• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony open up M2 SSD port to beta testers of system software

Topher

Gold Member
I gave in and ordered the brand Dana Carvey recommended

1TD

can't afford the 4TB one

mike myers oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I would pay extra for the heatsink but not ~€135 extra. That's just insane. I'd just get the SSD w/o heatsink and buy something like this separately.
Bought, built, waiting for install day. Thought the packaging was great on the heat sink. Came with magnetic screwdriver and felt solid when built.

Darklor01

Do we know when this update is likely to go GA? Because if it isn't for a while, the NVMe prices will likely be lower for the same capacity.
Pure guess, I would think 1/2 month to a month unless there are unknown reasons and additional testing needed.

Kilau

Folks going to be loading up these fancy NVMe drives with their old PS4 games that will probably still load faster off a USB ssd, it’s a crying shame.

I’m glad the option is coming, I just don’t understand the rush to get a drive at this point. Unless CoD player…

Darklor01

Folks going to be loading up these fancy NVMe drives with their old PS4 games that will probably still load faster off a USB ssd, it’s a crying shame.

I’m glad the option is coming, I just don’t understand the rush to get a drive at this point. Unless CoD player…
LOL! I know you’re not wrong. Personally though, I have a self commitment to not store any games on the internal or NVME drives unless they are PS5 enhanced titles that I’m reasonably actively playing. Anything else can be moved to external USB for “someday”.

I only ordered a 500GB one to make it 1.3TB useable which is respectable. All my ps4 games are on a 5Tb usb drive. 500GB was only like $150 so just a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:

base

Banned
10 months of waiting for the additional hdd support. Hell yeah, now another 10 years for themes support!

truth411

Crazy feeling longer load times and nothing else different.
Actually no. Its not just loading but streaming in assets. With RatchetnClank they save ram and increased fidelity of the game by not having assets into ram thats off screen. By having a drive thats much slower, either you will see a blank screen before the assets load or the game will slow down your ability to turn.
The PS5 SSD/IO is more about streaming than just loading.

Duchess

A few people mentioning that the real test will be using slow SSDs. I think the PS5 blocks you from using the drive if it's below 5500..?

Last edited:

reksveks

A few people mentioning that the real test will be using slow SSDs. I think the PS5 blocks you from using the drive if it's below 5500..?
Already seen a drive around 4900 working perfectly fine on twitter via Tom Warren.

I’ve tested Corsair’s Force MP600 (2TB) with the PS5, which has lower read speeds (4,950MB/s) than Sony recommends, and a colleague confirmed a Sabrent Rocket (500GB, rated at 5,000MB/s) seems to do just fine as well.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
rUrIzZ5.jpg

"As for the PS5 SSD firmware? We only talk about it in the vaguest terms here really as the news 'dropped' during filming - but I can confirm that we do have beta access and #FriendAndColleague Tom Morgan is looking at it now. We're looking to cover off the basics first, which is to say: how easy is the install process, how are loading and transfer times affected and of course, how well does the storage-heavy Ratchet and Clank work? We actually bought a Samsung 980 Pro NVMe drive at the tail-end of last year to test this feature and we can finally put it to use! If you're interested in more in-depth testing, do let us know what you'd like us to cover!"

Last edited:
Actually no. Its not just loading but streaming in assets. With RatchetnClank they save ram and increased fidelity of the game by not having assets into ram thats off screen. By having a drive thats much slower, either you will see a blank screen before the assets load or the game will slow down your ability to turn.
The PS5 SSD/IO is more about streaming than just loading.
I'm aware. I've just been saying for a long time that I think people are reading into that wrong and that's not how Ratchet works. We will see though. I'm fine with being wrong.

PaintTinJr

I'm aware. I've just been saying for a long time that I think people are reading into that wrong and that's not how Ratchet works. We will see though. I'm fine with being wrong.
Based on the 85% (15% less) performance by the insomniac guy's tweet, a best case scenario for buying a slow nvme gen4 will be 4235mb/s to get the full experience at 100% AFAIK - because slowest gen4 you can buy is 3600mb/s according to someone in this thread, so if that is the 85% (3600/0.85) then 4235 is what 100% performance would be to run a first gen PS5 game properly.

Obviously if the drive Insomniac tested had higher read speed than 3600mb/s, then the 100% figure will be even higher.

Either way, if they are doing that speed now, then REYES is likely to be exploited with the SSD/IO complex in PS5, and anything slower than the recommended 5500mb/s will show a different experience is my take.

Last edited:

reksveks

Based on the 85% (15% less) performance by the insomniac guys tweet, a best case scenario for buying a slow nvme gen4 will be 4235mb/s to get the full experience at 100% AFAIK - because slowest gen4 you can buy is 3600mb/s according to someone in this thread, so if that is the 85% (3600/0.85) then 4235 is what 100% performance would be to run a first gen PS5 game properly.

Obviously if the drive Insomniac tested had higher read speed than 3600mb/s, then the 100% figure will be even higher.

Either way, if they are doing that speed now, then REYES is likely to be exploited with the SSD/IO complex in PS5, and anything slower than the recommended 5500mb/s will show a difeer
Cheers for doing the work and trying to figure it out. Still waiting on the test from Tom.

LOL!!! I thought that I missed some sort of other beta reference and didn't want to assume anything. At least I'm not the only one confused by that statement.

He tends to do this kind of thing often. Most of the time I really don't understand what he's trying to do. It's why I have him on ignore but every once in a while I check one of his comments and it's always the same.

Darklor01

He tends to do this kind of thing often. Most of the time I really don't understand what he's trying to do. It's why I have him on ignore but every once in a while I check one of his comments and it's always the same.
Oh, I know. Here's the thing though. As a rule, I try to be neutral in conversation regardless of post history, what platform a person plays on, ..etc. Just assume nothing. Try to have a proper conversation when possible. Y'know.. give the person a chance to correct me if I'm wrong, or provide additional information..etc.

I might learn something, have an interesting conversation, or at the very least, not be part of a problem.

Based on the 85% (15% less) performance by the insomniac guy's tweet, a best case scenario for buying a slow nvme gen4 will be 4235mb/s to get the full experience at 100% AFAIK - because slowest gen4 you can buy is 3600mb/s according to someone in this thread, so if that is the 85% (3600/0.85) then 4235 is what 100% performance would be to run a first gen PS5 game properly.

Either way, if they are doing that speed now, then REYES is likely to be exploited with the SSD/IO complex in PS5, and anything slower than the recommended 5500mb/s will show a different experience is my take.
I doubt Insomniac tested the slowest PCIe 4 drive in existence. Probably something at the 5k level which seems common enough. Let's say worse case is 20% slower. That's still pretty much not noticable to the end user when we are talking 1-2 seconds. To the second point I just don't imagine it ever being an issue either. The amount of work and data for a constant 5.5mbs to be required just doesn't make sense to me. People very often quoted Ratchet as needing 5.5gbs to work. I've always doubted it and now is our chance to see I guess.

PaintTinJr

I doubt Insomniac tested the slowest PCIe 4 drive in existence. Probably something at the 5k level which seems common enough. Let's say worse case is 20% slower. That's still pretty much not noticable to the end user when we are talking 1-2 seconds. To the second point I just don't imagine it ever being an issue either. The amount of work and data for a constant 5.5mbs to be required just doesn't make sense to me. People very often quoted Ratchet as needing 5.5gbs to work. I've always doubted it and now is our chance to see I guess.
In REYES games that 20% slower would be split over the frames, so that would be the difference between 24fps and 30fps, or 48fps and 60fps - would probably mess up the frame-pacing too.

Also the difference might just be that the game works at lower bandwidth by design, but sustained constantly, and a slower drive will heatup more - then slow completely - if running at (say) 90% of its maximum, rather than 70%, like a faster drive.

After too long, the game might just crash, or shut the machine down, because of a lack of headroom to operate. But early play checks might suggest it makes zero difference to the game, because it worked for 10mins, 1hr or 2hrs, but wouldn't have made it through a certification test cycle of the game being completed in as few game sessions as possible (eg 2x 4Hrs of testing in a work day)

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
LOL!!! I thought that I missed some sort of other beta reference and didn't want to assume anything. At least I'm not the only one confused by that statement.
Has the beta firmware for this actually been downloaded on people's PS5s yet? Why does no one in here have any reports of how their new drives work? I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that the beta firmware with it is not yet out since there don't appear to be any people using it on here.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Has the beta firmware for this actually been downloaded on people's PS5s yet? Why does no one in here have any reports of how their new drives work?
A) At least one person on the forum (I can't remember who) has the beta and has made at least one comment about it (I can't remember what) B) It's all over the place including on Sony's own Playstation Website that it's out there. C) Multiple Sites have shown videos and commentary about it. D) There are many Youtube videos on the subject.....etc.

MrFunSocks

Banned
A) At least one person on the forum (I can't remember who) has the beta and has made at least one comment about it (I can't remember what) B) It's all over the place including on Sony's own Playstation Website that it's out there. C) Multiple Sites have shown videos and commentary about it. D) There are many Youtube videos on the subject.....etc.
Ok maybe it's out there now, bit weird that out of all the people in this site there's maybe 1 person with it. Either way, the retail update isn't usually announced after what, 1 day of beta being out?

Darklor01

Ok maybe it's out there now, bit weird that out of all the people in this site there's maybe 1 person with it. Either way, the retail update isn't usually announced after what, 1 day of beta being out?
I'm honestly not sure what you're getting at. No one on here knows when the public version will be put out, but it isn't commonly all that far removed from the beta. Even games betas are usually within a month or two of release of a title if not less.
Additionally, yes, there's at least one person here, but there are several people posting their experience with the beta release and the drives.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm honestly not sure what you're getting at. No one on here knows when the public version will be put out, but it isn't commonly all that far removed from the beta. Even games betas are usually within a month or two of release of a title if not less.
Additionally, yes, there's at least one person here, but there are several people posting their experience with the beta release and the drives.
No, real betas are 6+ months prior to release.

Great, one person. Ask them when the full update comes out then. It's been our since Friday or so, testings probably all done by now so release on Monday.

Darklor01

No, real betas are 6+ months prior to release.

Great, one person. Ask them when the full update comes out then. It's been our since Friday or so, testings probably all done by now so release on Monday.
OK. Sounds great. I look forward to it!

Remind me .. When does Halo Infinite release and when did they do the technical test? When does the early beta for Back 4 Blood hit and when is the title release? When is the beta for Battlefield 2042 and when is the title scheduled for release? Are they six months between beta and public release?

Last edited:
Top Bottom