• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The real abuse here is that after all this time, getting shat on and laughed at by every other fanbase for not getting a continuation of their series, Shenmue fans finally get the game they've wanted all this time, and people are STILL telling them that they shouldn't have it. Because reasons. I feel bad for them!

LOL!

Its not a question about needing the money in many of these cases though, its more a question about risking money. Many games dont get localized for example, eventhough that the companies clearly have the money to do it. Nintendo could easily afford to localize Mother 3 just to take one example of a sought after game, but they wont do it. They dont do it because they dont think its worth it.

Microsoft announced the early access program for Xbox One at this E3.

EA is far from the same.

I don't think your point about risk really changes anything. I think it was clear from the outset that this was planned to exactly the way it did. I think the staged announcement and console exclusivity pretty much let us know that Sony had a direct hand. The timing of the announcement, after kickstarter funds are raised, is just not merely coincidental timing or the product of sony's wait and see.

I don't even have a problem with it personally.

Yeah what the actual fuck, Sony just got people to foot a chunk of the bill for them out of hype. Honestly they were probably never going to not fund it.

Yep, clearly they wanted to wait FOURTEEN YEARS for the right time....

This thread is absolutely astounding.

Yeah what the actual fuck, Sony just got people to foot a chunk of the bill for them out of hype. Honestly they were probably never going to not fund it.

This isn't a Sony game. We're footing the bill for Ys Net and Sony is acting as an outside investor (something not unique to big name kickstarters btw). Not to mention Kickstarter is an avenue to pre-order the game at half price.

Akronis

I think it's fair to prefer more options to play a game. It would be awesome if this was PS4/PC/Xbox One on day one so that everyone could check it out wherever they prefer to game. Depending on what kind of technical demands the game has, I'd probably open it up further to say that it'd be great if last gen was included. Hell, port it to DC so I can have a complete trilogy there! (I promise that I'm not trying to be snarky there. That is a little facetious, but I'm mostly being sincere).

The main issue I have -- and it's an issue that I have with a lot of topics -- is that it's impossible to separate the circumstances of individual examples like this from the broader console wars for many, many people. And garbage posts exists from both sides. An example of a garbage post critical of the move would just be lazily calling out a strawman to say something like "Oh, this is ok, but I bet everyone would be losing their shit if MS had done this." An example of a garbage post defensive of this move would be the people calling out salty haters when there are in fact people that just -- even if they haven't formulated a complete argument as to why -- have genuine reservations about how they perceive the role of Kickstarter in game development as it relates to this game. "Bet you'd be ok with this if MS was involved" is just as much a crap post as the other strawman variation I cited.

Honestly, to some extent, I do think that there's a conversation worth having about both crowdfunding AND first party funding. But it's always just so difficult to have that conversation in the midst of emotions being charged when we are right in the midst of the big story happening. For my own part, my stance is borne out of trying to keep things simple. I'm not a lawyer and I don't really like engaging in rhetorical battles where there's a ton of technical minutiae to wade through and semantic distinctions being cited everywhere. We're in the early days (relatively speaking) of crowdfunding. I'm mostly ok with how it's being used, and am content to take a wait and see approach in terms of the slippery slope concerns. I've always taken a stance that first party investment is ok and have never been interested in trying to ascertain which exclusives are obtained legitimately and which are so-called dirty moneyhats.

It is unfortunate that a discussion about crowdfunding and first party funding would turn into a complete clusterfuck, I agree.

And I don't have a problem with first party funding, I would just prefer to see more console get more games to stop the incessant whining (that I'm also totally guilty of) and port begging and console war bullshit (although I'm sure the conversation would then come down to the performance and visuals on each system).

It gets tiring to read responses that basically amount to "get fucked, I get this cool thing and you don't"

Stanng243

The most amazing thing to me about this thread is all the people saying the kickstarter was guaranteed. Ive been gaming since the 2600 and i I'd never heard of Shenmue before being on Gaf.

Squalor

Awesome get for Sony.

So excited.

Now how can I replay the first two? Haha.
Please let this be sarcasm.
I really, really hope it's sarcasm, but looking around the thread, I see that there aren't a lot of intelligent people in here.

The three million raised on Kickstarter is, in the grand scheme of things, a meager portion of the total cost to develop, market, publish, and distribute this game.

The average donation is way over $30. That is why. They are exploiting the fanbase for their whale money.

Yep that poor fanbase, all with guns to their heads. I can't believe Shu hasn't been arrested yet, I mean he's forcing these poor people to donate so they can get a game they've waited 14 years for.

It's heartbreaking.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The average donation is way over $30. That is why. They are exploiting the fanbase for their whale money.

Yes, exploiting. Them talking about their funding plans less than 24 hours since the Kickstarter is live, and since people are free to remove or change their pledges for the next 30 days, and talking about this to make clear their plans and income sources while no money has gone to them yet and allows people to think over their payment choice and if they want to back it, is exploiting.

Let's ignore every other reason people may have chose to pay over $30, and why this Kickstarter may be a thing in the first place.

CDX

Use the Kickstarter to get the whale money, then fund the game like normal for Sony. Kickstarter needs to start changing its policies to make this sort of behaviour unallowed.

Oh come on. We wouldn't have a PC version if that was the case. This isn't a Bayonetta 2 situation.

Exactly. If Sony just funded this game like "normal" we wouldn't be getting a PC version.
Did everyone enjoy that PC version of Bayonetta 2 that Nintendo allowed?

I'm happy Shenmue III is getting a larger budget instead of only just relying on Kickstarter funds.
I'm happy Shenmue III is getting a PC version.

gelf

The most amazing thing to me about this thread is all the people saying the kickstarter was guaranteed. Ive been gaming since the 2600 and i I'd never heard of Shenmue before being on Gaf.

I've loved Shenmue from day one and even I was doubtful such a thing would even get a million in pledges whenever anyone suggested it, never saw it as a guarantee at all. It was a niche series only released on consoles that failed to crack the mainstream. I'm very happy to be wrong but there was no way this was a certainty in everyones mind.

test_account

XP-39C²
EA is far from the same.

I don't think your point about risk really changes anything. I think it was clear from the outset that this was planned to exactly the way it did. I think the staged announcement and console exclusivity pretty much let us know that Sony had a direct hand. The timing of the announcement, after kickstarter funds are raised, is just not merely coincidental timing or the product of sony's wait and see.

I don't even have a problem with it personally.
I'm not thinking of the EA program with 1 week earlier access (or how long it was) before the retail release, but the program where you can buy games in their alpha or beta state, like Elite: Dangerous. Kinda Microsoft's answer to Valve's Greenlight. Its not available for the public yet, only for those who are in the Microsoft Preview program for Xbox One, but it will be available for everyone sooner or later. I just mentioned it because you said that Microsoft would applaud to get payed for games early, and Microsoft does have such an option now :)

Yeah, i agree that the point about risk probably wasnt a huge factor, but i think its one factor. I think they made the Kickstarter for that reason, or at least that being one of the reasons. Adam Boyes did explain more in detail why the Kickstarter happened here as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRGlVDi3FHQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s Based on what he says there, it seems that the Kickstarter was necessary to get the game developement going now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think it's fair to prefer more options to play a game. It would be awesome if this was PS4/PC/Xbox One on day one so that everyone could check it out wherever they prefer to game. Depending on what kind of technical demands the game has, I'd probably open it up further to say that it'd be great if last gen was included. Hell, port it to DC so I can have a complete trilogy there! (I promise that I'm not trying to be snarky there. That is a little facetious, but I'm mostly being sincere).

The main issue I have -- and it's an issue that I have with a lot of topics -- is that it's impossible to separate the circumstances of individual examples like this from the broader console wars for many, many people. And garbage posts exists from both sides. An example of a garbage post critical of the move would just be lazily calling out a strawman to say something like "Oh, this is ok, but I bet everyone would be losing their shit if MS had done this." An example of a garbage post defensive of this move would be the people calling out salty haters when there are in fact people that just -- even if they haven't formulated a complete argument as to why -- have genuine reservations about how they perceive the role of Kickstarter in game development as it relates to this game. "Bet you'd be ok with this if MS was involved" is just as much a crap post as the other strawman variation I cited.

Honestly, to some extent, I do think that there's a conversation worth having about both crowdfunding AND first party funding. But it's always just so difficult to have that conversation in the midst of emotions being charged when we are right in the midst of the big story happening. For my own part, my stance is borne out of trying to keep things simple. I'm not a lawyer and I don't really like engaging in rhetorical battles where there's a ton of technical minutiae to wade through and semantic distinctions being cited everywhere. We're in the early days (relatively speaking) of crowdfunding. I'm mostly ok with how it's being used, and am content to take a wait and see approach in terms of the slippery slope concerns. I've always taken a stance that first party investment is ok and have never been interested in trying to ascertain which exclusives are obtained legitimately and which are so-called dirty moneyhats.

Another problem is the some people don't seem to understand that this game was never going to happen without Kickstarter. And those same people just haven't updated their thinking when it comes to how crowd funding has changed the landscape.

The are like the music industry of the year 2005. Still trying to find a way to NOT put their music on iTunes, even though that method of music delivery was going to be a big part of the future.

Do you view Amiibos as exploitation of the Nintendo fanbase? What about Skylanders toys?

Use your brain. Sonys contribution to this will be many times more than the Kickstarter and they are the ones that went out of their way to give us this game that we were told was impossible and which nobody else did.

It's also how KS works... Publishers wait for KS projects to succeed as a proof of concept before investing, Sony doesn't have the deepest pockets in the world I think it's fair they did a litmus test considering how long people have said his game can just never happen.

And now it is happening and it will go down as one of the biggest surprises in E3/gaming history, meanwhile your petty whining will be forgotten as irrelevance.

I for one hope Sony continue doing whatever they can to give us the list, and if you want to enjoy them then get a PS4. As far as I'm concerned gaming is suffering the longest format war of all time that needs to end as soon as possible so we can all enjoy everything and Sony is the closest to making that a reality, nowhere is it written in stone that the Xbone needs to be given a fighting chance, it's not a sexual orientation it's just a box.

Squalor

Those people chose to donate. Those people have the money to donate.

No one on welfare is going "I NEED TO FUND SHENMUE 3, OR THE GAME WON'T GET MADE WITHOUT MY $100 IN LIFE SAVINGS."

People in this thread are really showing their lack of intelligence.

It has raised about three million dollars so far. That's hardly anything in the grand scheme of things.

I'm fine with this as long as they disclose it during the kickstarter.

Had Brian Fargo raised money for Wasteland 2 on the promise of a crpg of old (which he arguably delivered on). And instead turned around and revealed he's with Bethesda, and it's going to be Fallout 3 with a name change. Then I can see there being an issue.

And if seeing a huge kickstarter gives Yu Suzuki a lot more capital from Sony to make a real Shenmue 3 and not a 3 million dollar version, I say we all win.

shanafan

Really? Did you own a Dreamcast?

I still remember picking it up on launch day at Funcoland, and encountering my first QTE with the soccer ball in the street. Good times!

J2 Cool

I've loved Shenmue from day one and even I was doubtful such a thing would even get a million in pledges whenever anyone suggested it, never saw it as a guarantee at all. It was a niche series only released on consoles that failed to crack the mainstream. I'm very happy to be wrong but there was no way this was a certainty in everyones mind.

And considering its contribution per backer, something to collectively inspire Shenmue fans and hardcore gamers needed to happen so I look at E3 as a masterstroke. If it just popped up one day, no telling that people would have banded together.

I'm not thinking of the EA program with 1 week earlier access (or how long it was) before the retail release, but the program where you can buy games in their alpha or beta state, like Elite: Dangerous. Kinda Microsoft's answer to Valve's Greenlight. Its not available for the public yet, only for those who are in the Microsoft Preview program for Xbox One, but it will be available for everyone sooner or later. I just mentioned it because you said that Microsoft would applaud to get payed for games early, and Microsoft does have such an option now :)

Yeah, i agree that the point about risk probably wasnt a huge factor, but i think its one factor. I think they made the Kickstarter for that reason, or at least that being one of the reasons. Adam Boyes did explain more in detail why the Kickstarter happened here as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRGlVDi3FHQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s

Microsoft's answer to greenlight is the indie program they have IDXbox or something (2 different approaches of course). Their early access program sounds like it will be just like steams program callled "early access".

My point in it not being the same is that with kickstarter you're often, as in this case, paying for a product well in advance of it being even playable. But with early access you're getting a product right now, even though it may not be the final form or completed yet. For example - Day Z, one of the EA products coming to xb1, has been on steam early access for at least a year or longer now. While development is not complete, it is a playable product. While shenmue could take a long time (perhaps years) even to get into a state where the developers are comfortable (if they chose to) having a public testing release.

I think people are free to use their money however they want, of course. So I don't have a problem with kickstarter. It doesn't even impact my perception of the game.

I'm not really convinced that they skipped what he said would be a year of internal debate just overnight.

Lemondish

Why is this the go-to response whenever someone doesn't prefer that console manufacturers fund games? Why can't we prefer funding from a third-party so everyone can play it instead?

But no, of course not, that guy must just want the game to not exist instead.

So console manufacturers aren't allowed to compete in the market?

Someone took a chance on this game. Sony's position as a platform holder that could benefit more from this partnership than a third party would is actually a factor here. It's why they can take this risk.

If it's popular enough to insert into their E3 conference- where every minute is extremely valuable to make the best use of that stage- then it's popular enough to not have to resort to plugging a Kickstarter for it.

The real value of having Shenmue in the conference is to show that Sony has the pulse of the enthusiasts.

What is popular doesn't always translate to sales. Nobody was touching Shenmue 3 for years. Now that a company that can hedge the risk through platform exclusivity takes the plunge, we're all supposed to be upset?

No. I'm sorry, but this is just sounding like complaints for the sake of complaining. Shenmue fans have been told for years that their dream is dead and will never happen. Now that it is, there are people now telling them that their dream shouldn't happen.

Those fans will get the last laugh, though, when the game they've wanted releases.

Man Sony drops huge bombshells that people would never imagined it all happen at once, now for some reason going from the TLG thread to this Sony seems to be getting attacked from every angle. I doubt must people really where interested in these games in the first place but see this as a chance to release their negative energy.

Theonik

Starting the game with Kick Starter funding and later transitioning to be supported by a publisher is not unusual for Kick Starter projects. Yu Suzuki, clearly, didn't have faith in the fan base being there.
If Yu Suzuki didn't have faith in the fans he would never have started the Kickstarter in the first place. He'd have never asked for as high as $2m and planned for pledges as high as $8m (I guess) the Kickstarter exists to prove to interested entities that the interest is in fact there and to help fund the game.

I said I'm buying it on PC. Your lack of reading comprehension led you to that lame attempt at humor snd it was unnecessary. Simple fact is, unlike Playstation owners, Xbox owners begged for Shenmue and were rewarded with Shenmue 1&2 on the OG Xbox. It would be nice if 3 was there also.

Horseshit. The Xbox only got Shenmue II and by getting it US Shenmue fans were screwed into having to buy an Xbox for it, if Xbox fans had begged for Shenmue we'd never be even have this discussion as Shenmue 3 would have already have happened on the Xbox. But it didn't and is just an example of how SEGA basically botched the Dreamcast -> 3rd party transition.

If Shenmue 3 represent an abuse to revive older franchise I want a lot more of this abuse.
Yeah. Please abuse me more!

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/...da/?ncid=rss_truncated&a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

Yoshida answered it this way.

Ah, no, no, no. It's a very exciting project and there are lots of PlayStation fans asking for it. But it's a Sega IP and of course Suzuki Yu-san is the creator. So somehow Suzuki-san was able to work out with Sega to allow them to Kickstart the project. And because we liked the project, our third-party relations team struck a deal to help Kickstart the campaign at the E3 conference. That's great PR.

So Suzuki was able to convince Sega to allow him the license and allow him to kickstart the project. Sony thought it would be great PR to open the Kickstarter live at E3 and they are of course interested in the project as well, so will help with funding.

crimilde

Banned

Wow. You must have been reading too many conspiracy theories lately.
By the way, these are not donations! You pay upfront for a deliverable.

Just wondering, have you ever backed anything on Kickstarter, Indiegogo etc?

Nzyme32

This isn't a Sony game. We're footing the bill for Ys Net and Sony is acting as an outside investor (something not unique to big name kickstarters btw). Not to mention Kickstarter is an avenue to pre-order the game at half price.

This is an awful way of looking at it. It is cheaper because you are both taking a significant risk with your money and investing in the development based on faith of the quality of what you get back from that developer (depending on the tier you go for), and essentially being rewarded with the cheaper price because of that faith you have invested in them and the product. Using it as a pre-order cheap platform is just a recipe for disaster

test_account

XP-39C²
Because it is. The average donation is about $80.

But that's because people like myself are donating $500 at a time.

Oh I'm so exploited. Someone please take my battle up on my behalf!
Sure, i'm not questioning that it isnt, i'm wondering why he think that people have donated those amounts, so its over $30 in average =)

Microsoft's answer to greenlight is the indie program they have IDXbox or something (2 different approaches of course). Their early access program sounds like it will be just like steams program callled "early access".

My point in it not being the same is that with kickstarter you're often, as in this case, paying for a product well in advance of it being even playable. But with early access you're getting a product right now, even though it may not be the final form or completed yet. For example - Day Z, one of the EA products coming to xb1, has been on steam early access for at least a year or longer now. While development is not complete, it is a playable product. While shenmue could take a long time (perhaps years) even to get into a state where the developers are comfortable (if they chose to) having a public testing release.

I think people are free to use their money however they want, of course. So I don't have a problem with kickstarter. It doesn't even impact my perception of the game.
Fair enough. I agree that its not the exact same thing. I just mentioned the Microsoft's program more as a side note regarding of selling games early =)

I'm not really convinced that they skipped what he said would be a year of internal debate just overnight.
I dont know how those process works to be honest, so i cant say much about it. But i think that it would be hard to convince those who greenlight those projects to fully fund Shenmue 3 based how Shenmue 1 and 2 sold. Afterall, there is a reason why there wasnt any rush to make Shenmue 3. We also dont know how much money Shenmue 3 is budget at. It would be interesting to know.

So you basically think that people who spend more than the average contribution are stupid? They know what they are getting.

People don't spend money if they don't think whatever they are buying is worth more than the money.

Rymuth

The Xbox only got Shenmue II and by getting it US Shenmue fans were screwed into having to buy an Xbox for it, if Xbox fans had begged for Shenmue we'd never be even have this discussion as Shenmue 3 would have already have happened on the Xbox.
Not really.

Spencer confirmed that Shenmue 3 was the most requested game people ask him about.

Microsoft wouldn't have touched this project with a 10ft pole

Pizza

Pizza never lies!

I don't! I feel semi strongly about this, yeah it's a game that wouldn't really happen, but like someone else said: it's going to cost a lot more than 2-3 million! Sony put up a kickstarter ad in their conference and while it's really really fucking great that the game is getting made Sony asking fans to fund it when they commit to supporting it less than a week later seems shitty.

If none of you guys care, then great! More power to you. I'm happy the game is getting made, I'm just sorta put off by (what I feel like) was Sony getting easy cash off hype. Sure they're going to foot the bill, but fans did part of it for them.

(Now, I don't know if you get a copy of the game at a low tier like $25? That's not nearly as bad. But if you don't get the game until like $60 then you have to toss Sony money twice)

My opinion isn't super well informed, but at face value it seemed like a poopy business practice is all.

I hope shenmue 3 is great though! <3

Paz

We waited 14 years, Yu Suzuki left Sega and lost all access to the Shenmue IP, and yet somehow right this very second Shenmue 3 is being made.

This is a minor miracle! Complaining that Sony are backing the game after a successful kickstarter is ridiculous, everyone who backed the Kickstarter will benefit from the (potential) millions of dollars Sony can kick in or help out development with. Yu Suzuki placed the fate of Shenmue in the hands of its extremely vocal fanbase and we responded by making it the most successful gaming kickstarter launch ever, everybody is winning right now!

Wavebossa

So if someone spends money on something that you would not have spent money on, they have been exploited? Lol the nerve of some of you. I'm glad we have so many experts in the field of ever expanding field of "How other people should spend their hard-earned money"

You know what, I have a question for some of you. Is there anyone in this thread who backed the project, and is now removing funding due to this?

I really want to know if this outrage is coming from actual backers or people who had no financial investment in this whatsoever from the start

Well, honestly we don't know the price of the full release, or the size of the project. Maybe Shenmue 3 will cover only a bunch of chapters, mainly being focused on narration, a very short game. We know absolutely nothing right now, so the game could even release as a 30$ title.
I doubt it will be 60$, usually that's the price of tripla A title, and this one it's not.
We don't even know how much Sony is helping, here. Maybe they will give the game coverage during the launch period, doing massive marketing on events and/or social media. Maybe they provided some tools, maybe they gave Suzuki 10 milion, we don't know.

Shenmue 3 will be as big as the budget it receives allows it to be. Also, what is a triple A title exactly? Is Dragonball Xenoverse AAA? It's $60. What about Lego Jurassic World? When this comes out, the people who didn't back it will have to pay $60. There's no way that's not happening. I'm honestly surprised they allowed the lowest tier to be so low.

As I stated before, I would at least know if:

-Shenmue 3 is the final chapter of the series

I'll be very surprised if Shenmue 3 is the last game. Shenmue is a 16 chapter story and Shenmue 2 ended on Chapter 6. They might try to fit all of that into 3 but I think it will be a better experience if they don't.

-if the digital copy provided is a Steam key, a GOG key or whatever

The only thing we know for sure at this point is that it will be on PSN. I'm willing to bet that digital copy means Steam. I'm not sure what kind of presense GOG et al have in Japan but Steam does to an extent. Also, pretty much every kickstarter I have seen has used "PC digital download" to refer to a steam key.

-the type of the project: is this a REAL Shenmue, or a game done just to close the circle? Of course has been stated clearly what the team wants do, providing a true Shenmue experience.

What makes you think this would be anything but a true Shenmue experience? Yu is a man of uncompromising vision which is why we've waited so long for Shenmue 3.

This is an awful way of looking at it. It is cheaper because you are both taking a significant risk with your money and investing in the development based on faith of the quality of what you get back from that developer (depending on the tier you go for), and essentially being rewarded with the cheaper price because of that faith you have invested in them and the product. Using it as a pre-order cheap platform is just a recipe for disaster

I can agree with this. Whenever I put money towards a Kickstarter I accept this risk and realize there's a chance the product won't come out. I was more getting at the fact that people paying money are expecting something in return and these aren't just straight up donations like some people seem to think.

Top Bottom