• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

Am I a monster for pledging 30 dollars to this game? Should I feel bad that I'm ruining gaming?

Yes, you are a terrible person. Just imagine how terrible it will be when Ubisoft asks to kickstart Assassin's Creed next year. What about the poor children??? Gaming as we know it has been ruined by Yu Suzuki. again.

Sure, today doing a tripla A title costs a lot.
But.
I'm pretty sure you can replicate, by tech and graphics sides, what Shenmue was back in 2002 very easily.
Shenmue is not a big, open world title. And today with UE4 a lot of GOOD titles can be done. Location of Shenmue titles are very small, it's not too hard to achieve a similar result with UE4.
So, to end my post, I think we don't need a triple A budget today to replicate what Shenmue was 14 years ago. I think with 40 milion, we can expect a title on par with 1 and 2.

I mean, did you see how much Witcher 3 costed? 32 milion of dollars, marketing excluded, of course. So if Sony covers the marketing part, and investors put some money in, it wouldn't be too hard achieve a great game.

I highly doubt they'll make the game look like a dreamcast game. Simple dollar inflation and production methods alone will cost more money.

You have to believe a good portion of the people they hope to appeal to are the millennials. They won't get them using nostalgic Dreamcast/Xbox graphics.

longdi

Banned
I wonder will Yu Suzuki starts from scratch or can he get back the engine from Sega?

I dont think Shenmue 3 will cost so much. Sega has been pumping out Yakuza games for Japan sales only. If he can 'loan' Yakuza engine, all he needs is doing the artwork and storyboarding

Percy

Banned
I wonder will Yu Suzuki starts from scratch or can he get back the engine from Sega?

Game was already confirmed to be using UE4 wasn't it? So I guess starting from scratch.

This is whining of epic proportions and maybe worse than the Bayonetta situation. We are getting fucking Shenmue 3, but some people still want to act like whiny cunts.

Strong language there, but completely understandable frustration... And yes, I could well see this being cited for years to come as one of the most embarassing threads in Neogaf history like the Bayo 2 thread.

But.
I'm pretty sure you can replicate, by tech and graphics sides, what Shenmue was back in 2002 very easily.
Shenmue is not a big, open world title. And today with UE4 a lot of GOOD titles can be done. Location of Shenmue titles are very small, it's not too hard to achieve a similar result with UE4.
So, to end my post, I think we don't need a triple A budget today to replicate what Shenmue was 14 years ago. I think with 40 milion, we can expect a title on par with 1 and 2.

I mean, did you see how much Witcher 3 costed? 32 milion of dollars, marketing excluded, of course. So if Sony covers the marketing part, and investors put some money in, it wouldn't be too hard achieve a great game.

Witcher was also made in a country with lower income pay. Are you saying they should move the entire development to a foreign country?

I dont think Shenmue 3 will cost so much. Sega has been pumping out Yakuza games for Japan sales only. If he can 'loan' Yakuza engine, all he needs is doing the artwork and storyboarding

Already announced to use UE4.

Exactly! What is wrong with you gaffers???

I will note that as it pertains to this and the post you quoted, it would be far more beneficial to the conversation to actually expend at least a modicum of effort to try and understand where people are coming from and address their concerns in good faith rather than make posts like this. Sure, maybe some people are just "salty fanboys" (I cringed typing that), but others may have legitimate concerns. Still others may just be a bit confused and a simple clarification will set the record straight.

I will note that as it pertains to this and the post you quoted, it would be far more beneficial to the conversation to actually expend at least a modicum of effort to try and understand where people are coming from and address their concerns in good faith rather than make posts like this. Sure, maybe some people are just "salty fanboys" (I cringed typing that), but others may have legitimate concerns. Still others may just be a bit confused and a simple clarification will set the record straight.

I agree, but I have the impression that everything has been said at this point. This conversation leads to nothing. I am not asking to close the thread, but this is just a circle of frustration.

Krejlooc

Banned
But.

The witcher 3 cost only 32 million to produce because it was made in poland. Shenmue 3 will be made in japan.

I think the issue here is -- and I honestly kind of missed the specific syntax as I wasn't following the exact language being employed during the conference as I had a 3-year-old running around that I had to attend to -- is that this was presented as "this is their thing, we're just trying to get more eyes on it." And then the following day it was clarified "oh yeah, we're giving financial and marketing support as well." I might argue that one could have assumed that this would be the case employing little more than common sense, but I can understand to an extent why it might rub people the wrong way.

I think there is some concern out there that Kickstarter is meant to be more of a grass roots tool. You know, this is our chance to show publishers how wrong they've been and fund things we believe in directly. You might argue that Sony themselves was shrewdly aware of that and that's the reason why they didn't want to state then and there on stage what their intended support was.

I can see that concern. But I also don't think too heavily on it. Just from a basic, common sense level it seems pretty obvious that $2 million isn't the entire budget and if Sony is featuring this during their E3 presentation then they're involved somehow in a capacity beyond just giving them airtime. The fact that it was announced as PS4/PC should also drive that point home in my mind. Why not include Xbox One as well? I mean, I know why that version wouldn't be talked about on Sony's stage, but why not include it in the Kickstarter campaign?

Perhaps they didn't want to hurt the chances of the Kickstarter not being funded by announcing that they were willing to pay for some of the development once it met its goal? I remember there being a similar issue with the Amplitude Kickstarter, where some felt that there was less incentive to help Harmonix fund it because they knew that Sony would be footing part of the bill if it made its goal.

I could see it being something like that, where they didn't want folks assuming that they would throw money at it because they felt it would hurt its KS chances. Just food for thought i suppose.

I backed the hell up out of this.

Positives

- demonstrated that there seems to be quite a bit of gamers out there who want Shenmue back.

- 29 bucks for what might end up being a $40-60 game. Good savings.

- the fact that the kickstarter CONTINUES to increase might allow for a re-release of 1&2 to come out which would do wonders to get people involved in the story.

- sailors

- we talk often of games long gone, and the repeated templates of the last couple of Generation. 3 kickstarter so far have been able to prove to an investor (whether it be publisher or super rich guy #4) that gamers still love the games that resonated heavily with them. The games that are still discussed today and have undoubtedly been labeled as a classic. The games that we wish existed still. The kickstarter allowed those same investors to then put their full wait of cash or whatever behind the developer vision and have the game made. Developers came to us, to say "I need your help. I want to keep making the games you love. I need to prove to the people that have the possibility to make that happen, that YOU, my audience, wants this. Help me get to this SMALL fraction of the actual cost to prove to them that they should then put the rest of the money in so I can share this game with you."

There's a reason that some games seem very similar year after year. It's a tried and true template that makes money and can support the heavy cost that comes with game development. To deviate from what has worked over the last 2 gens is a risk and a potential money sink. Boyes said it best. It's easy to say you want something behind a wall of anonymity on a forum. If you put your money where your impassioned mouth about a franchise is, then we'll help make it happen.

Quite frankly, I'm all for more of this. If this is a way for publishers to realize that they can deviate from the same old designs and bring back some of the core favorites from great developers and varied ideas, then great. Maybe we won't need Kickstarter in the future for this. But right now, its helping.

Wild ARMs...pls.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Really some of you are looking at this the wrong way but outside of what been said already I want the publishers to take this a step further (because who ever said Kickstarter was exclusive to Indies) and Kickstart......LOCALIZATION!!!

Yes that's right you heard me they should Kickstart localizing games we would otherwise never get.

That Phantasy Star Online 2 from SEGA I'm still waiting on? That Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Tag Force Special from Konami that we will never get? or that Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth I still hope we will get one day from Bandai?

Yeah we haven't gotten any of those titles because Japanese Publishers don't think we are a viable market in the West for those titles. So how about they Kickstart for localizing those games and they can launch a Campaign to either:

A-Measure interest for the title in the West

B-Turn the campaign into a glorified Pre-Order system so at the very least they will be making the money they spend on localization back.

duckroll

I really wish people who have no idea how games are made won't post about how they think games are made...

I am going to assume the game is at least $10 million and the $2 was to convince Sega to put up the funds for the game.
We all know Sega's budget isn't the greatest right now and flops like Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric didn't help.

Elios83

I am going to assume the game is at least $10 million and the $2 was to convince Sega to put up the funds for the game.
We all know Sega's budget isn't the greatest right now and flops like Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric didn't help.

Game isn't made by Sega at all.
Sega was paid for the rights to make a sequel.
Investements are all made by Yu Suzuki's own company and Sony.

Krejlooc

Banned
Uhu, I know. And Witcher 3 is also a BIG, open world game. I'm pretty sure that 40 milion would be enough to deliver a great Shenmue, even today. UE4 represents a great way to cut development costs.

The biggest factor in your month to month burn rate is employer salary. Ue4 wont help there.

Perhaps they didn't want to hurt the chances of the Kickstarter not being funded by announcing that they were willing to pay for some of the development once it met its goal? I remember there being a similar issue with the Amplitude Kickstarter, where some felt that there was less incentive to help Harmonix fund it because they knew that Sony would be footing part of the bill if it made its goal.

I could see it being something like that, where they didn't want folks assuming that they would throw money at it because they felt it would hurt its KS chances. Just food for thought i suppose.

Sure. But I think the issue here is one of either confusion or fundamental disagreement about how Kickstarter is supposed to function. Personally, I think I'm mostly ok with it being used as a tool to supplement funding and/or gauge interest. But I don't think people are taking crazy pills just because they might disagree that, ideally, Kickstarter would not be used in such a way.

I think when Kickstarter launched, many people saw it as a way to bypass the traditional publisher model. You know, this game was rejected by the beancounters at Lame Co. and now is your chance to show them how wrong they are by funding it ourselves! We'll make this happen ourselves!

Oh... wait, the corporate fat cats were always the real muscle behind this and I'm not actually funding the game necessarily but just serving to mitigate risk? Well, that's less in the spirit of what I thought this was supposed to be doing...

The above is not how I feel, but I do think that's how some feel. The slippery slope concern is that one day we're going to wake up and there's going to be a Call of Duty or an Assassin's Creed Kickstarter and we're going to have to come to terms with agreeing upon whether or not crowdfunding should be open to everything big or small, or if it should be reserved for titles/ideas that have struggled in the past to obtain funding via traditional avenues.

I have a dream too... That one day there will be another Skies of Arcadia!

Regardless, very happy for the Shenmue fans. I say this as someone who thought a Shenmue kickstarter would fail to reach one million USD.

Wavebossa

The rise of Anti-FundGAF is upon us! If things are funded the way that they would have done it, it is ethically and morally repugnant and needs to be stopped!

All the failing Kickstarters will look up and shout "Fund us"... and Anti-FundGAF will look down and whisper... "No"!

VDOUdwK.png

duckroll

The biggest factor in your month to month burn rate is employer salary. Ue4 wont help there.

It does if it cuts the months. The most important thing about good engines and toolsets is efficiency. The easier it is for the staff to implement things and to correct them, the more time is saved. Bad tool chains and inefficient project management tools result in wasted time, redundant work, and that translates into more months of work and higher development costs!

Wavebossa

Sure. But I think the issue here is one of either confusion or fundamental disagreement about how Kickstarter is supposed to function. Personally, I think I'm mostly ok with it being used as a tool to supplement funding and/or gauge interest. But I don't think people are taking crazy pills just because they might disagree that, ideally, Kickstarter would not be used in such a way.

I think when Kickstarter launched, many people saw it as a way to bypass the traditional publisher model. You know, this game was rejected by the beancounters at Lame Co. and now is your chance to show them how wrong they are by funding it ourselves! We'll make this happen ourselves!

Oh... wait, the corporate fat cats were always the real muscle behind this and I'm not actually funding the game necessarily but just serving to mitigate risk? Well, that's less in the spirit of what I thought this was supposed to be doing...

The above is not how I feel, but I do think that's how some feel. The slippery slope concern is that one day we're going to wake up and there's going to be a Call of Duty or an Assassin's Creed Kickstarter and we're going to have to come to terms with agreeing upon whether or not crowdfunding should be open to everything big or small, or if it should be reserved for titles/ideas that have struggled in the past to obtain funding via traditional avenues.

Those who feel like the bolded are those who fundamentally do not understand how kickstarter works. Whose fault is that?

The true spirit of kickstarter is to kickstart funding (or completely fund) projects. Its not big corp vs little guy or any of this nonsense. Anyone who felt like they were playing hero and Sony just snatched their cape away... well those people were being delusional anyway.

kmax

The reality of the situation is this: no one is going finance a game that isn't viable to succeed. The 2 million dollars alone won't make that much of a diffrence. The real function of it was to demonstrate to investors whether there was an interest from the consumers. Sure, it's not pretty, but considering the options on the table, this is without a doubt the best shot we got. Without a major publisher, this game would never be made. Yu Suzuki believed in it and the fans spoke up. Now, we're getting Shenmue 3.

I'm thankful for that.

Theonik

I really wish people who have no idea how games are made won't post about how they think games are made...
Hey UE4 is free so where are my free AAA games? Fucking greedy developers!

Edit:
It does if it cuts the months. The most important thing about good engines and toolsets is efficiency. The easier it is for the staff to implement things and to correct them, the more time is saved. Bad tool chains and inefficient project management tools result in wasted time, redundant work, and that translates into more months of work and higher development costs!
See: Shenmue.

They have already announced a 2-year dev cycle.
Partially possible because they don't have to build a new engine and toolset and have access to modern project management tools.

Takuhi

Exactly. Why is this so confusing for people. If Sony was getting the money, why would the physical tier only be for PC?

This is such a mystery to me. I can only guess that Sony has the physical publication rights in exchange for their contribution to the project, and...

1) Can't/won't give physical copies to the kickstarter in order to maintain its viability at retail, because stores might not stock it otherwise.

2) Sony has some standards about the amount of content that they'll put on a physical release vs. a digital release, and unless the game ends up with a high enough budget to make it a retail-level release, they won't publish it physically.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I really don't get why people are complaining. Do you realise how cheap I got this game for versus the retail cost of brand new games here in Canada? $30 vs $80.

Those who feel like the bolded are those who fundamentally do not understand how kickstarter works. Whose fault is that?

The true spirit of kickstarter is to kickstart funding (or completely fund) projects. Its not big corp vs little guy or any of this nonsense. Anyone who felt like they were playing hero and Sony just snatched their cape away... well those people were being delusional anyway.

Right. Yeah. I'm mostly there. But I do understand questioning where to draw the line (assuming we need to draw the line at all) in terms of whether or not a project should utilize crowdfunding. Not to pick on the franchise unfairly, but do you think that Activision should Kickstart next year's Call of Duty? That's not a rhetorical question either. I honestly don't know how I'd answer it.

Krejlooc

Banned
My one-time expenses for my current project came out to $1.65 million. That's setting up our office, dev machine expenditures, licensing, etc.

$2 million is chump change. The money people are kickstarting will be completely used up before any actual development even begins.

duckroll

They have already announced a 2-year dev cycle.

Right, but it's a projection made knowing that they will be using UE4. I don't think we should dismiss that it is a factor. If they were to try developing their own tools from scratch to make the game, it would add significant cost and development time to the project.

Alucrid

Banned
Right. Yeah. I'm mostly there. But I do understand questioning where to draw the line (assuming we need to draw the line at all) in terms of whether or not a project needs crowdfunding. Not to pick on the franchise unfairly, but do you think that Activision should Kickstart next year's Call of Duty? That's not a rhetorical question either. I honestly don't know how I'd answer it.
I think a better question is could they. The highest funded game on Kickstarter is listed as bloodstained and they still needed to secure additional investments eve with 5.5 million. So there's no way cod or ass Creed could fully fund themselves with Kickstarter and even if they did one for 2 million it would seem negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Krejlooc

Banned
Right, but it's a projection made knowing that they will be using UE4. I don't think we should dismiss that it is a factor. If they were to try developing their own tools from scratch to make the game, it would add significant cost and development time to the project.

I wasnt disagreeing, the originals began development sometime in 1997 and didnt finish releasing until 2001.

I think a better question is could they. The highest funded game on Kickstarter is listed as bloodstained and they still needed to secure additional investments eve with 5.5 million. So there's no way cod or ass Creed could fully fund themselves with Kickstarter and even if they did one for 2 million it would seem negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Right. They couldn't fully fund it. The target would most definitely be some negligible amount in the grand scheme of things. But the question is would them launching a $2 million (for example) Kickstarter seem sleazy?

Wavebossa

Right. Yeah. I'm mostly there. But I do understand questioning where to draw the line (assuming we need to draw the line at all) in terms of whether or not a project needs crowdfunding. Not to pick on the franchise unfairly, but do you think that Activision should Kickstart next year's Call of Duty? That's not a rhetorical question either. I honestly don't know how I'd answer it.

Although its not the exact same thing, my answer still wouldn't change.

If Activision crowdfunds the next Call of Duty and people pledge their hard-earned money towards it (even if I chose not to), I would have no issue with that whatsoever.

I probably wouldn't put 1 cent towards a Call of Duty Kickstarter but I would never look at those who did as:

-Ruining the industry
-Duped
-Ethically wrong
-Morally devoid

Every time you buy a game, you are investing. The people who contributed to the Kickstarter are merely willing to invest more than the people who did not.

I'm being completely honest when I say I would have no problem if every single game at E3 used Kickstarter to gauge interest and do initial funding. And if that idea were to fail miserably, we would never see it again. But if it were to succeed, then hello future of gaming funding.

Either way, i'm not mad.

Alucrid

Banned
Right. They couldn't fully fund it. The target would most definitely be some negligible amount in the grand scheme of things. But the question is would them launching a $2 million (for example) Kickstarter seem sleazy?
It would depend on why they're doing it. Of course I also can't come up with a reason why they would.

inner-G

Banned
I really hope they do a HD version of I and II also.

Not many folks have access to the first two games or systems to play them on these days.

Edit: Why are people mad about the game being on Kickstarter so much? I'd rather see people put money there instead of into Gamestop's pre-order account

Theonik

Right. Yeah. I'm mostly there. But I do understand questioning where to draw the line (assuming we need to draw the line at all) in terms of whether or not a project should utilize crowdfunding. Not to pick on the franchise unfairly, but do you think that Activision should Kickstart next year's Call of Duty? That's not a rhetorical question either. I honestly don't know how I'd answer it.
I'd love to see them try.

My one-time expenses for my current project came out to $1.65 million. That's setting up our office, dev machine expenditures, licensing, etc.

$2 million is chump change. The money people are kickstarting will be completely used up before any actual development even begins.
Well, to be fair; they have probably already secured those funds in their initial capital investment, so the money should largely be going towards the game. But yes, especially for starting a new proper company $2m is nothing, which is why a lot of other large KS outsource the development to an established studio.

zeshakag

Yeah, the term Kickstarter was chosen specifically to mean that. Anything whose Kickstarter goal being met leads to bigger and better things has been properly kickstarted. I don't have a problem with publishers offloading stuff to Kickstarter. in this case, this is Yu's project, Sony is just supporting him.

Although its not the exact same thing, my answer still wouldn't change.

If Activision crowdfunds the next Call of Duty and people pledge their hard-earned money towards it (even if I chose not to), I would have no issue with that whatsoever.

I probably wouldn't put 1 cent towards a Call of Duty Kickstarter but I would never look at those who did as:

-Ruining the industry
-Duped
-Ethically wrong
-Morally devoid

Every time you buy a game, you are investing. The people who contributed to the Kickstarter are merely willing to invest more than the people who did not.

I'm being completely honest when I say I would have no problem if every single game at E3 used Kickstarter to gauge interest and do initial funding. And if that idea were to fail miserably, we would never see it again. But if it were to succeed, then hello future of gaming funding.

Either way, i'm not mad.

Exactly, this lets us, the consumer decide what we want to fund. I'd never fund call of duty, but there is nothing wrong if people do.

It would depend on why they're doing it. Of course I also can't come up with a reason why they would.

Yeah. I'm not going to pretend that I put a lot of time into this thought exercise. I just threw that out there after a moment of thinking "OK, what would be the poster child for a game that almost everyone would agree doesn't need crowdfunding to be be funded?"

Top Bottom