• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony leaks Dark Cloud PS2 for PS4

Garlador

I could maybe understand no PS2 discs (shame, I have a HUGE collection), but no PS2 Classics support? That's a Nintendo move.

FULLNINTENDO.jpg

C'mon, Sony. You were better than this.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The weird thing is that we now have to wait until PSX for clarification, this is a leak after all.

Yeah..i hope they taper down a lot of the concerns about this, that atleast must be clarified before anything going forward.

I have to know where they stand on these specific issues before i can commit one way or the other to supporting this initiative or boycotting it.

sensui-tomo

They want that money nintendo fans have put in for VC stuff. It'd be nice if having a classic would get you a discount. I wont count on it, but hey its nice having the option to play ps2 games on the ps4. I'll more than likely buy DC2, i never played it.

Justinh

Hoping that there will be like an "upgrade fee" type of thing when rebuying VC games on Wii U that you moved from your Wii.

LIke, 1 or 2 bucks wouldn't be bad.
Yeah, wasn't expecting disc support with the up-res and trophies, but it still stings...

Risette

A Good Citizen
I have to admit the tears here are pretty hilarious. What were you expecting? Businesses aren't your friends.
something that would compete with MS's 360 BC probably? last I checked, MS wasn't my friend either and yet their BC solution is much much better for a more recent console

this is basically a non-feature. more like a framework for cheap remasters.

Damn, I was looking forward to playing all the SMT ps2 classics I had on ps3. Even if they were dirt cheap I don't really wanna buy them twice.

Naudi

Banned
It's not 'fake' outrage. I specifically bought the GTA trilogy last week because I thought I'd be able to play them emulated on my PS4.
Sure I'm at least partly to blame for not waiting to find out exactly what Sony were going to be offering, but I'm still really disappointed.
As for being dismissive of everyone by calling it 'fake' outrage, you're just being an asshole.

Partly your fault? That is entirely your fault lol

They NEED to clarify whether PS2 classics we already bought on PS3 have licenses that allow crossbuy with the PS4 equivalent. This is make or break Sony.

I never expected discs, but at the very least allow those of us who have participated in your digital account system to take advantage of those fucking features the same way we do on your other platforms!

My guess is they are repackaging this as a completely separate program not a carryover of the PS2 Classics. They probably won't even call it PS2 Classics and those will still be available for purchase on prior consoles. These will be select ps2 games (and maybe ps1) upscaled and with trophy support, maybe even under some new umbrella called "PlayStation Generations" or some shit like this. I mean, in their heads i can see where they might think this will avoid confusion about which ps2 Classics carry over and which don't, but I still think they should bite the bullet and offer people the chance to carry their licenses over as the Ps2 Classic titles start to trickle out on ps4.

I do not see a PlayStation channel showing up on YouTube that was last active around the time it was supposedly uploaded/deleted. 4 hours isn't right.

Sinoox

Banned
I've owned Dark Cloud 1&2 for over a decade now and if I want to enjoy them again I can do so on my laptop in HD. Dark Cloud 3 would have been cool... I guess in a parallel universe. Maybe if they publicize this game a bit there could be enough demand for one.

Khort

No disc based emulation was expected but that's hurt... Was holding on a disc version of shadow hearts covenant since my ps3 fat died... I guess I may have to turn to pc emulation as this franchise is in legal limbo it seems :-(

Boke1879

I have to admit the tears here are pretty hilarious. What were you expecting? Businesses aren't your friends.

It does suck that PS2 classics you already bought won't transfer over. There may be a reason for that or it could be just a business trying to make more money. Fact is this. It is what it is. And this is a solution to play PS2 games on your PS4.

Vire

Except I can put my disc in the competitors console and play the game just fine.

This is some shit Sony.

It's not 'fake' outrage. I specifically bought the GTA trilogy last week because I thought I'd be able to play them emulated on my PS4.
Sure I'm at least partly to blame for not waiting to find out exactly what Sony were going to be offering, but I'm still really disappointed.
As for being dismissive of everyone by calling it 'fake' outrage, you're just being an asshole.

That's 100% your fault, playboy.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its even worse because this leak was with DC1...not even DC2 which is by far the superior game. Luckily we know that is coming, but its like the cherry on the shit sundae

They are not our friends, i am fully aware of that. But synergy between their ecosystem is actually good business sense for them. They are the ones who made the effort to allow crossbuy between vita/vita TV and PS3, which don't even share the same architecture..so why not carry that over to PS4 as well?

MaDKaT

Well, Im out. Was only in for the slight chance of disc based play. I will not purchase my games again. Plenty of other options for 'Enhanced' emulation.

wrowa

I'm fine with no discs, but no PS2 Classics? Fuck that. Hopefully you'll at least be able to upgrade for a reduced price if you already own the PS2 Classic on PS3

delSai

They are not our friends, i am fully aware of that. But synergy between their ecosystem is actually good business sense for them. They are the ones who made the effort to allow crossbuy between vita, vita TV, and PS3, which don't even share the same architecture..so why not carry that over to PS4 as well?

Probably because those games arent the classics we have bought, but rather some kind of Mini Remaster, with trophies and this stuff.

Stike

GUYS

GUYS

What if... Dark Cloud PS2 is only a part of...

Dark Cloud 1 & 2 PS2 coming to PS4 alongside with a Dark Cloud 3 announcement???

alexein

No ps2 classics is a shitty move they could make it crossbuy with the ps4 version
I just hope if their position is you have to rebuy everything that they will add 2 slots in ps plus for ps2

Portugeezer

I am not surprised about the disk thing but having to rebuy all your games? lmao

That's not what it says. Probably means that if you have a PS2 classic that isn't PS4 compatible (yet) then you can't play it. Sony even ported some digital only PS3 games to PS4 and people didn't have to re-buy them for PS4, there is not reason to believe you will have to buy a PS2 game again if it's made compatible... trophies aren't worth that much.

Except I can put my disc in the competitors console and play the game just fine.

This is some shit Sony.

They are setting out to do different things. MS created an emulator that basically turns your One into a 360. Sony seems to be purposing these more as individual releases with added graphical and trophy upgrades. MS is also trying to target last gen consumers who they can still get on their side. The ps2 on the other hand was 2 generations ago and the odds that most consumers still have large ps2 physical libraries is much lower.

Nazo

The dream is dead

w6bMVkp.png

I am not at all surprised about no disc support but no PS2 classic support is utter garbage.

Hopefully there will be a minimal fee to those who previously owned the games like Nintendo did. Other wise this just straight sucks dude.

Edit: I hope the formal announcement will shed some light on the situation.

Boke1879

This is some shit Sony.

At the moment though you can only do that with select 360 games. It doesn't extend beyond that. I'll admit it's a better solution but we also don't know what legal matters go into this type of stuff either.

Sony has released the following games with brand new graphics, improvements, and going way, WAY beyond simply adding trophies for completely free to previous buyers:

- Flow
- Flower
- Journey
- Unfinished Swan
- Sound Shapes
- Escape Plan

And quite a few more, across the PS3 -> Vita, Vita -> PS4, and PS4 -> Vita versions. All of those involved a ton of work beyond creating a trophy list and running it through what I presume is their emulation algorithm.

They are the ones that created the (reasonable! Amazing! Well-received!) expectations that buying a license in one console entitles us to using it in newer consoles with improvements.

Which makes sense, since it has never been called that.
Thise are 6 games all published by Sony. There are a lot more ps2 classics on ps store and most of them are not published by Sony. There's simply no easy way to automatically make all ps2 classics to have trophies and upressed without dedicated group of people to add those trophies and testing the upressed games.

Pretty much no big publisher outside of Sony and indie support crossbuy.

Gator86

The dream is dead

w6bMVkp.png

Why the fuck would Sony allow this? Time and time again, gamers have shown that the industry can treat them like shit with no consequences. MS didn't even expect gamers would have a problem with them entirely revoking the concept of ownership. I'd love to play my old discs but never expected it to happen.

That said, I wonder how Dark Cloud has aged. Loved that game so much back in the day.

labaronx

We must assume that PS2 Classics are strictly licensed to only be sold on PS3, so they can't do a cross-buy feature.

Sucks, but a deal is a deal...

Edit:

Dat hyperbole

True or ps2 classics are playable but the new upscale and Trophy support features dont work with ps2 classics

Either way its best to wait to see it in action before jumping to conclusions. If i can get manhunt and manhunt 2 at 1080p stable framerate id gladly buy again

I knew discs wouldn't work but not transferring over classics you own is a shame.

The only real reason I can think of is publishers might have said they wouldn't bother with ps2 classics if they were just free to download for ps3 owners.

Hopefully theres a discount program for owners of the ps3 license like the wii-wiiu.

I don't think it should be free, especially considering trophy support, but a $2 fee or something small would be fine.

Guymelef

GUYS

GUYS

What if... Dark Cloud PS2 is only a part of...

Dark Cloud 1 & 2 PS2 coming to PS4 alongside with a Dark Cloud 3 announcement???

Dark Cloud leaked
Dark Cloud 2 rated by PEGI
Level 5 said long time ago they were to reveal its PS4 game last E3.

Umm...

Top Bottom