• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patent: convert TV commercials into interactive PlayStation Move games & More.

so who's going to use that Bear with a DS up his arse as an avatar?

edit- on a serious note however, I remember that MCDONALDS! \o/ patent from last year, does this mean Sony is holding back some info like HDMI pass through? similar to what Microsoft wants to do with their system?
Yes, HDMI pass-through if you have a DVR cable box or RVU if you have a Gateway device. It's the big thing and why AOAC and DVR will be supported by both.

ATSC 2.0 is going candidate status this year and the features in it will make their way into Cable TV. RVU (for Cable) was mandated by the FCC in 2010 and has to be offered by June 2014. ATSC 2.0 supports h.264 which will be in the sub channels which allows 1080P and S3D as well as NRT (Non-Realtime-Transmission which requires DVR ability). Coming are games as NRT in commercials (The OP) and guides as well as targets in the video stream that a browser would use.

The hook is that current TV tuners which convert the RF channels to iptv streams can't support h.264 so all this new programming requires a STB that you have to rent from the cable company or buy. The PS4, Xbox 720, Xbox 360/ARM, likely a PS3/ARM, Apple TV, TiVo, Roku and Android Google TV can be used as the STB and Game consoles will offer many more features. RVU is DLNA but the STB needs to support h.264 and for XTV, Java and HTML5 browser. Network connected Blu-ray players already have the software stack to support this and this is why the PS3 is also a blu-ray player and next generation will support blu-ray.

DVR ability is an absolute certainty since it's required by NRT. Always On Always Connected very low power and low power STB is also a given. The Durango and PS4 should have a low power ARM GPU to support XTV while RVU (Remote Viewing a IPTV Stream from the Cable TV gateway device. RVU is DLNA but a newer version than in the PS3.

New avatar, sweet!

Advertising is a new revenue stream. Maybe it will be good. It will probably be exploitative, especially in the "Only 30 minute episodes? That means we can only play two commercial breaks!" land of the USA.

wildfire

Banned
New Sony patent that will allow television commercials to be played as online social games using the PS3 & other devices some games are shown using the PlayStation Move.

That's an incredible find. Do you just do random searches of the patent database on occasion?

oVerde

Banned
Wait! Are we serious about it? Xbox's non intrusive Ads are massively awful and Playstation's obligatory interactive ads with controller are okay or even promising?

Those new patents are pretty separate from this thread tbh.
A lot of ridiculous things there though; its like they're not paying attention to where the market has gone.

Anyway it seems to be for the clip on stuff, which we have seen previous patents of; so maybe something more interesting will come from it.

Taker666

Dem Sony stealing ideas-

image_191571_thumb_wide940.jpg

I actively hate most advertising for its flailing attempts to sell emotions rather than products. If this allows me to lampoon the commercials somehow, I might be interested. Also though, please keep your commercials out of my games. I don't watch tv for a variety of reasons, but commercials are a big part of that.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Patent posting is dumb. Companies patent everything they can, most of which are never implemented.

I'm pretty sure if the title said Kinect instead of Move, things would be a lot more hostile around here. We get pissed about product placement in games, this is like taking the game out of the product placement and just leaving you playing the Ad lol

shandy706

Future leaks of a new PS4 game announcement shall be met with.

"Probably another interactive ad"

Or

"Killzone 4 Move Ad Edition"

oldergamer

I find it so funny that some people keep thinking Sony is more interested in providing great games then Microsoft, and then you see stuff like these patents. When are people going to realize that both companies are only doing this to make money.

I'm pretty sure if the title said Kinect instead of Move, things would be a lot more hostile around here. We get pissed about product placement in games, this is like taking the game out of the product placement and just leaving you playing the Ad lol

Sony = All companies patent stuff, doesn't they'll implement it. Also given the benefit regardless of a history of them patching ads into a game.

MS = slimy bastards who will absolutely do everything they patent and never given the benefit of the doubt because it's MS and we all know they are bad.

That's pretty much how it goes here. You'll see anyone who brings this up is often labelled an insecure fanboy, etc by those who love to perpetuate the above narrative.

Valkyria

Banned

Sony = All companies patent stuff, doesn't they'll implement it. Also given the benefit regardless of a history of them patching ads into a game.

MS = slimy bastards who will absolutely do everything they patent and never given the benefit of the doubt because it's MS and we all know they are bad.

That's pretty much how it goes here. You'll see anyone who brings this up is often labelled an insecure fanboy, etc by those who love to perpetuate the above narrative.

Do you realize that this thread is from August?

DericLee

Banned
OMG!!! SONY IS RUINING THE INDUSTRY!!!

SPENDING MONEY ON MOVE APPLICATIONS TAKES MONEY AWAY FROM CORE GAMES!!!

Did I do that right?

Tripolygon

Banned
You can almost predict the comments from some people, in fact I was waiting for it and surely enough they did not disappoint.

Sony to have DirectX 11.1 support for the PS4 11.1 is also supposed to be required for Windows 8 and the Xbox 720 GPU will support this right?

AMD’s Graphics Core Next (GCN) Architecture, available in AMD Radeon™ HD 7700, HD 7800 and HD 7900 Series graphics, along with AMD FirePro™ W series cards, provide complete support for DirectX 11.1 Feature Level 11_1 in Windows 8. Examples of some of the new features it brings to the table, which are not yet available on competing products, include:

Target Independent Rasterization: accelerates rendering of 2D vector graphics (used by the Windows Modern UI, HTML5 web pages, and .SVG image files) by up to 500% or more.

UAV improvements: allow DirectCompute shaders to share data with any stage of the Direct3D rendering pipeline, enabling new hybrid graphics techniques that seamlessly combine GPU compute with traditional 3D rendering

Sum of Absolute Differences: exposes new shader instructions on the GPU that can massively accelerate a wide range of image processing tasks, including video image stabilization, photo/video search, and gesture or face recognition
The above three features give us an idea of the .1 difference between DX 11 and DX 11.1 and how AMD thinks they will be used. A Guess would be HTML5 games, Augmented reality and Social (Pictures, Home movies, sharing, indexing).

Wouldn't the UAV improvements and Target Independent Rasterization above combined with the changes made to the PS4 GPU support a combined Ray Tracing and rasterization => OpenRL - PowerVR of Imagination Technologies. Ray tracing need lots of compute right? Doesn't the PS4 GPU design appear to be very flexible allowing more compute that possibly needed for a GPU Rasterized Game

John Carmackid Software, local hero jump to post
I wrote the following (slightly redacted) up a little while ago for another company looking at consumer level ray tracing hardware as it relates to games. I do think workstation applications are the correct entry point for ray tracing acceleration, rather than games, so the same level of pessimism might not be apropriate. I have no details on Imagination’s particular technology (feel free to send me some, guys!).

------------

The primary advantages of ray tracing over rasterization are:

Accurate shadows, without explicit sizing of shadow buffer resolutions or massive stencil volume overdraw. With reasonable area light source bundles for softening, this is the most useful and attainable near-term goal.

Accurate reflections without environment maps or subview rendering. This benefit is tempered by the fact that it is only practical at real time speeds for mirror-like surfaces. Slightly glossy surfaces require a bare minimum of 16 secondary rays to look decent, and even mirror surfaces alias badly in larger scenes with bump mapping. Rasterization approximations are inaccurate, but mip map based filtering greatly reduces aliasing, which is usually more important. I was very disappointed when this sunk in for me during my research – I had thought that there might be a place for a high end “ray traced reflections” option in upcoming games, but it requires a huge number of rays for it to actually be a positive feature.

Some other “advantages” that are often touted for ray tracing are not really benefits:

Accurate refraction. This won’t make a difference to anyone building an application.

Global illumination. This requires BILLIONS of rays per second to approach usability. Trying to do it with a handful of tests per pixel just results in a noisy mess.

Because ray tracing involves a log2 scale of the number of primitives, while rasterization is linear, it appears that highly complex scenes will render faster with ray tracing, but it turns out that the constant factors are so different that no dataset that fits in memory actually crosses the time order threshold.

Classic Whitted ray tracing is significantly inferior to modern rasterization engines for the vast majority of scenes that people care about. Only when two orders of magnitude more rays are cast to provide soft shadows, glossy reflections, and global illumination does the quality commonly associated with “ray tracing” become apparent. For example, all surfaces that are shaded with interpolated normal will have an unnatural shadow discontinuity at the silhouette edges with single shadow ray traces. This is most noticeable on animating characters, but also visible on things like pipes. A typical solution if the shadows can’t be filtered better is to make the characters “no self shadow” with additional flags in the datasets. There are lots of things like this that require little tweaks in places that won’t be very accessible with the proposed architecture.

The huge disadvantage is the requirement to maintain acceleration structures, which are costly to create and more than double the memory footprint. The tradeoffs that get made for faster build time can have significant costs in the delivered ray tracing time versus fully optimized acceleration structures. For any game that is not grossly GPU bound, a ray tracing chip will be a decelerator, due to the additional cost of maintaining dynamic accelerator structures.

Rasterization is a tiny part of the work that a GPU does. The texture sampling, shader program invocation, blending, etc, would all have to be duplicated on a ray tracing part as well. Primary ray tracing can give an overdraw factor of 1.0, but hierarchical depth buffers in rasterization based systems already deliver very good overdraw rejection in modern game engines. Contrary to some popular beliefs, most of the rendering work is not done to be “realistic”, but to be artistic or stylish.

I am 90% sure that the eventual path to integration of ray tracing hardware into consumer devices will be as minor tweaks to the existing GPU microarchitectures.

John Carmack
1 post | registered Jan 23, 2013
"minor tweaks to the existing GPU microarchitectures" = the .1 in DX 11.1?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/shedding-some-realistic-light-on-imaginations-real-time-ray-tracing-card/ said:
The Caustic technology's (Ray Tracing) path to the mass market will be similar: Imagination intends to integrate into future versions of its PowerVR GPUs. This isn't going to happen anytime soon—the Imagination representative gave us a tentative estimate of "four to five years" from now—but it may be that the phones and tablets of tomorrow will be capable of 3D rendering that is only now beginning to hit high-end workstations.

This would dovetail nicely with the way the industry is moving. Mobile devices are already getting more productive as they get more powerful, and the major hardware manufacturers seem determined to deliver devices that can be all things to all people—phones that can double as tablets, tablets that can double as laptops, and so on. By 2018, it's easy to imagine a tablet that can also do high-end CAD work, and if Imagination has its way, the Caustic ray tracing technology will be leading that charge.
During the life of both the PS4 and Xbox 720, handhelds will have support for Ray Tracing. Combining rasterization with a few select objects being ray traced might be an option for next generation consoles.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482792&highlight=ray+tracing

YouTube’s member ‘aimedehaire’ (aka icelaglace or Hayssam Keilany) has uploaded an interesting DX11 Tech Demo. According to the GTA IV and Skyrim modder, this is a DX11 Raytracing Tech Demo that is running on an i7 Intel and a Radeon 5870. Keilany has not shared any additional information about it, so go ahead and enjoy it for what it truly is – a tech demo, showcasing what next-gen era could actually bring to the table. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gbjW57zlVfc

Also some comments from AMD indicate there won't be a DX 12. One speculation would be an industry (Microsoft) change to OpenGL. If Microsoft is moving to Handheld support with Windows 8 then they need to accept the industry open source standards. The article has several possibles.

http://thenextweb.com/media/2013/04/22/sony-announces-gettv-a-new-us-digital-tv-network-for-classic-hollywood-movies/ said:
Sony Pictures Television Networks this fall will bow getTV, a broadcast digital subchannel stocked with 3,500-plus movies from Sony’s studio archives, and announced initial pact with Univision Television Group to carry net in 24 markets.

ATSC 2.0 Over The Air goes on line with h.264 codec for sub channels this year. That doubles the number of sub-channels or the resolution that can be offered. The primary channel the -1 channel must be Mpeg2 but the sub channels can be h.264.

todahawk

The only way I could be into it is if I get to throw virtual bricks at the shitheads on tv. Or virtual crosshairs.

But I don't watch TV, only netflix and blu-rays.

Both Microsoft and Sony have plans for the living room that need STB functionalities. Witness Sony plans to stream 4K movies to the PS4 and:

Originally Posted by http://thenextweb.com/media/2013/04...ital-tv-network-for-classic-hollywood-movies/
Sony Pictures Television Networks this fall will bow getTV, a broadcast digital subchannel stocked with 3,500-plus movies from Sony’s studio archives, and announced initial pact with Univision Television Group to carry net in 24 markets.
ATSC 2.0 Over The Air goes on line with h.264 codec for sub channels this year. That doubles the number of sub-channels or the resolution that can be offered. The primary channel the -1 channel must be Mpeg2 but the sub channels can be h.264. By FCC mandate; Cable companies must offer the local OTA stations unscrambled so anything offered by OTA is on Cable.

Sony has a hardware advantage in the PS4 for games but Microsoft can have an advantage in Software and features they can offer. The Microsoft reveil is going to be interesting as I expect they will show many new features building on Sony's Feb 20th reveil. Xbox 720 cheaper with OS features at release that will have Sony playing catchup.

Both will push the broadcast industry to offer XTV features for OTA which requires a cheap Sony Nanse or some Network Tuner/RVU accessory they both will support or offer. Both will offer support or services to incorporate XTV in broadcasting.

Microsoft is offering a APP for the Xbox allowing ordering a Pizza Hut Pizza at the same time as playing a game (just pause the game). The same will be offered while watching TV via RVU & XTV and Sony has plans for that. This, Enterprise Transactions (TEE), is also one of the reason for Trustzone.

The long quotes below are from FCC rulings which are public domain. They have no copyright and I have posted only elements I found relevant.

It applies to the coming Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, XB1 and multiple consumer products. All are gong to support DLNA which has been revised to support the FCC rulings. How they do this impacts both the hardware and software stacks: standards, Low power modes and DRM security.

http://forum.solidsignal.com/content.php/2080-TiVo-Files-Suit-with-the-FCC said:
CableCARD was designed to give people choices in using a cable TV receiver -- the idea was that you could pop a company-supplied card into any cable TV box and it would work well. You should have even been able to pop a card into a properly-equipped TV and it would work.

Well, cable companies dragged their feet and in the end, most people didn't even try to get their own cable boxes. A few companies, like TiVo, jumped on the trend and did so with some success. In the end, though, CableCARD didn't catch on and its "successor" Tru2way never got off the ground at all.

Seeing this, the FCC made some changes. In exchange for letting cable TV companies encrypt all of their signals (not just the higher-numbered channels) the FCC plans to implement an authentication service that could be built into any external device.
My Comcast provider has encrypted all of their signals except for the local channels that another FCC rule protects. My guess is that an accepted standard for the authentication service built into external devices will be based on or at least supported by ARM Trustzone.

http://www.fcc.gov/document/media-bureau-grants-tivos-request-waiver-ip-output-rule said:
On October 14, 2010, the Commission modified Section 76.640(b)(4)(iii) of our rules to require cable operators to “ensure that the cable-operator-provided high definition set-top boxes, except unidirectional set-top boxes without recording functionality, shall comply with an open industry standard that provides for audiovisual communications including service discovery, video transport, and remote control command pass-through standards for home networking” by December 1, 2012 This rule is designed to “enable[e] connectivity with the multitude of IP devices in consumers’ homes.”

For example, consumers would be able to use one leased set-top box as a gateway to send video to multiple devices, including IP-enabled “smart televisions” and retail set-top devices. It would also allow consumers to connect a computer to a set-top box and use the computer’s hard-drive storage to record cable content in lieu of or in addition to leasing an operator-supplied digital video recorder. Requiring the use of an open industry standard and IP-based interface was intended “to accomplish the equipment compatibility purposes of Section 624A”8 and to “fulfill our statutory mandate under Section 629.”9

In this Order, we clarify the meaning of the phrase “open industry standard” as it appears in the Commission’s regulation that requires cable set-top boxes to include a recordable, Internet Protocol (“IP”)-based output.1 We also grant a limited waiver of that rule, pursuant to Section 629(c) of the Communications Act, permitting cable operators until June 2, 2014 to comply.2 Finally, we grant small cable operators, as defined below, until September 2, 2014 to comply because of the difficulty they may have obtaining compliant equipment to meet the June 2, 2014 deadline.

The above is the FCC RVU ruling along with a delay from Dec 2012 to June 2014 caused by the TiVo suit. It also appears to allow computers connected to the Cable network gateway device to record HD Media without a cable card but with some other accepted standard and software to protect the media. My guess is Windows 8 with AMD hardware including a Trustzone processor can record the Media and properly protect it. DTCP-IP is the network security standard; the question remains as to what the industry thinks is a secure hardware and software stack to support DTCP-IP.

The FCC defines the industry standard as DLNA below:

As discussed below, we clarify the elements of an “open industry standard” for purposes of Section 76.640(b)(4)(iii). We conclude that the processes that the Digital Living Network Alliance (“DLNA”)23 uses to develop and adopt its home networking specifications satisfy the elements of an “open industry standard.” We thus believe that the home networking solution that DLNA is working on now — a successor to the current “DLNA Premium Video profile”24 — will meet the output requirements in Section 76.640(b)(4)(iii) as long as it supports the required features of recordable high-definition video, closed captioning data, service discovery, video transport, and remote control command pass-through.

DLNA's Promoter Members include: ACCESS, AT&T, AwoX, Broadcom, CableLabs, Cisco, Comcast, DIRECTV, DTS, Dolby Laboratories, Ericsson, Google, HP, HTC, Huawei, Intel, LG, Microsoft, Nokia, Panasonic, Qualcomm , Samsung, Sony, Technicolor and Verizon.

The DLNA Premium Video profile is a set of standards that “can allow consumers to stream their favorite television programs and movies to DLNA Certified® products such as digital televisions, tablets, mobile phones, Blu-ray disc players and video game consoles.
On the DLNA website is a technical description of the discovery and protection of media.

http://www.elliptictech.com/en/products-a-solutions/applications-software/dtcp?gclid=CLrH3Y-ptrkCFejm7Aod3HQAEg said:
the latest specifications (DTCP revision 1.7 and DTCP-IP revision 1.4), including DTCP+, as required by the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA). The solutions are highly optimized for mobile and connected devices and can be integrated seamlessly with Trusted Execution Environments (TEE) and ARM® TrustZone® frameworks or embedded in systems without TEE.

DLNA and DTCP-IP protocol stacks

Software:
http://www.iwedia.com/images/products/sw_components/dlna_sw_architecture.jpg

Hardware requirements:

The solution is chipset agnostic and available for Linux and Android OS; it is easily portable on a new platform thanks to the clearly defined APIs to middleware and application.

Size of the code and static data for complete DLNA stack including UPnP and SQLite: 1.1 MB (may slightly vary depending on target platform)
Size of the code and static data for DTCP-IP stack including OpenSSL crypto library: 1.2 MB
Dynamic allocations for DMS device and 400 shared files:
Peak of 4 MB for one active connection
Peak of 5 MB for two active connections
Hardware descrambling capabilities for DTCP-IP: AES-128
Processing power: 800 DMIPS
Systems without ARM TEE support require keys embedded in hardware and a secure environment to run. I don't think the current PS3 and Xbox 360 can be considered secure.

The point in listing all the cites above is to 1) Show the plans for sharing media between CE platforms using DLNA with DTCP-IP including a Cable gateway device that allows viewing and recording of media and 2) there are standards that are accepted by all supported by ARM TEE. Sony or Microsoft can provide a hardware solution that doesn't require TEE and provide APIs for applications to use but this is risky, reinventing the wheel and may cost more to implement than using a ARM processor. For Example; AMD rather than creating their own DRM scheme uses ARM and they design hardware...should we expect Sony or Microsoft to develop their own hardware DRM scheme?

onQ123

MONITORING ADVERTISEMENT IMPRESSIONS

MONITORING ADVERTISEMENT IMPRESSIONS

Abstract
A targeted in-game advertising system is provided where advertising content may be delivered to a video game network environment. Advertisements may be delivered through the tagging of advertising assets in the video game environment according to one or more characteristics including user geographical location, personal preferences, a personal profile, video game preferences or video game genre. Methodologies for tracking advertising impressions are also provided based on monitoring the video game environment to determine the quality of impression to which the user is exposed in the video game environment.

INCREASING THE NUMBER OF ADVERTISING IMPRESSIONS IN AN INTERACTIVE ENVIRONMENT

INCREASING THE NUMBER OF ADVERTISING IMPRESSIONS IN AN INTERACTIVE ENVIRONMENT

Abstract
Increasing a number of advertising impressions in a system configured to facilitate user interaction with an interactive environment containing one or more advertising targets is described. A scene of a portion of the simulated environment is displayed from a camera point of view (camera POV) on a video display. The scene may change as the camera POV changes in response to movement of the camera POV along a camera path during the user's interaction with the simulated environment. Modifying the camera path or a camera field of view can place more of an advertising target within the scene displayed on the video display to increase a likelihood of generating an advertising impression compared to a likelihood of generating an advertising impression without the modification.

thefit

Looks like a lot of these functions require the eye thing camera and the move controllers which thankfully are not requirements for PS4 which means they wont be implemented and look more like sony getting as many patents as it can just because or rather to get ahead of anyone else wanting to do the same if you know what I mean.

Preemptive strike.

TheD

The Detective
The only "impression" that ads like that would give me is that the brand is run by cunts and they should go fuck themselves.

onQ123

In-game advertisements? :(
That doesn't sound good at all.
Thread worthy? Need to protest dis shit ASAP.

What exactly are you protesting?

you don't even know how or if this will be done, could be as simple as TV's , billboards , street displays & radios that start to play ads as you walk up to them in a game like GTA & you can simple walk on past them or stop to watch/listen to the ad or even click on it if it's something like & maybe have the movie or game waiting for you after you log out of the game that you was playing when you seen the ad for the movie/game.

or this could just be for the ads in PlayStation Home which are already there.

Zynx

No thank you. We players already pay for games, pay more for "dlc", and are already subjected to advertisements. I don't want tracked ads and in-game ads that are designed to stay intrusively in my field of vision too.

Hmmph. It's this attitude of exploiting a player for as much financial benefit for the game publisher as possible that's really making me shift towards indie games with much more player-friendly fundamentals.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
No thank you. We players already pay for games, pay more for "dlc", and are already subjected to advertisements. I don't want tracked ads and in-game ads that are designed to stay intrusively in my field of vision too.

Hmmph. It's this attitude of exploiting a player for as much financial benefit for the game publisher as possible that's really making me shift towards indie games with much more player-friendly fundamentals.

you (we) pay for cable yet you (we) still get commercials

how. what. why. ohmigosh

Alx

Looks like a lot of these functions require the eye thing camera and the move controllers which thankfully are not requirements for PS4 which means they wont be implemented and look more like sony getting as many patents as it can just because or rather to get ahead of anyone else wanting to do the same if you know what I mean.

Preemptive strike.

There's no point in getting ahead of anybody else if they don't intend to do it themselves...

What exactly are you protesting?

you don't even know how or if this will be done, could be as simple as TV's , billboards , street displays & radios that start to play ads as you walk up to them in a game like GTA & you can simple walk on past them or stop to watch/listen to the ad or even click on it if it's something like & maybe have the movie or game waiting for you after you log out of the game that you was playing when you seen the ad for the movie/game.

or this could just be for the ads in PlayStation Home which are already there.
Interesting...maybe an option in game to don a pair of Google Glasses which are supposed to do the same thing.

Top Bottom