• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Q1 PS3 Hardware Sales Up 118 % Year-on-Year

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Baki said:
Following the trends from the last 3 FY for Sony. Their is a general trend of 50% increase from Q1 --> Q2 (most likely because of the inclusion of 1 holiday month, September).

So they should be able to ship around 3.6M to 3.2M units next quarter.

I dunno if that bump will hold through now that there's a higher level of sales, if we'll see the same level of increase.

Also, this quarter is quiet for Sony, Move asides...last year in the same quarter had the first Slim shipments which was obviously a huge deal, and there isn't anything like that this year. I'm skeptical of Move's ability to significantly shift new hardware. We shall see though, it's an interesting time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
To expand on gtj1092's post, they did actually give some numbers for the games business for this quarter.

Sales up 28% YoY to 142bn yen.

A profit of 0.5bn yen (an improvement of 34.5bn yen YoY).

As gtj1092 notes, they say the games business has been profitable the last 3 quarters, and they expect it to be profitable for this full FY.

Higher than expected numbers for PS3, PSP and PS2. Very good, PS2 SW is finally dying though (used games+piracy is the obvious guess). Time to put up a PSTwo classic on PSN Sony....though considering the PSOne classics output, I'm not sure that's a good idea lol Next Quarter will be interesting. It is possible, even likely, that the 360 will outship the PS3 then.

I'm also guessing that the loss for the network division is due to the Vaio recalls.

LyR

Banned
dear god why do you care

seriously why care for rich companies and their sale figures even though you don't work for them (or invest in Sony/own Sony stocks)

they don't give a fuck about you, they make their efforts not to please you but to make more money

don't you guys have any other REAL problems or stuff to worry about, I mean come on if that's your only problem then you guys might have good lives but also a very boring ones

Baki

gofreak said:
I dunno if that bump will hold through now that there's a higher level of sales, if we'll see the same level of increase.

Also, this quarter is quiet for Sony, Move asides...last year in the same quarter had the first Slim shipments which was obviously a huge deal, and there isn't anything like that this year. I'm skeptical of Move's ability to significantly shift new hardware. We shall see though, it's an interesting time.

I didn't account for FY09 Q1->Q2 bump (which was about 300% increase). I looked at FY08 and FY07. Both FY had uneventful summers.

LyR said:
dear god why do you care

seriously why care for rich companies and their sale figures even though you don't work for them (or invest in Sony/own Sony stocks)

they don't give a fuck about you, they make their efforts not to please you but to make more money

don't you guys have any other REAL problems or stuff to worry about, I mean come on if that's your only problem then you guys might have good lives but also a very boring ones

Take your own advice. Kthnx.

LosDaddie

Banned
Good for Sony. While I'm not interested, I think GT5 will be another mega-hit for the console and move units.

OldJadedGamer said:
The battle for second place rages on! Who will be the victor? Will it even matter? Stay tuned!!!

Pretty much

Serenity

LyR said:
dear god why do you care

2/10

DMeisterJ

Banned
LyR said:
dear god why do you care

1/10

Discussing sales and 'caring' are two different things. Discussions are fun, especially when paired with previous comments about the console race. It'll also be nice to not hear 'Sony am doomed' articles in the near future for a while.

Segata Sanshiro said:
If you aren't interested in having discussion about sales of games, here's a tip: don't click on threads about quarterly sales results, fool.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

LyR said:
dear god why do you care

Hey, it's a discussion board about games. And it's a thread about sales of said games. It kind of goes without saying that people are in here to discuss sales of games, which is no more or less worthy a topic of discussion than anything around here. It's not like prattling on about how much you love the graphics in the latest game is curing fucking cancer, either.

If you aren't interested in having discussion about sales of games, here's a tip: don't click on threads about quarterly sales results, fool.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
LyR said:
dear god why do you care

68319-1233270730-87114.gif

SSJ1Goku

Banned
gofreak said:

I honestly believe Slimmer PS3 will launch in the Spring.

SSJ1Goku said:
I honestly believe Slimmer PS3 will launch in the Spring.

Any news on the 32nm Cell? If there is a 32nm Cell on the new 160GB - 320GB models and if they can get RSX down to 30-32nm, then I can see a proper PSThree next year.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Any news on the 32nm Cell? If there is a 32nm Cell on the new 160GB - 320GB models and if they can get RSX down to 30-32nm, then I can see a proper PSThree next year.

Somebody had a time table of the Cell and/or RSX shrinkage and if I remember correctly the next smaller size was indeed estimated for Spring.

Baki

AranhaHunter said:

They'll probably just wait till September 2011 and do a $100 price cut (to $199/€199/£179.99). This is because Jan - August are generally much slower months than Sept - Dec. and they can easily clear stock using bundles instead.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Baki said:
They'll probably just wait till September 2011 and do a $100 price cut (to $199/€199/£179.99). This is because Jan - August are generally much slower months than Sept - Dec. and they can easily clear stock using bundles instead.

Hmmm so sometime next year will be the big $199 mass market price. That is going to be very interesting.

Elios83

Baki said:

Agreed. This year it seems we'll get the 160GB and 320GB models among with games and Playstation Move bundles while they will continue to cut manufacturing costs.
In August/September 2011 (or around E3) they will probably cut the price to 199$/€ which will be a key moment for PS3 adoption.

Btw weren't the new PS3 models supposed to be on sale today in Japan?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Baki said:

edit - oopsies! I read that as September 2010! Nvm.

By the by, regarding profitability for the games business in this full fiscal year, they were slightly less committal in the Q+A than in their presentation. It sounds like profitability for the full year is merely a hope, while break-even is the actual commitment.

Cornbread78

They should do the price adjustments in conjunction with the MOVE launch. I read somewhere that XBox is launching their new Arcade bundled with the Kinect for their launch this fall, so it would only make sense for Sony to fall in line with that mentality; give a cheap model and launch it with MOVE... Blue Ray depreciation in pricing is staggering right now, the Sony BR player that was $299 last year at this time, iw now down to $158.

RavenFox

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Some motherfuckers always gotta try to iceskate uphill
:lol Well said Mr. Segata
Elios83 said:
Agreed. This year it seems we'll get the 160GB and 320GB models among with games and Playstation Move bundles while they will continue to cut manufacturing costs.
In August/September 2011 (or around E3) they will probably cut the price to 199$/€ which will be a key moment for PS3 adoption.

Btw weren't the new PS3 models supposed to be on sale today in Japan?
yup.

Cornbread78 said:
They should do the price adjustments in conjunction with the MOVE launch. I read somewhere that XBox is launching their new Arcade bundled with the Kinect for their launch this fall, so it would only make sense for Sony to fall in line with that mentality; give a cheap model and launch it with MOVE... Blue Ray depreciation in pricing is staggering right now, the Sony BR player that was $299 last year at this time, iw now down to $158.

Sony already announced their Move + PS3 bundles. Some may argue that the PS3 move bundle is better cause you are getting a $399 bundle with I guess 120GB hard drive and that glorious Blu-Ray player versus 4GB Xbox S and Kinect for 100$ less. (well Move, PS Eye, Game, and DS3, Blu Ray) versus (4GB Xbox S, Controller, Natal, Kinect Adventures, DVD player)

I think for $399 people will still see PS3 as better deal, and with the hacklers at Best Buys and other stores still urging people just shopping for Blu-Ray players to get a PS3 (and I think those movie deals are still going on too with the PS3 or blu-ray purchases)...they may buy.

How much savings will 32nm Cell bring over 45nm? I'm waiting for $199 ps3 with ps2 backward compatibility. That kind of SKU would tear up the charts.

Baki said:

Agree but do those 160/320GB models (2500CH) models have the 32nm Cell in them or are they waiting for the next SKU for that?

Baki

gofreak said:

By the by, regarding profitability for the games business in this full fiscal year, they were slightly less committal in the Q+A than in their presentation. It sounds like profitability for the full year is merely a hope, while break-even is the actual commitment.

This to me sounds like there's been an upshoot in R&D costs. Perhaps for the PSP 2?

AranhaHunter said:
Agree but do those 160/320GB models (2500CH) models have the 32nm Cell in them or are they waiting for the next SKU for that?

Probably not. There's obviously a cost reduction somewhere, but I haven't heard about a 32nm CELL. In my opinion, we should be seeing PS3's with 32nm CELL's by Spring 2011 or December 2010.

That said, I expect a super slim by Sept. 2011 where both the CELL and RSX is 32nm and the Power Supply brick is external.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Baki said:
By the way, the PS3 attach rate is now 8.3. Its gone up surprisingly.

That's good. I'd like to see it get above 9.0 this year.

gofreak said:

I wonder why. Do you think this points to a price drop of any of the 3 main systems for Sony?

offshore

Mr.NiceGuy said:
Since LyR is banned for his crappy post can we ban other crappy posts like "the battle for second place is on" ?

But second place is important isn't it? I think it's what gave MS the ability to secure the exclusive DLC, extra packs and exclusive bundles that they used to get for the 360, precisely because of the fact that they were ahead of the PS3 (as well as some money hats, I don't doubt that)

But if the PS3 is in second place, then it suddenly gives Sony more flex to able to secure those things from third parties, which would make the PS3 version the better choice for buying third party games, something which the 360 has enjoyed (and still does, just) for a long time. I think second place is important.

Elios83

Dedication Through Light said:
Sony already announced their Move + PS3 bundles. Some may argue that the PS3 move bundle is better cause you are getting a $399 bundle with I guess 120GB hard drive buy.

Actually the announced Move bundle will definetly be based on the new SKUs so it will feature a 160GB or 320GB hard drive.
And for 399$ I wouldn't be suprised if it's the 320GB one.

mujun

Good job Sony, well deserved. They really turned shit around in a pretty short span.

DMeisterJ said:
And second place doesn't matter in any real sense, but when Ps3 does pass 360, expect lots of bumping of various quotes from various MS peeps about how important 'winning' is, etc by Sony... Should be an awesomely hilarious time when it happens.

Just like it's been hilarious pretty much up until the point they are going to actually pull into second place with all the people playing down 360 in second place any way you can think of?

Two way street.

Baki

offshore said:
But second place is important isn't it? I think it's what gave MS the ability to secure the exclusive DLC, extra packs and exclusive bundles that they used to get for the 360, precisely because of the fact that they were ahead of the PS3 (as well as some money hats, I don't doubt that)

But if the PS3 is in second place, then it suddenly gives Sony more flex to able to secure those things from third parties, which would make the PS3 version the better choice for buying third party games, something which the 360 has enjoyed (and still does, just) for a long time. I think second place is important.

Second place will be important for the PS4 but not necessarily the PS3. If they can secure 2nd place this time around, it will restore some publisher confidence in the brand.

Elios83 said:
Actually the announced Move bundle will definetly be based on the new SKUs so it will feature a 160GB or 320GB hard drive.

I expect a holiday deal (during black friday) where they sell the MOVE bundle for $299 or PS3 for $249.99 (120GB).

Elios83 said:

Whoa, when was this bump in hard drive announced? I missed it?

H_Prestige said:
How much savings will 32nm Cell bring over 45nm? I'm waiting for $199 ps3 with ps2 backward compatibility. That kind of SKU would tear up the charts.
PS2 BC isn't coming back to the PS3, unfortunately. Sony was developing the tech and apparently may have even finished it but it seems to have been put into use for the PS2 HD Classics instead. Still, the fact that they got so far along with it means that it's reasonably likely to show up in the PS4.

Canova

Banned
LyR said:
dear god why do you care

Banned

:lol

Top Bottom