovate.jpg

Damn, the Nintendo avatars are really making their presence known in this thread. Keep fighting the good fight brothers!

Anyway, I'll pass on this gimmicky brain training crap and continue to be psyched for Gravity Daze, Soul Sacrifice, Sound Shapes and LittleBigPlanet.

"MAN I WISH IT WAS CALLED SMART ASS."

Seriously, do you think the title they picked was an accident?

Besides the fact it contains unique games, a very different presentation style, and online social features?

Couldn't you say that about all of Sony's copycat games?

"Battle Royale contains unique gameplay elements, a very different presentation style, and online social features."

"LBP Karting contains unique gameplay elements, a very different presentation style, and online social features."

"Move Sports contains unique gameplay elements, a very different presentation style, and online social features."

The fact is that Sony, throughout this gen, has taken a liking to copying genres that Nintendo made popular...under the thinly-veiled guise of a "new and unique" experience.

CrisKre

Damn, the Nintendo avatars are really making their presence known in this thread. Keep fighting the good fight brothers!

Anyway, I'll pass on this gimmicky brain training crap and continue to be psyched for Gravity Daze, Soul Sacrifice, Sound Shapes and LittleBigPlanet.

So you agree. Brother.

Mondriaan

I'm just a little salty myself that Nintendo doesn't copy more.

I didn't need innovations like friend codes or region locks on portable systems.

Don´t make assumptions.

The fact that IN MY OPINION this latest announcements are a bit shamelessly trying to copy nintendo´s catalogue of games (come on! Move Sports title? Little Big Planet Karting? Playstation All Star Battle Royale? Smart As? you are saying with a straight face you dont see a trend?) at least they might be good quality copycats. So we´ll see.

So, they copied themselves?

vJPLi.jpg

M.D

Fans of a company that has not introduced a new IP since 2001 and uses the same franchises for 20 years cry about a company that introduces new IP's every year lack of innovation

test_account

XP-39C²
Couldn't you say that about all of Sony's copycat games?

"Battle Royale contains unique gameplay elements, a very different presentation style, and online social features."

"LBP Karting contains unique gameplay elements, a very different presentation style, and online social features."

"Move Sports contains unique gameplay elements, a very different presentation style, and online social features."

The fact is that Sony, throughout this gen, has taken a liking to copying genres that Nintendo made popular...under the thinly-veiled guise of a "new and unique" experience.
Why do you single out Sony here? Why not Nintendo, Micosoft and every other company as well? Or do you mean that everyone have to come up with totally new ideas all the time? Honest question, just wondering what your main point is here.

Adr1an

Depending on the price i might actually get Smart as

Seems like a fun game to pick up and play for a few minutes.

Man, platform partisanship is usually dead this late in the cycle. Just buy all three systems and be on the lookout for good games. It's been eight years.

This thread is like that stranded soldier in the South Pacific who thinks the (whichever) war is still happening.

CrisKre

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Nintendo is still allowed to incorporate online and HD. They're also allowed to copy anything else.

The rule only applies to everyone that is not Nintendo.

Hahaha, really? Online and HD? why don´t you add electricity to that list and make it complete.

slider

I was interested in a new title but, sheesh, this thread!

I'm all for "big" titles on a handheld. I'm also for smaller titles. I'll see how this one pans out but so far it's looking just "ok".

I do not care about copying. If you say they are copying; well then they are good ideas they are getting from others, which is fine by me, because I still love their first parties.

jaypah

This is like calling Nintendo's entrance into the gaming business a hilariously pathetic attempt to capitalize on someone else invention because they did not invent videogames. It's the same mentality, except from the position of an Atari fanboy :p

Seriously, why are people up in arms about this? Nintendo didn't even 'invent' the concept nor will they be making $$$ whether or not this game exists.

Having read the thread nobody is up in arms. Well except for the defense. Some cats made jokes and people got offended I guess? I dunno. I don't have a horse in this race but it's funny because it continues the "Sony copied Nintendo!" meme. I also agree that Sony has made a ton of original stuff. I still find this funny.

BurntPork

Banned
I imagine it's fairly cheap to make and they'll ship enough to make a buck off it without much marketing resources. People need to feel this is a 'device for them,' regardless of price. Prices come down, but content doesnt make itself!

Even considering that, it doesn't make sense as a Vita exclusive. It should be a PSN title for Vita/PSP/PS3.

KalBalboa

Banned
I guess for some fans Nintendo owns the whole "brain teaser minigames" concept.

But yeah, this is clearly taking a page from that book. The rear touch stuff is new though- and I'm getting a little You Don't Know Jack from the GUI.

You%2BDon%2527t%2BKnow%2BJack%2BScreenshots.jpg

Oh, and it's probably going to be a $10-$20 downloadable. This isn't exactly being pushed as a killer-app, so chill out.

Fans of a company that has not introduced a new IP since 2001 and uses the same franchises for 20 years cry about a company that introduced new IP's every year lack of innovation

Are you telling me that Nintendo hasn't introduced a new IP since 2001? Are you serious?

I guess in your world, Xenoblade, Endless Ocean, Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Fortune Street, Rhythm Heaven, The Last Story, Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Pandora's Tower, Disaster: Day of Crisis, etc. don't exist.

Mondriaan

Hahaha, really? Online and HD? why don´t you add electricity to that list and make it complete.
Well, it's a good thing that the gamecube used electricity and was not abacus based. Otherwise for the wii we would have had to push around beads 50% faster.

Are you telling me that Nintendo hasn't introduced a new IP since 2001? Are you serious?

I guess in your world, Xenoblade, Endless Ocean, Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Fortune Street, Rhythm Heaven, The Last Story, Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Pandora's Tower, Disaster: Day of Crisis, etc. don't exist.

You forgot Steel Diver!!!

Might have been intentional though.

Man, platform partisanship is usually dead this late in the cycle. Just buy all three systems and be on the lookout for good games. It's been eight years.

This thread is like that stranded soldier in the South Pacific who thinks the (whichever) war is still happening.

It's really quite sad. I don't think I've ever seen Nintendo people bitterly attack other console makers with this veracity before. The last couple months on GAF have been unbearable at times...

NINJEDIT: I don't mean to say that other console partisanship hasn't been displayed--just that I haven't seen it from Nintys for some time.

It's really quite sad. I don't think I've ever seen Nintendo people bitterly attack other console makers with this veracity before. The last couple months on GAF have been unbearable at times...

Well the amount of slings, insults and DOOMED proclaimations Nintendo fans have suffered over the last DECADE might have brought it to a boiling point.

Just sayin'

Top Bottom