• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Corpsepyre

Banned
there is no way they will replace kratos as the protagonist, after how much they promoted him the past months

Well, it only makes sense we find out what actually happened at the end of GoW3! His body was missing after he stabbed himself. They could take it anywhere, really. Maybe someone took his body elsewhere, maybe he jumped off the cliff and went to Hades to be with his family. Anything. I hope they just get good writers to write it.

Ricky_R

Well, it only makes sense we find out what actually happened at the end of GoW3! His body was missing after he stabbed himself. They could take it anywhere, really. Maybe someone took his body elsewhere, maybe he jumped off the cliff and went to Hades to be with his family. Anything. I hope they just get good writers to write it.

Exactly. There's also the detail that he never really got any power after killing Poseidon, and many people assumed he jumped off to the ocean and avoided death using whatever Poseidon left for him after he killed him, etc... Not sure how accurate that is, but I do remember getting some kind of power/addition from every boss kill, except from Poseidon.

Pachimari

I finally got Until Dawn on sale during black friday! But is there a way to get the extra chapter from the Extended Edition through the PlayStation Store?

Chobel

Guerrilla Games are also working on a new IP? http://www.guerrilla-games.com/jobs/job/game/level-designer@Itemid=22&&job_id=111

We’re looking for enthusiastic designers that are eager to apply their knowledge and skills while working on our new IP. We offer a chance to gain experience developing an AAA game and working with a talented team of game developers from all over the world. Your work will enhance the player experience by scripting interesting encounters and small side quests to simulate a living world. You do this by creatively using existing ingredients.

Via SegmentNext

Chobel

Don't they just mean Horizon?

In job opening section they mention Horizon by its name. It would be weird to change it now in their latest job opening.
I don't think it's possible that they couldbe working on two different new IPs at once. Not humanly possible. The other game has to Killzone.

Killzone is not a new IP though.
It could be a SSM situation where they're just helping a smaller studio with a project. It's probably just Horizon though.

If that's the case, this smaller studio will be the one announcing this new job offering and not GG. After all the job position is "Game/Level Designer" which means the new employee will have to work under this smaller studio.

DKHF

KeV3np.gif
I think GoW 4 might have been pulled from the PSX keynote at the last minute, but I guess we'll see it at E3.

I thought it was a studio Sony created to make projects for new hardware and peripherals.

Marty O'Donnell founded the studio after Bungie fucked him over, so nope. Sony's not even publishing it, as far as I'm aware.

I'm pretty sure Sony only announced three first party games before and during PSX: MLB The Show 16, Bound and Modern Zombie Taxi Company. A surprisingly light showing from them but I'm guessing they wanted to save God of War 4 and Bend's game for E3, as it's going to be a tough feat matching the 2015 conference.

Turkoop

Banned
sadly no Bend, no Santa Monica at this conference.

i wonder how they want to cram all that stuff at E3

To show Sony bends game & gow4 at E3 is the only right way, makes no sense to announce them via announcement trailer on x day
A lot of AAA titles must be shown at E3 after the less AAA titles at PSX..

DKHF

That is not an announcement you pull at the last minute
I don't really agree but regardless I'm glad they have held off on announcing it. If it's a March (like all other mainline God of War games) 2017 release I would prefer it be announced at E3.

With the KojiPro partnership out of the way, I'm guessing we're done with Sony this year as far as announcements go.

So, a overview of the general scope (not everything) of the stuff announced across 4 different Sony events and other misc reveals, like Famitsu, etc.

QPbb5dK.png

And what things look like tentatively for 2016 and beyond. I made some changes in the subcategory after PSX decided to mess up my template. -_-

pRn4sji.png

Sony specifically said they're publishing Kojima's game so it's first party.

Hmm, I had attached it to 3rd party given the nature of how the deal is struck by Sony's 3rd party relations and seemingly not part of Shu/WWS umbrella, but your point is valid.

I'll change it later to being under unique circumstances ala Amplitude.

FATALITY

Banned
Hmm, I had attached it to 3rd party given the nature of how the deal is struck by Sony's 3rd party relations and seemingly not part of Shu/WWS umbrella, but your point is valid.

I'll change it later to being under unique circumstances ala Amplitude.

nah its on the right place. Ms also published rotr, and that insomniac game and they are not 1st party

They've been using that four-omega animation for a little while. I think it was on the God of War III Remastered trailers. But yeah, we know what it means.

Yeah, Ascension already came out.
mwahahahaha
nope.
owning the ip is enough
Sony is going to own the IP for Kojima's new game? Is this confirmed - source? If so that would mean that Sony would publish the PC port, which I'd find highly surprising.

I don't want to derail the thread. I get what you're all saying though, so I'll concede.

Don't concede, it's a dumb list wars argument. Since when has owning the IP been a prerequisite for a game to be first party? So Crash 1-3/CTR were third party exclusives now? Spyro 1-3 were third party exclusives? Banjo Kazooie was a third party exclusive on the N64? Gears 1-3 were third party exclusives? This is some ridiculous moving the goal posts bullshit. Microsoft completely funded and published Sunset Overdrive, it's first party.

Don't concede, it's a dumb list wars argument. Since when has owning the IP been a prerequisite for a game to be first party? So Crash 1-3/CTR were third party exclusives now? Spyro 1-3 were third party exclusives? Banjo Kazooie was a third party exclusive on the N64? Gears 1-3 were third party exclusives? This is some ridiculous moving the goal posts bullshit. Microsoft completely funded and published Sunset Overdrive, it's first party.

As I understand it, and anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

Company owns IP + internal dev = first party

Company owns IP + outside dev = second party

Company doesn't own IP + outside dev = third party

It's not about list wars, just technical descriptions.

Joni

Yeah, Ascension already came out.
mwahahahaha

Sony is going to own the IP for Kojima's new game? Is this confirmed - source? If so that would mean that Sony would publish the PC port, which I'd find highly surprising.
It wouldnt be the first time they published on other platforms. Like after the psygnosis buy and with daybreak before they sold it. Getting the game might have been more important than having it really exclusive. But that depends on of they really are publishing it on PC.

Raylan

Banned
We don't know it yet. Sony said they won't comment on it...for a while.
Same happened with "WiLD". It got announced and we didn't get any informations regarding the ownership of the IP. One year later, Sony finally announced that they own the IP by trademarking the "WiLD" name.
So all the legal stuff about who owns the IP and who not will get settled later as it seems.

It wouldnt be the first time they published on other platforms. Like after the psygnosis buy and with daybreak before they sold it. Getting the game might have been more important than having it really exclusive. But that depends on of they really are publishing it on PC.
Sony is already publishing their own IPs on PC. See HELLDIVERS which is Sony's IP, published by PlayStation Mobile, on PC.

They don't have official definitions, so not really. Hell, second party isn't even a real term, the media/fans made it up.

If I were to try to define them, I'd probably based them on funding and publishing.

Kojima's game will be second party.

So it'll be first party then.

These are the definitions I use as well, but technically second party isn't an actual term.

Joni

Sony is already publishing their own IPs on PC. See HELLDIVERS which is Sony's IP, published by PlayStation Mobile, on PC.
Or thinking of it, PlayStation Mobile in general was Sony publishing on another platform. Deals like having Helldivers or this game first is worth more than absolutely refusing to publish on another platform.

Top Bottom