• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony open up M2 SSD port to beta testers of system software

Look at this rocket surgeon with big brains over here. How did you figure out how to do this?

Unfortunately this isn't designed for simple jack.

But I bet Forest could do it.

Tom Hanks Drinking GIF by The Good Films

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I actually just bought an m2 ssd for my pc today. the Samsung 980. It's 3.5 gbps and i wont lie, it was surprisingly easy to install on the motherboard. it literally just slots right in. though i did have to screw in the other side of the chip. still way way easier than installing those block ssds that need you to connect them to the power supply and another cable to connect them to the motherboard which is a pain in the ass because you have to open the back of the case and find all those cables. not to mention mounting them at the back of the case which is different for every case.

this was as simple as installing some ddr4 ram.

The biggest problem was trying to figure out which of these drives were supported by my motherboard. i just got burned by a motherboard my cpu didnt support so I was very apprehensive about buying an m2 ssd. I read the supported types again and again and there were just so many things to look at. is it m-key slot. is it 2280 or type 2200? is it pcie 3*4? luckily the one I picked was the right one, but I actually envy PS5 users who will have a select list of SSDs to find somewhere on the interwebs. I had no such luck and had to read the manual and then the box and then shop for those specs at various different websites.

I just dont see PS5 owners having to go through that. Bestbuy, walmart and even gamestop should have supported ssds on sale marked as PS5 compatible.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How many possible compatible 5500+ speed SSDs are even in the market?

would not it be easier if Sony just tested them all for gamers and declare which ones work?

you don’t even have know the dimensions or anything. Just go by which ones Sony officially states works.

kyliethicc

would not it be easier if Sony just tested them all for gamers and declare which ones work?

you don’t even have know the dimensions or anything. Just go by which ones Sony officially states works.

Just officially endorse the Samsung 980 Pro and be done with it, Sony.

Looks like Cerny just endorsed the WD SN850 heatsink model.

Simple as that. Good enough for the guy who built the PS5, good enough for me.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Ordered the SN850 sadly Amazon have sold out of the model with the heat sink - so not being a total bell end here, can a kind person recommend me a heat sink that will be suitable?

Thanks.

aclar00

Developers code games to run on internal storage or equivalent, they don't need to concern themselves with low-spec storage in the expansion bay.

We have to wait and see how Sony prevents users from using too-slow storage - the options can be an approved list, a software whitelist, a benchtest upon insertion, etc. The beta will not tell us everything in this regard.

I would think there would be two options the OS would given depending on the drive specs. If it meets it, then the drive will work like the internal. If not, then the drive would just be used as storage or for PS4 games. Or third option would be to allow games to operate with longer load times, particular for games not designed around the internall SSD speed.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I would think there would be two options the OS would given depending on the drive specs. If it meets it, then the drive will work like the internal. If not, then the drive would just be used as storage or for PS4 games. Or third option would be to allow games to operate with longer load times, particular for games not designed around the internall SSD speed.
The OS won't know how all games use the SSD though. I also can't imagine that they would ever default it to act as an external drive either. The most likely scenario is if it passes the initial test when you install it it will be used as internal storage, and some games will perform badly with it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Buy yourself a heatsink. The prices for the heatsink editions are ridiculous.
For some reason, the SN850 2TB w heatsink is $115ish over the price from WD store. That’s insane.

As it is, unless there’s something really great about the preinstalled heat sink (or if someone isn’t comfortable putting a heat sink on), I think I like the less expensive ones you can put on. I don’t think the preinstalled one is removable. If needed, I’d like to be able to replace the one on it… at the least to replace thermal pads if needed.

Your assuming that Sony didn't do any testing themselves. Pretty sure once the update is out their will be a list of supported drives.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I think this is put on wrong. The cylindrical spacer might go under the NVMe drive, not above. Looks like it's getting bent.

Be careful, people!
“Remove the screw (B) and spacer (C), and then adjust the spacer to the size of your M.2 SSD”…

“Hold the edge of your M.2 SSD, align it with the notch on the expansion connector, and then starting from diagonally upward firmly insert it all the way in.”…

“Tilt your M.2 SSD down and fasten it with screws.”.

Parts of the instructions on PS5s installation instructions on their site.

Reads like it goes within the notch of the NVME and then the screw fastens down through the spacer.

People are assuming that with the expansion SSD that the fan needs to rotate faster, which is not happening. All concern trolls got some genuine people confused.

I read somewhere that the PS5 has multiple temperature sensors and one of them is located where the NVME slot is. I'm guessing if it heats up enough the PS5 could increase the fan speeds to compensate. But I don't believe it will he anywhere near as loud as the pro though.

Using this data, Sony says that the behaviour of the cooling fan will be controlled, so as to deliver both optimum cooling levels as well as protect the longevity of the console. To collect all of this data, multiple temperature sensors are reportedly placed on the PS5’s main board. In theory, it all sounds like a super neat feature of the PlayStation 5, which may actually make a difference in the long run.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People are assuming that with the expansion SSD that the fan needs to rotate faster, which is not happening. All concern trolls got some genuine people confused.
PS5 hating Clowns say with the internal Extension the console generates more Heat and the noise and fan speed levels rise. That's why.

I'm no concern control or PS5 hating clowns; it's just basic thermodynamics.. adding heat increases potential cooling needs. Same as if you had your PS5 in a hot room vs a cold room.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm no concern control or PS5 hating clowns; it's just basic thermodynamics.. adding heat increases potential cooling needs. Same as if you had your PS5 in a hot room vs a cold room.

It's been already well calculated. The space is pretty tight so there is no need for accelerated speed as air would travel much faster there.

IntentionalPun

It's been already well calculated. The space is pretty tight so there is no need for accelerated speed as air would travel much faster there.
I don't know why you think this.. additional heat is additional heat. It will heat the air being pulled into the system unless the SSD is lower than room temperature, which it surely isn't.

The only thing Sony would have "well calculated" is that it's all still reasonable under most conditions with most drives... but more heat will in some scenarios almost certainly increase the need for cooling.

Again, same as the hot vs cold room.

Last edited:

True and we have seen the PS5 handling cooling quite well since launch. There really isn't a huge complaint about the system overheating. Most of the noise complaints are around coil whine which isn't really connected to the systems cooling.

I'm guessing that it will handle the NVME just fine. And I'm not expecting a huge increase in the fan noise. It definitely won't go from whisper quiet to a PS4 Pro level of fan noise.

But we have to wait and see what happens to be sure.

IntentionalPun

I'm guessing that it will handle the NVME just fine. And I'm not expecting a huge increase in the fan noise. It definitely won't go from whisper quiet to a PS4 Pro level of fan noise.

Agreed; for me I keep my PS5's in air conditioned rooms and I've never heard either system's fans.. although.. there is a loud AC always on lol

Jigga117

People must be really stupid where you live. I don't know anyone who can't follow simple, numbered instructions to put some furniture together.
There are people who don’t know what an HDMI is until you point to it and they physically recognize it. Then try and plug it in the USB port under the HDMI port. They are everywhere

There are people who don’t know what an HDMI is until you point to it and they physically recognize it. Then try and plug it in the USB port under the HDMI port. They are everywhere

But assuming the majority of people don't know how to plug a console in?

Isn't that a bit much?

Jigga117

But assuming the majority of people don't know how to plug a console in?

Isn't that a bit much?
As network admins and installers in my world we see it daily. Some people feel it is beneath them to know how to build furniture or connect devices. I didn’t state that was the majority. Just that they are out there.

Last edited:
As network admins and installers in my world we see it daily. Some people feel it is beneath them to know how to build furniture or connect devices. I didn’t state that was the majority. Just that they are out there.

I can understand that but I really don't see it as a big issue. You're definitely going to have some people that are incapable of plugging a console in. But you shouldn't design a product for them if your average consumer will suffer due to it.

Kind of like if Sony chose to go with overpriced proprietary storage. The people capable of installing an NVME are going to suffer due to higher prices and the lack of choice just so a minority can benefit from easy to install storage.

Top Bottom