• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation 4 has shipped 86.1 million worldwide

I think it's attained that curious status where people are buying it because it keeps selling.

Regardless, 86 million - that's a whole lot of stability.

Yes, there can be a snowball effect, wanting to be part of the excitement but I think it's fair to say they have been selling great since it came out so it's not just a fad. We need to give credit where it's due, Sony actually took it's shortcomings with the PS3 and improved on it in almost every way. A well designed system, one that developers actually like working on, and priced well. Sony always had its relations with third party so it was just a matter of time to curate and support their own 1st party which ever since 1886 they haven't had too many mis-steps.

Jagz

2015%2F05%2F11%2Fee%2FDerrickRose.4f62f.jpg
It's true; Japanese games now have to go through certification from Sony's Califonian HQ, thus resulting in censored games being released in Japan, itself.

Naturally, Japanese gamers aren't very happy about it. Thus raises the question on whether the recent Americanisation of PlayStation could dramatically hurt future sales of PlayStation in Japan.

MDSLKTR

As somebody who doesn't play western games... (outside RDR)

I'm sad AF I helped Sony for the last 20 years by buying their electronics. This generation alone I bought 3 Ps4s. (2 as gifts) They got cocky and now they are censoring Japanese games for no other reason than to be bullies to niche companies. I don't see the Ps5 selling as much next gen not after all the fallout with their Japanese fans and Sony deleting their tweets/forum posts. Its the Ps3 era attitude all over again. If I didn't have all my Sega games on my Pro I'd sold it by now.
The dozens of you will definitely make a dent into their business.

onQ123

It's true; Japanese games now have to go through certification from Sony's Califonian HQ, thus resulting in censored games being released in Japan, itself.

Naturally, Japanese gamers aren't very happy about it. Thus raises the question on whether the recent Americanisation of PlayStation could dramatically hurt future sales of PlayStation in Japan.

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS5 , nor will they purchase any of Sony consoles. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and un-censor Japanese games or you can kiss your business goodbye.

AlexxKidd

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS5 , nor will they purchase any of Sony consoles. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and un-censor Japanese games or you can kiss your business goodbye.

giphy.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So 2 dozens of guys are no longer going to support Sony because they can't virtually grab underaged anime girls boobs any more. I think Sony can survive that.

If you seriously believe its just because of that you might need a good warm cup of coffee and wake up chap.

Battlechili

Banned
So 2 dozens of guys are no longer going to support Sony because they can't virtually grab underaged anime girls boobs any more. I think Sony can survive that.
Whataburger was complaining about them bullying niche companies. Which they kinda are; its not just affecting Marvelous and Senran Kagura. Its hit D3 Publisher, some VN devs...Its hurting a lot of games that really don't need to be hurt and that sucks.
I mean yeah the vast majority of people probably won't care at the end of the day, but its still making things a lot harder on some of the more niche Japanese developers.

I'm in a similar boat, although I've never really been a Sony fan. Just came to dislike them more from all this news as I was legitimately hyped for Omega Labyrinth Z and have been begging for a Bullet Girls Western release for some time now.
POE's law. This is a parady account right?
Nah; its as Whataburger says. People are to some degree upset about this in a general sense; its worrisome that developers have less freedom to develop what they want to and publish it, especially when Sony has some degree of a monopoly on Japanese games. (some degree of course, the market for Japanese games is growing on PC and is healthy on Nintendo handhelds). Playstation being THE place to publish Japanese games traditionally could affect all platforms and stint developer creativity which is awful. Its the principle of the thing too; people just don't like having content cut, regardless of what the content is.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
People have a weird way of remembering or analyzing things. The only reason PS3 did not sell 100+ million consoles is because it came 1 year later than 360 and it was $200.00 more. If PS3 debuted at $400.00, it would easily outsell Wii.... And I don't think there's a huge difference between them now anyway.....

As for PS2, the console launched at $300.00, it became very cheap too. I picked up a brand new PS2 phat on eBay for $50.00 after PS3 launched. Yet the big news for PS4, is how much that console is selling @$3-400.00, even now. This is not a PS3 situation where it never got a price drop below $200.00.... Sony still has price drops to 279.99, 249.99, 199.99, 179.99 and even 149.99 eventually for PS4 to boost sales.... With some of the biggest games still to come at that, so yes, the console can easily push a record breaking install base....When all is said and done.

Also, could someone explain to me why PS5 being BC will affect PS4 sales? Make it good... If anything, persons who can't afford a PS5 at launch will buy a PS4 at $179/199 in 2020 and be assured that their content will carry over with improved textures, framerate and rez. I don't see how PS5 will stop sales of a cheap PS4..... There's continuity there..

nowhat

The only reason PS3 did not sell 100+ million consoles is because it came 1 year later than 360 and it was $200.00 more. If PS3 debuted at $400.00, it would easily outsell Wii
It was already sold at loss when it was $599 for quite some time. So you suggest Sony should have made even more loss per each console sold?

I'm glad you're not in charge of Sony, because whether you want to admit or not, PS3 almost bankrupted the company at first.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It was already sold at loss when it was $599 for quite some time. So you suggest Sony should have made even more loss per each console sold?

I'm glad you're not in charge of Sony, because whether you want to admit or not, PS3 almost bankrupted the company at first.
They got cocky after the Ps2. Seems like history repeats itself.

zwiggelbig

It’s insane and utter believable how Sony just keeps selling compared to Microsoft and even Nintendo.

A big congratulations from here and all the way down to the bank.
All those crazy good exclusive really help..

Geezus.. Horizon, gow, spiderman, they keep on comming

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to think more people bought the Ps4 for Persona 5, Bloodborne and RDR2. Rather than cinematic experience #4100. Burning your bridges with small devs is a terrible idea that can bite your ass in the long run.

Remember right before the ps4 and xb1 launched, Jeff Gerstmann said these would be the last consoles. That consoles were dead over pc and phones, and no one was going to spend the money on consoles....also still waiting for E3 to end too Jeff

Lol

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking more on the price tag and crap ports that hurt it even when compared to the 360. Which practically broke itself.

nowhat

I'd like to think more people bought the Ps4 for Persona 5, Bloodborne and RDR2. Rather than cinematic experience #4100.
I'm sure you would. But RDR2 aside (it will obviously sell a fuckton), compare the sales of Persona 5 or Bloodborne to the likes of UC4/HZD/GoW/Spider-Man. While with the latter two the jury's still out (let's wait until the end of the holiday season), I'm willing to bet each one of them sold more than P5 or BB.

Edit: Persona 5 - 2.2M sold (as of May this year), Bloodborne ~3M (as far as I was able to find by a quick google). So each of the "cinematic experience #4100"s has sold more.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no doubt but then most gamers already had a ps4 by then so all these guys getting the slim/reduced system at the last year of the consoles life is a whole other thing!

thelastword

Banned

If there's one thing Sony learnt from that gen is that a substantial price on debut is a no go..... Eat the loss, build the install base, bring the games, subs/services and make the money there....

Things are a bit different with hardware these days however, console hardware will never need to eat such losses anymore.. ..No need for 4 billion in R&D et al.

So they will cross the 90mil cap by the end of the year, therefor reaching the lifetime sales of the PS3 and maybe past 100mil for this generation.

Well done. If only they hadn't do that completely, beyond stupid fragmentation of the line-up with the Slim and the Pro...but maybe a third model next year can sustain the platform for the next 3 years until the PS5.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So they will cross the 90mil cap by the end of the year, therefor reaching the lifetime sales of the PS3 and maybe past 100mil for this generation.

Well done. If only they hadn't do that completely, beyond stupid fragmentation of the line-up with the Slim and the Pro...but maybe a third model next year can sustain the platform for the next 3 years until the PS5.
Ho? Next gen starts next year!

thelastword

Banned

There's no fragmentation, PRO and SLIM play the same games...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles
Wikipedia has it listed as 8th gen prob cause Nintendo erased the Wii U quickly.

I honestly never thought it was next gen but now that you mention it what is the Switch?
The Switch is 9th gen. Wii U is 8th gen. The fact that Wii U flopped or the fact that it was only out for a few years doesn't suddenly make the Wii U not 8th gen, in the same way that the original Xbox and the Dreamcast both remain 6th-gen consoles and the Saturn remains a 5th-gen console.

The only reason why it's a bit confusing is because Switch launched so early, essentially breaking the idea of generations. It was a very smart move by Nintendo. They truly do not have to "compete directly" like they kept telling us since the era of the Wii. The Switch successor will also launch mid-way through the 9th gen (this is based on nothing official, merely conjecture), and the cycle will repeat.

cryptoadam

Banned
PS4 is a beast. Its just a great gaming machine. Does this lend credence to the other thread that said something like 38 million xboxes sold? I rememeber it having PS4 right around this 86 million number.

PS4 will still have 2 years left at least so 100 million is in the cards if not all but guranteed.

onQ123

People have a weird way of remembering or analyzing things. The only reason PS3 did not sell 100+ million consoles is because it came 1 year later than 360 and it was $200.00 more. If PS3 debuted at $400.00, it would easily outsell Wii.... And I don't think there's a huge difference between them now anyway.....

As for PS2, the console launched at $300.00, it became very cheap too. I picked up a brand new PS2 phat on eBay for $50.00 after PS3 launched. Yet the big news for PS4, is how much that console is selling @$3-400.00, even now. This is not a PS3 situation where it never got a price drop below $200.00.... Sony still has price drops to 279.99, 249.99, 199.99, 179.99 and even 149.99 eventually for PS4 to boost sales.... With some of the biggest games still to come at that, so yes, the console can easily push a record breaking install base....When all is said and done.

Also, could someone explain to me why PS5 being BC will affect PS4 sales? Make it good... If anything, persons who can't afford a PS5 at launch will buy a PS4 at $179/199 in 2020 and be assured that their content will carry over with improved textures, framerate and rez. I don't see how PS5 will stop sales of a cheap PS4..... There's continuity there..

Because it's not always cheaper to continue to make older hardware like at some point it's going to be cheaper to make PS5 & Xbox Next then it is to make PS4 Pro & Xbox One X if they don't sell enough to keep the price dropping . so if PS4 price get stuck somewhere around $199 & PS4 Pro $249 because of the price of continuing to make the parts then PS5 have a price drop to $299 2 years after release while being able to play PS4 games better than PS4 people will be smart enough to see that they are better off just getting the $299 PS5.

PS4 is a beast. Its just a great gaming machine. Does this lend credence to the other thread that said something like 38 million xboxes sold? I rememeber it having PS4 right around this 86 million number.

PS4 will still have 2 years left at least so 100 million is in the cards if not all but guranteed.

Yeah, Zhuge said it's very close to 40 mil.

Anyway, this interesting :

E8BzXnf.png

onQ123

100 Million is guaranteed, PS4 will be close to 100 million after Christmas.

thelastword

Banned
The thing about Zhuge's Xbox-One numbers is that they are still guesstimates, since MS does not provide official numbers, we will really never know the correct figure.

cryptoadam

Banned

E8BzXnf.png

Thats why I think its got another 2 or 3 years to go. Even when PS5 launches people will still buy the PS4 which will probably be down to 199. 20-30 million more over the next 2/3 years is going to happen IMO.

SonGoku

Still won't make it to PS2 numbers (despite what a certain poster would have you believe). But surpassing the original Playstation (that was very much a hit) is definitely possible.
Not really a fair comparison, for it to come close to ps2 numbers the ps5 launch would have to be a absolute disaster
No $100 sweet spot either

Hudo

Congratulations, Sony. Although, they had it easier this gen, IMHO. Microsoft were Sony's best advertiser.

Personally speaking, I have been disappointed with Sony this gen. They started very strong and seemed to had the right policies in place. But their overall terrible build quality, how they've treated indies and their (for me!) weak first-party lineup just makes me hope that Microsoft will get back into the ring as a real competitor. Pressure is good.

But I know that this is an unpopular opinion around here, so let me end on something positive: I like that Sony have shown that consoles can still be viable to develop for (Remember, some third-parties were unsure about this generation of consoles).

Three

E8BzXnf.png

Correct for inflation and I don't think it will hit that $100 mark ever again. Don't even expect a <$200 PS4. It may happen but it will be unlikely. The way tech and royalties work today things don't just keep getting cheaper.

davitpr

...other than PS2 selling 158M (according to Wikipedia)? That's nearly double what PS4 has sold so far. And given that very likely PS5 will support PS4 games too, it's very doubtful PS4 will continue to sell as well after PS5 is released, compared to PS2/PS3.
You're forgetting about the price factor. PS5 will probably be $399-$499 on Launch with few games while the PS4 will have another Slim re design selling for $199 with bundled games. I can see the ps4 having a long life with a huge catalog of great games and VR enabled. PS5 will probably be announced in 2020 for a 2021 release, that gives the ps4 3 more years to keep selling 15-20 million per year. I don't know, I think the PS4 can surpass the PS2

nowhat

PS5 will probably be announced in 2020 for a 2021 release
That's the thing, it's entirely dependent on when the inevitable PS5 will be released (and whether it will play PS4 games too - by all accounts it will, but this is Sony we're talking about, who knows). I'm in camp 2020.

onQ123

Not really a fair comparison, for it to come close to ps2 numbers the ps5 launch would have to be a absolute disaster
No $100 sweet spot either

Why do you think that? if PS5 release in 2020 PS4 will already be over 115 million sold so even if PS4 shipments drop to half in the next 2 years after PS5 is released it will still be over 130 million sold & push it's way to 140 - 150 million sold.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Absolutely insane. Congratulations to Sony. Who would've thought, that making a splendid console with great games and a lot of anti consumerism would be a great idea? Lets hope Microsoft learns from this.

Fixed that for you ;)

Elcid

Banned
It amazes me that till this day most stores have pallets of X1 consoles and I only ever see 2 or 3 PS4s for sell and rarel ever see a PS4 Pro in stores. Seen 1 in 6+ months.

thelastword

Banned
Because it's not always cheaper to continue to make older hardware like at some point it's going to be cheaper to make PS5 & Xbox Next then it is to make PS4 Pro & Xbox One X if they don't sell enough to keep the price dropping . so if PS4 price get stuck somewhere around $199 & PS4 Pro $249 because of the price of continuing to make the parts then PS5 have a price drop to $299 2 years after release while being able to play PS4 games better than PS4 people will be smart enough to see that they are better off just getting the $299.
I'm not saying that PS4 sales will be strong after PS5 debuts indefinitely, but expect solid PS4 sales for two years after 5's launch. Also, there's no way a PS5 is $299 in 2022, yet, if it is, a normal PS4 could be in the $79.99-99.00 range and the PRO about $150-179....

The PS4 is not exotic like the PS3. Parts will get cheaper, I even expect a Pro Slim sometime soon.

leo-j

Congratulations, Sony. Although, they had it easier this gen, IMHO. Microsoft were Sony's best advertiser.

Personally speaking, I have been disappointed with Sony this gen. They started very strong and seemed to had the right policies in place. But their overall terrible build quality, how they've treated indies and their (for me!) weak first-party lineup just makes me hope that Microsoft will get back into the ring as a real competitor. Pressure is good.

But I know that this is an unpopular opinion around here, so let me end on something positive: I like that Sony have shown that consoles can still be viable to develop for (Remember, some third-parties were unsure about this generation of consoles).

Nah, this is sony’s Best showing with first party up there with ps3 era.

They had a weak first party in comparison during the ps2 era and were being pushed by strong third party games. This time they have the big guns like god of war, uncharted, the last of us, Spider-Man, and horizon along with many more that are helping to push the weaker 399 pro in sales over the super powerful and heavily discounted one x.

nowhat

I'm not saying that PS4 sales will be strong after PS5 debuts indefinitely, but expect solid PS4 sales for two years after 5's launch.
When PS4 was released, it didn't (and still doesn't, but that's beside the point) support PS3 games. PS3 slims (or whatever the last hardware revision was officially called) could be had very cheaply. Yet... how much did PS3 sell after PS4 was launched? A solid two years?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wonder if sales in Japan will begin to slow after the recent censorship news?

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Guys please stop this craziness! GAF is nowhere close to real-life. Ain't nobody caring about your small niche Japanese "small" censorship news in those games.

Top Bottom