• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

hal9001

Banned
Quite frankly, I'm appalled this is being defended so much. Just to be clear, I have never played one of these games, and won't be interested in picking this one up.

Jesus Christ. What the hell do you want then? Why do you care so much about it? Leave the fans that do care to have their game they have always wanted.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why would you care? That other people's money, not yours. Nobody force you spend your money. You can always buy the game later, after it's officially released, so you have a choice.

And, of course, it's unacceptable because you say so.

You keep rhetorically asking if people would be ok with this if it "wasn't shenmue" but seem to be ignoring when people reply that they would.

Welcome to reality guy. People seeks money to make more money. People spend money to satisfy their needs (meat,groceries,sugar,salt...) and after that to be happy (hobbys like gaming, sport cars...). It´s the wheel of capitalism (and the Maslow piramid).

What this method implies for the future is that niche dead IPs that publishers won't touch with a ten foot pole for over a decade will now have actually have a chance to being revived. Not spiritual sequels, but the actual original IP.

stop being selfish? this is only video games. stop treating it like a life or death situation.

any money i've given to kickstarter is between me and ys.net, the additional funding STILL isn't any of our concern despite your whining about it. if sony is going to support the game after the kickstarter, so be it. they aren't running the kickstarter and they aren't receiving any of the money.

shenmue 3 is a very unique case and you're blind if you can't see that.

This is the mentality that make people accepting powers' abuses, they always start small with things that people like... What can i say, if you are happy with this enjoy it.

To the people saying Sony has money - what are you talking about? This is a company that has to sell shares and buildings to get cash, a company that can only spare small change to buy 'exclusive' DLCs so that they at least can use the word 'exclusive' once in a while.

Why don't you direct your anger at MS, the company that used $2.5 billion to buy one mobile game? Like: "Why can't MS spend a little time to dig around in the couches at their offices? I'm sure they can easily find the $10 - $20 million needed to fund Shenmue 3. That way, we won't have to suffer this indignity of a Kickstarter."

I may or may not be serious

Kazaam

Sony has said that most of their games lose money. But the ones that do make money happen to do well enough to generate a net profit.

This is how big film studios work as well. They call the films that generate net profit poles or tent-pole films (as in tent poles that sustain the tent). That being said, I still don't understand what people are talking about? This is not a Sony project. Why would Sony fully fund it? I don't even know if they could...

Has anyone representing Sony said, directly, that they will be shelling out money money directly for the game to happen? Or they are going to help out with other things, such as marketing (which would cost money anyway)?

Adam Boyes said directly that Sony will be contributing some funding and helping with marketing.

Rymuth

Finally caught up. This was equal parts entertaining and aggravating to read (thanks to the usual suspects)

You know what's funny? For all you people who said Sony should do market research?

Phil Spencer said that Shenmue is THE most requested game on Xbox. And yet he did nothing to try and save it...or Banjo-Threeie for that matter...

Be happy for the fans we are able to get this game now, on PS4 OR PC.

terrier

This is the mentality that make people accepting powers' abuses, they always start small with things that people like... What can i say, if you are happy with this enjoy it.

because giving your money for a KS project with X conditions that you agree with is evil and leads to 'abuses'. lol

Oh you bet I will! I shed tears with the announcement and I'm a grown man!

"accepting powers' abuses"? Are you even listening to yourself? We are talking about a videogame kickstarter. You don't like the game or the way it's being funded then don't pledge!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well you certainly sound like an expert, feel free to tell yu suzuki that he was wrong and that moving shenmue to the dreamcast was simple.

This all comes from the post mortem, btw.
Calling me expert? Is this your best argument? Are you really arrived to this? I just made simple and plain calculations.

I have a feeling that even if everyone does this, people would mostly be okay with it. Most people just want to play games they like. They're willing to shell out money for the games they want. Some are willing to pay more than others. It's a free market. No one is being forced to Kickstart anything. Kickstarting something is not the only way to get a product. Those who aren't interested in contributing can sit it out and buy it when it is eventually released. Those not confident in the product can wait for reviews. If people are happy to blindly throw their money at something because they really want the concept to be made, that's their business. It's their money.

I understand, but they should have been clear since the beginning and it would have been even better for everyone, they would have funded it even faster, but if hiding something big like this this is permitted than everything can be hidden.

Krejlooc

Banned
I have a feeling that even if everyone does this, people would mostly be okay with it. Most people just want to play games they like. They're willing to shell out money for the games they want. Some are willing to pay more than others. It's a free market. No one is being forced to Kickstart anything. Kickstarting something is not the only way to get a product. Those who aren't interested in contributing can sit it out and buy it when it is eventually released. Those not confident in the product can wait for reviews. If people are happy to blindly throw their money at something because they really want the concept to be made, that's their business. It's their money.

Bingo. Hell I am all for this sort of thing going forward.

I would jump at the chance to kickstart panzer dragoon saga 2 as an example. Even if my $500 donation was being met with millions from sony.

GavinGT

Banned

Thanks, we'll enjoy it quite a lot. Yesterday was literally the highlight of my miserable life.

Who's abusing who? Kickstarter itself never had any problem with people seeking funding this way, and YuNet has been open about the whole deal when asked about it.
Should have they disclaimed it on the ks page? Yes, but it's not nearly abuse.

BloodR0se

Finally caught up. This was equal parts entertaining and aggravating to read (thanks to the usual suspects)

You know what's funny? For all you people who said Sony should do market research?

Phil Spencer said that Shenmue is THE most requested game on Xbox. And yet he did nothing to try and save it...or Banjo-Threeie for that matter...

Be happy for the fans we are able to get this game now, on PS4 OR PC.

Exactly. I'm happy to back this and I'm glad that Sony are supporting the project as well. If other people aren't happy with that then don't have to back it. Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything.

zeroOman

Quite frankly, I'm appalled this is being defended so much. Just to be clear, I have never played one of these games, and won't be interested in picking this one up.

I see a couple of arguments being used here, for this approach:
  • This game wouldn't happen unless it was for the Kickstarter.
    Well, that's not true. That's Sonys choice to partly fund the game if Kickstarter succeeds. Why wouldn't they just open an early pre-order system through PSN and include a cheaper price and say so much % of this pre-order will go to development. Then you'd get your goodies, your cheaper price. They'd also probably get more money over time.
  • This means dead franchises can come back with kickstarters
    Oh come on, if a new game under an old IP can raise 3 million in days then it's not dead is it. They obviously knew interest was apparent to even consider this approach.
  • Sony aren't getting any money from this
    What a load of shit, they have to spend money to distribute and publish this game. They need to see returns. I wouldn't be surprised if this kickstarter was for publishing costs and if they were met, then they fund development costs.
  • They don't know about the market
    This is the icing on the cake. How do all those multi-million business' cope now gauging their market without kickstarters? Poor, poor excuse. Take risks, you obviously know there's interest to even get up on a world stage and announce this.

For Sony, to get up on a world stage and announce a kickstarter for a game is arrogant and an appalling way of going about a IP revival. What impression does this give to other teams who want to do a similar thing? They'll be thinking "Oh, we'll have to raise X amount of money before Sony will give me anything."

Like I said in a point above, this should of been announced with an early-preorder scheme where money from the pre-order gets subsidized into development costs. Multi-million dollar companies should not be using Kickstarter.

U know that SEGA still own the game and they will get some money out of this + if u saw the video if ys u can tell he want to do it alone with no help from publisher....

Corto

We are talking about products/services that people are free to choose to fund/buy or not. We're not talking about civil rights protection. And in this case consumer rights are fully protected as the Kickstarter TOS is public and pretty detailed in saying that pledging on a KS project is not a guarantee of getting a final product at the end. Individual responsibility as in everything is paramount here. Each individual has to make his personal decision and own it.

Krejlooc

Banned
Calling me expert? Is this your best argument? Are you really arrived to this? I just made simple and plain calculations.

Actually my argument was that you come off as silly when you dismiss the man's assessment of his project's budget... By using an out of context quote from the man himself as an appeal to authority.

Kazaam

I understand, but they should have been clear since the beginning and it would have been even better for everyone, they would have funded it even faster, but if hiding something big like this this is permitted than everything can be hidden.

So you're complaint is that, because "they hid" this, they didn't get funded fast enough?

BloodR0se

Thanks, we'll enjoy it quite a lot. Yesterday was literally the highlight of my miserable life.

Exactly. On Monday I saw gameplay footage from Fallout 4 and The Last Guardian but this was the project that excited me the most. As a result, I showed my support and offered $29 for a pre-order. I don't have a problem with that (in fact I'm quite happy about it) and I can't understand why anybody else might have a problem with it either.

Yes, Sony did this because they're desperate for $2mil that doesn't even go to them.

But please, enlighten us with your industry insider experience and knowledge.

Are we pretending that no one on Neogaf has worked in the gaming industry, or that there's no such thing as market research?

And let's be real. Open world games are created all the time today. The Witcher 3 just found more success as the third entry to a series than the prior installments. What is the real and horrifying risk with bringing back one of the most beloved franchises as an exclusive console move?

Yes, Kickstarter is fun, but let's not pretend this is just to gauge interest, it's years of interest on millions of dollars to prove what they already knew from research, Internet response, similar game performance in the market, etc. Its fine, it's fun to show support and this is becoming the new normal, it's just interesting to see so many replies say that this was the only way Sony could gauge interest. It's trendy and profitable more than anything imo.

duckroll

But why does it even matter now when they have disclosed it while the Kickstarter is still running? The campaign is far from over, no one has been charged for it yet. If anyone is unhappy about this point, they can still pull out, they can still voice their concerns directly to the people running the campaign. There is communication going on. What is being "hidden" exactly?

If they waited for the Kickstarter to end, take everyone's money, and then disclose stuff like this, I would completely agree that it is very questionable. But as it is, right now it is a non-issue. No one is being abused, taken advantage of, or lied to.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I know it's been mentioned, but worth bringing up. It's been said multiple times Shenmue 3 is happening because fans want it to happen. Those that support the Kickstarter are the ones who really want Shenmue to happen, and provides an easy way to send surveys, collect information from core demographic, and help develop the game from fan interaction, instead of just asking the internet and the 'general' opinion, as Shenmue is a bit more niche and focused thing not going for mass appeal.

I feel a lot of people are being upset simply because of a knee-jerk reaction than anything substantial. There's nothing hidden or scummy about this, they're being completely honest and showing their cards as the Kickstarter is going.

Corto

Are we pretending that no one on Neogaf has worked in the gaming industry, or that there's no such thing as market research?

And let's be real. Open world games are created all the time today. The Witcher 3 just found more success as the third entry to a series than the prior installments. What is the real and horrifying risk with bringing back one of the most beloved franchises as an exclusive console move?

Yes, Kickstarter is fun, but let's not pretend this is just to gauge interest, it's years of interest on millions of dollars to prove what they already knew from research, Internet response, similar game performance in the market, etc.

Then why wasn't this game made possible before? I will caricaturize a bit here but publishers should then be throwing money at Yu or Sega for the privilege of having Shenmue 3 on their Label/Platform. But reality completely denies what you are saying. Of course Sony was making and educated and supported by internal research risk move. But there was inherent risk. And high enough that prevented this game from coming to fruition for 14 whole years.

BloodR0se

Yes, Kickstarter is fun, but let's not pretend this is just to gauge interest, it's years of interest on millions of dollars to prove what they already knew from research, Internet response, similar game performance in the market, etc.

And are we going to pretend that Sega didn't do any market research before they let Yu Suzuki go balls out with $48m on the first Shenmue?

If I created a thread today and asked if people would like to see a new online multiplayer Powerstone game for PS4 and XB1 then I would bet that a lot of the internet would say yes. Turning a profit from internet hype is a different story entirely though. Sony and Yu Suzuki invited the community to vote with their wallets and the response was a resounding yes.

In fact, this could financially affect both Y's Net and Sony when the game launches because I very much doubt that the RRP on the PlayStation Store will only be $29.

terrier

But why does it even matter now when they have disclosed it while the Kickstarter is still running? The campaign is far from over, no one has been charged for it yet. If anyone is unhappy about this point, they can still pull out, they can still voice their concerns directly to the people running the campaign. There is communication going on. What is being "hidden" exactly?

If they waited for the Kickstarter to end, take everyone's money, and then disclose stuff like this, I would completely agree that it is very questionable. But as it is, right now it is a non-issue. No one is being abused, taken advantage of, or lied to.

I also would like to know this. I didn't watch the conference, but from what i read everything seems quite simple : gets funded- (2million)-> game for ps4 and pc with financial support from sony

Krejlooc

Banned
And are we going to pretend that Sega didn't do any market research before they let Yu Suzuki go balls out with $48m on the first Shenmue?

If I created a thread today and asked if people would like to see a new online multiplayer Powerstone game for PS4 and XB1 then I would bet that a lot of the internet would say yes. Turning a profit from internet hype is a different story entirely though. Sony and Yu Suzuki invited the community to vote with their wallets and the response was a resounding yes.

In fact, this could financially affect both Y's Net and Sony when the game launches because I very much doubt that the RRP on the PlayStation Store will only be $29.

Good cautionary tale on following internet hype - remember when "snakes on a plane" was going to be a big deal?

I don't see the problem with this approach

I'm picking up the game for £20 up front

Rather than £40 in a few years time.

Happy to back through kickstarter

openrob

I just want to say I am extremely happy about the news.

The better the game can be the happier I am. I really do not care how that happens. I understand it sets bad precedent - but this is SHENMUE 3!

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont see how its abuse when people are willingly and happily paying for the game (or whatever product it might be). Yesterday, someone said that holding a kickstarter campaign if publishers/developers could afford it, that this was the same as extortion, because "if the fund limit isnt reached, the game wont be made". If people are wanting to pay and are happy about it, it got nothing to do with extortion or anything like that. We cant demand that developers/publishers make games for us even if they can afford it. Its fair enough to disagree with business practices though.

Its also important to remember that those crowd funding campaigns arent asking for money simply to fund the project. It works more like pre-ordering. For Shenmue 3, you can pay $29 for the game, and that is concidered as funding. When the game hits retail, it will probably be around $29 anyway.

duckroll

The real abuse here is that after all this time, getting shat on and laughed at by every other fanbase for not getting a continuation of their series, Shenmue fans finally get the game they've wanted all this time, and people are STILL telling them that they shouldn't have it. Because reasons. I feel bad for them!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I look at it is like this:

Shenmue 3 has been looking for publishers and a method of funding for years. Obviously no one has taken to the plate, probably as, "No one remembers Shenmue," "It's only wanted from a vocal minority," "Financial loss," etc.

Sony heard the fans, but like many others probably was hesitant to put millions of dollars here, so to prove investment, it's asked for fans to "Put their money where their mouth is," which is probably the only way Shenmue 3 was going to show there were people who'd actually buy the thing rather than taking a blind risk worth millions of dollars.

Fans gets the game for a cheaper-than-retail price and get to be involved in active development and feedback of the game, as well as get goodies. Yu gets to have data that fans will support Shenmue and gets a platform to interact with his core fan base more closely. Sony gets sales date and 'proof' of worth to be able to put some funding into it.

There literally is no lose here for anyone involved, they're even being transparent of this fact in less than 24 hours since the Kickstarter launched, no money has been taken yet and there's plenty of weeks to think on it and let people who want to be part be part. The only people that are upset are those that want to be upset or take issue asking, "What's the point, this feels slimey," not knowing the purpose of the term "Kickstarter" and not understanding why Sony, 'couldn't just fund it themselves.' It's not couldn't here, it's wouldn't, because there is very slim chance this game will sell like hotcakes, and they know that, this is likely going to be coming up as a loss for them, BUT it allows something fans really want to happen, and allows fans to both be more directly involved AND put their money where their mouth is to support and prove there's interest, while getting goodies and lower prices for those who want them and want to support.

This wouldn't work with every game, but it makes sense for Shenmue 3, and if they didn't do it this way, then it'd probably wouldn't happen. It's also probably the smartest way to tackle, "Shenmue 3", honestly, rather than making it hush-hush anyways. Shenmue 3 is happening because of fan demand, so get the fans involved, and those involved can help leave feedback and relay stuff directly to the creators and the team, as well as answer questions the team wants to know about going forward with the fans.

fedexpeon

Banned
Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken, but in the case is not... yeah let's accept all those unacceptable things because Shenmue 3 is being done!

I am not.
You love talking about abusive of power, human right, and the weakness of humanity to accept authority.

But why waste your time on a gaming message board to discuss about these topics?
If you are so concern about protecting the right of consumer against the corporate overlord, at least go to Facebook and message to Sony on why you believe they are abusing and exploiting fans emotion.

You also need to understand that the best thing about freedom and free will is that other can decide to watch the world burn instead, just like how other wants to throw money to Sony's Shenmue shilling project.

kmax

I honestly don't understand some of the outrage. Shenmue should be dead and buried, and it simply doesn't happen that another publisher bothers with another ones's long dead IP in this way. This move is unprecedented. The fact of the matter is that initially, it was only Suzuki and us the fans that have wanted this game for years. Sega has long abandoned this franchise and switched focus to mobile. Sony noticed the fan cult and thought that the kickstarter would be a good way to gauge whether it was all just hype, or whether the fans would turn up and be there if they had a chance to make it come to life.

Now, we're finally getting Shenmue 3, and I couldn't be fucking happier.

Krejlooc

Banned
The real abuse here is that after all this time, getting shat on and laughed at by every other fanbase for not getting a continuation of their series, Shenmue fans finally get the game they've wanted all this time, and people are STILL telling them that they shouldn't have it. Because reasons. I feel bad for them!

Watching "the voice of the people" demand Shenmue III yesterday was probably one of the happiest gaming moments of my life. The moment Yu Suzuki said "The fate of Shenmue is in your hands" I knew this was in the bag.

People bitching about shenmue III don't phase me one bit. They're just a vocal minority anyways ;)

Top Bottom