• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Just launch/first year type stuff. Infamous 2 showed Sucker Punch have it in them.

Agreed. The old combat just aligned well with the rage and the general mood (stabbing stuff, grabbing stuff and ramming it into other stuff, wildly swinging around chains, etc...). There wasn't anything particularly great about it though. Especially in comparison to other action games like that. The new combat is just different, not dumbed down.
Which is why I don't get why they didn't make a real full blown infamous game this gen. I hope there next title is something 3rd person at least.

Which is why I don't get why they didn't make a real full blown infamous game this gen. I hope there next title is something 3rd person at least.
I'm one of those who would take anything Sucker Punch makes - Sly Cooper, Infamous, new IP. I can understand wanting to spread their wings and try something new though. They've been working on Infamous for a while now.

The God

It's a side step. It's clearly different than the old games, I don't know why people are trying to argue otherwise. But the old games were also not that deep. New GoW combat seems to have just as much to offer from what's shown so far.

You guys either didn't bother experimenting with the combat or at least didn't research how far it could go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjTG5LpaG3o

I highly doubt GoW PS4's combat will reach what's in that video. And that's okay, it doesn't have to, but that's a step down to me.

GoW PS4 looks about as character action-y as the Arkham games

FelipeMGM

JRPG by Japan Studio + genDesign. That's the dream.

eeeh, I dunno

today there is a fairly good amount of quality, high budget JRPG's either out or coming, while there is nothing like a The Last Guardian in the market and Ueda is the only one who seems to be able to get something like it funded and developed

on the other hand, I would love a JRPG like Cry On could have been

It's a side step. It's clearly different than the old games, I don't know why people are trying to argue otherwise. But the old games were also not that deep. New GoW combat seems to have just as much to offer from what's shown so far.

While they were no DMC's, Ninja Gaiden's or Bayonetta's, the God of War's did have quite a bit of depth, GoW3 in particular. Learning how to chain together ridiculous combos takes quite a bit of skill. I can't think of a better melee combat system that's come out of a western dev.

You guys either didn't bother experimenting with the combat or at least didn't research how far it could go

I highly doubt GoW PS4's combat will reach what's in that video. And that's okay, it doesn't have to, but that's a step down to me.

This is the sort of really dumb hot take that makes it hard to take you seriously.

Cyberia

What is sucker punch up to?

New open world IP.

Speaking of Sucker Punch, former BioWare Austin writer (who worked on Knights of the Eternal Throne and Anthem) Ian Ryan joined the studio recently.

m9lmAm1.jpg

https://twitter.com/TheIanRyan/status/886966668294930432

Lead writer taking its job a month ago is a bit worrying.

Not necessarily. We got no clue what's going on inside Sucker Punch right now, for all we now this could be a ND situation where they might be making another game. Question is, what exactly are getting first, New IP or another inFamous game?

Nate Wells became the lead artist on The Last of Us just 9 months before it released. SP also picked up a former Telltale writer at the beginning of the year who served as lead writer and recently moved to being senior writer. Pieces move around during development.

The God

While they were no DMC's, Ninja Gaiden's or Bayonetta's, the God of War's did have quite a bit of depth, GoW3 in particular. Learning how to chain together ridiculous combos takes quite a bit of skill. I can't think of a better melee combat system that's come out of a western dev.

This is the sort of really dumb hot take that makes it hard to take you seriously.

Damn you really shut my argument down smh

You've been right this whole time

Or a Santa Monica situation where they cancelled a big game after years of work.

We would've heard of layoffs if something like that happened.

DmC from ninja theory has them beat.

That was largely based on the prior work of (and supervised by) Itsuno's team though and I wasn't a fan at all of most of their additions (especially the angel/demon mode stuff, which was bad when they did it in Heavenly Sword, let alone when they recycled it for DmC).

Damn you really shut my argument down smh

You've been right this whole time

What argument? All you've been doing is posting a bunch of statements with no argument behind them and then when someone posts a reasoned reply, you basically just say "nuh uh" and then continue on. That's not an argument, that's shitposting.

Ps4 GoW4 have different style of combat, doesn't mean it won't have its own high level combo like that video you posted. It might not look the same combo. But it can be as complex and deep on it's own.

GoW4 also have itd own unique tools like ability to call your axe anytime as well as support ability from the kid. The axe throw in particular looks very versatile. Apparently you can throw your axe and if you position Kratos so the enemy is in between kratos and your axe. You can hit the enemy from behind by calling your axe.

God of War with Arkham-style combat? Yes, please. Chained brutal executions sound amazing. Grunts should be one or two hit kills, not juggle fodder. Character action games tend to bore me 75% of the time. I totally prefer stuff like AC, Arkham, Mark of Kri, Shadow of Mordor, and so on.

The God

We would've heard of layoffs if something like that happened.

That was largely based on the prior work of (and supervised by) Itsuno's team though and I wasn't a fan at all of most of their additions (especially the angel/demon mode stuff, which was bad when they did it in Heavenly Sword, let alone when they recycled it for DmC).

What argument? All you've been doing is posting a bunch of statements with no argument behind them and then when someone posts a reasoned reply, you basically just say "nuh uh" and then continue on. That's not an argument, that's shitposting.
The ones that you've been flustered over for the past 2 pages
Ps4 GoW4 have different style of combat, doesn't mean it won't have its own high level combo like that video you posted. It might not look the same combo. But it can be as complex and deep on it's own.

GoW4 also have itd own unique tools like ability to call your axe anytime as well as support ability from the kid. The axe throw in particular looks very versatile. Apparently you can throw your axe and if you position Kratos so the enemy is in between kratos and your axe. You can hit the enemy from behind by calling your axe.
It totally could. Just saying that nothing they've shown so far points to that.

photogaz

I think more studios will look at moving towards a multi game cycle, especially Sony's studios.

For example, while Last of Us 2 was in early development, Naughty Dog are at full production on Uncharted Lost Legacy, then now will move onto Last Of Us 2 fully.

Perhaps Sucker punch are hiring for their next project to get started early?

RSchmitz

I think more studios will look at moving towards a multi game cycle, especially Sony's studios.

For example, while Last of Us 2 was in early development, Naughty Dog are at full production on Uncharted Lost Legacy, then now will move onto Last Of Us 2 fully.

Perhaps Sucker punch are hiring for their next project to get started early?

There's this ND interview and it seems they are already experimenting for the game after TLOU2.
http://www.thewolfhall.com/naughty-dog-new-worlds/

Seems like, instead of 2 full teams, now they have a project in preproduction and one in full production. Just like TLOU2 was in preproduction while TLL was in full.

FelipeMGM

btw, Clever Beans studio (WipEout Omega Collection/When Vikings Attack!) is already working on something new – https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/893456930215272448

that doesn't mean their new project is related to Sony, but still.

they have this job listing up

Programmers needed....

All levels of experience considered.

We are seeking experienced C/C++ graphics, gameplay and networking programmers to work on our next exciting AAA console project.

Applicants should have at least one previously published game under their belt.
We are also seeking graduate & junior programmers with a thirst to learn. Must have a relevant porfolio or demo of some sort (3d graphics written in C/C++ with DirectX, OpenGL or similar, or a fun gameplay demo) so we can see what you can do . No applications will be considered without this!

All roles are based at our central Manchester, UK studio where you will be working with our team of industry veterans.

?

Whilst Horizon has a lot of things going for it, I don't think its story/character development is one of them.
I greatly disagree but that wasn't the point of what that person posted. That was why I questioned how it wasn't a god example. The point was to show people can be hired late in development.

Auctopus

I greatly disagree but that wasn't the point of what that person posted. That was why I questioned how it wasn't a god example. The point was to show people can be hired late in development.

...and the point of my (half-joking) comment was that if we were to take that example as gospel, then hiring late impacts negatively on the game. It wasn't mean to be de-constructed.

Hellshy.

?

Whilst Horizon has a lot of things going for it, I don't think its story/character development is one of them.

I can't think of a better open world game in years with as good of a main story/character horizon . That includes witcher 3 in my book even though world building and side quests are far better witcher 3.

Top Bottom