• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Pachimari

So what first party games are we getting for the remainder of this year? I count Everybody's Golf and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in August and Gran Turismo Sport and Hidden Agenda this fall. So three pretty cheap games and one full blown game.

She what first party games are we getting for the remainder of this year? I count Everybody's Golf and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in August and Gran Turismo Sport and Hidden Agenda this fall. So three pretty cheap games and one full blown game.

Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds DLC, and Knack 2.

She what first party games are we getting for the remainder of this year? I count Everybody's Golf and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in August and Gran Turismo Sport and Hidden Agenda this fall. So three pretty cheap games and one full blown game.

CC0pC9Z.gif

3 pretty cheap games I wouldn't necessarily call them cheap

Gt sport
Uncharted lost legacy

Everybody's golf,knack 2, hidden agenda

Playlink games

Pachimari

How could I forget about Knack 2. It looks like so much fun! But I think I wanna play this one together with someone. And when it comes to Horizon I haven't even opened my copy yet. I'm thinking of saving the experience for when I have a 4KTV someday.

Pachimari

3 pretty cheap games I wouldn't necessarily call them cheap

Gt sport
Uncharted lost legacy

Everybody's golf,knack 2, hidden agenda

Playlink games
I meant, isn't Everybody's Golf $30, Hidden Agenda $40 and Uncharted £25? Or something along those lines? With GT Sport being $60.

[edit] stupid dp. I was supposed to edit, not post ugh.

So what first party games are we getting for the remainder of this year? I count Everybody's Golf and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in August and Gran Turismo Sport and Hidden Agenda this fall. So three pretty cheap games and one full blown game.
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Knack 2
Horizon DLC

Horizon: Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds
Everybody's Golf
Gran Turismo Sport
Knack 2
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Matterfall
Patapon Remastered

Frantics
Hidden Agenda
Knowledge Is Power
SingStar Celebration
That's You!

The last five are the Playlink games. I have Matterfall and Lost Legacy pre-ordered, and I'm waiting for Wipeout to arrive from an overseas retailer.

Uncharted is basically a full-blown Uncharted game for a budget-conscious price.

Pachimari

I wonder what Singstar will be. It's very unfortunate that they abandoned the platform they had build up. It was really great. Celebration will probably have a very tiny library and let players vote or chose songs through PlayLink. Did we see anything of it at E3?

I should look into Matterfall later. I never really got into Resogun. I couldn't get into it the same way I did Super Stardust HD.

FelipeMGM

I meant, isn't Everybody's Golf $30, Hidden Agenda $40 and Uncharted £25? Or something along those lines? With GT Sport being $60.

[edit] stupid dp. I was supposed to edit, not post ugh.

Everybody's Golf and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy are U$40

Im not sure how I got this in my mind, if I read if somewhere or E3 busy week created this notion, but I think PlayLink games will be 20 bucks? Im trying to verify that so dont quote me on it just yet

EDIT: Jim Ryan in an interview with Eurogamer said that ''The games are going to be £20''

[URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-20-sony-confirms-reduction-in-workforce-at-infamous-dev-sucker-punch"]I think it is worth mentioning the Sucker Punch did downsize in 2014 after their last game.[/URL]

Not really, thats not unusual in AAA development after shipping both the main game and its expansions or DLC's for a studio with only one team

Zukkoyaki

Sony doesn't get enough credit for their consistent $40 AA releases like Ratchet & Clank, Everybody's Golf and Knack 2. I'm glad the mid-tier has made a modest comeback this generation.

Everybody's Golf and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy are U$40

Im not sure how I got this in my mind, if I read if somewhere or E3 busy week created this notion, but I think PlayLink games will be 20 bucks? Im trying to verify that so dont quote me on it just yet

I'm not sure which one is was from but I'm super sure Jim Ryan said in one of his interviews that the playlink initiative games would be £20. It was part of a larger point about brand new announcements vs known quantities on the presser though so not sure if that's what the exact price will be.

TsuWave

I'm kinda interested in Everybody's Golf. Seems like something i could enjoy with my girlfriend. I'll probably pick that up.

also, can we get a movement going like the cross platform play thing, to get sony to change the notifications to how they used to be?

PlayLink looks really cool to me, as a fan of simple local multiplayer games I can play with the wife.

But nobody knows about it because they relegated it to the pre-show. It'll probably flop and get forgotten about in 6 months, sadly.
Sony doesn't get enough credit for their consistent $40 AA releases like Ratchet & Clank, Everybody's Golf and Knack 2. I'm glad the mid-tier has made a modest comeback this generation.
And Wipeout Omega. And Crash too (realise that's Activision, but still..)

FelipeMGM

I wonder if that could have benefited The Order 1886.

I think it would have been a good fit for The Last Guardian too

I'm not sure which one is was from but I'm super sure Jim Ryan said in one of his interviews that the playlink initiative games would be £20. It was part of a larger point about brand new announcements vs known quantities on the presser though so not sure if that's what the exact price will be.

thank you, thats exactly what I was thinking about. Its from this Eurogamer interview

AudioEppa

Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Hidden Agenda

Wozman23

It works well for me, as the mid-tier has provided many of my favorites: Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Puppeteer, Tearaway: Unfolded, R&C. Value is relative, as I'd have gladly paid $60 for any of them, just as I did with the most recent Rayman games. I'm just glad Sony's found a happy medium to keep creating mascot platformers. Even when they don't sell like wildfire, it gives me hope that they can make budget sequels. (I doubt Puppeteer will return but I'm still waiting for Sly.)

I wonder if that could have benefited The Order 1886.

Reception aside, I think its budget was probably too high to cut $20. The press killed it more than the price. I do think it would be cool to see IPs try to establish themselves at $60, then cut back to $40 with large psuedo-sequel DLCs. I'd gladly throw $40-60 at Ready at Dawn to see what The Order had planned.

Hellblade should be a nice barometer for the budget-AAA idea at $30.

I'm curious to see how Knack 2 does as well. The original was underwhelming regardless of the $60 price tag, but the sequel looks exponentially better, and it's cheaper!

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Has there been any rumors/word on the type of game Sucker Punch is currently developing? I'm pretty excited to see what they have in store for us, hopefully in the future conferences Sony has lined up this year. I quite enjoyed my time with Second Son, despite its shortcomings.

Between Naughty Dog, GG, SM, Insomniac, and Kojima productions. Who you think will come out on top in terms of presentation (graphics, audio etc) by the end of this Gen?

Naughty Dog:

UC4
The last of us 2

GG:

Horizon

SM:

GOW

Insomniac:

Ratchet and Clank
Spiderman

Kojima productions:

Death Stranding

These games just look ridiculous

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Between Naughty Dog, GG, SM, Insomniac, and Kojima productions. Who you think will come out on top in terms of presentation (graphics, audio etc) by the end of this Gen?

Naughty Dog:

UC4
The last of us 2

GG:

Horizon

SM:

GOW

Insomniac:

Ratchet and Clank
Spiderman

Kojima productions:

Death Stranding

I think Guerrilla is the best in terms of tech, with Naughty Dog and Santa Monica tying for second and Insomniac and Sucker Punch equaling out for third. I don't consider Kojima to be in the same class of developer in terms of graphics, that coupled with the fact that they are using Decima Engine. I know people will give me shit for that but I'd be more impressed if they crafted their own engine. This is also true of Bend. They've crafted a beautiful game and I'm not trying to diminish their work but tinkering with and developing a proprietary engine is more commendable...to me.

They started hiring a few months later.

They were hiring again the following spring.

And bringing still more people on board last year.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they built a new motion-capture studio as well since Second Son released. Sony seems to have gone through a bit of turmoil with how some of their studios were set up at the end of last gen/beginning of this, but it mostly seems resolved now: SSM is stable and growing again after Darkside crashed, Bend are moving to a bigger studio to accommodate their larger team, Media Molecule have opened a second studio, and then we have Japan Studio which was a mess but appears to be improving under Becker's lead.

Naughty Dog:

UC4
The last of us 2

GG:

Horizon

SM:

GOW

Insomniac:

Ratchet and Clank
Spiderman

Kojima productions:

Death Stranding

TLOU2.

Shin-Ra

Has there been any rumors/word on the type of game Sucker Punch is currently developing? I'm pretty excited to see what they have in store for us, hopefully in the future conferences Sony has lined up this year. I quite enjoyed my time with Second Son, despite its shortcomings.
Mostly things in common with Second Son like a realistically rendered open-world with some more linear sections, scanned and performance captured human characters. From a design perspective they seem to be aware of their mission variety/complexity shortcomings. Third-person action-adventure with combat, random encounters and collectibles.

The standout difference, which may not be significant, is the inclusion of animals.

And Cerny said on Geoff's show that they have something like 5 internal teams there (and 200 developers)

I assume its something like Toyama's team, Knack 2, the Asobo team (Playroom VR) plus other two. That leaves room for a lot of potential unknown stuff

Gravity Rush 2
The Last Guardian
Knack 2
Playroom VR
No Heroes Allowed! DASH!

Though the majority of the GR2 and TLG teams should be on other projects now while Toyama's core team and GenDesign (assuming Sony's still working with them) start pre-production on their next games.

200 isn´t really much. If they were to make an AAA title it´d take the whole studio then. Even so many would have to be laid off because of redundancies. I don´t think we can expect AAA stuff from Japan Studio internally.

That doesn't happen in Japan because their employment laws make it extremely difficult to lay staff off. That's why shitty companies like Konami push employees they don't want to quit by making their lives miserable.

Elfstruck

I'm still baffled that Sony relegated GTS to preshow. That trailer was masterclass but it didn't have the spotlight it deserves. I wonder who get to decides what games/trailers get to be shown during the conference?

Angry Fork

I dislike how so many Sony games now are some variation of Uncharted type gameplay, but super serious and 'cinematic' with a million stop and go cutscenes. Then Gran Turismo 7 won't come out for 5 years probably with how slow they are.

I want a PS4 for Yakuza and a couple other games but the forseeable lineup is so meh to me, which is surprising since PS3 had so much shit. Microsoft and Nintendo lineups are much worse somehow though.

Zukkoyaki

I'm still baffled that Sony relegated GTS to preshow. That trailer was masterclass it didn't have the spotlight it deserves. I wonder who get to decides what games/trailers get to be shown during the conference?
That and Hidden Agenda should have made the conference. Both games look amazing and Hidden Agenda, a new IP from the makers of Until Dawn, would have made a nice splash during a conference that was light on new announcements. Would have also helped address the myth that Sony has nothing for the rest of 2017.

I'm still baffled that Sony relegated GTS to preshow. That trailer was masterclass it didn't have the spotlight it deserves. I wonder who get to decides what games/trailers get to be shown during the conference?

Someone who clearly doesn't give a shit about Japanese or indie games.

That and Hidden Agenda should have made the conference. Both games look amazing and Hidden Agenda, a new IP from the makers of Until Dawn, would have made a nice splash during a conference that was light on new announcements. Would have also helped address the myth that Sony has nothing for the rest of 2017.

Undertale and Superhot VR too.

Top Bottom