• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reports Q2 Earnings: Game Division ($379) Million, PS3 2.43 million units

MidiSurf

Banned
kevm3 said:
Once games like Killzone 2 and God of War 3 come out, we'll start to see things change for Sony.

I really doubt it. MGS4, GTAIV and other big titles didn't move PS3 units at all, I don't see how KZ2 or God of War could increse PS3 sales drastically. PS3 is this generations GC and nothing will change that.

MidiSurf said:
MGS4, GTAIV and other big titles didn't move PS3 units at all, I don't see how KZ2 or God of War could increse PS3 sales drastically
Simple: unlike the others, they are not out yet.

Its like the year of formula (year of ps3 = current year n + 1 of ps3)

;)

Guled

MidiSurf said:
I really doubt it. MGS4, GTAIV and other big titles didn't move PS3 units at all, I don't see how KZ2 or God of War could increse PS3 sales drastically. PS3 is this generations GC and nothing will change that.
MGS4 did move PS3 though.

Culex

Banned
jett said:
I thought they had earned money in the previous quarter...guess not

The recent fallout from the Yen exchanged KILLED them during the quarter, same thing that happened to Nintendo a few years back when they had their first quarterly loss ever.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MidiSurf said:
I really doubt it. MGS4, GTAIV and other big titles didn't move PS3 units at all

I think they did..PS3 sales have been up a lot this year, I'm not sure you can pin that down solely to price reductions. Obviously the lineup this year has been helping it a lot.

MidiSurf

Banned
Guled said:
MGS4 did move PS3 though.

I'll give you that but it was "only" around +250.000 more consoles. And you won't win console wars with that kind of numbers. And next month the sales were back to normal (225.000).

EDIT: I'm only talking about NA numbers.

MidiSurf

Banned
RJT said:
And we all know (Killzone is as big as Metal Gear Solid)

(This has to stop)

PS3 sales are about double from last years figures but that doesn't say too much when we think how badly PS3 was selling in 2007.

Nash said:
Sony Profit Plunges 72 Percent
By YURI KAGEYAMA
AP
posted: 24 MINUTES AGO
comments: 0
filed under: Earnings
PrintShare
Text SizeAAA
TOKYO (Oct. 29) - Sony Corp .'s quarterly profit plunged 72 percent as a surging yen wiped out perks from flat-panel TV and PlayStation 3 sales, as well as box office revenue from the movie "Hancock."

Sony said Wednesday it posted a net profit of 20.8 billion yen ($214 million) for the July-September period compared with 73.7 billion yen a year earlier. Sales in the fiscal second quarter slipped 0.5 percent to 2.072 trillion yen ($21.4 billion).
Sony makes about 80 percent of its sales overseas and is vulnerable to fluctuations in exchange rates. A rising yen erodes the overseas profits when converted into the Japanese currency.QUOTE]
I would caution those of you without business degrees from trying to read this. What they are saying is that, while Sony overall made a profit in Japan of 20.8 billion yen, based on current exchange rates, that translates to a loss of $214 million from a US perspective. Expect a large movement of capital as American investors sell their shares and investors living in Japan snap them up.

RJT

road2serfdom said:
I would caution those of you without business degrees from trying to read this. What the are saying is that, while Sony overall made a profit in Japan of 20.8 billion yen, based on current exchange rates, that translates to a loss of $214 million from a US perspective. Expect a large movement of capital as American investors sell their shares and investors living in Japan snap them up.
Any chance of PS3 going back to 500$ is the yen continues to rise?

road2serfdom said:
I would caution those of you without business degrees from trying to read this. What the are saying is that, while Sony overall made a profit in Japan of 20.8 billion yen, based on current exchange rates, that translates to a loss of $214 million from a US perspective. Expect a large movement of capital as American investors sell their shares and investors living in Japan snap them up.

I would caution anyone without an advanced degree in thermonuclear physics from reading that article. What is says is that Sony lost $429 trillion dollars last quarter building the PS4 which would be the transport for Sony's initiative to take a manned flight to Mars in 2010, some 10 years before NASA.

RJT

fizzelopeguss said:
What's so funny about brackets?
Financial humor...
You see, in accounting and financial reporting you can use () or the color red to indicate a negative number. This was included in the thread title, and then someone said you would never use brackets in an actual sentence. Of course, GAF responded by using brackets in every sentence. And a meme was born!

MidiSurf

Banned
RJT said:
Financial humor...
You see, in accounting and financial reporting you can use () or the color red to indicate a negative number. This was included in the thread title, and then someone said you would never use brackets in an actual sentence. Of course, GAF responded by using brackets in every sentence. And a meme was born!

Lamest meme ever, I might add.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
road2serfdom said:
I would caution those of you without business degrees from trying to read this. What they are saying is that, while Sony overall made a profit in Japan of 20.8 billion yen, based on current exchange rates, that translates to a loss of $214 million from a US perspective. Expect a large movement of capital as American investors sell their shares and investors living in Japan snap them up.

Aaagh!!!!!!!1111 My eyes I tried to read that article and now I CAN'T SEE!!! WTF??? Someone help me! The only way I am able to respond is by having my mother read the posts for me while I dictate a response. What have I done? What have I done??? I should have taken road2surfdom's advice.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
lowlylowlycook said:
Does anyone know how much New Coke cost Coca-Cola? What other corporate mistakes can we compare the PS3 to?

In real money? Not sure.

But in the abstract, they profited. Coca-Cola Classic did better than Coke ever did to begin with, and the savings switching from cane to fructose in the process were massive.

Remember the whole New Coke process only lasted 6 months--Coke was very agile and immediately shitcanned the product when the writing was on the wall.

ringlord

RJT said:
Financial humor...

And then some grammar nazi showed up and made sure everyone knew that those things are called parenthesis not brackets. Oh wait, that was me!

Stumpokapow said:
In real money? Not sure.

But in the abstract, they profited. Coca-Cola Classic did better than Coke ever did to begin with, and the savings switching from cane to fructose in the process were massive.

Remember the whole New Coke process only lasted 6 months--Coke was very agile and immediately shitcanned the product when the writing was on the wall.

Hmmm, that reminds me that all these loses don't even include the intangibles like the fact developers and consumers will not be assuming that the PS4 will dominate the next gen consoles.

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
A lot of reports are pinning Sony's overall drop in profits to the strengthening yen, so I'm guessing that didn't help the game division's loss either (if one is looking to point a finger at causes).

And people wonder why Sony is focused on Europe... because it seems selling stuff in the US is pretty futile with a weak dollar, whereas selling stuff in Europe is a good deal since the Euro is doing well.

With the yen in the fall of 06 at 117/dollar, in 07 at 109ish and today at 98, its a huge difference. For every game sold in the US they brought in 7000 yen in 06, 6400 in 07 and now only 5800. Thats nearly a 20% drop in revenue simply due to the exchange rate, without factoring in any increases in expenses due to energy and whatnot.

With Euros it was at 137ish yen in 06, 150ish in 07 and about 160 last month with a crazy drop to 120 last couple of weeks. So for European game sales at say 50 euros they were bringing in 6850yen in 06, 7500 in 07, 8000 in 08 until 2 weeks ago or so when it fell to 6000. So even at its lowest, now with the Euro tanking they are still bringing in more than the US is bringing in.

But overall the yen is monster strong, and what they need is to have huge sales in Japan.

FrankT

AndyD said:
And people wonder why Sony is focused on Europe... because it seems selling stuff in the US is pretty futile with a weak dollar, whereas selling stuff in Europe is a good deal since the Euro is doing well.

Uh the Euro has pretty much tanked in the last few weeks, and I mean tanked. The dollar however has had record run up this last month. The Yen however has strengthened so much so that you can see it not only reflected in these numbers, but for this quarter it will be significantly worse if things do not change. As it gets stronger world wide that is less and less revenue Sony recieves from it's good from both Europe and the US.

AndyD said:
The Japanese Yen is kicking the shit out of the rest of the world's currencies at the moment, even the precious Euro.

I can't imagine what these numbers would look like if it wasn't for the PSP / PS2. It would make the original xbox look like a financial success.

RJT

ringlord said:
And then some grammar nazi showed up and made sure everyone knew that those things are called parenthesis not brackets. Oh wait, that was me!
I have a (good) excuse! English is not my native language.

Now would be the perfect time for Sony to cut the PS2's price to $99 or $79 but given the current strength of the yen, the margins probably aren't there to support it. Same for PS3 unfortunately.

MassiveAttack said:
Now would be the perfect time for Sony to cut the PS2's price to $99 or $79 but given the current strength of the yen, the margins probably aren't there to support it. Same for PS3 unfortunately.

How would that help profitability? Do you think it would encourage game sales? Jack Tretton said he wont cut the price because the people paying $99 for it are the people that wont buy new games.

RJT

Vagabundo said:
I'm pretty sure it got this one (open for business). Urg, I'm reaching there.

Tiz a silly meme.
All memes are silly. We just use them to have a sense of belonging to a cool group, much like clothes in the real world. So when a Junior comes and doesn't get the Capcom/Konami joke, we laugh at them and proudly say "This is GAF, dude!".

That said, that thread had me laughing at the "You're doing it (right)" comment.

AndyD

aka andydumi
mr_bishiuk said:
How would that help profitability? Do you think it would encourage game sales? Jack Tretton said he wont cut the price because the people paying $99 for it are the people that wont buy new games.

The library is so big now and the availability of used games so great that Sony is making a profit on PS2s sold, but little on new software for it. So they are smart to keep the price up on the hardware, because the software will decline more and more.

Vagabundo

RJT said:
All memes are silly. We just use them to have a sense of belonging to a cool group, much like clothes in the real world. So when a Junior comes and doesn't get the Capcom/Konami joke, we laugh at them and proudly say "This is GAF, dude!".

That said, that thread had me laughing at the "You're doing it (right)" comment.

Yeah, fosters a sense of community and all that. :D However, this meme tickles me too, not sure why, perhaps because it quite silly.

Top Bottom