• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: "Xbox baffled by the extend of rumors. Sources tell nothing set in stone for xbox ports apart from Hifi Rush and Sea of Thieves"

Topher

Gold Member
Was just in a WalMart 2 days ago and they still have space on shelves selling 2 different turntables and a rack of LPs

Only reason I know this is my wife is the one who pointed it out and even she said "Who is buying records these days?"

Seems someone is

Pretty much. When I see even new music coming out on both vinyl and CDs then it seems incredibly obvious to me that a market doesn't have to be large for business to sell to that market.

All this showed is how eager PlayStation fans are for Xbox to die and all the pathetic Xbox “ambassadors” melted like spoiled children

You mean you just now realized there are warriors in this console war?

Isa

Was just in a WalMart 2 days ago and they still have space on shelves selling 2 different turntables and a rack of LPs

Only reason I know this is my wife is the one who pointed it out and even she said "Who is buying records these days?"

Seems someone is
My sister is one of these hipsters. The lack of any meaningful low frequency sound really turns me off. This vinyl movement is somehow driven by nostalgia from people that have never used vinyl growing up. The generations that actually have experience with vinyl growing up, seem to be happy with leaving the technology in the past.
I get the contemplation about its viability, but records aren't just for hipsters in my opinion. In the metal underground vinyl has been still going for ages and one can get great editions or sets of albums at decent prices. Also other genres as well, such as OSTs for older movies and games. For many its the ambiance and experience. I can concur as well, for friends that have the setup, sitting back in a lit space absorbing the atmosphere and music can be ethereal, almost spiritual. But then again I prefer analog sounds and have grown to greatly dislike overproduced protools pop stuff.

I'm happy it survived as well as casettes, some albums and demos actually sound better on an intentionally mangled casette tape making the sound much more disturbing and twisted, perfect for some cosmic horror death metal.

drganon

Don't forget how much the videogames media is against Xbox! Instead of doing there damn job of quality control they were fanning the flames! Chaos drives viewers that was the rule of thumb this week!
325ff6012eea2d993a771ea7cc840d93d2f0f0153e44c1f167224d8106e68f47_1.jpg

DrFigs

This started with rumors of hifi and sot going over and now it's going to be a big win if they only admit that?

What I fell for was thinking the address next week was going to bring some kind of clarity but it's probably just going back to square one.
This is the power of copium. It's really powerful stuff.

Isa

This started with rumors of hifi and sot going over and now it's going to be a big win if they only admit that?

What I fell for was thinking the address next week was going to bring some kind of clarity but it's probably just going back to square one.
A political tactic as well. Say something absurd for some plan ahead, and then wait for any backlash. Then walk it back to a more "reasonable" medium but still pushing towards something that many don't want(reduction of rights, higher taxes etc). Its really a business tactic as well, bartering or haggling for example.

For me personally I've been waiting to see what MS say, since I own everything and have lately been maining Series X I have some investment in the system. But if they are going to just publish stuff elsewhere I'll stop buying there. Saves me money and I can coalesce my collection into a more cohesive state. Frankly this move or lack thereof by MS is stupid and they get what they deserve. No real exclusives is terrible business for a platform. And just as they were finally making headway into getting Asian support as well. Such a shame.

I don't intend to sell since I collect systems and games, and its another UHD drive my girl and I use frequently.

Danwan224

"Why aren't Microsoft taking about it"

Microsoft made a statement within 48 hours didn't they and said we will have a business update in a week.

If I was them I'd absolutely let these lunatics on all sides cook. Just let these people show their entire ass for a week.

These people have genuine jobs, could have meetings lined up and visits around the country or world to other places. But gaf, and the internet at large wants them to drop everything to talk about the future of xbox, which no one will believe anyway.

If I was them, and whatever it is...I'd let these people cook for as long as possible. Especially if itngenuinely was always going to be a nothing burger.
V5N2JH5.gif

Elios83

Don't forget how much the videogames media is against Xbox! Instead of doing there damn job of quality control they were fanning the flames! Chaos drives viewers that was the rule of thumb this week!

Lol the people that created and fueled all this are mostly within Microsoft's own network of shills.
You know Jez Corden, Tom Warren, Timdog, Xboxera and the likes so it's hilarious that you're accusing "media".
It's just a total PR fuck up based on internally leaked info where Microsoft was able to drive to meltdown the same tools they use to create and drive narratives for them.
Microsoft not denying anything but actually confirming there's a change in business/vision but needing time to be able to announce something coherent is just another amateur misstep, and again it's all on them not the media.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm giving a possible explanation for the insider/employee who leaked starfield then backtracked ( later Tom saying they don't actually know what will be done next week). That it might stem from the fact that that decision was not final. The possibility that the negative PR and people selling their consoles tipped that debate while they still needed time to look at the metrics and effect of making it multiplatform is very plausible.

The most likely explanation for the Starfield talk is that it was just speculation. Most of these people didn’t really stick their neck out with a strong degree of certainty, which is why you have people like Grubb eager to point out that they never said plans were firm.

I don’t believe any xbox exec would have been caught by surprise with respect to fan sentiment about more multiplatform ports.

Lol the people that created and fueled all this are mostly within Microsoft's own network of shills.
You know Jez Corden, Tom Warren, Timdog, Xboxera and the likes so it's hilarious that you're accusing "media".
It's just a total PR fuck up based on internally leaked info where Microsoft was able to drive to meltdown the same tools they use to create and drive narratives for them.
Microsoft not denying anything but actually confirming there's a change in business/vision but needing time to be able to announce something coherent is just another amateur misstep, and again it's all on them not the media.

Yeah, let’s pretend we don’t know folks were making threads here based on IGN articles, Zuby_Tech tweets, Grubb’s podcasts and datamines of Hi-Fi Rush.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
"Why aren't Microsoft taking about it"

Microsoft made a statement within 48 hours didn't they and said we will have a business update in a week.

If I was them I'd absolutely let these lunatics on all sides cook. Just let these people show their entire ass for a week.

These people have genuine jobs, could have meetings lined up and visits around the country or world to other places. But gaf, and the internet at large wants them to drop everything to talk about the future of xbox, which no one will believe anyway.

If I was them, and whatever it is...I'd let these people cook for as long as possible. Especially if itngenuinely was always going to be a nothing burger.

Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar business and what you're saying is absurd. Their "genuine jobs" are to literally make Xbox as profitable as possible.

Yes, they want to risk losing massive amounts of marketshare and consumer goodwill because they have a grudge against a couple dumbassess on YouTube and Twitter.

Last edited:

Three

The most likely explanation for the Starfield talk is that it was just speculation. Most of these people didn’t really stick their neck out with a strong degree of certainty, which is why you have people like Grubb eager to point out that they never said plans were firm.
Xboxera stuck their neck out and said it fairly confidently. Unless you're saying xboxera's xbox sources were speculating.
I don’t believe any xbox exec would have been caught by surprise with respect to fan sentiment about more multiplatform ports.
This is the opposite of what Tom Henderson is saying but who knows what the play is here.

MarkMe2525

I believe what caught them by surprise was how MS making good on their stated intentions to port "games that make sense, on a case by case basis", evolved into "Xbox is going to bring all 1st party games to PS5 and Switch 2" within a 72 hour timespan. Admittedly, I may have my timeline incorrect, as it was a lot happening rather quickly.

Edit: and of course, the rumors were not limited to this.

Edit edit: I wanted to add that if it was handled correctly, I don't find anything wrong with MS having staggered releases, which would result in their 1st party games heading to other consoles. I think Sony handles their PC ports well, so MS could roll out their 3rd party console ports in a similar manner.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Tom Warren reports at least one more "big" Xbox exclusive game that is coming to PS5, in addition to Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves.

No one does a business event with new strategy for Xbox future for HiFi Rush and SOT. Only the crazy fanboys still are on denial phase and remember guys most of mods, admins and even insiders from Era are xbox fanboys who are mad with all this.

MarkMe2525

No one does a business event with new strategy for Xbox future for HiFi Rush and SOT. Only the crazy fanboys still are on denial phase and remember guys most of mods, admins and even insiders from Era are xbox fanboys who are mad with all this.
Agreed, MS already stated their intent to port games "that made sense" on a case by case basis. We should believe them.

In my opinion though, it was the more radical rumors (leaving console space,
becoming a conventional 3rd party producer) which really started to rile the hardcore community up.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Agreed, MS already stated their intent to port games "that made sense" on a case by case basis. We should believe them.

In my opinion though, it was the more radical rumors (leaving console space,
becoming a conventional 3rd party producer) which really started to rile the hardcore community up.
No. That statement was in regards to Zenimax Bethesda games before the acquisition closed to appeal to regulators. 2 days after the acquisition closed, Phil changed his stance and said, "If you're an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you, that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists. That's our goal. That's why we're doing this."

And if the Sea of Thieves does get ported as per the rumors, that "case by case" statement doesn't cover that anyway.

MarkMe2525

No. That statement was in regards to Zenimax Bethesda games before the acquisition closed to appeal to regulators. 2 days after the acquisition closed, Phil changed his stance and said, "If you're an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you, that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists. That's our goal. That's why we're doing this."

And if the Sea of Thieves does get ported as per the rumors, that "case by case" statement doesn't cover that anyway.
?? Both statements can be true. Phil can port games, and still bring "great exclusive games to platforms where gamepass exists." These are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Bry0

Tom is reporting spin. MS doesn't have to calm the waters they just feed it to guys like Tom who do it for enthusiasts like us paying attention to it. "Only these 2 games are confirmed" Yeah technically I'm sure that's true but it would be surprising if it stopped right there. All that means to me is "the ink is still drying on the contracts for the other games" lol.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Tom is reporting spin. MS doesn't have to calm the waters they just feed it to guys like Tom who do it for enthusiasts like us paying attention to it. "Only these 2 games are confirmed" Yeah technically I'm sure that's true but it would be surprising if it stopped right there. All that means to me is "the ink is still drying on the contracts for the other games" lol.
Yep. Ports also usually happen one by one. No company would release all their games in one quarter and then leave nothing for the rest of the year. They always spread their revenue and avoid game sales cannibalization.

2-3 games may get announced for now. Other games will follow as they get ready and enough time passes between releases.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yep. Ports also usually happen one by one. No company would release all their games in one quarter and then leave nothing for the rest of the year. They always spread their revenue and avoid game sales cannibalization.

2-3 games may get announced for now. Other games will follow as they get ready and enough time passes between releases.

Timed exclusivity with late ports isn’t exactly the same as the ‘third party’ rumors that were everywhere in the last week.

I suppose we’ll know for sure next week

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
SoT Is a GaaS MMO and extremely popular with streamers. That game makes the most sense to port everywhere. A Switch 2 port to play it portable would be amazing.

DaGwaphics

Tom Warren: well-known member of that Xbox hating media.

These leaks seem to all originate from Xbox friendly outlets, that's what got the fans nervous. It kind of magnifies on you if you make the mistake of going down the social media rabbit hole with it. Others probably have as well and that triggers the overreactions. If it had originated from known PS fans or the sites that like taking shots at Xbox people wouldn't have bothered to pay attention to it.

If MS didn't want these leaks to happen, the shape shifting is probably just these guys trying to protect their sources.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm not buying that as Warren said this would be surprise everyone. Even before these latest rumors started there was speculation that Indy was going to PlayStation so that doesn't seem like something that would surprise anyone at all.

Nah. There wasn’t any speculation about Indy being multiplatform until this recent flurry. We already knew from last year that MS struck a deal with Disney to change it to a full exclusive title.

Topher

Gold Member
Nah. There wasn’t any speculation about Indy being multiplatform until this recent flurry. We already knew from last year that MS struck a deal with Disney to change it to a full exclusive title.

I recall plenty of speculation on that, but either way, the game Warren is talking about he says is factually coming to PS. Indiana Jones doesn't sound like that game considering what Warren said yesterday....

Top Bottom