• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony official financial report (10/25),PS3 worldwide sales revealed

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
DCharlie said:
9 million - they are targetting 11 million in this fiscal year, they are at 2 million at end of Q2.
we were talking about what they said (in PR) they will ship by March 07 (6 million). we are not talking about march 08 forecasts (FY07 = 11 million).

DCharlie said:
25 million software units sold , 5 million h/w units for a tie ration of 5.

I wonder what sold what to make 25 million sales?

circa 40 official games to date right?
625,000 average per game?

um.... that doesn`t sound right?

Includes downloadable online games maybe?
More then likely the same situation sales agers found in earlier Nintendo financials.

Those are just shipped titles. Not sold.

DCharlie

Banned
oh right, sorry - my mistake. Financial years/real years... gah.

From all people you should know better companies cannot afford to be delusional in their financial statement. They can ..umm.. get sued?

erm...

Grayman

DCharlie said:
I think MS discovered that $399 -still- isn`t the magic spot either.

I expect an upturn in PS3`s fortunes but i certainly don`t see it going as high as Sony expect (due to a number of factors : Still the most expensive, people REALLY like Nintendo these days, the Wii is always going to make X360/PS3 look like the expensive option whilst it remains the most popular etc)

we shall see i guess.
Very true, 399 isn't near the sweat spot but I think it is a LOT better than 599. Also while not a large market, I think everyone I Canada paid 399 or more for their PS2 in the first 2 or 3 years?

MikeB

Banned
tehbear said:
2006 Q3 1660000
2006 Q4 1910000
2007 Q1 710000
2007 Q2 1310000

total 5.59 million

Isn't this in line with previous financial reports? I would like to know how many units Sony sold in Q3 2007.

DCharlie

Banned
Those are just shipped titles. Not sold.
well for Q1 and Q2 figures, they are sold - according to the financial notes.

So, Sony sold 10 million game units between July - September.

that seems very high if it`s just retail games doesn`t it? or is it just me being a hators?! ;)

AniHawk

Nuclear Muffin said:
Remember this is shipped to retailers, not sold to consumers. 5.5 mil is not good when the real number of actual sales is more like 4mil!

No. After last year, Sony supposedly switched from shipped to sold for their numbers. But they've HAD at least 5.5m on the market since March. They didn't sell all of THAT until the end of September.

Grayman

The financial statements aren't audited. I don't know about Japan GAAP.

In Canada, they are supposed to be conservative with estimates, but being unaudited they can write something remotely reasonable and won't get called on it professionally. Shareholders might be ticked off but there isn't a huge repercussion for setting the bar too high.

Jokeropia

Gadfly said:
we were talking about what they said (in PR) they will ship by March 07 (6 million). we are not talking about march 08 forecasts (FY07 = 11 million).
Actually that was originally a forecast, and one that they even stuck with well into 2007.
Anihawk said:
No. After last year, Sony supposedly switched from shipped to sold for their numbers. But they've HAD at least 5.5m on the market since March. They didn't sell all of THAT until the end of September.
Before last year, they reported "production shipments" which essentially means manufactured. These new figures are "sold" to retailers, which is the same definition MS and Nintendo use for shipped.

DCharlie said:
well for Q1 and Q2 figures, they are sold - according to the financial notes.

So, Sony sold 10 million game units between July - September.

that seems very high if it`s just retail games doesn`t it? or is it just me being a hators?! ;)
I'd say it seems a little high.

But then again so am I.

*cough*

Gadfly

AniHawk said:
I think they shifted from "manufactured" to "shipped to retailers".

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
AniHawk said:
No, how can someone use estimated sales numbers in a financial report

Gadfly

MikeB said:
@ Gadfly

Wasn't it actually shipped to warehouse vs sold to retail?
Yes I believe so. and shipped to warehouse is essentially the same as manufactured (or people concluded as such).

J-Rzez

TerryLee81 said:
Lightning is here, J-Rzez just arrived, now only the spinwolf is missing.

I forgot that only people with a not so hidden hatred for Sony can post in threads like these... Funny though, whenever I post in 360 and PC threads pushing the good of them, I don't get the same reaction, nor people questioning my comments... Oh well...

Gadfly

oo Kosma oo said:
This means PS3 is selling right about the same as the 360 in the first year right?
Maybe, but I think last October the expectation was they would sell a lot more. Price and releasing only a few AAA titles notwithstanding.

AniHawk

J-Rzez said:
I forgot that only people with a not so hidden hatred for Sony can post in threads like these... Funny though, whenever I post in 360 and PC threads pushing the good of them, I don't get the same reaction, nor people questioning my comments... Oh well...

When you come in here with "much better than expected," you're not providing any timeframe. Better than expected over the past few months, maybe. Better than expected a year ago at this time, fuck no.

MikeB

Banned
Overall my take on the report, $645 million quarterly profit is good enough for Sony. Of course it must be a little sobering that a company like Nintendo with such a narrow range of product offerings and about 56 times fewer employees, almost generated twice as many profits.

PS3 sales of more than 1 miilion units to retail for the 2nd quarter isn't bad at all, at least in my eyes. I have high expectations for November and December enduser sales for both Europe and the US. IMO Sony doesn't have to rush with regard to Japan, there are enough high profile anticipated games underway for Japan to built up momentum later on (the XBox 360 is already a long term non-factor in Japan).

Haunted

Looking good for Sony, but not so much for the gaming division. Man, the PS3 is turning out to be a black hole for them. Wonder if they'll ever make money with that thing. At least the PS2 and the PSP (even if it's only HW) are still selling quite nicely, so the losses the gaming division incurs are substantial, but not 'OMG doomed! worthy.

Phife Dawg said:
Yep, Ireland has a population of a whopping 4M! That's almost half of London! Big news indeed. But let's wait for the trends from Luxemburg before we jump to any conclusions.
oh snap. :lol

I may not understand shite about those numbers, but they do look pretty good and on the line with previous Playstations to me (at least with PS2)

J-Rzez

AniHawk said:
When you come in here with "much better than expected," you're not providing any timeframe. Better than expected over the past few months, maybe. Better than expected a year ago at this time, fuck no.

I think people expected the console to take off more since the few beginning months, but I'm talking about after all the doom and gloom the PS3 has been receiving for better than half of the time it's been on the shelves... You would've thought that they haven't made a console in months that nobody is buying them... It'll be interesting to see how things may pan out through the following year though, especially with big titles hitting and the price receiving some cuts...

Gadfly

AniHawk said:
When you come in here with "much better than expected," it's pretty laughable, since you're not providing any timeframe. Better than expected over the past few months, maybe. Better than expected a year ago at this time, fuck no.
I think these numbers are in-line with GAF expectation in last few months. I don't see any surprises here either way. in particular since these numbers represent retail shipment and not sales to end users, it is hard to say if they are that different from current consensus.

The number for the next two quarters (9 million) is a lot more interesting and looks like few people (even Sony fans) are ready to get behind them.

Grayman said:
The financial statements aren't audited. I don't know about Japan GAAP.

In Canada, they are supposed to be conservative with estimates, but being unaudited they can write something remotely reasonable and won't get called on it professionally. Shareholders might be ticked off but there isn't a huge repercussion for setting the bar too high.

Sony is listed on the US stockmarket (isn't it?) and is subject also to US SEC regulations. Fibbing on financial statements could equal jail time.

But it's the forward looking statements we are looking at, and those are different. It would take willfull fraud to get nailed for that.

Given current JP/NPD PS3 consumer sales, world wide PS3 sales would be about another 2 million not counting the holiday bump in 6 months (two quaters). It looks like Sony expects to move about 7 million PS3s over the holiday season world wide.

Gadfly

Tyrannical said:
Sony is listed on the US stockmarket (isn't it?) and is subject also to US SEC regulations. Fibbing on financial statements could equal jail time.

But it's the forward looking statements we are looking at, and those are different. It would take willfull fraud to get nailed for that.

Given current JP/NPD PS3 consumer sales, world wide PS3 sales would be about another 2 million not counting the holiday bump in 6 months (two quaters). It looks like Sony expects to move about 7 million PS3s over the holiday season world wide.
Q4 (ending March 08) is a big quarter for Sony. I think they would do better than 2 million. It is like their "Halo" quarter.

Gadfly said:
I think these numbers are in-line with GAF expectation in last few months. I don't see any surprises here either way. in particular since these numbers represent retail shipment and not sales to end users, it is hard to say if they are that different from current consensus.

The number for the next two quarters (9 million) is a lot more interesting and looks like few people (even Sony fans) are ready to get behind them.
I actually think it's lower since many on GAF was pegging on Warhawk, Heavenly Sword and the $100 price cut as the start of the PS3 renaissance. Just talking about NPD here since these financial numbers are still sold to retailers, not end users.

One question, why do people keep on saying that sold to retailers are essentially "sold"(in Sony and Microsoft's case). Can't retailers just return the unsold units back to Sony(And MS) if they start sitting on longer periods than they do now?

SickBoy

Haunted One said:
Looking good for Sony, but not so much for the gaming division. Man, the PS3 is turning out to be a black hole for them. Wonder if they'll ever make money with that thing. At least the PS2 and the PSP (even if it's only HW) are still selling quite nicely, so the losses the gaming division incurs are substantial, but not 'OMG doomed! worthy.

Yep... knowing that both PS2 and PSP are almost certainly doing pretty well in terms of profitability, it makes one wonder what the numbers would look like solely for the PS3... I think it's going to pick up some momentum with the price drops, but even then, I think it's a relatively long road yet to black ink...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
The previous Q`s will still be counted under the old method right?
They actually report both on their website - so you can now compare production shipments to retail shipments on quarterly basis if you enjoy that kind of thing :p

Gadfly said:
Q4 (ending March 08) is a big quarter for Sony. I think they would do better than 2 million. It is like their "Halo" quarter.

How? Doesn't MGS come out end of march? I don't think it will do Halo numbers.

I don't think too many people make big console purchases after Christmas. If they don't buy a PS3 then, I don't think Feb/Mar are going to be huge PS3 months.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
camineet said:
PS3 has sold more than I thought... I thought they were in the 4-5m range.

catching up.
How is currently selling less than their competitors catching up?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
Well you COULD nitpick Nintendo's report the same way while you're at it.
Anyway I didn't see you questioning at the fact that PS2 has had 200M+ software units for three years in a row(and will be close to 200M this year again), even though adding up various MediaCreate/NPD numbers would never even remotely add up to it.
I guess it must mean that every year retailers incinerate unsold software so they can order more of the same.

And you don't have production shipment excuses with games either - Sony doesn't make decisions about units of 3d party software units printed.

Vagabundo

Fafalada said:
Well you COULD nitpick Nintendo's report the same way while you're at it.
Anyway I didn't see you questioning at the fact that PS2 has had 200M+ software units for three years in a row(and will be close to 200M this year again), even though adding up various MediaCreate/NPD numbers would never even remotely add up to it.
I guess it must mean that every year retailers incinerate unsold software so they can order more of the same.

And you don't have production shipment excuses with games either - Sony doesn't make decisions about units of 3d party software units printed.

How much software does get dumped per year?

Any of the store drones know what happens to the stuff that doesnt sell? Rebate from pubs?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Vagabundo said:
How much software does get dumped per year?
I have no idea honestly.
I do know that the unit numbers that go untracked by certain popular trackers are quite large though - granted it's budget priced stuff, but in the end it doesn't matter if game sold for 50cents or 500$, it will get counted in same numerical units on financial report of the manufacturer.

Vagabundo

Fafalada said:
I have no idea honestly.
I do know that the unit numbers that go untracked by certain popular trackers are quite large though - granted it's budget priced stuff, but in the end it doesn't matter if game sold for 50cents or 500$, it will get counted in same numerical units on financial report of the manufacturer.

I never really though about it but the retailers have the power to make or break systems and games. I'm sure they have to be conservative in what they buy and how much the buy.

They would prefer something to sell out rather than have an over stock.

Still it depends on whether pubs buy back unsold games. I'm not too up on that, I know there is a rebate for mags and news papers.

Gadfly

Kotaku' apparently thinks the results show things are "looking up" for Sony.

Finally! Things are starting to look up for embattled Sony.

They also have this to say about the new (3 months old?) reporting system:

Also, Sony has changed the way it reports hardware and software unit sales. Instead of counting shipped units, it now counts actual sold units.

Am I the only one that thinks this is misleading and can be interpreted as sold to customers and not retail?

Top Bottom