• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Riskit4TheBiskit says four separate sources indicated there is a Hellblade 2 port for PS5

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't doubt there is a market for Xbox games on Playstation.
If only because there is a part of the PS5 installbase that used to own an Xbox.

What I'm curious to see, is the extent of interest among the Playstation installbase.
1% of the installbase on PS is at least double that of 1% on Xbox.
And like I said in my original post, no one is buying xbox consoles for HB2 and literally no other exclusives, why not bring these games to PS at this point, seems to me its extra money

Maybe try a reset with nextbox

I dunno

Killjoy-NL

And like I said in my original post, no one is buying xbox consoles for HB2 and literally no other exclusives, why not bring these games to PS at this point, seems to me its extra money

I dunno
Oh, I agree with you.
Tbh, it's the only thing that makes sense for MS at this point.

As for a nextbox, I really don't see the point in attempting to release one.
If one buys a PS5 or Switch, they can just wait for Xbox releases.

MS backed themselves into a corner completely.

Doesn’t really matter tho. There are going to be rumors like this for every MS game going forward.
Precisely rumors..some will be true most of them will be debunked. And rumors without any credible sources, like i have 4 sources (but i cant name them) is empty and void and belongs in tabloids, and apparently on social media on internet.
I had enough of Riskit4theBiskit and blocked is ass...

skit_data

I mean if Hi Fi Rush could come to PS5 I don't really see why Hellblade 2 would be off the table. They're within the same price range.

One could make the argument it even makes more sense Hellblade 2 would be fully multiplat than Hi Fi Rush being so, since the first game did release on PS.

Last edited:
Precisely rumors..some will be true most of them will be debunked. And rumors without any credible sources, like i have 4 sources (but i cant name them) is empty and void and belongs in tabloids, and apparently on social media on internet.
This guy unreliable? I personally think it depends on how successful HB2 is. Will it actually make a dent on PS5?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Does not really matter if its just rumors or not, the seed that MS isn't in it for the console business is planted and people will buy their console less and less. Forcing them faster and faster into the 3rd party role.

NickFire

I dunno
All of these changes may benefit the GP users most of all in the end. We've seen countless price increases to subs (movies and games), and there's been plenty of times big companies walk away from ideas that were not reaping sufficient profits. Selling GP games on Sony / Nintendo consoles may end up helping keep GP affordable on Xbox and PC longer than it otherwise would have.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yup. Not sure why some are surprised by this notion but I guess some folks actually believed Phil when he said it was just those 4 games and nothing else.

I'm sure we are gonna have this same dust up when both Indy and Starfield get announced for PS5, despite everyone already having heard that they are also coming already.
I was thinking Starfield would eventually come to PS5 before it was even released, but it would come two years later at full price. I've never been more confident in my prediction, but I suspect it will come before that.

My question is:

why not just release it now (or soon) and sell the DLC to PS fans instead of waiting for the complete edition?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What interests me in this whole bringing games to PS experiment is that clearly people do want to play these games with how well SoT was being preordered on PS

But like you said, not enough interest in them to actually buy even a Series S to play them.
This is an extremely important point that nobody talks about.

I've mentioned this a couple of times in the past on this forum. The truth is that these games were never gonna sell Xbox because (1) the majority owns a single console and (2) owning an Xbox meant letting go playing God of War, TLOU, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Final Fantasy, Spider-Man, Horizon, etc.

Xbox needed to target those single-console owners, and not position Series S as a secondary console for those who owned a PS5. That was a defensive approach, set out to fail from the start.

And the only way Xbox could have attracted those single-console owners was if their XGS games, on average, were much better than PS Studios games. That has simply not happened.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Honestly I will love to see MS exclusives on PS5 like Halo MC collection, Infinite ,GOW. Imagine cross play & how huge will MP community be.
They will actually revive the franchise.

saintjules

Why do you want a super long game that is full of fat? If it is a good 8 hours I'll take it over 100 hours where only 8 hours of the game is actually doing something.
Yup, can't please everyone. People are complaining there's too much to do in FF7 Rebirth and then you see comments that 8 hours isn't enough. Jeez.

I was thinking Starfield would eventually come to PS5 before it was even released, but it would come two years later at full price. I've never been more confident in my prediction, but I suspect it will come before that.

My question is:

why not just release it now (or soon) and sell the DLC to PS fans instead of waiting for the complete edition?
Most of the port work is not being handled internally, and it will take time since work on the PS5 sku largely stopped around the time the acquisition completed. BGS themselves are focused on delivering more fixes and DLC expansions to SF. Can't just hit the port button, especially on an engine as finicky as the one they use.

TBF, this dude was at the campus along with Colteastwood, Iron Lords and Jez Corden. I consider Jez alongside people like Parris, to have insider tracks with at least some decently high-up person at Xbox who communicates with them through PR as a middle point. Tom Warren would be another type of person.

This Riskit person is probably not as "high-level" as those three, but they're high-level enough to have been invited out to the campus with Aaron Greenberg. So they are probably aware of at least something going on with the multiplat strategy, which hasn't been publicly disclosed yet.

I wouldn't write off the Hellblade 2 rumor as complete bunk, given those circumstances.

What interests me in this whole bringing games to PS experiment is that clearly people do want to play these games with how well SoT was being preordered on PS

But like you said, not enough interest in them to actually buy even a Series S to play them.
Yep. IMO it's like Benji-Sales said. It's a brand problem at this point. The brand just isn't seen in a positive light anymore. To much negativity surrounding it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
TBF, this dude was at the campus along with Colteastwood, Iron Lords and Jez Corden. I consider Jez alongside people like Parris, to have insider tracks with at least some decently high-up person at Xbox who communicates with them through PR as a middle point. Tom Warren would be another type of person.

This Riskit person is probably not as "high-level" as those three, but they're high-level enough to have been invited out to the campus with Aaron Greenberg. So they are probably aware of at least something going on with the multiplat strategy, which hasn't been publicly disclosed yet.

I wouldn't write off the Hellblade 2 rumor as complete bunk, given those circumstances.
That is true.

But, man, we really don't need any more rumors at this point. It's clear as day that almost all XGS games will be ported to PS and Switch.

That is true.

But, man, we really don't need any more rumors at this point. It's clear as day that almost all XGS games will be ported to PS and Switch.

Yep; that Discord leak from back in January is more or less 100% happening, one way or another. Was never going to be overnight, but piece-by-piece over a period of time. But maybe faster than I was thinking.

Because for a moment I though that maybe Microsoft would be taking a half-in/half-out approach and weigh going more fully multi-plat with seeing if Xbox console sales and/or Game Pass subs grow significantly this year. Then I realized two critical things probably making both non-starters:

1: OG Xbox had a 40% YoY drop from it's 3rd calendar year to its 4th calendar year. XBS only did 16% better last year than OG Xbox's 3rd calendar year. Even if it manages to do as well this year, if the pattern holds the same XBS will barely pass 5 million for the entirety of 2024. That's terrible.​
2: I don't think MS has marketing rights to COD this year. This is the last year Sony have COD marketing rights, unless 2023 was actually the last year for them.​

So console sales potential this year for XBS is just garbage, and without COD marketing rights I don't know what big release MS can use to push Game Pass numbers to a high growth rate. 2023 really might've been the last year MS were willing to see how performance improved (or not) to continue committing to Xbox consoles and really pushing Game Pass.

They aren't going to sit around and eat more losses for 2024 so plans to go more fully multiplat might have accelerated because of the declines in 2023.

Yep; that Discord leak from back in January is more or less 100% happening, one way or another. Was never going to be overnight, but piece-by-piece over a period of time. But maybe faster than I was thinking.

Because for a moment I though that maybe Microsoft would be taking a half-in/half-out approach and weigh going more fully multi-plat with seeing if Xbox console sales and/or Game Pass subs grow significantly this year. Then I realized two critical things probably making both non-starters:

1: OG Xbox had a 40% YoY drop from it's 3rd calendar year to its 4th calendar year. XBS only did 16% better last year than OG Xbox's 3rd calendar year. Even if it manages to do as well this year, if the pattern holds the same XBS will barely pass 5 million for the entirety of 2024. That's terrible.​
2: I don't think MS has marketing rights to COD this year. This is the last year Sony have COD marketing rights, unless 2023 was actually the last year for them.​

So console sales potential this year for XBS is just garbage, and without COD marketing rights I don't know what big release MS can use to push Game Pass numbers to a high growth rate. 2023 really might've been the last year MS were willing to see how performance improved (or not) to continue committing to Xbox consoles and really pushing Game Pass.

They aren't going to sit around and eat more losses for 2024 so plans to go more fully multiplat might have accelerated because of the declines in 2023.

Man, it's really sad and infuriating that things have come to this. It's Phil's fault too. He managed to botch a year where they had 3 hugely anticipates games releasing and all 3 were failures in their own ways. This debacle only served to degrade people's confidence in the Xbox brand even further. Whether or not Starfield and Forza were financial successes doesn't matter when they were massive disappointments to core gamers. Phil had tunnel vision towards GamePass and the Activision deal and thar hurt the platform as they didn't get the basics right which is making great games that perform well!

Both MS and Sony have failed to live up to their promises of these two consoles delivering next gen games. Sony only appears to be doing so because Microsoft is so weak in comparison. Both companies focusing on PC has hurt their respective consoles. Sony first parties havn't done anything to utilize the SSD's as promised. Not sure why this isn't a problem for more gamers but many people have PC's so they're just happy to get exclusives from both companies. They've both been distracted and disregarding console owners this gen. Luckily for them console gamers have some of the lowest standards compared to previous generations.

Greed and misplaced ambition has hurt console gaming this generation. Damn shame.

Man, it's really sad and infuriating that things have come to this. It's Phil's fault too. He managed to botch a year where they had 3 hugely anticipates games releasing and all 3 were failures in their own ways. This debacle only served to degrade people's confidence in the Xbox brand even further. Whether or not Starfield and Forza were financial successes doesn't matter when they were massive disappointments to core gamers. Phil had tunnel vision towards GamePass and the Activision deal and thar hurt the platform as they didn't get the basics right which is making great games that perform well!

Yep the current situation with Xbox consoles is 100% on Phil. It makes people still trying to blame Don Mattrick (and, for his mistakes, he at least made sure XBO had some strong software the first year or two between Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, TitanFall, MCC (in theory), Forza Motorsport etc.) look like complete idiots. Phil Spencer has been deeply involved with and running Xbox longer than Mattrick ever did, and most of the actual problems affecting Series today were under Phil's watch.

I don't get the thinking behind Game Pass other than to try doing something different just for the sake of doing something different. But they rushed into it, as clearly, the industry didn't care for the service until a pandemic happened. And even then, the caring was only temporary.

Both MS and Sony have failed to live up to their promises of these two consoles delivering next gen games. Sony only appears to be doing so because Microsoft is so weak in comparison. Both companies focusing on PC has hurt their respective consoles. Sony first parties havn't done anything to utilize the SSD's as promised. Not sure why this isn't a problem for more gamers but many people have PC's so they're just happy to get exclusives from both companies. They've both been distracted and disregarding console owners this gen. Luckily for them console gamers have some of the lowest standards compared to previous generations.

Greed and misplaced ambition has hurt console gaming this generation. Damn shame.

A year or two ago I'd be saying it's a bit premature or foolish to put Sony in similar mention with Microsoft WRT potentially neglecting their core console demographic but now? Especially if we look at the totality of ports they've made to PC, will likely still make, and factor out the 3P exclusives...it does in fact look eerily similar.

I think people gloss over it more with Sony because it's not Day 1 for all games, but waiting a year or two to get a PC port isn't a big ask for a lot of PC gamers now, not like it may've been some years ago. They have many more 3P bringing games Day 1 to the platform, there are more indie releases (many PC-exclusive) than ever, and now they've got a backlog of Sony games to play anytime they want with more to come. Combine that with big titles like Baldur's Gate 3 being PC exclusives for a good length of time before they even go to consoles, and it's just making the choice easier for some to go PC over console over time.

Both Microsoft and Sony have created that problem for themselves, but at least Sony can make changes to stop these self-inflicted wounds and the damage from them. At least, before they fully crater interest in their console among hardcore & core enthusiasts. Microsoft could reverse course as well, but gaming is much less a pillar for their bottom line, the console especially so, and they have plenty of vested interests in PC. Sony doesn't have those luxuries and it'd be moronic if leadership there think they do.

That's not me saying Sony should divest from PC altogether: having a good number of GAAS titles there, some Day 1, makes sense. Bringing some remasters and remakes there makes sense. But their windows for the new non-GAAS 1P titles should be longer, and certainly they shouldn't be porting most of those games to the platform within a console generation. Just as big a problem, is Sony aren't bringing enough new 1P exclusives for the console to make up for what 1P games get ported to other platforms like PC.

So it's like, when the only thing at current separating Sony's PC strategy from Microsoft's is no Day 1 and no PC timed exclusives (yet), then you look at what few 1P they still have exclusive to their own console...the situation on that front doesn't look leaps better for PlayStation as some are thinking. I genuinely hope that changes for the better, and maybe it already has; it'd just take a bit of time for results to show it.

However, it never hurts to prepare for the possibility, they're doubling-down on the ports & may shorten the windows or even make many non-GAAS Day 1. It'd be the worst thing possible for the console brand, but there's always the small chance :/

Pelta88

Recent rumors about Hellblade 2 coming to PS5 are false, according to Microsoft insider Jez Corden.

(Published 5 hours ago)

Wasn't Jez calling XB exclusives on PS5 "Fantasy" a month before Phil Spencer and co and announced the porting of XB exclusives to PS?

Someone find the tweet for posterity.

Humdinger

This and Starfield will conclude the war is over. We can soon all go home boys

I'd say "or" rather than "and," but I agree otherwise.

I assume that most people here understand that ports to PS5/Switch are not going to be limited to just those few, rather unremarkable titles, but instead that this represents the start of a major shift in strategy for Microsoft. However, it's one thing to understand that, and another to have it clearly, unambiguously confirmed by Microsoft themselves. Their statements about this have been carefully crafted to avoid upsetting the already-upset console fanbase.

We all know it's coming, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I think either Starfield or Hellblade 2 would be that.

Klayzer

Sorry but limiting exclusives to new IPs is dumb. And Starfield is a new IP and he says that’s coming too, so I don’t understand what they’re doing. Zero thought of consequences. All of it. But I’m on PC now, if they want to kill their platform then keep going I don’t care.
And Sony is stupid too with the PC ports. Once you realize that everything will come and run and look better with access to mods, then why would you want a console version? They earn more money from ports but they do it at the cost of making their platform irrelevant.
Totally agree. Some companies are putting short term profits, ahead of growing their console base. My personal opinion, i think it erodes your platform over time.

Humdinger

I thought it was fascinating and very creative myself, but to each his own. The combat wasn't great, and the environmental puzzles were iffy, but the rest of it was remarkable -- the character herself, the projection of schizophrenia into a videogame, the sound/"voices," the graphics and atmosphere, some of the scenes... I'm not that enthused for Hellblade 2, but I enjoyed the first game. Very unique.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This post is so spot on, that you should have a job as a video game media member. Not sure why most people can't see things the way you just broke it down.

Is not Phil''s fault.

is Microsoft's

Both MS and Sony have failed to live up to their promises of these two consoles delivering next gen games. Sony only appears to be doing so because Microsoft is so weak in comparison.
I mean sony is delivering games the issue was COVID/Pivot towards GaaS. The gen is not over.

Both companies focusing on PC has hurt their respective consoles
"focusing in PC"? maybe MS.

but sony is using PC as a way make more money. PC is not the focus  of Play Station.

. Sony first parties havn't done anything to utilize the SSD's as promised.
they have used the SSD as promised.

Not sure why this isn't a problem for more gamers but many people have PC's so they're just happy to get exclusives from both companies. They've both been distracted and disregarding console owners this gen.
again MS is.

sony is very much taking care o lf its console users.

Luckily for them console gamers have some of the lowest standards compared to previous generations.
well, have you seen the most popular games on steam?

For MS.

Play Station and Nintendo are the ones keeping Consoles healthy.

Varteras

Gold Member
Hope being rewarded is always a beautiful thing, same as it is in this case.
Oh by the way! My apologies for never having got back with you about the state of the industry. You gave a great response. I hope things are okay for you and your colleagues amid all the layoffs and uncertainties. I did have a follow-up question in regards to the rounds of layoffs. What do you think needs to be done to stabilize things? The costs and timelines of these games are getting astronomical. Is that out of actual necessity? Is there serious bloat? A lot of times, those of us on the outside make assumptions. "Oh they were mismanaged" or "They should stop making certain games if they want better returns". I've been guilty of this. For someone in your position, what is your view on what needs to happen for the industry to avoid these things in the future as much as possible?

mrqs

Hope being rewarded is always a beautiful thing, same as it is in this case.

Having day one Xbox games on gamepass is enough for me to keep their console. I just quesiton myself for the next 10 years, if they skew more third-party and inevitably sell less consoles, would it have less third-party support? Who would spend millions porting their games to a platform that doesn't sell that much games.

That's concerning on the long term.

Oh by the way! My apologies for never having got back with you about the state of the industry. You gave a great response. I hope things are okay for you and your colleagues amid all the layoffs and uncertainties. I did have a follow-up question in regards to the rounds of layoffs. What do you think needs to be done to stabilize things? The costs and timelines of these games are getting astronomical. Is that out of actual necessity? Is there serious bloat? A lot of times, those of us on the outside make assumptions. "Oh they were mismanaged" or "They should stop making certain games if they want better returns". I've been guilty of this. For someone in your position, what is your view on what needs to happen for the industry to avoid these things in the future as much as possible?
We basically aren't going to see an end to the current set of layoffs for quite some time. A lot of external funders and financiers entered the industry in a mass gold rush over the last 7 years or so, and a lot of them are still seeking ways on how to cash out of their position, or to get their investments to continue to show growth. Layoffs are a means to an end in that sense, but really, non-gaming folks entering the industry and over-inflating everything with a hope of chasing growth only to cash out and cause a multi-year slump is basically cyclical at this point. The industry has gone through this at least twice now, and in the wake of the two earlier times (the infamous crash of the 80s and the exiting of Sega in the early 00s), we had a bunch of new studios and even publishers get propped up in the fallout of those times, many of whom are consolidating or being bought now.

You ask an interesting question - are the costs and dev timelines of these games ballooning to the current breaking point something born out of necessity? Honestly, I think the larger conversation on the turmoil the industry is now in is too focused on the Western Layoffs, and not nearly enough focus is being placed on how Asian dev teams and studios basically put very responsible development practices in place with very responsible budgets attached. There are, however, a ton of caveats that can and should be placed on this, but suffice it to say, the issues we're currently seeing are simply not affecting Eastern Game Devs and publishers, and this is despite some of them taking funding from questionable sources (like the Saudis basically taking over SNK or taking on a 10% stake in Capcom).

All you need to do is compare the last decade of releases from Square, Capcom, Sega, and Bamco, to some of the bigger Western devs and publishers to see that something is off. From Software went from being an obscure maker of niche RPGs to a studio that makes 10+m sellers, multiple of them in 6 years or so, in lofty and budget-expensive genres like open-world even, all while one studio like say, Rockstar, hasn't been able to get GTA6 out the door in that same time. Elden Ring, Tears of The Kingdom, Resident Evil 4 Remake, and FF7Rebirth (just as some notable examples), all come in at much lower budgets than some of the big western made games, but the other part of that is that the makers of those games were also producing other things in a short enough window near those games as well. A week after Sony closed down Studio London, Capcom announced they were increasing starting salary pay at Capcom by 25% and giving a pay adjustment to all remaining staff of over 5% + a bonus. Clearly the JP and other Asian devs, whether its MiHoYo with their consistent string of successes, South Korean game devs striking gold with Lies of P and the upcoming Stella Blade, or partnership publishing like how Bamco often helps Nintendo with projects like Smash Bros., or the Xenoblade devs helping on Zelda. Heck, Sega published two massive LAD-RPGs in the span of like, 6 years, whereas most Western game devs can't get 1 game out the door in that time frame. From 2017 - 2025, 8 years, Capcom will have released 5 massive monster hunter titles (World, Iceborn, Rise, Sunbreak, Wilds).

For a long time, Western devs pointed to the pandemic as the reason behind the delays and even increased budget, but the reality is the pandemic affected all studios all over the world, yet it seems to be the Western ones that simply haven't recovered, while JP devs are making large amounts of money producing games by making efficient dev pipelines that smartly reuse assets in order to cut costs. It should go without saying though: Eastern Game devs are far more likely to have work/life balance and are crunching on their projects, whereas crunch is far less common in western game devs nowadays, but even with that in mind, it doesn't make up for the lack of progress Western Game devs have made at fixiing their issues.

Prime culprit number 1 though is still that so much external funding entered gaming and sought to continue seeing unsustainable growth, and are cutting their losses and trying to collect on paydays now, or showcase continued growth in their investment positions to keep it going and attract more investors. This is an issue that affects all of tech though, as the influence of external funding has only increased, and all of tech has basically become a bunch of Jobs-wannabes, memorizing buzzwords and selling their tech pitches to get investors who have no fundamental idea on how tech is made to flock in, hoping that they are funding the next Facebook or Google, when almost all of it is smoke and mirrors.

The prevailing idea of the big VCs who enter tech is simply that, with increased investment, these tech pitches should simply find new audiences by virtue of them having more money than before. So when someone like Sony puts 3x the budget in SM2 over SM1, the expectation is this will bring in this many more users into the game, when the reality is that unless you're doing a wider release, you're gonna have an additional amount of users, instead of the exponential or multiplicative amount you thought over-investing would yield. That said, it does sound like Sony has gotten the message and is correcting course, while folks like 2K and Ubisoft are going to be doubling down. And while 2K can afford to simply due to GTA, i'm not sure Ubisoft has the wiggle room necessary to go on not learning their lesson.
Having day one Xbox games on gamepass is enough for me to keep their console. I just quesiton myself for the next 10 years, if they skew more third-party and inevitably sell less consoles, would it have less third-party support? Who would spend millions porting their games to a platform that doesn't sell that much games.

That's concerning on the long term.
For a number of years now, Game Pass's 3rd party funding was essentially acting as a slush fund to get games from devs who were openly skipping Xbox onto the platform once again. $1b a year in funding will get even the most conservative of publishers to give your platform a shot.

The reality is very different now for MS though. I expect to see a steady drop of 3rd party support in 25 and in 26 in particular. That said, Xbox has enough internal teams making games that can ensure a owner of their console at least has things to play, albeit there are still going to be a number of issues they need to solve, mainly finding new avenues to further monetize their userbase when they have shown significant resistance in purchasing now that GP changed the environment, but that also explains the expanded focus on 3rd party publishing on other platforms, which is a far bigger initiative than Spencer let on back in February.

All that said - if you enjoy gaming on their console now, I really can't envision that changing in the future. You're already bought into the eco, you enjoy GP, you must on some level enjoy their publishing output, and none of that is going to change.

Varteras

Gold Member
We basically aren't going to see an end to the current set of layoffs for quite some time. A lot of external funders and financiers entered the industry in a mass gold rush over the last 7 years or so, and a lot of them are still seeking ways on how to cash out of their position, or to get their investments to continue to show growth. Layoffs are a means to an end in that sense, but really, non-gaming folks entering the industry and over-inflating everything with a hope of chasing growth only to cash out and cause a multi-year slump is basically cyclical at this point. The industry has gone through this at least twice now, and in the wake of the two earlier times (the infamous crash of the 80s and the exiting of Sega in the early 00s), we had a bunch of new studios and even publishers get propped up in the fallout of those times, many of whom are consolidating or being bought now.

You ask an interesting question - are the costs and dev timelines of these games ballooning to the current breaking point something born out of necessity? Honestly, I think the larger conversation on the turmoil the industry is now in is too focused on the Western Layoffs, and not nearly enough focus is being placed on how Asian dev teams and studios basically put very responsible development practices in place with very responsible budgets attached. There are, however, a ton of caveats that can and should be placed on this, but suffice it to say, the issues we're currently seeing are simply not affecting Eastern Game Devs and publishers, and this is despite some of them taking funding from questionable sources (like the Saudis basically taking over SNK or taking on a 10% stake in Capcom).

All you need to do is compare the last decade of releases from Square, Capcom, Sega, and Bamco, to some of the bigger Western devs and publishers to see that something is off. From Software went from being an obscure maker of niche RPGs to a studio that makes 10+m sellers, multiple of them in 6 years or so, in lofty and budget-expensive genres like open-world even, all while one studio like say, Rockstar, hasn't been able to get GTA6 out the door in that same time. Elden Ring, Tears of The Kingdom, Resident Evil 4 Remake, and FF7Rebirth (just as some notable examples), all come in at much lower budgets than some of the big western made games, but the other part of that is that the makers of those games were also producing other things in a short enough window near those games as well. A week after Sony closed down Studio London, Capcom announced they were increasing starting salary pay at Capcom by 25% and giving a pay adjustment to all remaining staff of over 5% + a bonus. Clearly the JP and other Asian devs, whether its MiHoYo with their consistent string of successes, South Korean game devs striking gold with Lies of P and the upcoming Stella Blade, or partnership publishing like how Bamco often helps Nintendo with projects like Smash Bros., or the Xenoblade devs helping on Zelda. Heck, Sega published two massive LAD-RPGs in the span of like, 6 years, whereas most Western game devs can't get 1 game out the door in that time frame. From 2017 - 2025, 8 years, Capcom will have released 5 massive monster hunter titles (World, Iceborn, Rise, Sunbreak, Wilds).

For a long time, Western devs pointed to the pandemic as the reason behind the delays and even increased budget, but the reality is the pandemic affected all studios all over the world, yet it seems to be the Western ones that simply haven't recovered, while JP devs are making large amounts of money producing games by making efficient dev pipelines that smartly reuse assets in order to cut costs. It should go without saying though: Eastern Game devs are far more likely to have work/life balance and are crunching on their projects, whereas crunch is far less common in western game devs nowadays, but even with that in mind, it doesn't make up for the lack of progress Western Game devs have made at fixiing their issues.

Prime culprit number 1 though is still that so much external funding entered gaming and sought to continue seeing unsustainable growth, and are cutting their losses and trying to collect on paydays now, or showcase continued growth in their investment positions to keep it going and attract more investors. This is an issue that affects all of tech though, as the influence of external funding has only increased, and all of tech has basically become a bunch of Jobs-wannabes, memorizing buzzwords and selling their tech pitches to get investors who have no fundamental idea on how tech is made to flock in, hoping that they are funding the next Facebook or Google, when almost all of it is smoke and mirrors.

The prevailing idea of the big VCs who enter tech is simply that, with increased investment, these tech pitches should simply find new audiences by virtue of them having more money than before. So when someone like Sony puts 3x the budget in SM2 over SM1, the expectation is this will bring in this many more users into the game, when the reality is that unless you're doing a wider release, you're gonna have an additional amount of users, instead of the exponential or multiplicative amount you thought over-investing would yield. That said, it does sound like Sony has gotten the message and is correcting course, while folks like 2K and Ubisoft are going to be doubling down. And while 2K can afford to simply due to GTA, i'm not sure Ubisoft has the wiggle room necessary to go on not learning their lesson.

So it sounds like there was a significant amount of irresponsibility from multiple sources, and at different levels, in Western game development. You mentioned the differences between Sony, T2 (2K), and Ubisoft for lessons learned or not. Would you be willing to go into a little more detail as to how their situations and resolutions differ?

JackMcGunns

GEqJsCoW0AAvXki.jpg

Man I've never thought about that and you're 100% right. The crazy thing is no one is really talking about this. One thing is though a lot of these Japanese devs aren't trying to push the craziest graphics they can. I think that's probably a huge reason for the cost saving. I have to imagine not hiring outside DEI companies also saves them some money. I'm assuming these Japanese devs aren't hiring companies like this.

Top Bottom