• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Icolin

Banned
Lol we got the Same shit aside from suckerpunch(hold that L now)
CLGaDFcWUAEGYtJ.jpg

I'll give it back to you when 2018 rolls around.
2btBLGt.png
2btBLGt.png

MCD250

For what it's worth I think Sucker Punch's new game is 2018 too. Been like 3 years since inFAMOUS, right? 4-4.5 years between the two games seems right.

Zukkoyaki

I could see SP either 2018 or 2019. Both feel totally plausible to me. Honestly, a surprise release this year like Dreams or Detroit feels plausible as well.

But this generation has taught me to be conservative with my release window predictions, hence why I think 2019 is more likely. Bloodborne and LBP3 were the only games with a short window from announcement to release.

nimbusstev

Neo Member

I was curious about this and looked into it. So Kojima didn't say that Death Stranding would release before the new Akira movie comes out. He said that the game would come out before the year that the original Akira is set in (which is 2019).

There is in fact a live action Akira in production (and they probably want to target a 2019 release to coincide with the setting of the original), but that project is in limbo so that movie's release wouldn't make a very good milestone for Death Stranding.

Skeeter49

Eh, are we counting collabs with Sony Japan. Missing 18 and 19 would be somewhat disappointing if we're counting things like potential From Software projects.

Underestimating Sucker Punch should be a crime.

Some Nobody

You mean #TeamRight? If Sucker Punch's new IP were coming out next year, Sony would've announced it already. You know, like their other two upcoming open world games: Spider-Man and Days Gone.

They've got to eventually get a game's reveal schedule right instead of just showing off games that aren't due for years. :p

You guys are embarrassing yourselves with this notion that Sucker Punch's new IP is in 2018. #SPis2019

Infamous: Second Son was early 2014. It's very unlikely the full development team was needed for First Light, as the world was already complete. If their next game comes out in 2018 that gives them potentially upwards of 4.5 years for development, or if we count First Light then it's 4 whole years (or a little more). That's not unrealistic.

AndyVirus

Also in the Sucker Punch 2018 crew. Only reason I would have doubts is because Spider-Man, GoW, Days Gone, Detroit could all be 2018 too so they put it out in Feb '19 instead (where they may have nothing for the early year period). So yeah, I thoroughly believe the game will be done by late 2018, just given a couple extra months because there's no need to rush it out.

Does anyone know why Sony stopped putting their "Sony Computer Entertainment/Sony Interactive Entertainment" logo on the cover of the their first party games?

Does anyone know why Sony stopped putting their "Sony Computer Entertainment/Sony Interactive Entertainment" logo on the cover of the their first party games?

I noticed this a couple of days ago too. It's nice that they've giving devs like From, Naughty Dog and Media Molecule sole credit, but it seems a bit inconsistent as on some they don't feature any dev or publisher logo (e.g. Gravity Rush 2, PS VR Worlds).

SamNW

I noticed this a couple of days ago too. It's nice that they've giving devs like From, Naughty Dog and Media Molecule sole credit, but it seems a bit inconsistent as on some they don't feature any dev or publisher logo (e.g. Gravity Rush 2, PS VR Worlds).
Better to have less clutter obstructing the cover art, as far as I'm concerned.

wapplew

Famous studio is more marketable I guess. Sorry Japan studio and London studio...

FelipeMGM

Sucker Punch's new IP is 2019, along with Death Stranding and The Last Of Us Part II making a great ''swan song year'' for the PS4

Sorry, this is going to hurt, but I wish he never made GR1&2 and invested his time in new horror games....

And now that he said that he is doing another adventure game, saddens me.

that did hurt
Gravity Rush is awesome

"Adventure game" is rather vague. It could range from Uncharted to Gravity Rush to a literal definition like Grim Fandango. I see where you're coming from, but it's too vague a description to think of what kind of game it could be.

Nah, he said action adventure

Its really gonna suck if some of these studios only get one game out before the generation is over.
Unfortunately that's probably gonna happen with Santa Monica, Bend, Polyphony, and Media Molecule. If only SSM's new IP worked out they probably would have gotten a sequel in for 3 games this gen. That said, if PS5 is 2020 I could see any of them getting a second game in towards the end
Sucker Punch's new IP is 2019, along with Death Stranding and The Last Of Us Part II making a great ''swan song year'' for the PS4
Throw in the next R&C that I fully expect that year and, on paper, that's a better swan song than the PS3 had IMO

Thorrgal

So regarding MM, we know studios get paid when they have their games on plus, right? Can we see this 2 past months as a way SONY has of helping MM? Or as something else?

Edit: Also wanted to say Days Gone will be the next Horizon...just watch ;)

So regarding MM, we know studios get paid when they have their games on plus, right? Can we see this 2 past months as a way SONY has of helping MM? Or as something else?

Edit: Also wanted to say Days Gone will be the next Horizon...just watch ;)
finally someone else with some faith in days gone stick around

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
After certain moments in Gravity Rush 2 its seems like Toyama still wants to make some disturbing horror stuff.
What the fuck at Kali Angel turning into the fucking Thing!

Zukkoyaki

I really think Days Gone is going to resonate with the mass market. I'm not expecting particularly massive numbers or anything but I honestly believe it's going to do well and surprise a lot of people.

It has a lot going for it that the greater gaming audience beyond GAF will probably be into: Open-world, guns, zombies. It's basically The Walking Dead meets Sons of Anarchy with World War Z style zombie hordes. I already know several people who game but aren't necessarily as "hardcore" as many of us on here and they were blown away by the demo. If it plays well, I think Sony has a sleeper hit on its hands.

FelipeMGM

Oh cool, I look forward to Gravity Rush 3. Hope it doesn't take too long!

Well, it will be action/adventure, but doesnt sound like his next project is GR3...

Regarding the future of Gravity Rush...

”It's still a blank slate, but I feel like I've put my all into it this time, so if I make a sequel, I want it to be something new. For example, if there was new hardware that allows for a new way to express things, then I may want to make it."

What are the plans for the next title from the Gravity Rush team?

”Since the team is in good condition, I want to continue to use the their merits for a new title. I haven't thought about the new title at all yet, but I don't think it will be significantly different from the direction I've taken so far. I think it will be of the action adventure genre."

MCD250

After certain moments in Gravity Rush 2 its seems like Toyama still wants to make some disturbing horror stuff.
What the fuck at Kali Angel turning into the fucking Thing!
Hah, I said the same thing when I played GR2. I was like wow, suddenly you can see that the guy who made Silent Hill also made this.

MCD250

I never played the Siren games (are they good? I know at least some of them are on PSN) but I feel like a horror title from Toyama would be a pretty interesting addition to Sony's first party portfolio at this point in time. I mean, they did publish Until Dawn, but that game is rather meta and self-aware, and The Last of Us is more of a horror/action/stealth blend. A more pure horror experience would be neat to see. Though I understand Toyama seems more interesting in action/adventure at the moment.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Isn't the rumor that Toyama's next game is a horror game? At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he started helping out at Kojima Productions on making the horror elements of Death Stranding truly horrifying and disturbing. Might as well tap the mind behind Silent Hill and Siren.

Skeeter49

The horror genre needs Toyama now. If he did another horror game, not sure if I'd want it to be Siren or not.
Still need to finish Blood Curse.

The closet thing Sony has to horror is Until Dawn, which isn't exactly true survival horror.

AmuroChan

No it really isn't reality. 6 years isn't that long ago, especially when you take post-launch support and sales into account. Tearaway was developed by a tiny 15 man team and while it didn't sell well, it did review extremely well, which is why Sony hired Tarsier to develop Tearaway Unfolded. And as for Dreams, it isn't even out yet.

Zipper, Liverpool, Evolution and Cambridge may've been relatively small but they were closed down after numerous flops and/or fuck ups. More importantly, they weren't prestige studios in the same way Mm is. By all accounts, Sony are really proud of the way Mm's creativity stands out from the crowd. Why do you think Kaz Hirai got Mm to help him with his CES presentation a couple of years ago? Because he was bored?

We'll just agree to disagree. If Dreams bomb, I'll be worried about them. As I said, I LOVE MM and don't want them to close down, but if they're not generating a profit for Sony, I don't see Sony keeping their doors open just because they helped Kaz with a presentation a couple years ago. We'll see in time.

Isn't the rumor that Toyama's next game is a horror game? At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he started helping out at Kojima Productions on making the horror elements of Death Stranding truly horrifying and disturbing. Might as well tap the mind behind Silent Hill and Siren.
Nah, he said he is currently working on an action/adventure game.

We'll just agree to disagree. If Dreams bomb, I'll be worried about them. As I said, I LOVE MM and don't want them to close down, but if they're not generating a profit for Sony, I don't see Sony keeping their doors open just because they helped Kaz with a presentation a couple years ago. We'll see in time.

You don't let a studio like MM go. Flops or not.

The only real flop they've had is Tearaway, and it was still critically acclaimed. So they did their job, Sony didn't do theirs.

AmuroChan

You don't let a studio like MM go. Flops or not.

The only real flop they've had is Tearaway, and it was still critically acclaimed. So they did their job, Sony didn't do theirs.

I don't disagree with you. MM is a special studio, but it's still owned by by a publicly traded corporation. So if the game bombs because Sony fucked up marketing the game and their shareholders demand someone to take the blame, it's not going to be the Sony execs that take the fall but the studio. Also, I didn't suggest MM is in danger after Tearaway. I said MM could be in danger if Dreams bomb, which would make it two flops commercially in a row. Again, my original comment was regarding which 1st party studio is in most danger to be shut down next. So if you disagree about MM, that's perfectly fine, but do share what studio you think is in more danger and we can have a conversation about it.

Top Bottom