• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony mobile announcements: Wild Arms, Arc The Lad, Disgaea, Square, 12+ games total

Pachimari

Whoa, so these are Sony's new mobile initiative?

I am so excited about Hot Shots Golf and Wild Arms. And Parappa too? Nice!

[edit] Wait, Disgaea as well!? Holy shit.

Gonna be positive.

Maybe Wild Arms on mobile will generate enough buzz and have them make a new, larger Wild Arms project on handhelds and consoles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is like what, 8-10 games so far?

I think one of those is talking about Square Enix as well?

At least no one can say they're not taking this seriously.

ggx2ac

Whoa, so these are Sony's new mobile initiative?

I am so excited about Hot Shots Golf and Wild Arms. And Parappa too? Nice!

If they release in the west, they're only planned for Asia which also explains the lack of a worldwide stream for this event.

Some Nobody

Okay, two things:

*sees Wild Arms and Arc the Lad as mobile projects, cries his eyes out*

...Alright, now that's done. Also, didn't we hear from some insider about digital revivals of old Playstation IPs? Anyone else remember that, or am I tripping?

I'm shocked by the number of games ForwardWorks actually has in development given the partnership was revealed in March.

I'm guessing these games releasing only in japan and Asia is an admission that ps4 alone won't carry those markets for Sony. If it were about IP awareness they'd be global releases much like Nintendo's, but Nintendo knows its IP drives hardware sales.

Ray Down

Banned
Okay, two things:

*sees Wild Arms and Arc the Lad as mobile projects, cries his eyes out*

...Alright, now that's done. Also, didn't we hear from some insider about digital revivals of old Playstation IPs? Anyone else remember that, or am I tripping?

Parapa and Wipeout.

Gemeanie

Holy shit this is great news. I expected garbages like Uncharted: Fortune Hunter

I'd say many mobile games have grown a lot more free users friendly and the platform used to be.

Doubt these games will come the western any time soon too so haters who prefer these IPs dead than mobile game treatment can still sleep well:)

Shouta

Having the original AtL staff as a part of the project is really amazing even if it's a mobile project.

ggx2ac

CzDsOMLXAAA-ete.jpg

Some Nobody

Anyway, having the original AtL staff as a part of the project is really amazing. I

Really? Hm. I feel like if the tech ever caught up to mobile phones and maybe devs could break away from gacha mechanics we could really have a renaissance for a lot of JP games.

Already showing Nintendo how it's done.

I'm not sure announcing ten games six months after the partnership is an indicator of quality...

Nintendo is designing their mobile games in-house by a team led by Takashi Tezuka, from the two games announced so far it's evident that they are extremely polished and designed specifically to fit a smartphone.

The whole point of Nintendo's mobile games is to generate IP awareness and get people buying the Switch. They don't need 10 games out before the Switch has even launched.

Pachimari

If they release in the west, they're only planned for Asia which also explains the lack of a worldwide stream for this event.

I would imagine them releasing in the West too, since these are ForwardWorks' projects. Also, the Hot Shots Golf pic has Everybody's Golf written on it, which is the European brand of the series.

duckroll

Wait, Square Enix is developing a brand new original mobile title called Sora to Umi no Aida created by Oji Hiroi of Tengai Makyou and Sakura Taisen fame?!

Not gonna lie, seeing Arc the Lad and Wild Arms as mobile games instead of console/handheld games feels kinda like a punch in the stomach.

I would imagine them releasing in the West too, since these are ForwardWorks' projects. Also, the Hot Shots Golf pic has Everybody's Golf written on it, which is the European brand of the series.

uhh... jp title for the series is everybody's golf

Wait, Square Enix is developing a brand new original mobile title called Sora to Umi no Aida created by Oji Hiroi of Tengai Makyou and Sakura Taisen fame?!

I thought that game is separate from sqex project stuff?

The ForwardWorks' partnership press release back in March stated the titles are aimed at Japan and Asia only. The English text in the Minna no Golf logo is probably for the wider Asian market.

It depends on what Sony's goals are with mobile, if it's to generate IP awareness and hardware sales like Nintendo, then there's even less need to release them in other markets as the PS4 is already market leader.

I suspect it's really to generate profits in regions where PS4 isn't so strong - it'd be a more effective way than doing another handheld whose success isn't even guaranteed at this point, and that'd cost a phenomenal amount compared to relatively little for these games.

Gemeanie

Don't worry, we haven plenty of time for someone who can actually read Japanese to tell us all about what's happening.
I can understand his tweets but I have no idea what the hell My First Sony and the gadgets in the photos are

Edit: Sounds like Yokai Watch will be the debut title for this Project Field thing

Edit2: And that's it lmao

DMNBT

Neo Member
Fuck everything.

Unless some miracle occurs, I don't see WA leaving Asia (and I don't have a smartphone anyways...)

Pachimari

uhh... jp title for the series is everybody's golf
The Japanese name is Mina no Golf. Everybody's Golf might be the Asian title though.

The ForwardWorks' partnership press release back in March stated the titles are aimed at Japan and Asia only. The English text in the Minna no Golf logo is probably for the wider Asian market.

I thought Sony's push into mobile games would be worldwide, like Nintendo. Hopefully they change their minds, and broaden their scope to include the West.

The Japanese name is Mina no Golf. Everybody's Golf might be the Asian title though.

I thought Sony's push into mobile games would be worldwide, like Nintendo. Hopefully they change their minds, and broaden their scope to include the West.

they started to put everybody's golf on the logo, at least since the 5th game
edit: seems 3rd game
510BP68XQ4L._SY445_.jpg

Takao

Banned
Project Field is a TCG platform mixing real life cards with mobile gaming:
CzDuAwgW8AAYhIZ.jpg

(Pretending Eye of Judgment didn't exist lol)

Using that, a Yo-Kai Watch collab with Bandai has been confirmed:
CzDuMoeXcAAc8Li.jpg

Minna no Golf is literally Everybody's Golf. I think the new PS4 game uses English in its Japanese logo.

boingball

I was wondering what happened to Hot Shots Golf. Now I know. Probably makes sense for Sony Japan to go full mobile, their handheld flopped (thanks to their own mistakes though) and consoles are quite dead.

Top Bottom