• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Eggbok

Lol ooo I can't wait
Neither can I lol!

Dreams beta date in 2017, full VR support with release in Q1/2 2018.

Colony Wars and G-Police VR remakes.

440.gif
440.gif
440.gif

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I think that TLOUP2 will be a 2020 PS4/PS5 cross gen game along with Death Stranding.

sense

People will be upset - if this is true
Many are expecting for a 2018 release, which is kinda nonsense.

Not surprised.

I mean they had very good turn around times during PS3 era so 2018 was not totally crazy but yes 2019 was always going to be safe bet.

I think that TLOUP2 will be a 2020 PS4/PS5 cross gen game along with Death Stranding.

You are absolutely crazy if you think the game will be out in 2020 lol. My prediction is first half 2019 but the latest it will be is fall 2019 but I also think there is a 50-50 chance ps5 will be out fall 2019.

Not cross gen but it will defs get a remastered version for PS5 (TLOU) imo. DS might end up being cross gen.
With ps5 most likely having Bc I am not sure if they will do a remaster or just give it a patch.

Kojima takes 3-5 years for sequels. Why do you think a new IP would be any shorter?

Kojima has an engine to use already. It's not like MGS3 to MGS4 where he had to develop a new engine for a new system, and then do so again from Peace Walker to MGS5. So that's working in his favor, I'm sure.

Really looking forward to seeing what the game will be. I loved MGS5, and Sony's more likely to give him the time/resources he needs over Konami.

goonergaz

WRT LoU2, what I don't understand is Cerny talked about dev time being shortened yet here we are with ND taking longer to release games...I don't want to dumb it down too much, but what am I missing?

WRT LoU2, what I don't understand is Cerny talked about dev time being shortened yet here we are with ND taking longer to release games...I don't want to dumb it down too much, but what am I missing?

You're missing The Lost Legacy which has come out between Uncharted 4 and TLOU 2. Also that Uncharted 4 was essentially rebooted when Amy left (differences in creative vision, not tech reasons).

Trago

ND should take as much time as they need with TLOU Part II.

No need to rush either, we got plenty of first party games to look forward to.

RSchmitz

"Time to triangle" is what is shorter. That is not all that makes a game. Time to ship a game increases with level of detail and amount of content too.

The game ended pre-production like last month and was announced like three months after it started pre-production >_>

-They threw out portions of UC4 when Amy left. That obviously set them back.
-They just released The Lost Legacy (most of the team was wrapping that up)
-Games are bigger than ever. Even though the PS4 makes development easier, it doesn't make up for how much more expansive games are now. This applies to even linear games.

The game ended pre-production like last month and was announced like three months after it started pre-production >_>
Source?

Zukkoyaki

You're missing The Lost Legacy which has come out between Uncharted 4 and TLOU 2. Also that Uncharted 4 was essentially rebooted when Amy left (differences in creative vision, not tech reasons).
They also did TLOU Remastered themselves. Naughty Dog's output has been fine this generation. Perhaps even impressive considering what other devs have managed so far and their staff shake-up.

I also expect TLOU2 in spring/summer 2019.

Mosse

Neo Member

If they were to make the exact same game they were making on the ps3, then it would probably be shorter. But games are more complex and ambitious then last gen. You can have higher quality textures, more animations, sounds and a lot of stuff that you couldn't before, and all that takes time.

Do you think Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 4 look and play identically?

Development is easier than ever but they aren't developed in a vacuum. Standards have risen enormously over the last 10 years, so devs have to do even more to keep up with expectations and stand out from the crowd.

mortal

Gold Member
Death Stranding is currently the title that I'm most anticipating.

I'm glad we don't know too much about it at the moment, and even knowing how badly I want a new trailer, I think I'd prefer much of that mystery to remain until an official release date is confirmed.

God knows I love me a Kojima trailer. Hell, I get put onto new music thanks to his trailers.

napata

Dev times aren't getting shorter. That's why most two team studios reverted back to a single team. To release a game in a reasonable timeframe they needed more people. Ceteris paribus dev time time might be shorter but they aren't making PS3 games anymore.

I think Death Stranding is definitely a 2020+ game. 4 years for a big brand new IP doesn't seem unreasonable.

Personally I do think at some point somethings gonna have to be done otherwise we’ll be looking at even longer dev times in the future
Right, I want that stuff to eventually plateau. I'm fine with not having considerable gains in graphics, textures, etc... if it means more financially stable games with focus on gameplay systems more than anything else.

-They threw out portions of UC4 when Amy left. That obviously set them back.
-They just released The Lost Legacy (most of the team was wrapping that up)
-Games are bigger than ever. Even though the PS4 makes development easier, it doesn't make up for how much more expansive games are now. This applies to even linear games.

Source?

I mean, they had all of their staff working on UC4 because of Amy leaving and then only had a few months before December 2016 to work at all on Last of Us 2.

And then their main development staff was still working on Lost Legacy until last month.

So they could still be in pre-production, but by the most optimistic estimates, they barely were able to start full production after Lost Legacy was finished.

Lost Legacy took a year, which was impressive considering some of the areas you encounter and the last chapter in general.

But to add to what others have said about games being more ambitious, take the most impressive set piece of Uncharted 2 -- probably the train. On a technical level, the big Ch. 11 sequence is more impressive and ambitious than in 2. The amount of road and paths you can take while driving, the wide open area you encounter when you try to catch the convoy, the transition to hanging from the truck, then outrunning the truck on your motorcycle, is more work and, with graphics being as impressive as they are, takes more manpower. That's not even taking into account that Uncharted 4 is a much bigger and longer game than 2 or 3 and especially 1.

Development and time it takes to make *playable code* is shorter. If they were using architecture as complicated as with the PS3, you can bet you'd be waiting way longer compared to the PS4's architecture.

Dev times aren't getting shorter. That's why most two team studios reverted back to a single team. To release a game in a reasonable timeframe they needed more people. Ceteris paribus dev time time might be shorter but they aren't making PS3 games anymore.

I think most people don't really realise that games this gen are orders of magnitude bigger, more complex and of higher fidelity than the previous generation.

Personally I do think at some point somethings gonna have to be done otherwise we’ll be looking at even longer dev times in the future

Guerrilla Games kinda hinted at a solution: procedural content generation. The way they used it in their tools, the map was mostly populated by "painting" features, instead of individually placing and tweaking elements. Several different layers of features interacted with each other, from geography to road system to water table; and changed each other.

This kind of tooling vastly reduces the time required to iterate on the map. I think adoption of similar technology in other parts of the art pipeline can vastly speed up dev times and reduce developmental costs.

Asset reuse and outsourcing are other areas that they can invest on.

Detroit's been confirmed for 2018. I think Days Gone is looking at a 2018 release as well.

Yeah, Sony was only putting 2018 dates on games that were coming out in the first half of 2018, david cage came out and confirmed detroit 2018, days gone looks like it could be 2018 but not confident enough to announce it yet.

2thepoint

With the change in leadership from Andy House to John Kodera, I really hope the single player cinematic focus from first party continues.

And with all that extra profit, maybe start opening some new studios within the WWS group.

Yeah, Sony was only putting 2018 dates on games that were coming out in the first half of 2018, david cage came out and confirmed detroit 2018, days gone looks like it could be 2018 but not confident enough to announce it yet.

If all goes well and Shawn Layden's, "2018 games are coming out within 12 - 13 months," comes true, then that would leave us with God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and Spider-Man in the first half of the year, and perhaps Detroit: Become Human, Days Gone and Dreams later.

In between you'd get everything else.

With the change in leadership from Andy House to John Kodera, I really hope the single player cinematic focus from first party continues.

And with all that extra profit, maybe start opening some new studios within the WWS group.

I'd love for Supermassive and Housemarque to join the family and get in on all the resources. Housemarque likes its independence right now, though, so perhaps they'll just enjoy the partnership as is. Supermassive I think would benefit as, from everything I've seen over the years, Sony is pretty good at giving their studios leeway, perks/benefits and resouces.

Top Bottom