• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Leaked Sci-FI RPG Is from Outriders Dev People Can Fly and 'RED' was the codename

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The leaked footage seems to feature the word 'RED' in the bottom right corner of the screen. 'RED' was the codename for a People Can Fly project, which the developer said was in the "concept development phase" back in 2021.

If you squint, the evidence starts to line up, especially since People Can Fly obviously has a lot of experience with third-person shooters — and the leaked project appears to be just that.

Perrott

Gold Member
"Red" isn't the codename, the alignment of said word in the leaked video is too far away from the bottom right corner for it to be a project name watermark. The word "Red" probably makes reference to some other UI element that seems to be obstructed by that Unreal Engine notification at the bottom right corner.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Idk, I'm kinda interested but not particularly excited. They made a couple of decent games back in the day but that was over a decade ago. Outriders turned out to be one of the most redundant, generic, and tedious GaaS looter shooters I've ever played which makes me doubt that any further output from the studio would be any better.

Still, there's a possibility that Outriders' failure can be blamed on Square Enix, considering that they had a recent streak of embarrassing flops that involved other high-profile studios such as Platinum Games, all in the name of trying to jump on the GaaS bandwagon. Maybe Outriders wouldn't be such a boring slog if the studio didn't have to follow similar mandates from Square. The game definitely had a potential and there are a number of things about it that I thought were solid, such as general feel of the combat and controls, highly polished visuals, interesting premise, etc. What lets it down the most is that it's just so dull and repetitive and the difficulty was obviously scaled to force you into grinding your character. Which is the kind of shit that is a general result of trying to make the game into a crappy looter shooter with predatory MTX economy.

People Can Fly

Outriders dev

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

Bulletstorm and Outriders are amazing

I feel like their games don't get the credit they're due
Maybe because they look like shit, and the production values and art design is sorely lacking.

Outriders even looks fun to play, but I just can't get past the fucking awful art direction. It's visually offensive.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I've never played the game, but is Outriders a case of good gameplay but bad mission design?
In People Can Fly's defense, Outriders was a victim of Square Enix's push for birthing a Destiny clone of their own. Was Crystal Dynamics fault that Avengers was doomed to fail from the very moment it was requested to be a live-service title by its publisher? Nope.

Same goes for People Can Fly.

Ozriel

M$FT
Let’s learn to title threads better. Reading the OP, it’s clear this is speculation…but the title makes it seem like this is confirmed information and the thread has flowed that way.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Let’s learn to title threads better. Reading the OP, it’s clear this is speculation…but the title makes it seem like this is confirmed information and the thread has flowed that way.

Let's learn to read tags better. It's clearly labelled as RUMOR.

gothmog

Gold Member
I'd like to hear more. Curious to see what lessons PCF learned from Outriders as there were plenty of lessons to be learned.

In People Can Fly's defense, Outriders was a victim of Square Enix's push for birthing a Destiny clone of their own. Was Crystal Dynamics fault that Avengers was doomed to fail from the very moment it was requested to be a live-service title by its publisher? Nope.

Same goes for People Can Fly.
Thank you, and that was also a perfect comparison. I'm still sad over that Avengers game because the gameplay was actually really fun and it felt like they finally nailed the gameplay of a Marvel game(aside from Spiderman). It's a real shame what happened after release.

Well, as long as it's as fun as Gears 1,2,3 and has no woke stuff I'm all for it.
It will depend on what your definition of the word means. It's the one word with the most shifting definition of all time on GAF.

Top Bottom