• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Donthizz#

I'm still baffled that Sony relegated GTS to preshow. That trailer was masterclass but it didn't have the spotlight it deserves. I wonder who get to decides what games/trailers get to be shown during the conference?

I think PD is going to have a conference/event of their own for the announcement of the release date.

There's really not a whole lot to be worried about for Dreams at this stage yet.

The balance sheets speak for themselves, Mm is a company in the green, despite years without releasing a big game.

Zukkoyaki

Wait what? Is that only so they can close both of them when Dreams is cancelled after years of not making progress?

Semi-joking but tbh I'm concerned about the future for them. It ain't looking promising.

I'm pretty sure it was a second, tiny office space to help accommodate some of their staff who have long commutes.

There's really not a whole lot to be worried about for Dreams at this stage yet.

The balance sheets speak for themselves, Mm is a company in the green, despite years without releasing a big game.

This too. Media Molecule makes money and helps to develop a lot of PlayStation's proprietary tech. Even if Dreams doesn't sell that well, I'm confidant they aren't going anywhere.

Between Naughty Dog, GG, SM, Insomniac, and Kojima productions. Who you think will come out on top in terms of presentation (graphics, audio etc) by the end of this Gen?

Naughty Dog:

UC4
The last of us 2

GG:

Horizon

SM:

GOW

Insomniac:

Ratchet and Clank
Spiderman

Kojima productions:

Death Stranding

These games just look ridiculous
Gotta give this one to Kojima. Decima engine in the hands of that team will push out some insane visuals. TLOU2 will be a close second. But Sucker Punch could come for the steal.

I wanna give a shoutout to Insomniac. The cartoony artstyle of Ratchet(I want another PS4 Ratchet!) and even Spiderman looks gorgeous. But I think Naughty Dog will win.

camac002

Between Naughty Dog, GG, SM, Insomniac, and Kojima productions. Who you think will come out on top in terms of presentation (graphics, audio etc) by the end of this Gen?

Naughty Dog:

UC4
The last of us 2

GG:

Horizon

SM:

GOW

Insomniac:

Ratchet and Clank
Spiderman

Kojima productions:

Death Stranding

Think Kojima might win this because they essentially have double the regular amount programmers working on the game. (Former Fox engine devs + GG)

Also I can see people will perceive the ultra photorealistic art style they are going for as better than the other games, even if it might not actually be technically better.

vivekTO

Naughty Dog:

UC4
The last of us 2

GG:

Horizon

SM:

GOW

Insomniac:

Ratchet and Clank
Spiderman

Kojima productions:

Death Stranding

They got this!!

UQAZBcP.gif

Planet

PlayLink looks really cool to me, as a fan of simple local multiplayer games I can play with the wife.

But nobody knows about it because they relegated it to the pre-show. It'll probably flop and get forgotten about in 6 months, sadly.
Nah, the core gamers would have just hated the "segment of non-games" in the show, that wouldn't have improved anything. They can still market it just fine.

I'm looking forward to it, too. Imagine how cool it would be to get the other titles like Hidden Agenda as Plus inclusive just like That's You! next month, too! *_*

I'm dreaming Sony adjusts the Plus program to include a core PS4 title, a PSVR and a PlayLink title each month, maybe a Vita one, drop the PS3.

Frostman

Naughty Dog:

UC4
The last of us 2

GG:

Horizon

SM:

GOW

Insomniac:

Ratchet and Clank
Spiderman

Kojima productions:

Death Stranding

I feel like it's impossible to pin it on 1 team. They all excel in their own areas.

ND will still have the best character models by the end of the gen with TLOU 2.

Guerilla have created in my opinion the most beautiful open world I have seen in a video game.

SSM with GoW is also looking unbelievable, but I believe they take parts from both ND and Guerilla. Their character models don't match ND (we have to see more TLOU 2 gameplay to make sure) and I think their world is perhaps on par with Guerilla, but they aren't comparable due to the fact that GoW isn't an open world. You really can't deny what Guerilla have achieved with Horizon.

If I had to rank them based on their current output I'd probably say:

1 - Guerilla
2 - SSM
3 - ND

Elfstruck

Wait what? Is that only so they can close both of them when Dreams is cancelled after years of not making progress?

Semi-joking but tbh I'm concerned about the future for them. It ain't looking promising.

MM is the more beloved studio at WWS. If Dreams fails, Shuhei will probably tighten the creative freedom that MM has.

Sony doesn't get enough credit for their consistent $40 AA releases like Ratchet & Clank, Everybody's Golf and Knack 2. I'm glad the mid-tier has made a modest comeback this generation.

We should make a thread about it!
;)

I agree, these nice prices on a lot of great titles is awesome!

FelipeMGM

Gravity Rush 2
The Last Guardian
Knack 2
Playroom VR
No Heroes Allowed! DASH!

Though the majority of the GR2 and TLG teams should be on other projects now while Toyama's core team and GenDesign (assuming Sony's still working with them) start pre-production on their next games.

oh I forgot that the No Heroes Allowed mobile game is JS internal and not ForwardWorks

Frostman

So this appeared on my FB home:

Fake?

Yep. I dont think we will be getting a Bloodborne 2. If Sony has any deal with From in place (which I don't think has even been confirmed, its just a rumour) we will probably get a new IP.

Which honestly is what I look forward to more!

Shin-Ra

I think I got most of SIE's 2017 games lineup here.

▻ PS4
Drawn to Death
Everybody's Golf
Gran Turismo Sport
Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Knack II
Malicious Fallen
Matterfall
MLB The Show 17
Nioh
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

▻ PS4 Remaster
LocoRoco Remastered
LocoRoco 2 Remastered
PaRappa the Rapper Remastered
Patapon Remastered
WipEout Omega Collection

▻ PSVR
Bravo Team
Farpoint
The Inpatient
No Heroes Allowed! VR
Starblood Arena

▻ PlayLink
Frantics
Hidden Agenda
Knowledge is Power
SingStar Celebration
That's You!

▻ DLC Expansion
Gravity Rush 2: The Ark of Time - Raven's Choice
Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds

MCD250

The Shadow of the Colossus remake seems like a curious decision. And mybe I just wasn't paying attention, but I don't feel like there was such a clamor for a remake of that game. I'd think a port of the HD version with updated controls would have sufficed. I don't know, it just seems like such a strange project for Sony and Japan Studio to busy themselves with.

FelipeMGM

The Shadow of the Colossus remake seems like a curious decision. And mybe I just wasn't paying attention, but I don't feel like there was such a clamor for a remake of that game. I'd think a port of the HD version with updated controls would have sufficed. I don't know, it just seems like such a strange project for Sony and Japan Studio to busy themselves with.

Bluepoint is the one doing the heavy work on this remake

Elfstruck

Sony Japan only supervising it.

The common criticism I remember in 2005 about Shadow of the Colossus was, "With all the slowdown and the scope of the game, it's like a PS3 game they made work on the PS2."

It'll be nice to get one with PS4-quality assets that runs smoothly.

Shadow of the Colossus is a pleasant surprise for me. I never played the original but have always heard awesome things about it. I look forward to playing it on PS4.

BigEmil

Dreams accepts local play right? 2 players or 4 players? This would be great to play community made levels like we play LittleBigPlanet levels

I'd be a LOT more excited about Shadow of the Colossus if the character models weren't so bad. Really hope they fix those and make them much, much closer to the original.

I think if a game is being remade or even remastered by new developers, not the original devs, they need to stick as closely to the original as possible and that goes doubly so for a classic like SotC. Any dramatic changes, like Wander's character model, is a big NO.

Cyberia

And Cerny said on Geoff's show that they have something like 5 internal teams there (and 200 developers)

I assume its something like Toyama's team, Knack 2, the Asobo team (Playroom VR) plus other two. That leaves room for a lot of potential unknown stuff

This number can't be right. According to Edge (who visited the studio earlier this year) SCIE Japan is Sony's largest development studio with over 300 developers.

Aside from SP game and From's new game, I think that's it for this generation. Other titles will probably be PS5 launch window games.

Death Stranding and TLOU2 will be the PS4 swan song.

This will be my 1st time playing SotC. Skipped it after playing and being lukewarm on Ico. If I enjoy it will be picking up The Last Guardian afterwards.

napata

Glad I never played the original in a way cuz I just kno that fanbase gonna be hard as hell on bluepoint. It looked beautiful to me

Well, they did kind of ruin the PS3 version and never fixed it. If the PS4 still has the broken physics then people should be hard on them. Or maybe the framerate is responsible for the physics changes and they can't fix it without locking it to 20-25.

I hope SP is still doing inFAMOUS b/c you can never have enough *good* superhero games. & I feel like they are going to tackle flying with their next project. The shift in traversal from inFAMOUS 1 to 2 to SS was amazing. The 3 forms of travel in SS were all so fun and different from each other. I really want to see them take it to the next level.

Aside from SP game and From's new game, I think that's it for this generation. Other titles will probably be PS5 launch window games.

Death Stranding and TLOU2 will be the PS4 swan song.

Where'd this PS5 kick come from? Is it because of that Digital Foundry article? It seems like some are convinced that it's right around the corner. That console isn't coming any time soon. And even in a scenario where it was, it's not Sony's style to just drop support for their console simply because they have another coming out.

delSai

I hope SP is still doing inFAMOUS b/c you can never have enough *good* superhero games. & I feel like they are going to tackle flying with their next project. The shift in traversal from inFAMOUS 1 to 2 to SS was amazing. The 3 forms of travel in SS were all so fun and different from each other. I really want to see them take it to the next level.

I'd love more Infamous as well but it will surely be a new IP

Zukkoyaki

Where'd this PS5 kick come from? Is it because of that Digital Foundry article? It seems like some are convinced that it's right around the corner. That console isn't coming any time soon. And even in a scenario where it was, it's not Sony's style to just drop support for their console simply because they have another coming out.

Because some people can't fathom the idea that maybe Sony and Microsoft just didn't want to announce a bunch of games that are 2-3 years away. Clearly the only explanation is that next gen is imminent :p

Personally I think PS5 is 2020. If it came out in two years I think it would actually hurt the industry given how long game development takes these days and how expensive it already is. Though I could be wrong. 2019 feels plausible but my thoughts remain the same. Besides, no one besides power-obsessed dorks on the internet are eager for a new box any time soon.

Pachimari

I cannot fathom some people in here either, talking about PS5 like it's as you say "around the corner" and that we know about all of the games coming out for the current gen. We'll get much more games than we know of, and this PS5 ain't coming earlier than 2020. They got a huge 60 million base, they won't abandon that anytime soon, and this gen is only now hitting its stride. People should really cool it with the PS5 talk.

Top Bottom