• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony leaks Dark Cloud PS2 for PS4

I wonder if all PS2 games will have trophies on PS4 and to what extent. Will they just have shitty 10-15 trophies each with no platinum or the full 40-50 trophies with plat?

Maybe only the ones that are up rendered and enhanced a lot will have trophies? I can't see them adding them for every game they put up that would require too much work.

Also tbh I'm looking more forward to PS1 games on PS4 because of all the jrpgs. But I think they'd look too ugly even if they were upressed. Maybe that's why Sony isn't bothering with them.

Also I don't get all the uproar with PS2 classics not transferring. There weren't that many on the PSN PS3 to begin with and these versions will have enhancements on top like trophies and better graphics. It's not much different to paying for a HD remaster to be fair.

Vire

They are setting out to do different things. MS created an emulator that basically turns your One into a 360. Sony seems to be purposing these more as individual releases with added graphical and trophy upgrades. MS is also trying to target last gen consumers who they can still get on their side. The ps2 on the other hand was 2 generations ago and the odds that most consumers still have large ps2 physical libraries is much lower.
Any modern emulator could provide the same exact upgrades any of these PS2 rereleases are getting easily. PS2 emulation runs 1080p 60fps on PC
toasters these days.

The dream is dead

w6bMVkp.png

What a train wreck. WTF Sony.

I could maybe understand no PS2 discs (shame, I have a HUGE collection), but no PS2 Classics support? That's a Nintendo move.

FULLNINTENDO.jpg

C'mon, Sony. You were better than this.
Wait, wiiu supports all wii ware and VC games. Nintendo is doing better than Sony on this front.

Boke1879

I knew discs wouldn't work but not transferring over classics you own is a shame.

The only real reason I can think of is publishers might have said they wouldn't bother with ps2 classics if they were just free to download for ps3 owners.

Hopefully theres a discount program for owners of the ps3 license like the wii-wiiu.

I don't think it should be free, especially considering trophy support, but a $2 fee or something small would be fine.

That's my thought on this. Either pubs refused to allow this or there is some licensing issue with these older games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Probably because those games arent the classics we have bought, but rather some kind of Mini Remaster, with trophies and this stuff.

The worst case scenario you mean. They consider them "different games" because they are "enhanced". Shit.

Well....i hope that they give me a minimal fee to pay, anything. just give me an effing bone here so i can be happy about a feature i should be pleasantly surprised by.

I don't expect an announcement like this at PSX without some kind of concession to the PSN ecosystem supporters will go over well in general.

Catvoca

Banned
I wonder if all PS2 games will have trophies on PS4 and to what extent. Will they just have shitty 10-15 trophies each with no platinum or the full 40-50 trophies with plat?

Maybe only the ones that are up rendered and enhanced a lot will have trophies? I can't see them adding them for every game they put up that would require too much work.

The Ps2 classics that game with Battlefront only had a handful of trophies with no Platinum. All basic stuff as well obviously, just finishing levels, getting collectables, that sort of thing.

artsi

I never really cared about disc support as I've sold most of my old PS2 titles. I think this is dope that PS4 can have 1080p and trophies for those old games.

Partly your fault? That is entirely your fault lol

I said 'at least'. :p

Sony said:
We are working on utilizing PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation,” a Sony representative told WIRED via email. “We have nothing further to comment at this point in time.

Now you can't tell me that's not just a big fucking tease considering what this new news seems to suggest? Sony basically said they've got a PS2 emulator up and running on PS4, it's not really that unrealistic to assume that the PS2 games we own digitally would be compatible.

Sony would have been better off just keeping their mouths shut.

Although this is not quite on the same scale of reveal, if this hadn't leaked and was announced on stage at PSX we would be comparing it to the FFVII announcement last year. In that everyone got really excited by the initial reveal only to be kicked in the balls by the reality of the situation when it was actually explained.

However I will be holding my final judgement for after PSX, and hoping we're only getting half the story here.

True or ps2 classics are playable but the new upscale and Trophy support features dont work with ps2 classics

Either way its best to wait to see it in action before jumping to conclusions. If i can get manhunt and manhunt 2 at 1080p stable framerate id gladly buy again

Can't they just get the license who bought Classics and give new PS2 version to them for free?

Boke1879

I concur. I'd rather be angry after getting confirmation than look like an idiot for jumping to conclusions.

Yea. I'd rather wait for the full confirmation. initially this isn't the best thing in the world but it's something they have to address.

Wagram

something that would compete with MS's 360 BC probably? last I checked, MS wasn't my friend either and yet their BC solution is much much better for a more recent console

this is basically a non-feature. more like a framework for cheap remasters.

Didn't realize that backwards compatibility meant anything in the grand scheme of things and neither will this.

Sanctuary

Buy them all over again. Eh

Or just use an emulator with what you already have? I get that not everyone has a top of the line gaming PC, but you don't need one to play PS2 games anymore, unless your system is over seven years old and low end to begin with.

Vire

Didn't realize that backwards compatibility meant anything in the grand scheme of things and neither will this.
Businesses aren't your friend to backwards comparability is dumb anyway.

Goalposts, keep moving them.

Quonny

Holy shit some of these posts.

Hey, you know how they said that it's not backwards compatible from the get-go? That's still true. Now those that don't have those games can play them. I for one would love to play a few older games that I don't have. And for all those games that I have that I could have been playing on my PS2, those still exist and I can still play them on my PS2!

Good lord people. They're taking nothing away and instead offering a service and we get posts calling it a trainwreck and Sony "$ony".

Any modern emulator could provide the same exact upgrades any of these PS2 rereleases are getting easily. PS2 emulation runs 1080p 60fps on PC
toasters these days.

So play it there? Not sure what he point of bringing that up is with regard to anything I said. I'm more speaking to how they are handling it from a marketing standpoint. MS is using 360 bc to directly target existing 360 owners because we are only a couple of years removed from them dominating the market and there are probably a shit load of 360 owners who might be on the fence with their next gen purchase. Sony seems to be positioning their ps2 emulation from a marketing standpoint as a rereleasing of select classic games. Considering how much of their focus with ps4 marketing seems to be hitting people brand new to the ps ecosystem, they might even be trying to market these as much to new gamers who may have heard about all these great, 15 year old ps2 games but have never had a chance play them. again, I don't necessarily agree and j think it would be good for Sony to offer some kind of license transfer for games that cross over between the two programs, but i don't see this is a direct answer to 360 bc.

Boke1879

That argument doesn't really work when the competition is doing exactly that.

Again. You don't know what licensing issues there are with PS2 games. These are games that are a decade old. Doesn't MS have to get permission from the publishers themselves to even get the games on their emulator?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck this shit. Especially the PS2 Classics part.
If they let us upgrade our existing PS2 Classics for a small fee (like how Wii VC games to Wii U VC games work) I would be partially ok with that. If no such option exists, they can go fuck themselves.

Garlador

And yours is good how?

Well, I actually responded at length earlier, sharing my personal opinions about how it was disappointing, saying how some of it was expected but some of it wasn't, weighing this against how the competition handles this, and expressing my hope that perhaps a license transfer could alleviate some of the sting. In this regard, BOTH Microsoft and Nintendo are doing better than Sony at backwards compatibility and allowing you to keep your old library on modern hardware.

Nobody likes to rebuy games they already own on a modern system if they don't have to, of course.

Vire

Again. You don't know what licensing issues there are with PS2 games. These are games that are a decade old. Doesn't MS have to get permission from the publishers themselves to even get the games on their emulator?
So only make certain games backwards compatible, just like only certain games will be available for "remaster". Not hard.

Capella

From my understanding, yes they do. You can't simply just put the disc in and start playing your game.

OfficerZap

Neo Member
I mean, sure, you could freak out now with no information.

Or....OR....wait for the details tonight/tomorrow?

Who says this isn't a "plop your CD in, get a free download for the game added to your account" situation?

AntMurda

Screw all you whining babies. I have a slew of PS2 games myself, but these enhancements are well worth the price of admission for me.

PS4 library is officially going to be insane!

Olengie

Don't wanna buy them again.

Well. If they re-released all the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona stuff, I'm more inclined.

labaronx

Can't they just get the license who bought Classics and give new PS2 version to them for free?

Its possible yes... will they? If its anything like some psone classics the license may have only been written for a select group of consoles and sony would have to seek permission from the publisher, that may explain why certain ps1 games never became vita compatible

cheesekao

Well, I actually responded at length earlier, sharing my personal opinions about how it was disappointing, saying how some of it was expected but some of it wasn't, weighing this against how the competition handles this, and expressing my hope that perhaps a license transfer could alleviate some of the sting.

Nobody likes to rebuy games they already own on a modern system if they don't have to, of course.
And all of that is based off speculation. How about you wait for official confirmation and THEN get angry. That sentence can be construed in two ways.

Top Bottom