• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation 4 has shipped 86.1 million worldwide

SonGoku

It's only funny because some of you guys take this censorship too far! Yes it's a bad policy and Sony shouldn't be doing it. What they were doing this whole generation was fine. Now need to change policies now. But some Gaffers are acting as if 30% of the Japanse market will boycott the PlayStation brand now. As if those games ever made up that huge of a market and as if that many people ACTUALLY care about this policy change.

Just get your heads out of your own butts for a second and live in reality.
You are correct, 30% of the Japanese market won't boycott. As a expert in Japanese culture i can assure you 100% will

You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move. Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by censoring indie developers. If you censor someone in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a PS4 system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel censorship policies for Japanese PS4 games or you can kiss your business goodbye. :messenger_pouting::lollipop_angry_face:

I stopped reading after "im an expert" lmao just fucking stop

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You are correct, 30% of the Japanese market won't boycott. As a expert in Japanese culture i can assure you 100% will

Okay sorry I didn't realize that this post and your last one were joke post for laughs. Reading these post again, they are pretty funny with that context.

Trogdor1123

Considering the price it's very impressive, 100 million is a certainty.

A large price drop would cause another surge too.

I can't wait for the next generation but a touch longer on this one wouldn't hurt my feelings.

mckmas8808

Now imagine a $199 RDR2 bundle

bombe.jpg

onQ123

Considering the price it's very impressive, 100 million is a certainty.

A large price drop would cause another surge too.

I can't wait for the next generation but a touch longer on this one wouldn't hurt my feelings.

That's the thing this generation could go for about more years because people are not really dying for better graphics so releasing a new console too soon could end up a complete miss like the Wii U or Vita.

thelastword

Banned
Which makes it all the more impressive

After the PS4 launched, ps3 sales dropped like a rock
So unless sony botches ps5 launch, same thing will happen to ps4 sales, or they hit that $100/$150 sweetspot

At most i can see it selling 130m
Just before PS4's launch, Sony announced that PS3 was over 80 million consoles, that's the last official number we got from Sony. MS gave their last offcial number in June 2014 and discontinued the system in April 2016. Sony however discontinued the PS3 only in May of 2017....Which means it has been selling all this time. Yes, when PS4 came out, that took over, PS3 did not or ever outsell PS4 since that launch, but PS3 sales didn't fall off a cliff either, as they continued production and shipments up to May of last year.....It's just that Sony never gave PS3 shipment or sold numbers after PS4's launch, their last bubble on the subject was around November 2nd, 2013...

It has to be said, that we just don't have it's final figures, perhaps Sony will share it one day, but I'll have to say, everything pegs it above 360 figures...Even now there are still new PS3's in circulation from the very last shipment and production schedule, and we're in 2018. The reason why I think PS3 did not fall off a cliff in November 2013 is because there were christmas sales for the system too, it didn't beat PS4, but what could, yet it did push units, especially since we had the likes of TLOU, Ni No Kuni, GT6, GOW Ascension and other exclusives still fresh and coming and there were still many crossgen games hitting the system like AC etc, with games like Fifa still doing it's thing on these systems....The GTA PS3 bundle was still a hot item for the holidays and you could get a 12GB PS3 for $199.00 too. So it continued to sell after PS4 arrived, even now... Enough to put a few more million units on the last announced number...Of course we must always take into account that I'm talking worldwide, not just the USA, where worldwide, PS3 was always ahead of 360, which rather speaks to and boosts total installbase more than anything.....Thing is, not everybody bought a PS4 on debut....People still bought the "triple"....;)

https://gamerant.com/playstation-3-sales-80-million/

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/30/1...production-ends-discontinued-sales-80-million

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423268,00.asp

A PS3 with a 500GB harddrive was like $300 when PS4 came out at $399 with a 500GB , PS3 wasn't so easy to develop for so support dried up pretty quick & Sony had a lot more to gain from selling PS4 than they did from selling old PS3s because of the new pay to play online model. PS4 on the other hand is a goldmine for Sony & this 100 million plus user base will be getting games until it don't make any sense to make games for it anymore.
PS3 at the holidays could be had with games for insane prices. You had bundles with quite a few games for $200.-250, including the GTA bundle and you had the $199 12GB PS3, which went even lower than that at some retailers.......Obviously now, it's going to get harder to get brand new PS3 systems at that price because what's currently in the channel since the last shipment is slowly depleting...

Great post, which again shows that the PS3 was always ahead of 360...Yet PS3 had even more mometum over 360 worldwide, after the new consoles in 2013.... With it being a bluray player and with triple AA exclusives still hitting the console that year...

A bunch of people trying to deny or downplay total domination ITT. That the PS4 can even be in the potential realm of the PS2 shows how absolutely dominant it has been this generation, especially when you consider the PS2 was cheaper at the same point in its lifespan and got even cheaper as time went on. Will Sony do that? Hard to say, but there is a lot of time to make it a reality seeing as the PS2 wasn't even taken out of production until 2013.... think about that for a moment.
PS4 is tracking ahead of PS2 and still people deny what's possible there. Some of it's biggest games are yet to come....Lou2, Death Stranding, Tsushima, Dreams on top of a number of third party exclusives, and yet people are are doubting. it's their preorgative no doubt, but it's not exactly a difficult assessment to thumbs up...

And don't talk of Sony's play on price cuts for 2018 and 2019 and before the PS5 hits in 2020. As it stands, they may not even be in a hurry to price cut in 2018, temporary price cuts for the holidays should be enough and that will have Sony raising projections even more than they have. That leaked PS4 Slim with Spiderman at $199.00 should be a slaughterhouse if true. PRO's should have insane deals too going by that, if it can be nabbed for $299 with game.

Meanwhile, their closest competitor is still releasing $500 hardware hoping that it'll somehow magically appeal to the non-enthusiast crowd. Hopefully Sony doesn't try to chase them down that rabbit hole, because it goes nowhere.
Tbh, I'd love them to go all out and give me a $500.00 system at launch and price cut after year 1, that means the hardware will be super powerful and with AMD's 7nm+ or ++, we can get even further price reductions and node shrinks a year in. So I say put in as much power....Or they can always put in more power and sell it at $400.00, they will bring the games anyway, so why not establish the base to buy a truckload of those games.....

Fair, but I cannot shake the feeling that there is a chalkboard full of “maybe <this> will impact future sales in the next generation of Sony... it may be the thing that causes Xbox to win”... sure, not the point you were making (sorry if it seems like I am implying that at all), but I guess it happens to the companies that are on top and it generates as much anger as it does admiration and thus the desire to see another underdog win.
There's nothing to shake, it's rampant....I've seen the same thing with Crossplay, Name Change, UHD Bluray......Even Sony's E3 presentation, being different from the norm, people said Sony would lose momentum..... and perhaps the other companies would start to gain over them. Now it's the Japanese Censor thing, I don't think it will end till the new systems debut....Meanwhile, PS4 will continue to break records and sets it's sights on overthrowing PS2 sales....

nowhat

Not sure why someone would need approval to post info they have.
If there is really new info to be had, the person sharing it would surely be breaking an NDA at this point. There may be legal consequences, quite severe ones at that. So, making sure no connections can be made to the actual person (IP address logs, whatnot) would be one thing.

TLZ

Banned
Have to agree with this.

That and imo us waiting and waiting might unintentionally hype up the info they have, which might backfire if that info isn't that much tbw.

So I say throw it out there anyway and let the mods do whatever they do later. If you know your sources anyway it doesn't matter much.

TLZ

Banned
If there is really new info to be had, the person sharing it would surely be breaking an NDA at this point. There may be legal consequences, quite severe ones at that. So, making sure no connections can be made to the actual person (IP address logs, whatnot) would be one thing.
So they erase traces you mean? If it became that serious, and say legal, wouldn't also erasing IP traces like that be as bad?
First so that the mods can confirm the information is correct or at least reliable and so that the user does not get banned for posting bs.
I still don't get how mods check their reliability. I remember a mod back when once said it's nothing major. Or nothing at all even.

Last edited:

nowhat

So they erase traces you mean? If it became that serious, and say legal, wouldn't also erasing IP traces like that be as bad?
Not necessarily. In general, forum maintainers are not responsible for whatever the users post. And if some logs happen to get deleted/truncated - that's hardware failure for you, right?

But just hypothetically, if we were really to receive some tangible information at this point, before any kind of official announcement has been made, someone at some point has breached an NDA. And while I have done so myself (in my defense, just while discussing shop among very close friends that work in unrelated fields, and the NDAs have been more NDAs for NDAs sake, like the companies in question have felt there needs to be one although there's nothing special about what they're up to), when it comes to larger corporations it can be some very serious shit.

Last edited:

Three

I still don't get how mods check their reliability. I remember a mod back when once said it's nothing major. Or nothing at all even.

Not sure to be honest. I guess they just collect info on the users sources and who they are/where they work. Then they build a rep much like journalists and their sources whether the info they were given is true or not.

DavidGzz

Well deserved! Sony killed and keeps killing with those exclusives and giving us what we wanted from the beginning of the generation. A powerful console.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Have to agree with this.

It's a rule to stop anyone from posting 'rumours' without proof, otherwise we could be looking at a SPAM fest of made up 'rumours'.

Osiris has a good history so hopefully all will be revealed soon.
Maybe S Swizzle could advise on the hold up?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's a rule to stop anyone from posting 'rumours' without proof, otherwise we could be looking at a SPAM fest of made up 'rumours'.

Osiris has a good history so hopefully all will be revealed soon.
Maybe S Swizzle could advise on the hold up?

I can see wanting to stop made up rumors but can also see how leaking info could be impossible to verify.

Shin

Banned
Now imagine a $199 RDR2 bundle
What other exclusive deals do they have this year with 3rd parties?
Either way they'd have to be mighty stupid not to have a RDR2 bundle plus a family friendly one (though I reckon Spider-man fills that gap).

Three

Either way they'd have to be mighty stupid not to have a RDR2 bundle plus a family friendly one (though I reckon Spider-man fills that gap).
Black ops 4

bitbydeath

Gold Member
So if someone was actually bringing leaked info here they should be revealed to their company who leaks the info?

Not publicly. The readers don't need to know that particular information if they do not wish to share it.
The readers just need to know a verification process has been completed providing the rumour with some credibility. I do believe Osiris has already been verified though previously.

onQ123

Beginning to wonder if there even was info honestly.

Could have just asked for a Mod without mentioning PS5 unless they wanted the attention, I dunno.

I'm pretty sure it's real but he is being careful not to link it back to someone who could get in trouble I guess , I think he is a Game store manager or something like that

TLZ

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's real but he is being careful not to link it back to someone who could get in trouble I guess , I think he is a Game store manager or something like that
Can PM me the info to leak and he stays in the dark :messenger_relieved:

mckmas8808

That's what I always assumed too.

thelastword

Banned
So who were they marketing the original Xbone to when it came out at $500?
Money! Sony could have XBONEX clocks and more memory in 2016 if they cared to up the price to $500.00........Uhm scratch that, perhaps even more than just XBONEX clocks, since Osiris Black mentioned Sony was considering between two pro units....One with better specs than the current one, with a better CPU @500.00......So I guess the $400.00 pricepoint, as well as less headache with CPU incompatibility for older software, were the arguments which won in their end......

SonGoku

Indeed but knowing Sony backwards ass they will offer a Pro RDR2 bunde and call it a day
The slim is where is at

MS introduces paid online service, millions of stupid people accept it and sign on. Competitors see this and follow suit. Any questions?

They did not introduce it.

The reason it sold well without games was the promise of great games abs a great track record to deliver them right up until the next generation launches.

No it was because the competition was $500 and only in 13 countries. What else were half the buyers going to buy?

Sony have managed to get the games from the West and the East on their platform while Microsoft are still struggling with that.

You really don't need games from the east though. PS4 has more games than box from the west.

It is a cautionary holdover from the numerous times when Microsoft stuffed channels with 360s. I believe the same thing happened for launch Xbox Ones (Titanfall editions and Day One editions were readily available for months after launch).

They didn't really overstuff anything Xbox One was selling lot hotcakes out the gate.

It went on to sell more than the 360, didn't it? So it must have still been selling.

This hasn't happened and Sony will never confirm it because it's not true.

Damn that doesn’t even include the used market and how many PS4 have been sold used. Beast of a console

uhhh??
People have a weird way of remembering or analyzing things. The only reason PS3 did not sell 100+ million consoles is because it came 1 year later than 360 and it was $200.00 more. If PS3 debuted at $400.00, it would easily outsell Wii....

No it didn't sell 100 million because it had a format that never really replaced DVD, costs way too much, did not have games at launch everyone wanted to buy, had a horrible E3, and had a hard time explaining what the PS3 was or what it could do in marketing. Also it never dropped to $99 and the cheapest PS3 SKu was basically styrofoam.

Also you forget the Wii had an audience the PS3 would never get (but the 360 would get in part)

I think they just wanted to push BluRay and eliminate HD DVD.

You can't possibly believe this unless you forgot the actions they made in regards to the PS3 and their marketing strategy. Blu-Ray won a battle that it was losing because of bribery. It was an afterthought as DVD's got better players and dropped in price.

Shipped. Is. Sold. My God, people. The Stores bought these consoles. That's what companies care about. WOW!

Until the buybacks. Look at the Wii U.

they started very strong and seemed to had the right policies in place. ).

How did Sony start out strong? by the end of 2013 they were close in sales to the Xbox One despite the Xbox Ones policies before launch, odd PR, and Xbox one only launching in 13 countries.

Unless you mean after mid 2014.
The PS3 surpassed 360's sales though.

Sony won't confirm this because it never happened. People keep linking estimates that are all over the place.

Great numbers, this holiday should be gargantuan....Sony better keep increasing sales forecasts because PS4 is coming for PS2 numbers....By mid 2020, PS4 should be in the 140-150 range.....

He at least said according to VG Chartz, where are you getting your numbers from, even Wikipedia has 360 locked 84 and PS3 greater than >83.8, which means it has surpassed 360 for a minute....

First off wikipedia has the PS3 at 80. Some guy in the best selling list (and only there) added 83.8 based on an articles that tried to extrapolate sales figures from a sony report that included the entire Playstation family together.

Second how is one item that has a higher number of sales mean that the one with a smaller number of sales passed them for a minute????

but PS3 still outsold 360 worldwide.

It never did and Sony will never confirm it.

Kinect launched close to the holidays and it was also bundled, it was given away on Oprah's Show, Jimmy Fallon etc...It had a huge Beverly Hills party where it was given away

They didn't give away nearly 30 million Kinects (360 only) for free. It even helped sales in japan for a small period of time.

Speaking of Kinect isn't it funny that we are looking at PlayStation Move controllers in the OP 8 years later while Kinect is out of the picture? lol

Not really Kinect has several years to prove itself and the fad ended. I doubt move in any form is going to sell over 35 million units like Kinect.

Ps4 is on a league on its own and has nothing to do with MS fuck ups, and that's just talking in America only.

In america it was definitely MS's screw ups as the consoles were very close for most of their run. Microsoft's 2014 didn't help things along with their $500. Also the power argument was most effective in America because in America power actually does often sell consoles. It's one of the reasons Xbox actually beat PS2 in some NPDs. Things are picking up post X. it's still not too late for Xbox to close the USA's gap, but they'll need to come up with something or release some big games along with a price cut on both the S and the X to actually do it and Microsoft isn't thinking about wasting money right now like they did with the 360.

Everyone seems to blame the lopsided sales comparison on Xbox One's launch. While that was laughably bad,

The Xbox One at launch sold truckloads, everyone though those policies wouldn't have much of an effect, and that wouldn't become a real problem until after 1q 2014. Xbox One sold 1 million in 24 hours like the PS4, Xbox one sold close to the PS4 numbers despite the tier nonsense causing Microsoft only to release in 13 countries while the PS4 was in more than double that.

Xbox One launch was massively successful. it wouldn't even be clear Kinect would screw them over or the $500 price point until Titanfall.

mckmas8808

Yep, this is the last time I check this thread.

For awhile it always had my interest when it was bumped but something is up like it did not get approved or whatever.

OsirsisBlack personally killed this thread. We were all having fun discussing PS4 sales and then he hit us with a rumor bomb but never lit the fuse. It's a dud.

Top Bottom