• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

AndyVirus

I think Detroit will get a "summer" or "fall 2018" rather than a hard release date so they still have a couple months window to operate in. I would say Days Gone gets a "fall 2018" too but that's more of a PSX probability since it's (hopefully) the only chance it's at a PSX.

Memento

Anyone know what this might be? Can't find anything on heavyspectrum.com.

QIb641y.png

Jak 4

pswii60

Yes, because PS conferences have never delivered on hype this gen.
Yeah I agree they haven't. Probably the closest would be the Final Fantasy VII Remake and Shenmue reveals, but the first was barely in development and subsequently episodic, and the second was just an announcement of a Kickstarter project.

That said, it's still better than the competition, sadly that's been a low benchmark this gen.

Looking forward to this though, as Euro conferences typically have the more interesting games, even if they have fewer megatons.

Dabi

Yeah I agree they haven't. Probably the closest would be the Final Fantasy VII Remake and Shenmue reveals, but the first was barely in development and subsequently episodic, and the second was just an announcement of a Kickstarter project.

That said, it's still better than the competition, sadly that's been a low benchmark this gen.

Looking forward to this though, as Euro conferences typically have the more interesting games, even if they have fewer megatons.

Lmao if the 2016 E3 conference didn't deliver I don't know what does.

orochi91

Going forward, I'm not gonna take any 3rd-party exclusive announcements from Sony at face-value anymore.

Literally every major 3rd-party PS exclusive announcement this gen has showed up on other platforms (NNK 2, Nier, Nioh) or is being teased for other platforms (Yakuza, Persona).

Thankfully WWS has been consistent in churning out quality games so far this gen.

God of War, Horizon, Bloodborne, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, UC4 and TLL, Dreams, Detroit, The Last Guardian, SotC remake, The Last of Us 2... what more do you want?

RSchmitz

Going forward, I'm not gonna take any 3rd-party exclusive announcements from Sony at face-value anymore.

Literally every major 3rd-party PS exclusive announcement this gen has showed up on other platforms (NNK 2, Nier, Nioh) or is being teased for other platforms (Yakuza, Persona).

Thankfully WWS has been consistent in churning out quality games so far this gen.

As someone who prefers to play on PC I'm doing the same.
From now on I'm only buying first party studios games on PS4.
Sony did this to themselves with wrong labels.

Will be hard holding for stuff like Death Stranding but I fucking hate double dipping.

Playstation employee hypes up Playstation conference.

Big woop.

Sony generally doesn't hype up their conferences actually.

What the hell? Advertise your games Sony.

Uh, what on earth makes you think it's Sony's game? Heavy Spectrum is listed as the publisher.

You seem to have confused fanboy dreams with teases (at least at this point).

I have no idea why you'd expect those other games to be and stay completely exclusive anyway. Even way back on the PS1 and PS2, most of the big third party exclusives were ported to other systems eventually.

orochi91

As someone who prefers to play on PC I'm doing the same.
From now on I'm only buying first party studios games on PS4.
Sony did this to themselves with wrong labels.

Will be hard holding for stuff like Death Stranding but I fucking hate double dipping.
Death Stranding is absolutely coming to PC, at the very least.

It was announced as a console exclusive alongside a PC release, which has mysteriously vanished.

No doubt Sony wants to keep that under wraps; 1-year timed exclusivity at most, I'd say.

You seem to have confused fanboy dreams with teases (at least at this point).

Nope, those teases are straight from Sega itself.

RSchmitz

It really is time for Sony to acknowledge pc as a direct competition.

Or embrace it?
I'd buy their stuff there if they had a store that wasn't a joke like microsoft's.
I wouldn't buy their console but I don't buy 3rd party games and ps+ anyway.

The new CEO is the network guy, so maybe he pushes for it.

Nah, they have had several good to great shows.

mejin

Or embrace it?
I'd buy their stuff there if they had a store that wasn't a joke like microsoft's.

No doubt it's a possibility for the future.

I prefer Sony continue their own path just as much as Nintendo. Not a fan of what MS is doing.

That isn't a tease, more like the hopes of that Sega Europe employee.

Or embrace it?

Never going to happen*. Microsoft started porting their games to PC because it's a way the Xbox division can fit within the goals of the company. Sony, on the other hand, has no stake in the PC space at all, so no reason to kill one of their competitive advantages chasing that market.

* Outside of PS Now.

FelipeMGM

Shadow Of The Colossus PS4 was rated in Australia already. Release shouldn't be too far then, guess they will really hit that Early 2018 window

dont pay attention to the multiplatform thing, its a common issue in the AUS classification website

Dabi

Shadow Of The Colossus PS4 was rated in Australia already. Release shouldn't be too far then, guess they will really hit that Early 2018 window

dont pay attention to the multiplatform thing, its a common issue in the AUS classification website

So ready for this. TLG was my first Ueda game, and it was easily my 2016 GOTY.

The ending had me in shambles.

NKnight7

Neo Member

I never played the original so I'll probably check out this version.

Ishan

Hahahaha if these e3 haven't got you hyped dunno what will . Lol . E3 with elf shenmue for horiZon was literally insane

RossoneR

Banned

It was announced as a console exclusive alongside a PC release, which has mysteriously vanished.

No doubt Sony wants to keep that under wraps; 1-year timed exclusivity at most, I'd say.

This was before project got official name, before they chose Guerilla engine for game and before announcement of partnership with House and Sony.
There is bigger chance of Persona 5 and Yakuza games being announced for pc in next 12 months than Death Stranding appearing on other platforms.

Why does it matter if an exclusive game releases on the PC 12+months later?

If you didn't know it was coming to PC initially and you bought, played and enjoyed it on PS4, how does a later PC release retroactively affect your enjoyment?

I'll never understand posts like this.

Exclusives only matter in terms of informing what system you buy to provide access to those exclusive games. If you already own said platform the exclusive is releasing on, then why should it matter that it gets released somewhere else much later down the line?

So ready for this. TLG was my first Ueda game, and it was easily my 2016 GOTY.

The ending had me in shambles.

Minor Shadow of the Colossus spoiler:
The ending of Shadow of the Colossus has a little different tone than The Last Guardian's. It doesn't tug on your heartstrings like The Last Guardian's, but it's still an emotional ending.

Much bigger Shadow of the Colossus spoiler:
My avatar is from the ending.

camac002

Normally I'd agree but you have to admit that certain things were not anticipated. No one expected that they would be given a Sony first party engine and even have KojiPro employees working in the Guerilla offices. None of this technically precludes the game coming to PC of course but it's definitely turned out a bit different than your average 3rd party dev relationship that's for sure. For me it could go either way. It comes out on PC or maybe Sony was simply able to alter the deal with more $$.

2564fcb31118283ddea4ecfa184b14264ad8413be5faf8c7dd8e6775fa3ef323.jpg

The God

Why does it matter if an exclusive game releases on the PC 12+months later?

If you didn't know it was coming to PC initially and you bought, played and enjoyed it on PS4, how does a later PC release retroactively affect your enjoyment?

I'll never understand posts like this.

Exclusives only matter in terms of informing what system you buy to provide access to those exclusive games. If you already own said platform the exclusive is releasing on, then why should it matter that it gets released somewhere else much later down the line?

Some people would rather wait to play it on their preferred platform

klee123

One thing is for sure.

Nintendo is much better at keeping their Japanese third party exclusives actually exclusive.

I guess they pay much more than Sony when it comes to these deals.

sense

One thing is for sure.

Nintendo is much better at keeping their Japanese third party exclusives actually exclusive.

I don't think Sony is interested in paying for them. They know something like final fantasy, metal gear, kingdom hearts, yakuza etc... will sell more on their platform regardless of whether they go on other platforms. In a lot of cases, games are default timed exclusives anyways

mejin

One thing is for sure.

They always go for discredited series (is this the right expression?!). I mean they got Fatal Frame and Bayonetta when developers/publishers were not really interested to make new games and they locked it for them. It's not just about money, but being smart. At least, this is how I feel they get exclusives.

I also think Sony should look in the market for this kind of deal nintendo does and not only focus on console exclusives.

sense

They always go for discredited series (is this the right expression?!). I mean they got Fatal Frame and Bayonetta when developers/publishers were not really interested to make new games and they locked it for them. It's not just about money, but being smart. At least, this is how I feel they get exclusives.

I also think Sony should look in the market for this kind of deal nintendo does and not only focus on console exclusives.
I am thinking he is talking more about the 3ds third party exclusives plus something like octopath traveler

Going forward, I'm not gonna take any 3rd-party exclusive announcements from Sony at face-value anymore. Literally every major 3rd-party PS exclusive announcement this gen has showed up on other platforms (NNK 2, Nier, Nioh) or is being teased for other platforms (Yakuza, Persona).

I mean... Third-parties are free to put their games wherever the hell they like. The important thing is that Sony is working with publishers/developers to ensure these games come to the PS4 -- regardless of where they end up at a later date.

It's absolutely your prerogative to wait for ports months down the line, of course.

Rymuth

It really is time for Sony to acknowledge pc as a direct competition.

Going up against Steam is a suicide and a fool's errand. It's pretty much what MS is doing with their insistence on Windows Store exclusivity and it never paid off.

AmuroChan

One thing is for sure.

Sony isn't paying for every third party exclusive or timed-exclusive. Some publishers just choose not to port their games to other platforms until a later time or never at all. There's not always a "deal".

One thing is for sure.

3DS has no real competitor in its space, devs didn’t need to port anywhere else as financially it wasn’t worth it. Many times publishers aren’t even making deals with platform holders, sometimes it just makes the most sense to only be on PS4, or 3DS, Switch etc..

Sony isn't paying for every third party exclusive or timed-exclusive. Some publishers just choose not to port their games to other platforms until a later time or never at all. There's not always a "deal".

Exactly. They barely did anything to promote Persona 5, for example. A lot of these games are just exclusive/timed exclusive by default -- and that's fine if it's how the publisher/developer wants to approach things.

Loudninja

One thing is for sure.

I mean as long as they get the game on the PS4 It really does not matter to me.

mejin

I am thinking he is talking more about the 3ds third party exclusives plus something like octopath traveler

hmm, well this kind of exclusives are also on PS4, but I understand now.

Going up against Steam is a suicide and a fool's errand. It's pretty much what MS is doing with their insistence on Windows Store exclusivity and it never paid off.

If they want Xbox as a service they really have to protect their ecosystem and by that I mean they should perform better, to improve themselves to have a health competition. Since they went for both markets they are having trouble to adapt. Sony on consoles and Steam on PC are much better options. I'm inclined to believe this is happening cause they forced the concept too soon cause of the failure of XBO. They are paying the price for this, but it's not impossible to improve cause it's difficult to see they going down even more.

I'm against this romanced vision of "If it's not on Steam, I'm out". That's why I believe it's good to have sony, nintendo and valve trying different things. In the console market there is space if you do good like nintendo is proving with switch. MS can do it too, what we still don't know if they really care, if they really want.

The God

as the 3rd party exclusives slowly go multiplatform I think Sony should be looking at how to increase their development pipeline, whether that's with partnerships or new studios.

Not closing studios like Guerrilla Cambridge would be a nice start

as the 3rd party exclusives slowly go multiplatform I think Sony should be looking at how to increase their development pipeline, whether that's with partnerships or new studios.

Not closing studios like Guerrilla Cambridge would be a nice start
I think they will continue partnerships but I think instead of getting new studios, they will put more money into the studios they already have.

Not really sure why Sony would put games on PC. If they didn't consider it competition before, they should start to think of it as now. It would be foolish otherwise.

The current strategy is successful and the PS4 is doing extremely well. Why risk a selling point of your platform?

schaft0620

I think Detroit will get a "summer" or "fall 2018" rather than a hard release date so they still have a couple months window to operate in. I would say Days Gone gets a "fall 2018" too but that's more of a PSX probability since it's (hopefully) the only chance it's at a PSX.

My prediction is that Sony will try to have something once a month or every 30 days, including games it has marketing deals with in 2018. They will try to treat Spider-Man like a summer movie blockbuster.

Ni No Kuni 2: 1/19/18
Monster Unter Worls: 1/26/18
God Of War: late Feb 2018
Yakuza 6: March 2018
EDI: Red Dead: March/April 2018
MLB The Show: March/April 2018
Shadow Of The Colossus: May/June 2018
Spider-Man: June/July 2018
Detroit: August 2018
Days Gone: Sept 2018
Fall/Winter will be the usual games they have marketing rights on, Destiny expansion, COD, maybe Star Wars EA game.

Edit: They have the marketing rights for Red Dead so I think that comes out in March/April with God of War coming out 30-40 days before that.

Top Bottom