• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation 4 has shipped 86.1 million worldwide

Hudo

Nah, this is sony’s Best showing with first party up there with ps3 era.

They had a weak first party in comparison during the ps2 era and were being pushed by strong third party games. This time they have the big guns like god of war, uncharted, the last of us, Spider-Man, and horizon along with many more that are helping to push the weaker 399 pro in sales over the super powerful and heavily discounted one x.
That's highly subjective. It's very cool that Sony's first-party offerings seem to be on point for you. More power to you then :D. For me, most of those games are just not doing it (But they are not bad games! Just not for me, that's all). But the majority of people seem to like those otherwise those games wouldn't sell.

I would actually hypothesise that Sony's strength actually lies in their third-party relations and not necessarily in their first-party(Again, that doesn't mean that Sony's first-party games are bad). Sony have managed to get the games from the West and the East on their platform while Microsoft are still struggling with that.

Tarkus98

How many sold through though? 80mil? 82mil?
Says in the report $86 million sold through. Basically everything they are shipping are selling and not sitting on shelves. Would really like to see pro numbers broken out though.
Pretty good numbers overall me thinks.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Remember right before the ps4 and xb1 launched, Jeff Gerstmann said these would be the last consoles. That consoles were dead over pc and phones, and no one was going to spend the money on consoles....also still waiting for E3 to end too Jeff

Lol

The realest thing you've said on GAF is right HERE in this post. I hate it when these guys predict stuff that's so super, yet never openly express how wrong they were. They just push out the prediction a year or two down the line. They don't realize the flaw in their understanding of the video game market.

Geki-D

Banned
Says in the report $86 million sold through. Basically everything they are shipping are selling and not sitting on shelves. Would really like to see pro numbers broken out though.
I'm surprised people are still floating the "But it's only shipped!" nugget. When a publisher ships a product to a retailer, the retailer has paid for it. The publisher has made their money so they're happy, it's been "sold through" to the retailer. They don't really care if the numbers are sold through to customers or shipped in these types of reports.

I guess if you really care how much profit Gamestop are making, then you should be interested in sold through but those numbers are hard to track globally. Shipped is the only solid number you're ever going to get and the only one publishers care about.

Attach rate will be measured more through subscriptions and software sales (and even then, they could be coming from anywhere, like second hand sales), and they're both up for Sony, so whatever.

Last edited:
I'm surprised people are still floating the "But it's only shipped!" nugget.
It is a cautionary holdover from the numerous times when Microsoft stuffed channels with 360s. I believe the same thing happened for launch Xbox Ones (Titanfall editions and Day One editions were readily available for months after launch).

Geki-D

Banned
It is a cautionary holdover from the numerous times when Microsoft stuffed channels with 360s. I believe the same thing happened for launch Xbox Ones (Titanfall editions and Day One editions were readily available for months after launch).
Sure, but retailers did actually buy them. MS got their money so they, at least, were happy.

When PS4 was released, it didn't (and still doesn't, but that's beside the point) support PS3 games. PS3 slims (or whatever the last hardware revision was officially called) could be had very cheaply. Yet... how much did PS3 sell after PS4 was launched? A solid two years?
It went on to sell more than the 360, didn't it? So it must have still been selling.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Sure, but retailers did actually buy them. MS got their money so they, at least, were happy.
Though I should add to this that whilst a publisher will get their payday, if their product is still sitting on shelves, retailers won't buy more, so it does end up harming the publisher. I'm not saying sold through to customers is irrelevant, but by every metric the PS4 is killing it and at this point in the gen, the question as to whether or not the numbers are to retailer or to customers is just ignorance at best, fanboy sophistry at worst.

onQ123

I'm not saying that PS4 sales will be strong after PS5 debuts indefinitely, but expect solid PS4 sales for two years after 5's launch. Also, there's no way a PS5 is $299 in 2022, yet, if it is, a normal PS4 could be in the $79.99-99.00 range and the PRO about $150-179....

The PS4 is not exotic like the PS3. Parts will get cheaper, I even expect a Pro Slim sometime soon.

You asked why PS5 having BC would affect PS4 sales & I gave a reason.

Tarkus98

I'm surprised people are still floating the "But it's only shipped!" nugget. When a publisher ships a product to a retailer, the retailer has paid for it. The publisher has made their money so they're happy, it's been "sold through" to the retailer. They don't really care if the numbers are sold through to customers or shipped in these types of reports.

I guess if you really care how much profit Gamestop are making, then you should be interested in sold through but those numbers are hard to track globally. Shipped is the only solid number you're ever going to get and the only one publishers care about.

Attach rate will be measured more through subscriptions and software sales (and even then, they could be coming from anywhere, like second hand sales), and they're both up for Sony, so whatever.
Great post and very informative. It should indeed be understood that in many cases shipped are very close to sold. Certainly in the shippers budget it is sold since the retailer is buying the units from Sony.

RAIDEN1

You wonder will there ever be a challenger out there to knock Sony off their perch...and keep them on their toes..

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, Zhuge said it's very close to 40 mil.

Anyway, this interesting :

E8BzXnf.png

This! This is the chart I wanted to see. Unless the profit margins in the first year or so were horribly horribly low (or negative...) and the profit margins of PS1 and PS2 were comparatively very very high (and positive) in the same period... this means PS4 is generating some mad cash for the company.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Shipped. Is. Sold. My God, people. The Stores bought these consoles. That's what companies care about. WOW!

Sure, but call down mate ;). The reason people worry about channel stuffing can be valid... heck Nintendo got Wii U returned to them by retailers. You can temporarily strong arm some retailers and give them some nice discount (which affects profit margins negatively, not sales targets) to make very large orders in some quarters where you want to inflate your numbers, but it could mean sharp drop offs when retailers push back... and if you pull the stunt again it may cost you even more as retailers may pass the storage cost to the manufacturers... dodgy and unlikely for PS4, but the question is legit.

Lightsbane

One of my friends had two at launch.

One with the blue light issue day one and another kept spitting disks out and Sony couldn't repair it so replaced it

Yeah, I'm on my second one too. Launch model had the disk-spitting problem, Slim doesn't.

Awesome console.

This! This is the chart I wanted to see. Unless the profit margins in the first year or so were horribly horribly low (or negative...) and the profit margins of PS1 and PS2 were comparatively very very high (and positive) in the same period... this means PS4 is generating some mad cash for the company.

IIRC Kaz said back at May 2014 that PS4 is profitable. By how much, i dunno.

nani17

are in a big trouble
This is what happens when you have amazing exclusives that are getting amazing reviews. MS needs to learn from this with their next system. Triple-A exclusives always attract buyers it always has and it always will IMO

nowhat

By the way OsirisBlack is the one who brought us the PS4 Pro info so I'm waiting for the info
Colour me interested, naturally, but quoting from that link: "It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k"

...sadly this was not the case.

onQ123

Colour me interested, naturally, but quoting from that link: "It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k"

...sadly this was not the case.

You have to remember he was getting this info before the hardware was locked down a lot was still in the air.

Wow. What a beast of a console. It's not even a question if it will pass PS1 at this point. What is the exact number the PS1 sold?

Yeah, Zhuge said it's very close to 40 mil.

Anyway, this interesting :

E8BzXnf.png

It was much easier to cut costs for those older consoles.

First - semiconductors industry was moving at much faster pace (in 5 years PS4 soc went from 28nm to 16nm and that's all)
Second - weight of HDD drive affecting cost - cost of HDDs doesn't fall bellow certain point they just add more space to them

So I think they won't ever go below 200$ price and unlike PS3 12 GB model that they shipped in last stages of it's life you can't cut HDD from current consoles as all games need to be installed on them.

onQ123

100 million easily.

Games sell consoles. Nothing else.

I know people who bought PS2 for it's DVD playback , My brother bought a Dreamcast for it's web browser after he seen me browsing the internet on a 50" TV back in the day lol & I read about people buying PS3 for Blu-ray playback. Also before the Android box & Firestick craze people was buying PS3,Xbox 360 & Wii for Netflix & other media apps.

petrus91

100 million easily.

Games sell consoles. Nothing else.
Not only games but good choices.
Remember when PS4 virtually had “no games” and yet it sold more than the competition?
So, yes, games do help to sell consoles but it’s not the only factor.
Brand, power (yes, power, I remember the “1080p makes you a better gamer” pr), games and marketing.
All of which have been in favour to Sony this gen.

Stuart360

Remember when PS4 virtually had “no games” and yet it sold more than the competition?
Brand, power (yes, power, I remember the “1080p makes you a better gamer” pr), games and marketing.
Exactly. People have short memories, it was all 'PS4 has no games' for the first year or two of this gen, yet PS4 still outsold XB1. Price, power, and Sony being more popular worldwide also was a big factor.
In fact on this very forum last gen, the concensous was that exclusives dont sell systems and multiplatform games being the best on 360 was the reason for its success (and multiplatform games have been best on PS4 this gen). Feelings seem to change to suit situations.

Quite simply one of the greatest console platforms to have ever been released as it simply ticks to many boxes with ease. Will be interesting to see how they follow it up and if they keep the momentum rolling as their fourth iteration has delivered above and beyond what was expected on nearly all fronts.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Damn that doesn’t even include the used market and how many PS4 have been sold used. Beast of a console

WaterAstro

Wut, it had plenty of games even at launch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Exactly. People have short memories, it was all 'PS4 has no games' for the first year or two of this gen, yet PS4 still outsold XB1. Price, power, and Sony being more popular worldwide also was a big factor.
In fact on this very forum last gen, the concensous was that exclusives dont sell systems and multiplatform games being the best on 360 was the reason for its success (and multiplatform games have been best on PS4 this gen). Feelings seem to change to suit situations.

Except the PS4 had games. I never understand that complaint.

Jagz

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Guys please stop this craziness! GAF is nowhere close to real-life. Ain't nobody caring about your small niche Japanese "small" censorship news in those games.
You say that, but you haven't seen Japanese gamers reaction to it - they're not happy. It's not so much about the censorship of a few games, it's the fact that Sony are pushing Americanised politics on to Japanese consumers (because their HQ is now located in California).

Also, the news of the censorship is still relatively recent, but already lots of people are talking about it all across the Internet. Mainstream media, of course, won't discuss it; they support this kind of censorship (while hypocritically, were opposed to Jack Thompson's censorship attempts).

thelastword

Banned
Yes, should be very good, PRO has been out for a minute and they are in high demand. Sony is a bit behind on meeting that demand, which bodes well for PS4's momentum for the holidays and it's growing install base. Sony will continue to increase projections for PS4 as the more they can produce PRO, s.. A $300-350 PRO this holiday should make a killing alongside slim sales....
Kinect bundles as well....
Though I should add to this that whilst a publisher will get their payday, if their product is still sitting on shelves, retailers won't buy more, so it does end up harming the publisher. I'm not saying sold through to customers is irrelevant, but by every metric the PS4 is killing it and at this point in the gen, the question as to whether or not the numbers are to retailer or to customers is just ignorance at best, fanboy sophistry at worst.
Yes, and we can at least gauge sell through by using leaked npd numbers as well as quarterly and yearly European numbers.
You wonder will there ever be a challenger out there to knock Sony off their perch...and keep them on their toes..
I don't know about knocking them off their perch, but I wish Nintendo would release a powerful console and invest in a bevy of new IP's, even their most ambitious game (Zelda) would benefit tremendously from the better tech, and perhaps encourage them to invest in other genres at that scale..... As for MS, they simply need to go back to the OG Xbox mindset. These two may not eclipse Sony then, but they'd be more viable as second consoles if you main PS.

Top Bottom