• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

KaoteK

Holy fuck nuts this thread...

Given I'm a cynical old bastard with a heart of stone, I'd be the first to call out dodgy behaviour if I saw it.

I don't see it here...
Seriously I don't get it. Maybe I'm fucking stupid, but all I can see is a load people determined to piss on the parade because...
Nope, got nothing.

It was genuinely heart warming to see people lose their shit when this was announced, that it got funded so quickly was brilliant.

Everyone who kick started this knew the score, PC/PS4 only, there was no "Oh yeah of you give us enough cash we can release an xbone version too Muahahaaaa!"

Fucking hell can't we be happy that a game we never thought would see the light of day is being released?

I wonder if this will slow down the take up on KS. I knew it would smash it's goal, but I would have like to see it reach some of it strech goals. I feel this announcement should have waited until the KS is finished and is ACTUALLY funded. People could just withdraw their pledge now that they know Sony is bank rolling it.

Acheteedo

Good! I'm glad it'll get an actual workable budget rather than an impossible $2-4 million. All that matters to me is the game existing, and for Yu to be given the chance to make the full Shenmue III that the fans want. Happy to have contributed a hundred bucks to the cause, and I'll gladly have my name in credits thanks very much :)

Now that sony is involved (lol, now), I expect a fully rendered CG video of the previous 2 games to remind me of the story. I will accept nothing less than perfection.
anuxi_deal.gif

kmax

With Sony on board, they might even consider doing a Shenmue 1&2 remaster. If the demand is there (which this Kickstarter very much proved that there is), why not?

I'm just saying, the possibilities are endless now. This is such a fantastic position for Shenmue fans.

I look at it is like this:

Shenmue 3 has been looking for publishers and a method of funding for years. Obviously no one has taken to the plate, probably as, "No one remembers Shenmue," "It's only wanted from a vocal minority," "Financial loss," etc.

Sony heard the fans, but like many others probably was hesitant to put millions of dollars here, so to prove investment, it's asked for fans to "Put their money where their mouth is," which is probably the only way Shenmue 3 was going to show there were people who'd actually buy the thing rather than taking a blind risk worth millions of dollars.

Fans gets the game for a cheaper-than-retail price and get to be involved in active development and feedback of the game, as well as get goodies. Yu gets to have data that fans will support Shenmue and gets a platform to interact with his core fan base more closely. Sony gets sales date and 'proof' of worth to be able to put some funding into it.

There literally is no lose here for anyone involved, they're even being transparent of this fact in less than 24 hours since the Kickstarter launched, no money has been taken yet and there's plenty of weeks to think on it and let people who want to be part be part. The only people that are upset are those that want to be upset or take issue asking, "What's the point, this feels slimey," not knowing the purpose of the term "Kickstarter" and not understanding why Sony, 'couldn't just fund it themselves.' It's not couldn't here, it's wouldn't, because there is very slim chance this game will sell like hotcakes, and they know that, this is likely going to be coming up as a loss for them, BUT it allows something fans really want to happen, and allows fans to both be more directly involved AND put their money where their mouth is to support and prove there's interest, while getting goodies and lower prices for those who want them and want to support.

This wouldn't work with every game, but it makes sense for Shenmue 3, and if they didn't do it this way, then it'd probably wouldn't happen. It's also probably the smartest way to tackle, "Shenmue 3", honestly, rather than making it hush-hush anyways. Shenmue 3 is happening because of fan demand, so get the fans involved, and those involved can help leave feedback and relay stuff directly to the creators and the team, as well as answer questions the team wants to know about going forward with the fans.

Thanks, you took the words out of my mouth..

Guys...

It's Shenmue, and although I've never played the games despite owning both a Dreamcast and an original Xbox, the sad history of this series being a sort of under-appreciated gem that was disowned by its irresponsible parents and shuffled off to an Xbox brand that clearly didn't really want it, that makes the resurrection of this series truly remarkable no matter how it gets done.

The kickstarter gets people invested in a way that not only lets them be involved but also puts the game and the story of the game on enough front pages of the gaming media that it can kindle legitimate interest in gamers who never played the first two games but maybe should have...

Jesus Christ. Read through a ton of pages and I can't believe the line of logic some people have. This isn't Sony's kickstarter, its Ys Net's. I can see how it's "scummy" that Sony didn't say, "if this reaches 2m, we'll support it!" But without them, the game wouldn't Fucking exist. I've waited 14+ years to kick Lan Di's ass and no one wanted to fulfill my fantasy of doing so until Sony stepped in. Thank you Sony for having the balls to even attempt to bring Shenmue 3 back to life. I'm backing the Shit out of this game and if you don't want to, that's fine, just don't take a Shit and start flinging it at people who support this.

P.S. I would also gladly support REmake 2 and other niche titles that'll never see the light of day.

P.P.S. Thank you to the people who never played but are backing it out of the kindness of your hearts to see that we finally get Shenmue 3.

Poop!

Uh... yes it did? The only difference is that Sega financed it, but they weren't willing or didn't want to finance a sequel.

I meant outside of the publisher. Nintendo (a first party) published Bayo2 and it was/is exclusive. Who is publishing Shenmue PC?

Kup

Foot? Hmm, ok, never understood that expression, but lets look at the rest of your ridiculous post.

Hmm, you're a Kickstarter expert? You're the owner then? You know how Kickstarter should operate? Maybe gives us some of your credentials then :) or maybe you'll stay silent because you're talking out of your... well, you know what ;) Oh, now we're gonna turn Bloodborne being made into a bad thing. Evil SONY LET?S ALL SHOUT GUYS. Hmm, I was gonna check your post history but its probably all xbox related :D no offense. LOL, shame? Repentance? Now you're just trolling...

OK, I will laugh, because your post is getting insane now. Nobody will buy Shenmue? Heh, I guess 2 million+ dollars in pledges just appeared out of thin air? LOL, you were right with your "laugh all you want" comment. But it is US who are laughing at YOU.

Sony will lose its business? IDK if you saw or overslept the last 2 days, but Sony won the E3 it was the best E3 ever, by a consensus. Sony wont lose it's business. But you should stop buying their games nevertheless. Becauise Sony doesnt ned a customre lik you.
tl;dr translation of your post: hurdruoaorudrup :D;);()

Please understand.

Holy fuck nuts this thread...

Fucking hell can't we be happy that a game we never thought would see the light of day is being released?

No because it's not coming to the $500 box of metal and plastic that I'm emotionally invested in.

This game would not even exist right now without Sony. Every other Publisher including MS had 14 years to pick this game up but they all steered clear of it. Sony gives it the green light and for doing so they're now the scum of the Earth. This E3 has brought out the salt fersure. But I guess that's what happens when megatons go off. They leave trails of salt in their wake.

With Sony on board, they might even consider doing a Shenmue 1&2 remaster. If the demand is there (which this Kickstarter very much proved that there is), why not?

I'm just saying, the possibilities are endless now. This is such a fantastic position for Shenmue fans.

Shenmue I & II HD should happen, a recap at the beginning of Shenmue III will never do justice to the games.

Fox Mulder

i love that shenmue 3 is getting made even though i probably won't get to play it due to the platforms. Just one of those games I thought would never get made at this point.

people will complain about anything though.

This could have started off as a pure Kickstarter development project and found a 3rd party publisher willing to fund it and put it on PC, Xbox One and PS4.

The the kick starter campaign to gauge gamer interest is bs. Anyone in this forum could've guessed the outcome to a Kick Starter campaign for Shenmue 3. "The fastest to 2 million for a video game Kick Starter", no shit Sherlock.

The Kick Starter could've been for 20 million and it would've found the funding.

No matter, ill be getting it on PC and I'm definitely grateful for that.

This is the mentality that make people accepting powers' abuses, they always start small with things that people like... What can i say, if you are happy with this enjoy it.

I really really hope they would "abuse" like this us more to revive a lot of dead franchise. LOL the "abuse" consists of them funding the project and telling us about it after 24 hours.

Atleast Sony is funding but still allowing it on PC. Same with SFV.

The question remains at this point: Are they fully funding, hence making the kickstarter "pointless" to the game developpement or are they helping ?
Fully funded and helping with funding are two different things.

MaulerX

Im getting Shenmue 3 for 29$, sounds like a good fucking deal to me.

They should have made it $60 minimum and ensured everyone got a physical copy. Personally I'm getting for PC and add it to my Dreamcast (part one) and Xbox (part two) collections.

Come to think of it this is the first time I'd have played a videogame trilogy where each of the three versions are on three different platforms.

Oppo

I woke up this morning and funding is at 3 million?!

But this topic?

I DEMAND ANSWERS. FUNDING SHOULD BE GOING DOWN.

Sony cheated their way to a de facto exclusive. Get the torches. If I can't have Shenmue on Ouya then NO ONE WILL

2+2=5 said:
This is the mentality that make people accepting powers' abuses
please, please tell me you did not just start equating "first they came for the writers"

The question remains at this point: Are they fully funding, hence making the kickstarter "pointless" to the game developpement or are they helping ?
Fully funded and helping with funding are two different things.

I think it was clear that they fully intended to back the game from the outset and the kickstarter was just a publicity stunt. I guess Sony PR is next level.

I think it was clear that they fully intended to back the game from the outset and the kickstarter was just a publicity stunt. I guess Sony PR is next level.

I wonder though. Wouldn't it be a full exclusive and announced as such if they were fully footing the bill ? I really believe that this kickstarter isn't only to gather reception from people but also building the game.

Grzi

People are still going on about this?

For people saying Sony knew there was demand, sure, but if they wanted to be certain that the fans are still up for it, that they're willing to put their money where their mouth is, Kickstarter is a pretty good way. Plus, the people that backed it are getting the game, it's basically preordering but the money goes to the publisher/developer, and the backers get some extra stuff if they're up for it.

So far the game has been backed by 37 thousand people. Let's say it reaches 100k backers (unlikely), that doesn't constitute enough sales for the game to be a success. For people wondering why Sony didn't do the same with the new IPs (that have an aesthetic that caters more to the modern game consumer), this is the THIRD game in a series, the chance of a lot of people buying a third game when they haven't played the first two is not that big. And correct me if I'm wrong but the first two games didn't sell all that well. I really don't expect this game to be such a huge success for Sony.

I don't see why the lack of transparency is a problem lol, wow, huge corporations aren't being transparent from the get go and want to test out the market, welcome to the real world.

I really have a hard time taking these complaints seriously, it's like people refuse to be reasonable and shit for the sake of it. Did you even read half of these posts explaining to you in a very reasonable way why they did it this way?
The game is being made after FOURTEEN YEARS. No one wanted to make it now Sony is funding it. There was demand? By whom? The million people that bought the first game? I highly doubt it, but even if there was, FFVII sold ten times more and people have been begging for a remake for more than ten years and we're only getting it now, probably also thanks to Sony's money.

This thread gave me a headache and I'm out.

This could have started off as a pure Kickstarter development project and found a 3rd party publisher willing to fund it and put it on PC, Xbox One and PS4.

The the kick starter campaign to gauge gamer interest is bs. Anyone in this forum could've guessed the outcome to a Kick Starter campaign for Shenmue 3. "The fastest to 2 million for a video game Kick Starter", no shit Sherlock.

The Kick Starter could've been for 20 million and it would've found the funding.

yes! Yu Suzuki you sly! you should have continued to try to find a new publisher after 14 years instead of taking Sony's evil deal! Where is your integrity! What about those poor shenmue fans who only had a Xbox One and cant buy a PS4 or play it on PC for religious reasons...

I really don't see how this was a sure fire thing. Yes, neogaf is very vocal about how much they'd want a shenmue sequel, but the gaming community at large? Shenmue to them is a game from 15 years ago that a small percentage of people played and has had no real representation outside of cameos in Sega mini games and racing games since.

Most of the big kickstarter success stories aren't for sequels to specific games, and instead tend to be trying to appeal to an audience for a particular genre (exceptions like wasteland 2 being a sequel for example, but was being sold as a revitalisation of the WRPG rather than going on the strength of the IP itself)

Trying to appeal to that one small yet dedicated fanbase is never a sure thing, and I can understand completely why this was the method being chosen by the team.

For people saying Sony knew there was demand, sure, but if they wanted to be certain that the fans are still up for it, that they're willing to put their money where their mouth is, Kickstarter is a pretty good way. Plus, the people that backed it are getting the game, it's basically preordering but the money goes to the publisher/developer, and the backers get some extra stuff if they're up for it.

So far the game has been backed by 37 thousand people. Let's say it reaches 100k backers (unlikely), that doesn't constitute enough sales for the game to be a success. For people wondering why Sony didn't do the same with the new IPs (that have an aesthetic that caters more to the modern game consumer), this is the THIRD game in a series, the chance of a lot of people buying a third game when they haven't played the first two is not that big. And correct me if I'm wrong but the first two games didn't sell all that well. I really don't expect this game to be such a huge success for Sony.

I don't see why the lack of transparency is a problem lol, wow, huge corporations aren't being transparent from the get go and want to test out the market, welcome to the real world.

I really have a hard time taking these complaints seriously, it's like people refuse to be reasonable and shit for the sake of it. Did you even read half of these posts explaining to you in a very reasonable way why they did it this way?
The game is being made after FOURTEEN YEARS. No one wanted to make it now Sony is funding it. There was demand? By whom? The million people that bought the first game? I highly doubt it, but even if there was, FFVII sold ten times more and people have been begging for a remake for more than ten years and we're only getting it now, probably also thanks to Sony's money.

To be fair, I'm happy they did so. And I'm even more happy they took E3 stage to show this kickstarter. Although, I believe it is important for the kickstarter that they announce already if the funds are totally secured or if the game success still depends on that kickstarter.

KaoteK

I really really hope they would "abuse" like this us more to revive a lot of dead franchise. LOL the "abuse" consists of them funding the project and telling us about it after 24 hours.
QFT
If this is how we get games that the MBAs won't sign off on to be released, abuse away Sony (or anyone else who wants to take this route)

yoplay

No because it's not coming to the $500 box of metal and plastic that I'm emotionally invested in.

This game would not even exist right now without Sony. Every other Publisher including MS had 14 years to pick this game up but they all steered clear of it. Sony gives it the green light and for doing so they're now the scum of the Earth. This E3 has brought out the salt fersure. But I guess that's what happens when megatons go off. They leave trails of salt in their wake.

Damn. Hit the nail on the head. Im sure if Rare was available to pick up, Sony would have done so by now and had them pumping out AAA games. Pure fan service. They don't greenlight these games according to projected sales. They carve these niche games on the market (LBP, ICO/SotC?TLG, etc.) and it benefits the wide arrange of tastes their customers have.

duckroll

I wonder though. Wouldn't it be a full exclusive and announced as such if they were fully footing the bill ? I really believe that this kickstarter isn't only to gather reception from people but also building the game.

Adam Boyes made it very clear that Sony isn't funding the entire game. They're supportive of it, and want to help it happen, but it would have taken a long time to put together the resources needed to make the game because as a business they would have to do research and make justifications. Instead Yu Suzuki wanted to go ahead with a Kickstarter and they gave him the best platform to make the announcement. The project is moving forward because the Kickstarter is successful. Sony is providing funding and marketing support for the project, but this isn't their project.

Bl@de

People still mad? Cool story...GAF is disgusting sometimes.

Well, I hope someone comes along and abuses me with Wizardry, Silent Hills and other great neglected franchises. I have so much money to be ripped out of my hands :(

Adam Boyes made it very clear that Sony isn't funding the entire game. They're supportive of it, and want it help it happen, but it would have taken a long time to put together the resources needed to make the game because as a business they would have to do research and make justifications. Instead Yu Suzuki wanted to go ahead with a Kickstarter and they gave him the best platform to make the announcement. The project is moving forward because the Kickstarter is successful. Sony is providing funding and marketing support for the project, but this isn't their project.

Then people should be even more supportive ! Really, if people are so mad because Sony is providing help, this is just stupid. Some people right now feels like this kickstarter was just a ploy while it's not ! Sony just prodived coverage and some money, but it's far from being made.

Also, do you have a link on where he made it clear ? :eek:

DunpealD

Adam Boyes made it very clear that Sony isn't funding the entire game. They're supportive of it, and want it help it happen, but it would have taken a long time to put together the resources needed to make the game because as a business they would have to do research and make justifications. Instead Yu Suzuki wanted to go ahead with a Kickstarter and they gave him the best platform to make the announcement. The project is moving forward because the Kickstarter is successful. Sony is providing funding and marketing support for the project, but this isn't their project.

Sounds pretty much like SFV, sans Kickstarter. I wonder if Sega is also supplying funds.
Pretty ironic to see Shenmue 3 having a high chance becoming a reality, while Mega Man Legends 3 died a dogs death.

MaulerX

Exactly. I don't see this being a big budget game even with Sony funding. Even if it gets to 100k how many more people would buy this aside from us hardcores?

Top Bottom