• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony mobile announcements: Wild Arms, Arc The Lad, Disgaea, Square, 12+ games total

expel

Sony is making a device that can read trading cards games and show on a display apparently, and the first game n cards will support this is Youkai watch with Level 5 and Bandai (making cards)

Bishop89

wild arms
tDXwZIY.gif

I was wondering what happened to Hot Shots Golf. Now I know. Probably makes sense for Sony Japan to go full mobile, their handheld flopped (thanks to their own mistakes though) and consoles are quite dead.

There's a new HSG in development for the PS4. But it's pretty ambitious so it won't be out until next year.

Here's a tweet from Playstation Japan about WA, can anyone translate it?

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_jp/status/806400019658145792

The Yokai collab is pretty interesting and suggests this could be more about just generating revenue than driving users to Sony's platform to play specific games.

It feels more like this will be a new gaming platform of sorts tied to mobile games - with Sony and ForwardWorks providing dev support and tools or something. So Sony can keep releasing handheld games (which varying business models) but on a platform people care about already.

this to me, feels like the successor to the Vita since this Sony mobile platform (that will no doubt require a Sony account) is going to be many users' first interaction with modern PlayStation.

duckroll

Nippon Ichi is bringing Yowamari and the Disgaea franchise to mobile as well, in collaboration with ForwardWorks. No details yet.

duckroll

Okay slight correction from earlier.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_jp/status/806403455329902592

This is Sora to Umi no Aida. It is the first brand new original title from ForwardWorks, and is the creation of Oji Hiroi. He is also serving as the chief director of the project.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_jp/status/806401318306934784

This on the other hand is the tweet announcing that ForwardWorks is collaborating with Square Enix on a project, but the details will be announced in the near future (maybe within a week or so).

They are two different games, not the same thing.

Okay slight correction from earlier.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_jp/status/806403455329902592

This is Sora to Umi no Aida. It is the first brand new original title from ForwardWorks, and is the creation of Oji Hiroi. He is also serving as the chief director of the project.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_jp/status/806401318306934784

This on the other hand is the tweet announcing that ForwardWorks is collaborating with Square Enix on a project, but the details will be announced in the near future (maybe within a week or so).

They are two different games, not the same thing.

Finally Sony has a waifu IP of their own.

Takao

Banned
Actually surprised no one asked what the fuck are those.

So, what the fuck are those?

An ancient (80s?) line of electronics called "My First Sony" aimed at kids. That slide was used in preparation for the Project Field announcement.

KiDdYoNe

An ancient (80s?) line of electronics called "My First Sony" aimed at kids. That slide was used in preparation for the Project Field announcement.

Quick google search showed something but I was really wondering why they are showing these. Thanks!

Wild Arms eh.Such fond memories of it,now being made for mobile...at some point I really should give mobile gaming a shot,maybe this is the time

Philippo

Just woke up and read the words SONY. CONFERENCE. WILD. ARMS.

I immediately press the thread and only while its loading i notice that there's also a MOBILE in there, only to see the images in OP.

Worst morning ever.

I wonder if that Disgaea game will be a straight port of the first game.

I'd be down for that, it's one I never played much of because of the time investment needed, but on a phone it would be perfect for playing here and there.

ggx2ac

Google translate of the press release.

Efforts utilizing Sony Interactive Entertainment's PlayStation® title IP * 3

As a first game of FW smart phone game application, delivery of the national golf game "Mingol" in the spring of 2017, action puzzle game in the summer as the second "We are finished with the courage of the brave DASH! Delivered.
Original staff joined the new game application for smartphones based on PlayStation® masterpiece RPG "Arc The Rad" and "Wild Arms" and produced each.
A series of new game applications for smartphones based on the popular series "Dokodemoiso", "Rappa wrapper", and "Natsuyasumi mine" of PlayStation® are delivered sequentially.
Approach to creation of new IP

As the first part of FW original content, he produced a game application for smartphones, "Sora and Umida Ida", which Mr. Oji studied as an original and general manager.
Efforts with Software Manufacturers

Co-produced game application for smartphone of Nippon Ichi Software Co., Ltd. "Night time", "Makai Senki Disgaea" series.
Jointly work on new challenges in SQUARE ENIX and mobile market.
Efforts towards the platform "Project FIELD" developed by Sony Corporation (hereinafter Sony)

Taking advantage of FW's entertainment know-how, we will work with Sony to expand the content of "Project FIELD".
Produce and provide content for "Project FIELD".
As the first part of FW's "Project FIELD" content, we collaborated with Level 5, Inc. and Bandai Co., Ltd. and produced the "Yokai Watch" series.

duckroll

Before anyone gets too excited, I need to remind people what the creators of Arc the Lad and Wild Arms have been doing all these years.

After leaving Square Enix, Tsuchida joined GREE. The game he was most involved in as creative director while at GREE was this one: http://app.famitsu.com/20130816_208373/

More recently he restarted G-Craft (who are probably working on Arc the Lad), and made this: http://vd.dmm.com/playguide/play_manual/

So... while it would be cool to think that the new Arc the Lad is just like the originals, there's every possibility it's just another "normal" mobile game.

Rixa

Wow, Doko Demo, Wild Arms and BokuNatsu are coming back.

But to mobile. :'(

Project Field is a TCG platform mixing real life cards with mobile gaming:
CzDuAwgW8AAYhIZ.jpg

(Pretending Eye of Judgment didn't exist lol)

I have to imagine the cards are using NFC tech, which would make compatibility a pain for existing TCGs.

I guess its too much to hope that they bring Vita (rip) title Destiny of Spirit's to mobile:

2013-10-27-184609.jpg

Pic from DoS beta.

Parham

Banned
What are the odds any of these come to west? In theory, I would be totally down for Hot Shots Golf on mobile (premium or F2P).

duckroll

Minna no Golf is developed by Drecom.
No More Heroes Dash is SIE WWS Japan Studio
Arc the Lad is AltPlus.
Wild Arms is Wright Flyer Studios
Sora to Umi no Aida is ForwardWorks

Everything else is TBA.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What are the odds any of these come to west? In theory, I would be totally down for Hot Shots Golf on mobile (premium or F2P).

Generally, only mobile games that both succeed in Japan, and are seen to have success potential in the West, end up getting localized.

AniHawk

I wonder if that Disgaea game will be a straight port of the first game.

I'd be down for that, it's one I never played much of because of the time investment needed, but on a phone it would be perfect for playing here and there.

it looks like they're using laharl as the selling point since he's much more recognizable, but the cast behind him is from 5.

duckroll

Fuck it, I'll take whatever I can for Wild Arms. Original team has me cautiously optimistic

When they say "original team" they mean "the creators who worked on the old games, but have since left their original companies and started up new businesses targeting the smartphone and multimedia audiences for many years now".

This is important to understand in setting expectations right. Wild Arms' Kaneko for example, has been much more active in recent years developing the anime series Symphogear, rather than working on actual games.

Top Bottom