• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

Well, paying for a game which has the backing of a major publisher over 18 months early does, sure. This very forum had many people campaigning against pre-orders.

I realise that Kickstarter is aimed at unknown games and so it is different, but if Sony were planning on backing this game all along (no way would they have put it in the E3 conference if they didn't - don't try to tell me otherwise) then there is absolutely no need for this Kickstarter.

I'm in the team "everybody is free to spend their money whatever they want"
I'm not against preorder either, I personally preorder games to show support if I think it's worth it.

I don't like people who tell me how I have to manage my money. If I want burn them, let me do it.
I would even donate money to Suzuki, without receive nothing in exchange.
Sony don't publish the game, so they won't fund it at 100%. With Kickstarter you're giving money to Suzuki and his team.
If Sony published the game it would have be a first party release, only on PS4 (no PC then). Instead they're providing help, just like Street Fighter V.
In exchange they had Shenmue at E3 and console exclusivity. Seems fair to me.

Well, hey, SFV wouldn't happen without Sony's investment, right? So by that logic, there clearly isn't as much hunger for a new SF game because Capcom don't have enough faith to produce it. Why not Kickstart that game?

> Street fighter hasn't been dead for 14 years.

> It was/is up to capcom to do with as they please

> Is different from this situation because Sony said "hey, we know you aren't ready to release a new SF, how about if we go halfsies in with you?!"

Quite frankly, I'm appalled this is being defended so much. Just to be clear, I have never played one of these games, and won't be interested in picking this one up.

I see a couple of arguments being used here, for this approach:
  • This game wouldn't happen unless it was for the Kickstarter.
    Well, that's not true. That's Sonys choice to partly fund the game if Kickstarter succeeds. Why wouldn't they just open an early pre-order system through PSN and include a cheaper price and say so much % of this pre-order will go to development. Then you'd get your goodies, your cheaper price. They'd also probably get more money over time.
  • This means dead franchises can come back with kickstarters
    Oh come on, if a new game under an old IP can raise 3 million in days then it's not dead is it. They obviously knew interest was apparent to even consider this approach.
  • Sony aren't getting any money from this
    What a load of shit, they have to spend money to distribute and publish this game. They need to see returns. I wouldn't be surprised if this kickstarter was for publishing costs and if they were met, then they fund development costs.
  • They don't know about the market
    This is the icing on the cake. How do all those multi-million business' cope now gauging their market without kickstarters? Poor, poor excuse. Take risks, you obviously know there's interest to even get up on a world stage and announce this.

For Sony, to get up on a world stage and announce a kickstarter for a game is arrogant and an appalling way of going about a IP revival. What impression does this give to other teams who want to do a similar thing? They'll be thinking "Oh, we'll have to raise X amount of money before Sony will give me anything."

Like I said in a point above, this should of been announced with an early-preorder scheme where money from the pre-order gets subsidized into development costs. Multi-million dollar companies should not be using Kickstarter.

It's Sony 3rd Party Production that this helping. Something tells me this branch doesn't have much money to use. Really, I wouldn't be surprised if the help was below 10 millions because otherwise, you can bet it would've been an exclusive. The base goal was 2 millions but it was to see if interest was here. I doubt they are waiting for 2 millions and I wouldn't be surprised if they expect at least a 10 million funding from Kickstarter to get the game on the right way.

Corto

I'm not denying that. But why include it in your E3 conference if you had no intention of getting behind it unless it does well at Kickstarter level? They wouldn't.

Having a game on a E3 conference is invaluable in terms of media exposition. That in and of itself ensure an overwhelming response to the Kickstarter campaign.

prwxv3

Please explain to me how this is any different from them investing in, say, Horizon: Zero Dawn as an example?

Wat. That game does not have 14 years of financial infamy.

I can't believe that there are actual arguments that argue that the kickstarter would obviously be a success and Sony knew it. It's insulting to shenmue fans that were told it would be impossible for years and that even a kickstarter would be a failure. Cut the bullshit and admit you were wrong. Face it Sony took a insane risk on betting on the success of the kickstarter. They would have looked like massive assholes if it did not succeed and did not invest in the game after promoting the kickstarter in their press conference. But some people in Sonny belived in it and here we are.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
big fan of this approach.
this is just one step more to a closer relationship between the real people and the once behemoth monolitic black hole organization.

sony made such a turnarround in recent years.

edit: oh wow, the amount of butthurt people in here is astounding...

MaxiLive

I see a couple of arguments being used here, for this approach:
  • This game wouldn't happen unless it was for the Kickstarter.
    Well, that's not true. That's Sonys choice to partly fund the game if Kickstarter succeeds. Why wouldn't they just open an early pre-order system through PSN and include a cheaper price and say so much % of this pre-order will go to development. Then you'd get your goodies, your cheaper price. They'd also probably get more money over time.
    Because that is the exact same as what Kickstarter is doing just on a private platform meaning PC gamers wouldn't be able to invest in the franchise. When you Kickstart you are just pre-ordering the game, that is it. You can donate more towards a project if you want but most people are just pre-ordering the game 2-3 years before release.
  • This means dead franchises can come back with kickstarters
    Oh come on, if a new game under an old IP can raise 3 million in days then it's not dead is it. They obviously knew interest was apparent to even consider this approach.
    Shenmue was dead, Yu Suzuki has been trying to get a publisher to pick up the game for years but it is such an unknown no one would be willing to invest in it which is why crowd funding has become so successful for games in recent years as it shows the numbers to publishers/investors.
  • Sony aren't getting any money from this
    What a load of shit, they have to spend money to distribute and publish this game. They need to see returns. I wouldn't be surprised if this kickstarter was for publishing costs and if they were met, then they fund development costs.
    Sony won't be taking any money from the Kickstarter and will probably be investing a couple of millions themselves over the next few years. They will be taking their 20-30% sales tax when it hits PSN and probably some clauses in the contract that grant them 5-10% of PC sales depending on how much they have invested. But from the initial Kickstarter they ain't going to be making a penny, it isn't how business works.
  • They don't know about the market
    This is the icing on the cake. How do all those multi-million business' cope now gauging their market without kickstarters? Poor, poor excuse. Take risks, you obviously know there's interest to even get up on a world stage and announce this.
    Companies can't afford to take $10-20 million risks these days look at how many game studios are closing or downsizing due to one misfire of a game that has been in production for 3 years. This is multiplied 10x when it comes to an old IP that may or may not have any following. This is why you see Castlevania, Banjo Kazooie, Mega Man and ToeJam clones all being made by their original creators popping up on Kickstarter as they can't get the funding from elsewhere.

Like I said in a point above, this should of been announced with an early-preorder scheme where money from the pre-order gets subsidized into development costs. Multi-million dollar companies should not be using Kickstarter.

Final point would be this is still a 3rd party title not a 1st party so this isn't Sony's game to fund outright. They will be offering the team assistance with tech, a bit of funding and then the marketing + distribution side of things.

Well, hey, SFV wouldn't happen without Sony's investment, right? So by that logic, there clearly isn't as much hunger for a new SF game because Capcom don't have enough faith to produce it. Why not Kickstart that game?

The last SF was not 14 years ago and it also sold a good amount
Sony also does not own the IP.
Also capcom has some money they just rather put it in mobile than SF for the next few years.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I wonder what SEGA cut will be as they still own the ip and there is no chance they are doing this for free.
zGhPYhu.png

but seems like they put zero dollar into this while Sony is the one that will do the most of the funding, how much Sony/Yu paid for the use of the license or if SEGA asked that they get some % of the profit.

also SEGA need to do this more often with some other of their dead IPs.

terrier

This is the main point that is a win for all gamers. And those still angry are clearly not being transparent that it is their platform preference driving most of the anger.

People asking for 'transparency' should act the same way too: It is obvious as fuck who is angry and why', but they act like if this is some kind of offense to human rights or something insted of being transparent and say that it is because the game is not for thir console of choice.

leroidys

The consumer in this case is a patron not a stakeholder. There won't be any return to the patrons besides the game coming to fruition. And even that is not 100% ensured. A kickstarter is not a guarantee of a final product.

edit: Sony involvement though makes it an almost guarantee. So that's another benefit of Sony footing in some money to this.

No, stakeholder is appropriate IMO. In this case the return is playing the game rather than money, but there is definitely risk involved. It's not purely transactional. People fund games for disparate reasons- to be part of the legacy, to give series/genres they love wider exposure, to gain backer goods, etc.

Spades

I can't believe that there are actual arguments that argue that the kickstarter would obviously be a success and Sony knew it.

If they knew it, why even bother with a KS in the first place?

If it's the Nice Guy Sony story you want, then why not just announce that Sony is helping develop and publish fan-favourite Shenmue 3 without any of the KS BS?

I don't see why people are making a huge issue about transparency. The two largest Kickstarters prior to Shenmue III utilized Kickstarter in the same fashion.

For Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - it's mentioned plain as day in the Kickstarter video that they have "found partners willing to support us with funding if we can prove a demand for this style of game."

Yooka-Laylee, within their Kickstarter video, says that without the Kickstarter - it'll be a project living within it's budget. They say "Kickstarter is important for us because it means we're going to be able to expand the game beyond the initial vision, and add a lot more depth and features... and support for further platforms as well."

Compare that to Sony who says "Now recently a developer told us they were bringing back a fan favorite Kickstarter to PC & PS4. Now this is very much their project, but we wanted to celebrate their announcement on our stage..." proceeded by showing the Kickstarter video which mentions nothing about outsider funding of any sort. They don't mention the fact that it's very much both of their projects, and that they're actually utilizing Kickstarter as a means of gauging interest and subsidizing development until the initiative had already drawn in nearly $2 million dollars. It's mentioned in some E3 interview, and is still not mentioned on the Kickstarter page.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a multi-billion dollar corporation utilizing crowd funding as a benchmark for interest and a development cost subsidy. But they should be up front about it, like numerous Kickstarters in the past have done. I don't see why people are getting bent out of shape about these methods being put on blast. You can be excited about Shenmue III, be appreciative of Sony's efforts making the game a possibility and not be a fan of how the process was handled. What's wrong with holding that position?

Again, the onus was not on Sony. Sony is the one who present the kicstarter page.

It is the same with the other kickstarter pages that are also made by the visible dev and not the unnamed partners. And if you are going to talk about transparency as if there is a comparison then answer me a few questions.

For Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night- Who are the partners and by fund what is the exact amount?

For Yooka-Laylee - what do they mean by expand? What platforms exactly are they targeting? Do they have partners or a company that will agree to additional funding if they hit a desired amount?

Again, that is mentioning something but not complete transparency and the onus is not on the partners who are gauging interest because they aren't the ones creating these pledge pages. If you really wanted to question someone then Sony shouldn't be where this request for transparency is aimed. Never before have people aimed the complaints about transparency in a kickstarter to the funders (named or unnamed) who agreed to provide additional support if pledge is met. Imo, that speaks volumes about these current complaints levied against Sony.

No, stakeholder is appropriate IMO. In this case the return is playing the game rather than money, but there is definitely risk involved. It's not purely transactional. People fund games for disparate reasons- to be part of the legacy, to give series/genres they love wider exposure, to gain backer goods, etc.

No it is not. A stakeholder in a company needs to be interested in a business as a whole. Someone who pledges in a Kickstarter needs to only be concerned with the pledge agreement. So whether the game is funded fully by a third party company, whether or not it is a success in the market, non of that should matter to a pledge holder as long as they received what was promised to them.

leroidys

Again, the onus was not on Sony. Sony is the one who present the kicstarter page.

It is the same with the other kickstarter pages that are also made by the visible dev and not the unnamed partners. And if you are going to talk about transparency as if there is a comparison then answer me a few questions.

For Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night- Who are the partners and by fund what is the exact amount?

For Yooka-Laylee - what do they mean by expand? What platforms exactly are they targeting? Do they have partners or a company that will agree to additional funding if they hit a desired amount?

Again, that is mentioning something but not complete transparency and the onus is not on the partners who are gauging interest because they aren't the ones creating these pledge pages. If you really wanted to question someone then Sony shouldn't be where this request for transparency is aimed. Never before have people aimed the complaints about transparency in a kickstarter to the funders (named or unnamed) who agreed to provide additional support if pledge is met. Imo, that speaks volumes about these current complaints levied against Sony.

Those are definitely a good points. To add to that, for all we know Ysnet could have specifically left out mention of Sony for their own purposes. Any ire directed at a specific company is probably premature at this point.

I'm not denying that. But why include it in your E3 conference if you had no intention of getting behind it unless it does well at Kickstarter level? They wouldn't.

I never doubted they intend to fund some amount even if it's just for goodwill. However, it also wouldn't make any sense for them to just cut a blank check of whatever amount (my post from the last page.) The kickstarter could be there for them to determine how much capital to dump in. Whether it is just a million or a hundred million. You don't think Sony wouldn hold back on their investment if the kickstarter end up barely reaching the 2mil?

Corto

Maybe SEGA will jump back on the bandwagon now, too!

What I think and hope will happen is that Sega will release Shenmue and Shenmue 2 HD ports in preparation for this game release. It would benefit everyone and Sega would have a sure thing cash in with this strategy.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is borderline fraudulent, i wonder what people defending this would say if this was not Shenmue 3 but a new ip.

It's not bad that sony gives its help, it's bad that sony was already interested in this and used the kickstarter and the money of the fans to measure the interest.

Sony's wording on stage was weird, it's still Yu's project, and as for transparency they should have disclaimed it on the KS page but they are being very much so when asked about it.
People casually throwing capitalist accusations should probably look at the context you're discussing, talking about shit when you're already mired on it way before this conversation started. You aren't mad at what Sony did, you're mad that Shenmue isn't your special pet project with no "big pharma" attached to it
The stakeholder term is such a broad umbrella nowadays it loses any usefulness .

leeh

Final point would be this is still a 3rd party title not a 1st party so this isn't Sony's game to fund outright. They will be offering the team assistance with tech, a bit of funding and then the marketing + distribution side of things.
I don't care what team is looking after it internally, budget wise, the gaming division will get so much, they can move money around as they please.

It was announced at Sony's E3, under Sony's banner and wing, it's console exclusive. It shouldn't be needing a kickstarter when you've got a multi-million dollar company as the primary stakeholder. It's a bad message to give at E3, with a bad impression to other teams.

If they wanted money, have early pre-order through PSN. Don't give it the "this will only get made if you donate $2m", that's a horrible message to any team looking to revive old IP.

Look at Sunset Overdrive, a new IP which they let them keep and primarily funded. This situation is arrogant.

Sorry Sony, I had a lot of respect for you after the PS4 launch and how good and successful it was. Now I don't.

This is borderline fraudulent, i wonder what people defending this would say if this was not Shenmue 3 but a new ip.

It's not bad that sony give their help, it's bad that the kickstarter and the money of the fans were used to measure the interest.

I hope you don't live in product test markets.

I know but 3 mill is a an easy avoid bad publicity write off . But this issue is way murkier ... The point I was making is if sony did an "evil " thing and were testig the waters ... It's super easy to look like the "good" company . Just refund everyone and still give them what they paid for etc ... The point is many ppl think it's okay . I personally thinks what they did was perfectly fine .. This was more directed to the ppl "outraged" that sony used ks to help fund this .

Most of the people outraged are probably just those folks that are bitter they won't get to play this on their console of choice. It will all blow over.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I hope you don't live in product test markets.

Kickstarters rules states that everything should be clear, if the kicstarter said clearly that with 2 millions sony would have helped it would have been even better and i'm sure that it would have raised those money even faster, but the way they did this? It ws very opaque and not fair.

The fact that people likes Shenmue and sony doesn't justify the method, giving what people wants is exactly the way fraudulent or unfair things are introduced(for example the patr act with the promise of security)

leroidys

No it is not. A stakeholder in a company needs to be interested in a business as a whole. Someone who pledges in a Kickstarter needs to only be concerned with the pledge agreement. So whether the game is funded fully by a third party company, whether or not it is a success in the market, non of that should matter to a pledge holder as long as they received what was promised to them.

I'd feel much more confident pledging $60 towards a game if sony was backing it than if they were getting their extra funding from horse races. Every kickstarter I've ever backed has been at a physical/digital good tier, and I would not fund them if I wasn't reasonably sure that I would actually get my return from it.

Sony's wording on stage was weird, it's still Yu's project, and as for transparency they should have disclaimed it on the KS page but they are being very much so when asked about it.
People casually throwing capitalist accusations should probably look at the context you're discussing, talking about shit when you're already mired on it way before this conversation started. You aren't mad at what Sony did, you're mad that Shenmue isn't your special pet project with no "big pharma" attached to it

The stakeholder term is such a broad umbrella nowadays it loses any usefulness .

It is a broad term, but it has specific utility in this specific conversation. I don't see what the issue is.

Mendax

In this thread: a sequel to a really old series finally gets made, but people are bitching.

I guess this is why some outsiders view neogaf in bad light.

bro, it's the outsiders that are bitching.

And this bitching is nothing compared to what is going on at twitch and youtube comments. and even facebook and twitter. (especially at cod)

But Sony isn't using Kickstarter - Yu Suzuki and YS.Net is?

Kickstarters rules states that everything should be clear, if the kicstarter said clearly that with 2 millions sony would have helped it would have been even better and i'm sure that it would have raised those money even faster, but the way they did this? It ws very opaque and not fair.

The fact that people likes Shenmue and sony doesn't justify the method, giving what people wants is exactly the way fraudulent or unfair things are introduced(for example the patr act with the promise of security)

Not fair for who?. Don´t pledge if you don´t want or cancel your pledge if you ever did it. The thing is we have Shenmue 3! (and people have even the option to get it for 29$ -plus interests,LOL-).

dumbo

If it's the Nice Guy Sony story you want, then why not just announce that Sony is helping develop and publish fan-favourite Shenmue 3 without any of the KS BS?

You're assuming that Sony wanted the kickstarter:
- I seem to remember that Sony stated that the developer wanted the kickstarter.
- obviously Sega are also getting something out of this (and/or putting something in).

Personally I would suspect that we're seeing the external effects of a weird Japanese political deal involving Sega, the developer and Sony.

Spaghetti

this this this this this this this this this

i don't know why people can't grasp this. the kickstarter is 100% YS.net and that's where 100% of the money is going.

any funding outside the kickstarter is not our concern. there's nothing scummy and underhanded about providing additional funding once a kickstarter has proved significant interest.

bro, it's the outsiders that are bitching.

And this bitching is nothing compared to what is going on at twitch and youtube comments. and even facebook and twitter. (especially at cod)

They're gaffers though...... (^ ^);

And oh my at what's going on outside. I don't want to know. (Yes I do. *goes to have a look*)

I don't care what team is looking after it internally, budget wise, the gaming division will get so much, they can move money around as they please.

It was announced at Sony's E3, under Sony's banner and wing, it's console exclusive. It shouldn't be needing a kickstarter when you've got a multi-million dollar company as the primary stakeholder. It's a bad message to give at E3, with a bad impression to other teams.

If they wanted money, have early pre-order through PSN. Don't give it the "this will only get made if you donate $2m", that's a horrible message to any team looking to revive old IP.

Look at Sunset Overdrive, a new IP which they let them keep and primarily funded. This situation is arrogant.

Sorry Sony, I had a lot of respect for you after the PS4 launch and how good and successful it was. Now I don't.

You know what a balance sheet is?. In the passive you have the funding, Sony is a financier between many, and kickstarter another. The shareholders are Ys.net owners, and Ys.net in their behalf is which looks for the money in the several financial sources (if the shareholders capital is not enough, that usually never is). You know, economy and business.

It may have benn posted but it's relevant to this thread so...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=168599057&posted=1#post168599057
Still one big problem to take care : Sega. For years, the company refused to develop a sequel to Shenmue who ended up a financial fiasco on Dreamcast but they didn't want to give or sell the brand either. Biscay doesnt give details but he points that " Sega still holds the rights and accepted the project and the partners ".

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

this this this this this this this this this

i don't know why people can't grasp this. the kickstarter is 100% YS.net and that's where 100% of the money is going.

any funding outside the kickstarter is not our concern. there's nothing scummy and underhanded about providing additional funding once a kickstarter has proved significant interest.
Open your eyes!
Shenmue 1 alone costed $47 million and is still one of the most expensive games ever, now for Shenmue 3 2 millions are enough? Please....

Not fair for who?. Don´t pledge if you don´t want or cancel your pledge if you ever did it. The thing is we have Shenmue 3! (and people have even the option to get it for 29$ -plus interests,LOL-).

I hope you'll be ok with big companies full of money funding their projects with people's money.

And again what if this wasn't Shenmue 3?

They crunched the numbers and couldn't figure a way to make money so they backed out. I think that a lot of people at Sony were in the same boat, but there are a number of Suzuki Yu backers who had enough leverage to give the Kickstarter a chance. The Kickstarter then is as much a way to convince the Sony doubters as it was to help fund the game. This would certainly help explain why Boyes was so careful to avoid attaching Sony to the project.

So basically Sony were smarter in how they did it -- I see absolutely no reason why anyone should have any qualms with it. No one forced you to back the project either, they've expedited the conclusion of this trilogy and i'm just happy it's being made.

I just hope there's a HD collection of Shenmue I & II released before this game, i'd play them and it'd be the perfect time to.

How much will it cost today to make Shenmue 3? Considering that they will be using an existant game engine (such as Unreal) and the fact that they are charging "just 30 bucks" for the game, it doesn't feel that it will be a very expensive game to make (at least nowhere as near what the original did).

I'd feel much more confident pledging $60 towards a game if sony was backing it than if they were getting their extra funding from horse races. Every kickstarter I've ever backed has been at a physical/digital good tier, and I would not fund them if I wasn't reasonably sure that I would actually get my return from it.

That is probably why they left Sony out as to not give the wrong impression. Again Sony is simply helping this is not Sony fully funded project. If it was, there would not have been a kickstarter. The IP is still Sega's and this seems to be a collaborative effort then one company taking the lead.

terrier

I will quote you from another thread:
People want new original IP from XXX what looks great, gets announced, people aren't happy. I just don't get the internet.

A game that nobody in the industry cared about for more than a decade gets the chance to be made and people get angry. I just don't get the internet.

You or me do not decide if ithe game needed KS, or if it didn't. The ones making the game do.
The game gets announced at Sony e3 conference, they say that if funded, the game is made, obviously with some kind of exclusivity since they also put money ther.Simple.Plain. No arrgoance or whaterver. Obviously they respect KS terms so there is no FUCKING problem at all. Do you want the game?

So someone let me know if I got this right:

1. Sony was going to fund Shenmue anyway.
2. The kickstarter money was just to pay for Suzuki and Shu's E3 dinner tab.
3. If we all withdraw our pledge now, Shenmue would be made anyway.
4. Since it's going to be made anyway, the kickstarter can go ahead and fail.
5. We still get shenmue 3.

GavinGT

Banned
If you people screw this up for me I'll never be able to forgive you.

I really hope this garbage doesn't overshadow the news of the game itself.

So someone let me know if I got this right:

1. Sony was going to fund Shenmue anyway.
2. The kickstarter money was just to pay for Suzuki and Shu's E3 dinner tab.
3. If we all withdraw our pledge now, Shenmue would be made anyway.
4. Since it's going to be made anyway, the kickstarter can go ahead and fail.
5. We still get shenmue 3.

1. Are Sony actually going to fund anything? Or just help along?
3. I hope we don't find out.
4. Same as 3.

Wow people are actually acting offended by this? Get over yourselves. Sony knew what fans wanted and gave it to us, the amount of hype that announcement generated made the kickstarter break records and just having that moment in the conference was just magic and is what gaming is all about, feeling that excitement.

The details have been explained to us and the game is coming, to get upset about this is just ridiculous.

Top Bottom