• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Knows

Yeah,If they do the name change. I bet it will be something along the line of just changing the name that appears to other players while keeping the ID tied to the account the same.

Pengew

I was hoping to see some sort of "Organized Download List". Would be great to have it separated into categories instead of having to slowly scroll through every purchase I have ever made just to redownload an old game. It's even worse on PS3 because once you download something the list refreshes and goes back to the top.

Withnail

Don't care about folders at all, yuck. Pins might be useful occasionally but can't say it's something I've wished for. Personally the list of 15 recent apps works great for me. If you're not using that option to keep the list to 15 items you're doing it wrong.

Just add some better library sorting options and it's all good.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
As time passes more and more people will get frustrated. I don't see what's baffling about that.

It takes time, to implement features. That's the jist of it. Saying every single thing important to you or me should have been there from the beginning of the PS4's lifecycle is all well and good, but the fact of the matter is, the situation is not as easy as that

All of those except the classics and the party size are more or less simple software things that should be implemented without a need for a clumsy survey.

Friend notifications, I mean come on! I could code it for them in an hour.

liquidtmd

Banned
It takes time, to implement features. That's the jist of it. Saying every single thing important to you or me should have been there from the beginning of the PS4's lifecycle is all well and good, but the fact of the matter is, the situation is not as easy as that

It's been two years and I still have to scroll through a load of crap I don't want on my front screen.

I get the patience angle but I really don't think I'm asking a lot here by wanting to organise it a little.

Download avatars on PS4 being in a survey is a fucking disgrace.
As a launch oversight, it can be forgiven..but surveying people about it 2 years later is ridiculous.
Sony knows shit.

I can't believe that Improve DVD/Blu-Ray player is not on this list. The PS4 player is a piece of crap. The first DVD I decided to watch since purchasing my PS4 was the Criterion release of Jim Jarmusch's Down By Law. It features Robby Müller's gorgeous, lush black & white cinematography. On the PS3, the subtle tones, black level, and greyscale balance is really quite excellent. When I started up the film on the PS4, I couldn't believe how completely wrong the skin tones were, with washed-out blotchiness, crushed details, and blacks that were more like dark grey. It looked terrible, like something I'd expect from a $50 DVD player. It's hard to believe that a company that also owns a movie studio is okay with the quality of the PS4's player. Please get this sorted, Sony!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I feel like Sony keeps teasing us with this PSN name change bit.

They obviously know it is of utmost importance to their users but they are taking their sweet time giving it to us!

Implementing features on any service takes time and running an online network is hard work. However this is not just the PS4 here, things like id changes or location changes are options that should be there by now and in the PS3 era , in my opinion. It's 2015, how long are we going to keep on with the waiting game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's been two years and I still have to scroll through a load of crap I don't want on my front screen.

I get the patience angle but I really don't think I'm asking a lot here by wanting to organise it a little.

Implementing features on any service takes time and running an online network is hard work. However this is not just the PS4 here, things like id changes or location changes are options that should be there by now and in the PS3 era , in my opinion. It's 2015, how long are we going to keep on with the waiting game.

I think that's absolutely reasonable. But i just think that not everything is ever going to be perfect, but its not as if they are actively ignoring complaints. PS3 era be damned, the PS4 era is the first time i can even celebrate MKV support in any fashion.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Changing PSN ID being he number 1 requested feature saddens me. It's pretty much the least important thing if you ask me. But now we'll probably get that before PS1 and PS2 classics, folders and a non crappy download list.

Apt101

Folders and changing one's PSN ID are the two things I really want. Hiding items in my library would be nice. The rest aren't concerns of mine, though I'm surprised a few haven't been implemented yet.

autoduelist

The price of a few competent developers. The only reason they haven't done it is fear of breaking their fragile network.

What a shame if true, such a huge install base and they can't hire a team that is capable of providing basic features. Hard for consoles to remain competitive this way.

There are risks anytime you change code. It just requires sufficient planning, testing, and a way to recover. They don't need to change the keys. Leave that alone. They need to add aliases.

I've posted about this before, but yes, there are -massive- risks in allowing this. Every single codebase that uses username is at risk - that includes everything from the firmware of the psp, vita, ps3, and ps4, to billing systems, customer service backends, the web store, account management...

Some of these code bases haven't been touched in years, and now you need to not only review them for dependencies, but update them, qa them, and then make the change live in a huge mission critical ecosystem with millions of users.

Anyone thinking $10 a person to change your name would be profitable for Sony is wrong. Anyone thinking it's a simple change is wrong. I don't have access to their systems/database to give a sense of how major the change is, but that it's a massive undertaking is pretty much definite - you have over a decade of legacy code that would need review/modification/qa.

Even just 'adding aliases' requires this - it's not the 'solution' that is difficult, it is the implementation.

Having your baseline be "it's PR and we're getting nothing, this is just to give us hope", is crazy. Especially when we already got wishlists off that list.

Obviously it's unlikely we'll get them all. But if your first thought is that they put this survey out to 'trick' or 'fool' us, you really need to take a step back from your computer. It's wildly paranoid, pessimistic, and illogical.

So I guess those in the thread who suggested the OP might be trolling are paranoid, pessimistic, and illogical too or do you mean it's fine to suspect the individual but not a company. I'd say not suspecting there is a chance of foulplay in this instance is childishly naive and gullible (no one besides the OP has even stated they've seen this survey).

I don't care either way and am making this my last replay in this thread, I just take issue on being called out in such a way for being mindful of manipulation in this instance.

Fucking hell. I'll post a screenshot of the email when I am at my PC later today. (Or maybe I am at my PC right now, and will spend the time between now and then mocking up a email!) I'll also reupload the first image, as it seems to be down.

I was invited to join something called PlayStation Voice, a good number of months ago. They send surveys out for all sorts; potential game covers, TV and paper ads. Thoughts on new releases and even conferences. It's not fake. I even volunteered to forward the email to a mod.

BONKERS

Why the heck isn't there an option for a proper damn Library? All these corporations want to make all digital a thing or push digital hard. But then they completely can't even competently create an easy to view library of games like Steam does.

NOT on the Store but on the damn Dashboard. How hard is that to get right?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I've posted about this before, but yes, there are -massive- risks in allowing this. Every single codebase that uses username is at risk - that includes everything from the firmware of the psp, vita, ps3, and ps4, to billing systems, customer service backends, the web store, account management...

Some of these code bases haven't been touched in years, and now you need to not only review them for dependencies, but update them, qa them, and then make the change live in a huge mission critical ecosystem with millions of users.

Anyone thinking $10 a person to change your name would be profitable for Sony is wrong. Anyone thinking it's a simple change is wrong. I don't have access to their systems/database to give a sense of how major the change is, but that it's a massive undertaking is pretty much definite - you have over a decade of legacy code that would need review/modification/qa.

Even just 'adding aliases' requires this - it's not the 'solution' that is difficult, it is the implementation.

Definitely the stuff tech nightmares are made of, considering the system is live and with several million people making real money transactions on it. On the flip side though, it would give the engineers trying to push tech debt/refactoring stories on top of their backlog for months or years a well earned victory ;).

I'm over PSN name change as its taken forever to happen and I've grown to like my ID now lol.

What I'm most interested in from that list is folders, friend notifications (seriously this not being available is borderline incompetence) and PS1/PS2 classics.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Stick your music on a USB stick and you can play any music you want while playing. Google the needed folder structure. This has been there since last year.

Or fire up the Spotify app and you can also play for free with ads or paid no ads anything you want while gaming, provided it's on Spotify. This has playlists.

Both options could be better/more convenient. USB stick doesn't support enough formats, and doesn't allow for any on the fly playlist creation or any advanced organization (by artist/album etc). Spotify is nice, but you have to suspend your game to browse it, and generally it's organization could be better. Plus it's missing all of my underground Alt Deep Neo Rap-Pop Fusion that you've probably never heard of.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Change PSN ID should absolutely be number 1, dont care if i have to pay for it. Made my id back in 2006 when i was 10 and its shit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
1. PSN name change
2. PS1 Classics
3. PS2 Classics
4. ...I dunno, filtering sounds good. I'm not sure if I'd describe it like "filtering", but I wish I had more of a sense of a "collection" of games that I own.

autoduelist

SonyToo!™;182949776 said:
So I guess those in the thread who suggested the OP might be trolling are paranoid, pessimistic, and illogical too or do you mean it's fine to suspect the individual but not a company. I'd say not suspecting there is a chance of foulplay in this instance is childishly naive and gullible (no one besides the OP has even stated they've seen this survey).

I don't care either way and am making this my last replay in this thread, I just take issue on being called out in such a way for being mindful of manipulation in this instance.

Yeah, ok. So... now it's not a 'Sony PR trick', but a nefarious OP. You're way deep in the weeds, I'll let you be. You aren't being mindful of manipulation, you're making up cockamamie worst case scenarios that don't make sense and assuming them as the default position.

I don't get this survey.

The answers are:
EVERYTHING!
AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Especially that second question... what do they expect?!

bombshell

Both options could be better/more convenient. USB stick doesn't support enough formats, and doesn't allow for any on the fly playlist creation or any advanced organization (by artist/album etc). Spotify is nice, but you have to suspend your game to browse it, and generally it's organization could be better. Plus it's missing all of my underground Alt Deep Neo Rap-Pop Fusion that you've probably never heard of.

I agree on your first part, the USB music player is bare-bones right now. This is why I prefer using Spotify, which is very easy to make custom playlists with.

Your part about Spotify is not entirely true. You can control Spotify on your PS4 using the smartphone app. In fact you never even need to launch the Spotify app on your PS4, if you just control it with your phone. For the best organization tools I use the web player on a PC.

Yeah it could be a fake but it really isn't. Will repeat: I will happily forward actual email to a mod. (Though this hardly seems like such a big deal that they would ask for that.)

psvoicerzznq.png

JoshGrilli

Neo Member
I would say all of the above except for custom backgrounds, just don't really care too much for that. Also friend notifications.

Garlador

As a PS4 owner, I'm sitting here waiting for a survey to give them a piece of my mind.

... It's criminal that I can't play Mega Man Legends on my PS4 yet.

dugdug

Banned
I mean, the honest answer to the second question is as late as possible. Like, I want it soon, yeah, but, I *expect* Sony to take forever.

Most of the mentioned features are super obvious and should definitely be implemented. It really doesn't take a survey for that.

Carn82

Yeah it could be a fake but it really isn't. Will repeat: I will happily forward actual email to a mod. (Though this hardly seems like such a big deal that they would ask for that.)

psvoicerzznq.png

You could look into the e-mail headers and check out where it's sent from (click on the downward-arrow in the top-right of your screenshot and select 'show original')

You could look into the e-mail headers and check out where it's sent from (click on the downward-arrow in the top-right of your screenshot and select 'show original')

Return path is identical to the address I've blocked out.

I've done loads of surveys for PS Voice. Even won £10 off 'em once :p

Top Bottom